Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Corduroy: Teeth brushing is our biggest resistance and does not get done daily.

@blackbird: Jealous that you can have an outdoor party. The end of March we will still have snow here. I like the cookies and milk theme, nice and easy.

@Adira: He loves daycare. Today was quite a bit better. A small simple family party sounds good.

@silver1: That is a long trip alone. I hope that he is a good traveler for you.

2. silver1

apricot / 338 posts

@photojane: Thanks will look into the carseat. How did you seat your LO in the flight? J will have his own seat and too big to be in my arms the entire time.
    @ALV91711: Thanks! Have a few weeks to go and researching all kinds of toys and snacks to keep him occupied

3. photojane

cantaloupe / 6164 posts

@silver1: She was only 16 months and 20lbs, so she sat on our laps! I think having his own seat will make things much easier though! The Cosco seat is cheap, super light, and buckles in easily with a seat belt... great for traveling. We brought lots of snacks, a tablet with games and movies, sticker books, mini magna-doodle, and a few baby dolls. We had good luck with that stuff.

4. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@silver1: @photojane: The Cosco seats the one my parents got for their car. It's inexpensive and highly rated in Consumer Reports.

5. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@photojane: Update on potty training, please! I saw your IG pic, must be going good!

6. photojane

cantaloupe / 6164 posts

@Smurfette: It's going pretty well! Day 1 was HELL. I was ready to give up. The first half of day 2 was not good, but she did a little better that night. She's been doing progressively better since then. She filled up her potty chart by Thursday morning! We went out to lunch, to Target, and to my mom's today, and she kept her undies dry all day! It's been a challenge (diapers are WAY EASIER), but I'm proud of the progress she's made so far.

7. Smurfette

@photojane: sounds like great progress!! What are you doing at night?

8. blackbird

wonderful grape / 20453 posts

@photojane: omg that's so impressive!!!

9. Adira

@photojane: Wow! I'm so impressed! What is your potty training method?

10. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@photojane: Glad it is going good. What is your method? Are you still doing diapers at night?

11. silver1

apricot / 338 posts

@photojane: Wow that's so impressive!!
    @Adira: Thanks for the rec. Good point I can give carseat to my ILs after the trip.

12. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

How is teeth brushing going for everyone?

We've been struggling the last couple months. For Christmas I got him a new Cookie Monster toothbrush and some new toothpaste. He would hold it but not put it in his mouth, maybe let it touch his tongue. Tonight DH told him he had to brush his teeth or he wouldn't get his housecoat after his bath. And it worked. He let me brush his teeth, not very well, but at least it is a start.

13. photojane

cantaloupe / 6164 posts

@Smurfette: @blackbird: @Adira: @ALV91711: Here's what we've done, in case you need a point of reference for when y'all start...

I introduced the potty a while back, and started reading her potty books. I can give recs if y'all are looking. I also let her watch me go (not that I had a choice... can't ever pee in peace). When we started Monday she had only peed in the potty once before, but she knew what the potty is and what it's used for. We've also watched a few videos on YouTube. There's an Elmo baby video/song she loves. Last week she picked out some Elmo and princess underwear, and we've been talking about wearing those when the diapers go away.

First thing Monday morning I told her that the diapers were gone forever, and reminded her that we never, ever pee or poop on the floor... "Pee goes in the potty!" was our catchphrase for the week. We go through this a few times a day: "Do we pee in our undies?" "No!" "Do we pee on the floor?" "No!" "Where does the pee go?!" "In the potty!"

I started with undies, but realized it was easier for her to be able to feel the sensations and catch herself when she was waist-down naked. We will be doing waist-down naked at home for at least another week to reinforce. I keep a towel in one spot on the couch just in case, but she hasn't peed on the towel since day 1.

I also started by using a little potty seat, but realized on day 2 that she just plays with the little potty. Shes uses it as a little chair to watch TV. It must be confusing, because doesn't look like the potty I use or the one in her books. As soon as we started using the ring on the toilet, it seemed much easier for her. She also likes wiping, flushing, and then washing her hands (like mama), so she's able to get the whole experience with the ring seat. PLUS, I'm not cleaning pee and poo all day!

Most of the first two days was just asking Sadie if she needed to go, reminding her to go, and putting her on the potty over and over. I let her sit and play games/watch videos on the tablet, because she would forget where she was and let go of the stage fright. The first day was super frustrating, but I promise it gets easier!

We are doing pull ups at night. A friend told me not to do pull ups because it reminds them of diapers, but I'm not ready to do undies at night. Once she's day trained with no accidents for a week, I'll try night training. The pull ups at night aren't impacting her during the day though. We were out most of the day, then went to dinner with my IL's, and she kept her undies dry all day. I do refer to her pull ups as underwear though, and encourage her not to pee in them. She went to bed at 8:30 tonight, but called me in there at 10:30 to take her to pee.

That was SO MUCH information, but I wanted to share, because before I started I was completely clueless. Hopefully something I share will be helpful!

14. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@photojane: That is good info. I can't believe that she has stayed dry while you are out, that is awesome!

15. blackbird

@photojane: I am so impressed E shows zero signs of being ready, but loves to watch me go pee, yell "pee" at me, then hand me toilet paper and wash her hands, too

16. photojane

cantaloupe / 6164 posts

@blackbird: HA! well, it sounds like she gets it a little bit at least. Do they talk about potties at daycare?

17. blackbird

@photojane: not yet! She's in a small in home daycare and I think she is the oldest? There's a 14 month old and a 6 month old and she's 21 months. With her brother coming in 4 months, I imagine she would just regress anyways

18. photojane

cantaloupe / 6164 posts

@blackbird: There's really no rush anyway. Diapers are actually easier!

19. blackbird

@photojane: I know, that's what my SIL said! Plus....she poops 2x a daycare so we get all the easy pee! Plus, two in diapers can't be that much more work...

20. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

Just popping in to say hello! It's been a crazy busy week here. We returned home from Florida on Sunday and then had houseguests for a few days, also returned to work, and Pete has a terrible cold (no sleeping!). All in all, it was a bit of a mess!

But, we are trying to catch up on sleep, laundry, groceries, cleaning, and HelloBee this weekend!

@photojane: Way to go! Sounds like you are making a lot of progress! Thank you so much for sharing these tips. I don't think we're ready to try potty training yet but I will definitely use this post as a resource when we do.

@ALV91711: Pete will basically suck the toothpaste off of the toothbrush and then say, "all done." Then, I have to grab him, lay him on his back, and brush the teeth for real. Sometimes he laughs while I do this and sometimes he screams!

@silver1: Wow you are brave for that long flight! We just took a three hour flight to Florida. We put Pete in his carseat for the trip down and he slept for about 45 minutes in it. On the way back, we gate checked the car seat. He had more space but didn't sleep. Good luck with the trip!!

21. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: teeth brushing works well for us since he got toothpaste that he likes the taste of. The only days that are troublesome are the days that he cuts new teeth.

@photojane: wow so cool about Sadie being potty trained. B sometimes tells us when he went no. 2 but that's about it.

@QueensBee: oh no, hope Pete gets over his cold soon.

Things here have been a mess too. DH and I got sick with a terrible cold Christmas morning and are still not back at 100%. But the light at the end of the tunnel is that we had to work with B on his sleep issues because he simply couldn't sleep in our bed and he's now back to sleeping 7pm to 6am in his crib. It was a couple of rough nights though.

And as of today B is a big brother. He'll get to meet his baby sister tomorrow. Really excited to see how reacts to her.

22. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Pumuckl: Oh my goodness, congratulations! I can't wait to hear all about B's little sister! And I'm so happy that he's back to sleeping in his crib, just in the nick of time!

23. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

We are bracing for a long night ahead. Pete's fever got up to 104.5 today and he was a hot mess this afternoon. I was starting to get pretty concerned but then it finally went down to 102. Before bed, it was still at 102 but his breathing and congestion sounded a lot better. He also had a decent appetite, eating lots of crackers and applesauce, and drinking a lot of juice. Doc said to bring him in if breathing/coughing gets worse or fever hits 105. I really hope the little guy gets a good night of sleep and some relief in the morning.

24. Smurfette

@photojane: I am sure impressed!!!! So far Reagan doesn't get it but is wanting to sit on the potty for like a min. But she likes to "wipe", flush, and wash her hands.
    @ALV91711: R is doing so much better in the last month. She lets me do it now. She still just wants to suck the toothpaste and water. But if I tell her to say Awwww she will open wide so I can get some good brushing in on one side. It takes a couple times.
    @Pumuckl: So glad he is back to his crib. Especially since you have a daughter now. Congrats!!
    @QueensBee: poor guy!!! And Mom and Dad!

25. Adira

@Pumuckl: Congratulations!!!

Poor Xander must be exhausted. He's actually asking to go to bed and keeps saying "Night night."

26. photojane

cantaloupe / 6164 posts

@Pumuckl: Congrats!

@ALV91711: Sadie's had teeth since she was like 5 months old, so we've been brushing her teeth for a long time. I guess she's used to it, because she is always fine with it. She has started wanting to have a turn, but always lets me do it without any problems. We're working on rinsing/spitting though, so we can move on to regular toothpaste!

27. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Pumuckl: Congrats!! Hope you are doing good, can't wait to hear about little sister. Sounds like you got B back to his own bed just in time.

@photojane: We've had two nights success now. We had started when he was tiny but ever since cutting molars it has been a struggle.

@Smurfette: That is good that she understands the potty process. How often do they put her on the potty at daycare?

@QueensBee: I hope he gets a good night sleep and is feeling better tomorrow.

28. Smurfette

@ALV91711: just once a day for right now

29. photojane

cantaloupe / 6164 posts

@ALV91711: hurray for the success!! I get it with the molars. When Sadie was cutting the bottom two she would say "ouch! ouch!" whenever I was brushing her teeth.

30. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: Did he go to bed easily and did you put him to bed early? How are the weekends going with two at home?

31. Adira

@ALV91711: He went to bed really easily! He was a little whiney because he wanted to go straight to bed and skip brushing his teeth and changing into pjs, but otherwise he went down easily.

Weekends are definitely getting easier! Logan is going longer between feeds so now I can spend more time playing with Xander. And Xander has been acting out a lot less too. I can't remember the last time we had to put him in timeout.

32. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Adira: So glad that Xander's adapting well to being a big brother!

@ALV91711: Glad teeth brushing is getting easier!

Cross posted from the January board:
    We introduced B to his little sister today. I was a little nervous how it would go but he did great (and so did she - you could tell she recognized his voice). We went with the recommendation to not have baby in our arms when he came in and he ran right up to her and was all "baby, baby - Jo-Jo". Then he saw the Duplo truck that his baby sister brought him and played with that but he always kept bringing her the little lovey that is in her hospital bed whenever she started stirring and got really upset when she threw up. So all in all a great success. Now the next hurdle will be how he'll do at home once we leave the hospital.

33. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Pumuckl: Sounds like a good success in meeting. B is going to be a wonderful big brother. I hope it goes good when you get home. How many nights are you spending in the hospital?

@Adira: Good to hear that Xander is acting out less. I guess he is getting used to having a baby around.

34. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Adira: So great hear that weekends have calmed down and that Xander is back to his easy-going self!

@Pumuckl: Awe, I just love that she recognized his voice! So sweet! Please keep us updated to let us know how the transition from one to two goes!

Pete seemed to be feeling better this morning but took a turn for the worse in the afternoon. His fever came back about 16 hours after his last dose of Motrin and there's some discharge coming from his eyes. I'm staying home with him tomorrow and taking him to ped in the AM. He's been sleeping since 6pm but wakes up every 20 minutes to cry for a moment, it seems from discomfort, and then falls back asleep before I even get to his room.

35. Adira

@Pumuckl: Sounds like B did even better meeting his sister than Xander did meeting his brother! I hope things go smoothly for you all when you get home.

36. Adira

@QueensBee: Poor Pete! I hope he's feeling better soon. Hopefully he'll be able to settle and sleep okay the rest of the night.

37. Smurfette

@QueensBee: I hope you all get some sleep tonight. And he feels better tomorrow!

38. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Adira: @Smurfette: Thanks, ladies. We saw the ped this morning and he was diagnosed with ear infection, eye infection, and given a nebulizer for his wheezing cough. He's finally napping in his own crib now but I am so exhausted and feeling pretty sick myself. I'm going to drink lots of tea and EmergenC, and try to take a nap before he wakes up. The house is a complete mess but I just have to ignore it all right now!

39. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@QueensBee: Poor little dude. How did he do today? I hope he is feeling better soon and you both get a good nights sleep tonight.

40. photojane

cantaloupe / 6164 posts

@Pumuckl: So sweet! Sounds like he's going to be a great big brother. Hope your transition isn't too difficult!

@QueensBee: Oh man. ROUGH. Poor thing. Hoping the meds and nebulizer kick it all in the butt quickly.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee