My son is 2.5, and on the whole always has been a pretty good sleeper. We've (mostly) overcome some nap issues that have been a work-in-progress over the past 5 months. However, for the past week he's been waking an hour+ earlier than normal and has been crying and screaming for us. He's a kid that almost always babbles/sings/talk to himself/plays with his stuffed animals when he wakes, so this is new (and jarring). I think he did have an actual nightmare the first day, and we've talked about it a ton (he's brought it up) to reassure him. The first few days we were so shocked we went in to try and settle him, and then when I realized it wasn't working we stopped so we wouldn't set up a habit where he expects us to run in at the drop of a hat. We've talked about what to do when he wakes (he's pretty verbal and can even tell you he needs to play with his toys, close his eyes and try and sleep again, etc.), but in the moment he forgets (totally understandable) and it's been awful. Am I missing something? We're all walking around like zombies and he's acting out more than usual because he's exhausted. Is it a phase that will pass? Has anyone else's kid gone through this?