Hellobee Boards


Daycare/preschool closed - still pay tuition?

  1. Miss Ariel

    nectarine / 2210 posts

    Our daycare hasn’t yet billed for April and is still deciding what they’ll do considering it doesn’t look like they’ll be able to open this month.

  2. MrsSCB

    pomelo / 5257 posts

    We're still paying full tuition to both of our daycares -- small in-home for my daughter, non-chain preschool for my son. My husband and I are still making our normal salaries, so I'm fine with it. I want the teachers to still get paid, as I know they make so little to begin with. It's more complicated for those who are making less than usual or laid off/furloughed, though.

  3. bhbee

    cantaloupe / 6086 posts

    Our preschool (associated with a church, max 5 hours per day and most kids don’t go every day) just asked for people to pay half or more if they are able, but made it optional. Specifically allocated to pay the teachers. I think it was a pretty good approach, for sure some people will pay it all. We agreed to pay half since dh took a pay cut but we’ll be ok as long as he doesn’t get laid off.

    There’s basically no chance we’ll go back at all, the state has closed schools until May 4 and maybe later and preschool ends 5/15.

  4. AngelicOne

    persimmon / 1050 posts

    My son's preschool opened back up on Monday with lots of precautions in place, but I don't feel comfortable sending him yet. We just paid for April's tuition today, so guess it'll go to helping the teachers at least. (It's a small preschool with less than 50 kids and like 5 teachers).

    Regular schools are done for the school year here, but his is a year round school, so hopefully he can go back for a few months before he starts Kinder in August.

  5. superkate

    grape / 92 posts

    So our daycare is technically still open it's limited to children of essential workers.

    For everyone else, we were given three options:

    1. Pay 50% and keep your spot
    2. Pay 100% for two weeks then don't pay at all (basically giving two weeks notice). Spots will not be held in this case.
    3. Pay full tuition. They didn't list this as an option but mentioned a few families offered to pay full tuition.

    We decided to keep paying full. It's in our budget to do it at the moment and we want to make sure all the teachers will still get paid. Obviously if our situation changes we can go down to 50%, but we wanted to do full for now.

  6. codeitall

    clementine / 874 posts

    Our daycare is still open, we are in a stay home stay safe state but because I'm pregnant and my toddler had cold symptoms, we've have the kids home for 2 weeks already. I went ahead and mailed in April tuition in full even though we won't be sending them in April it looks like.

    We love our daycare and they just expanded this year from being in-home to a little center so I know they need the support. Plus they're making an exception to give my kindergartner after-school care when he starts this fall so I really want them to stay open!

  7. graceandjoy

    pear / 1565 posts

    We had to pay all of March (I forget when we stopped going, probably 2 weeks we weren't there). Email went out last week that we don't have to pay so far for April. If we had to pay I'd have to withdraw for now as I'm most likely being furloughed and daycare is the biggest expense we have.

  8. muffinsmuffins

    persimmon / 1023 posts

    Our daycare closed following the school system which was supposed to be March 13-April 6. Then the school extended to May 4 but maybe longer and daycare followed that. We had already paid for March but will be credited for the 2 weeks ish that we didn’t get to send them, and will not be paying until we go back. Ours is a centre daycare where I know many home Daycare’s are able to be open and are still charging whether you send or not.

  9. karenbme

    persimmon / 1419 posts

    We’re still paying during the closure, but our state set up a stabilization fund that will, theoretically, cover 50% of tuition. Our center is sending their first invoice to the state today, so we’ll see how it works, but I’m really happy that my state at least is doing something to help daycares and families.

  10. foodiebee

    kiwi / 662 posts

    Our school just furloughed all the teachers and is not charging us, but we've signed on to voluntarily pay anyway, along with most of the parents (at least who I know). We're closed until 6/4.

  11. JCCovi

    kiwi / 705 posts

    @karenbme: What state are you in? This sounds awesome.

  12. karenbme

    persimmon / 1419 posts

    @JCCovi: Vermont. If it works it will be great. We already have state funding for universal pre-k so the providers are used to getting payments from the state and the state is used to making them, so fingers crossed. The daycare shortage here is pretty dire (one recent study said there was only one spot for every 3 kids) so the government is really worried about maintaining capacity.


You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee