Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Entering Kindergarten Sept 2016: Moms Chat

1. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@looch: we do have to have a backpack - totes are not allowed - I would check with your school to see if they have a rule on this

2. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

We need a backpack with no wheels (since there are stairs). I'm not yet sure how big it needs to be and I have no idea where to go backpack shopping here.

My son has his first orientation this coming Monday evening! I'm excited for him to go see the school. I think it's more of an informational meeting geared towards parents rather than students, but I'm looking forward to it.

3. looch

wonderful pear / 26210 posts

I think I just have to wait and see. I think the supply list is last on the list of concerns at the moment, the school is still under construction!

And I can order something with next day shipping on amazon, it can just be a Jansport bag!

@lamariniere: Try a sporting goods store, that's where I bought mine when I was living abroad. They have kid ones, but they are more for active use. They also have them at the bigger grocery stores, in the office supply sections, I would think.

4. regberadaisy

GOLD / wonderful pomegranate / 28905 posts

@looch: jumping in only because I have our school supply list for universal prek. Standard sized backpack, NO wheels OR tote bag is allowed for us. But I needs to fit a standard folder because they have a take home folder. I'm guessing your size rule will be similar.

@lamariniere: Amazon? If need be, you can ship to my house from Amazon US and I can mail it to you if you want!

5. looch

@regberadaisy: Interesting. What is a standard sized backpack?

I kind of don't care about the backpack, lol. I might not even buy one and see what happens.

6. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@looch: Pottery Barn has a chart with sizing information. For LO's other backpack, I made sure to look at the height that it was taller than a standard sized folder. (13 inches)

7. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

Our Kinder placement testing is last week of July and the kids start 2 days after testing is completed, which is first week of August. So we drop off school supplies in July before school starts. We find out LO's teacher the day before they start! Which means, I am sure there are no changes....not that I would change. We have to put a depo$it in their lunch account two weeks before placement. I thought that was pretty early so watch out for that.

8. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@looch: @regberadaisy: turns out we may go to France before school starts, so I'll just wait until then. Buying anything specific here is always a nightmare.

9. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

Our schools use a three ring binder. So it has to fit at least that. The smaller PBK bag will hold a binder, but the large works much better when they have extra things to tote along (change of clothes, spring/fall jacket, library book, etc.).

10. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@808love: That's an early start! When does the summer break start?

We start late August and I believe we will learn who our teacher is at "Meet the Teacher" which is the week before school starts. We have to finalize our registration on July 27.

We order our school supplies from the PTA. I believe the PTA earns a bit and it gets delivered directly to the teacher. One quick payment and it's all done.

11. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@MamaG: I kind of don't want to post specifics (there's more to the story) because of privacy concerns. Not that I have a stalker...but if I did.

12. Pancakes

nectarine / 2180 posts

@MamaG: So did you end up getting the large PBK backpack? I have a feeling that's what we will end up with.

13. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@808love: Understood. Let me ask this question and answer only if you are comfortable? Are you in a year-long school environment? I have a friend that lives in a state different from me and they are considered year-round. So I think they start back early August too and they only get like a 6 week summer break (if even that long). They get more time off during the school year. It's different than my normal, and if that's your normal, I was curious on your thoughts about the different schedule. Again, totally ignore me if that's putting too much info out to the world.

14. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@Pancakes: I've ordered one. I took the advice of my daughter's BFF's mom. Her son had the small for Pre-k (also using a binder) and his bag didn't make it through the school year. She ordered him the large about 3 weeks before the end of the year and will use it for Kinder as well.

15. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@MamaG: There's even more to this story that would be an identifier but yes, we have a year round schedule and I love it! The kids and teachers are refreshed regularly as needed. Time to regroup, adjust and reflect. Kind of like a 'new year' within the year at the end of each quarter. Lots of room for enrichment and camps. We get to travel off peak.

16. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@808love: @MamaG: @Pancakes: and anyone else looking at PBK backpacks look at the height chart! The large is huge!

DS is almost 48 inches and this is the large - I love that its roomy but its long!

17. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

We used the Lands End bag listed for our Pre-K backpack (in the public school where she had to carry a three ring binder for communication and papers back and forth). She also had a hoodie in her backpack for most of the year and a change of clothes. When she took lunch, she'd either clip it to the outside, or put on the inside, depending on the day. The difference in size between the Lands End bag and PBK bag aren't much.

The photo is from her first day of school last fall, she was 42 inches tall at the time.

Lands End ClassMate Medium backpack: •18"H x 12 1/2"W x 7"D; 1650 cu. In.

PBK Mackenzie Large backpack: Overall: 13.75" wide x 7.5" deep x 17" high

18. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@MamaG: I don't know why they make them so long for kids!

My NF backpack (I'm 5'3") is only a tiny bit bigger than the kids - 19 x 13.5 x 8

19. yin

honeydew / 7917 posts

I bought the fjallraven kanken backpack (regular, not toddler) for LO in preparation for kindergarten. I made him pose for a picture for size.

20. Mrs. High Heels

blogger / eggplant / 11551 posts

@MamaG: We have that same backpack. It's a pink polka-dot one.

21. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

To size the backpacks perfectly, the bottom is supposed to go to where their waist bends.
    (That sweet spot will happen for about two seconds until they start to grow again.)
    Yesterday I had LO do a dry run with her initial Paw Patrol backpack. Showed her how to pack it in the morning (water bottle was tricky) and picked out a stuffed animal for the other side pocket. Was fun! Showed her to put the heavy stuff closest to her back and how to tighten her water bottle well. I also tested out which lunch containers she could open easily and which water bottle slid in most easily.

Now if I could just get DH to put LOs name on everything....

22. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@Mrs. High Heels: Ours is Navy. I really liked it, I'm not as in love with the options this year. So we are giving PBK an option. But of course, I ordered a last year pattern from PBK and they don't have a matching lunchbox anymore She'll be less than impressed with my purchase.

23. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@MamaG: LO was not impressed with my PBK selection as she gave a less than thrilled response. I got the navy with multi colored hearts. I chose it bc it was the most girlie girlie dark colored one that I liked.
    I guess nothing will beat the beloved Paw Patrol Skye backpack she chose. It is the right size and price so I think it will work out until she outgrows it or it gets filthy. (3D golden stuffed animal ears flop out of the back. ).

24. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@808love: I'm the mean mom that doesn't give character options. She found the lands end catalog and I let her pick one. I had been eyeing the flamingo backpack at PBK, as she loves flamingos. I ultimately let her pick from her lands end choice or the PBK choice.

After the fact she asked if I got the matching lunch box. Oops.

My girl would probably choose Skye over all other options too.

25. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

We had our first parent information session this evening. It mostly went over the hours (because pick-up is at a different time 3 out of 5 days), some health stuff and, most importantly, after school care. Our school ends at 4:00 most days and parents have until 4:15 to pick up. Every day from 4:15 to 5:30 there is a childcare option for an extra fee, which they haven't disclosed yet. The great thing is that it's a pay as you go service; you don't even have to inform them. If the child isn't picked up by 4:15, they automatically go to aftercare. It's nice to know that I can have that as backup if I need it since I will most likely always be at pickup right when school lets out. That also solves our Wednesday problem since school lets out at 12:00 on Wednesdays...now I know that, as far as pick-up goes, I can just come at the regular time, or even use the after care if necessary.

26. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@lamariniere: wow such a crazy schedule! What time does school start?

27. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@Mamaof2: doors open at 8, school starts at 8:25. The reason it's so crazy is because, even though the school is French and models itself on the French national education system (and hours) it also has to abide by certain Austrian laws. So one of the days is half an hour shorter to be under the weekly time limit and on Wednesdays they have 2 hours of mandatory religion class for Austrian citizens and anyone else who wants to opt in (those who opt out, like us, are done with school for the day).

I also found out that, by law, all students must have a (free) medical exam at the school at some point during the year.

28. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@MamaG: Our girls must have similar tastes. Funny that you mention the flamingo pattern. LO loved the flamingo water bottle and I refused to get it bc that's not my thing plus I was done spending $. I emailed her grandma who loves flamingos and so I think it might be in the mail.

29. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@808love: her love for flamingoes started when I randomly bought a flamingo stuffed animal. It felt random and out of the ordinary. She's named Pinky of course. After being dragged everywhere for about six months Pinky has black feet, poor girl. This was a year ago before flamingos were a thing! And last summers birthday? Paw patrol with Skye.

30. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@MamaG: Lol!! That random stuffed animal. Yes. LO names her animals like that too. Cat is Meow, Panda is Fiesta (name brand on the tag) brown dog is Brownie.

That Skye party must have been a blast!! Oh goodness, I didn't know flamingos were a thing. I was hoping Skye would still be 'a thing' with LO by the time school started and not cast aside. I think I bought the backpack on Black Friday. It was a long time ago...

31. sarac

pomelo / 5093 posts

1. Child's name (or identifier), date of birth - Beatrix, September 12, 2011

2. Type of program (public, private, charter, magnet, etc) - neighborhood school

3. How is your kid getting to school? - It's only four blocks away, so we'll just walk or bike it.

4. Special things about the program you want to share - My daughter's birthday falls just past the cutoff of September 1, but she's just now been granted early admission through our Talented and Gifted program. I'm so thrilled for her, it's a great school, she's really ready, and it's going to be fantastic.

32. looch

Question about uniforms...I need to order the shirts for my son, they're the basic polo style available in short and long sleeved. I was thinking about going with 2 short sleeve and 3 long sleeve to start out, plus a fleece jacket to extend the life of the short sleeved shirts. I don't want to be doing laundry during the week, so typically, I buy at least 5 shirts for my son. Any feedback or advice on what to do? Thanks!

33. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@looch: that sounds like a good start. I bought 7 shirts total just because LO is still growing into her small shirts so I know it will come in handy for future. Plus I am not that good at doing laundry consistently! We got all short sleeve and will layer with a coordinating solid color long sleeve base on colder days. We live in a year round warm climate. We have option between tshirts and polos but I like polos better. The kids like the tshirts. That's cool you have long sleeve polos.

34. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@looch: Its still hot here when school starts and my kids usually stay in the same size fall thru summer - so I would buy 5 short sleeve now that will work thru the whole school year - otherwise you will be doing laundry during the week

35. looch

@808love: Yeah, I am happy they have the long sleeved polos, my son would live in those. I am also glad they didn't do the oxford button downs, my son wouldn't be good with those.

@Mamaof2: That's exactly it, I don't want to be dealing with laundry during the week.

What I've decided to do is to get some shirts through the uniform provider (with the school logo) and then I will fill in from Old Navy and Gymboree. Given the price differences (cheaper by half) and the way my son treats his clothing, I can't be stocking up at the uniform provider. And plus, I am not sure there will be another ordering period this year, since there is a deadline for orders...who knows, lol.

eta: Since our uniforms through the provider have an embroidered logo, does anyone know if their school does a second hand sale? It's too new for my school just opening, but if I suggest it, do you think parents would go for it?

36. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@looch: our school doesn't require uniforms, but if they did, I would definitely be interested in a secondhand sale! It's definitely worth bringing up with other parents.

37. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@looch: Aren't you working with PTA this year? This is exactly the thing the parents would totally support! Great idea.

People who move, kids who outgrow sizes don't need the shirts. We don't have a secondhand sale but we have a uniform donation program set up. Counselors and health aide benefit as they use it for the needy and sick children. Once upon a long time ago, a student of mine threw up on me and my shirt caught some droplets. They gave me a kid shirt for the day!

38. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@looch: I have a friend that uses a school that requires uniforms. She's not had good luck with their second hand sale. She said the stuff is typically pretty faded and has extreme wash wear.

Is the school requiring the logo? My experience from friends is that they have to have the logo displayed. So for a boy, they pretty much are locked into the logo'd shirts. If you can get non-logo wear, I'd definitely do it!

39. looch

@808love: Yep, it's one of the things I want to kind of put on the radar, but I never know if my ideas are good ones or if parents would be "meh" about it. I like the idea of keeping extras in the nurses's office, that makes total sense!

@MamaG: The uniform is technically optional, but strongly suggested to build a sense of community. Basically, you could wear any color polo of the ones they selected and you could also sew on a patch of the logo. I am looking into digitizing the logo and having it added to stuff that I buy, but that's a longer term thing right now.

I have no idea if the provider quailty is good or not. I am not expecting it to be top notch, which is why for now, I am ordering some from the provider and some from other places like Old Navy.

40. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

Cute printable questionnaire for the 1st day of K

http://www.somewhatsimple.com/first-day-kindergarten-interview/

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee