Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Entering Kindergarten Sept 2016: Moms Chat

1. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@Mamaof2: thanks! I'm going to use it!

2. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

For anyone interested in storing/keeping schoolwork I thought I would post this link here

http://www.iheartorganizing.com/2010/11/school-paperwork-storage.html

I have a file box for each kid.

You will get GOBS and GOBS of papers sent home - I kept anything that was well done or funny in a big pile and then at the end of the year I went thru it again and made a much smaller pile of what to keep. DS just finished 1st grade and while going thru his 1st grade papers I went thru his K folder AGAIN and reduced it even more - I find over time you aren't as attached to papers - hahaha - so I think I had about 15 papers for his K folder in the end

1st grade brought home even more and I ended up with lots of gems - I imagine next year I will reduce that pile again.

Just wanted to pass along to others

3. tinyperson

pomegranate / 3858 posts

Who has recommendations for easy to use and clean lunch containers? We need to get on that so we have time to practice. We have a pottery barn lunch box to work with.

4. looch

wonderful pear / 26210 posts

@Mamaof2: I've got a pile of art work from when my son was 2.5 years old through now...I was planning on scanning or photographing all the stuff and then putting it into some kind of photo book, but I have yet to do that, lol and I don't know if I ever will.

5. Mrs. Yoyo

blogger / pomelo / 5400 posts

@tinyperson: We've been using the Rubbermaid Lunchblox for a couple years and have really liked them. Easy to clean and hold up well.

6. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@looch: personally I like to have the original

7. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

@Mamaof2: Ooh that reminds me I wanted to get a good file bin like that and limit the paper savings to one folder per grade.

8. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

9. Mrs. Tiger

blogger / pomegranate / 3044 posts

Popping in to say that K passed the early entrance to Kindergarten exam today, so now he's official! Need to figure everything out, t minus 1 month + 10 days!

10. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@Mrs. Tiger: I think it's awesome that you have the option for early entrance. It's a hard date in our district with no exceptions

11. Pancakes

nectarine / 2180 posts

@Mrs. Tiger: How exciting! My DD2 has a Sept birthday and I have no clue yet whether we will start her when she's turning 5 or turning 6.

I feel way behind on this thread! We don't start K here till after Labor Day so we still have almost 2 months of summer left. I ordered L her backpack, lunchbox, and water bottle from PBK over the weekend. She goes to Kindergarten camp for 4 days this summer and I'm not sure if she will need a backpack then. She chose the navy solar system pattern, so I hope she doesn't get made fun of for having a "boy" backpack, but she told me that she's going to be the first girl on the moon, so how could I argue with that??

Query: order school supplies on Amazon or take L shopping for school supplies the old fashioned way? Amazon makes it easy and I won't have to leave the house, but there is something special about picking out school supplies in person...it was always a fun tradition for me. What will you all do?

12. Mrs. Tiger

@MamaG: that's rough! For us kids born Sept 2- Oct 15 have the option. They have to score 90% on reading, spelling, and math to be admitted, and then they're on a 60 day probational period to start.

@Pancakes: my DS2 also has a Sept birthday but since he was a preemie with a rocky start (to say the least, haha) I am planning to not put him for the rest.

Regarding school supplies - I need to find a non-girly backpack with a cheetah on it, per K's request!

13. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@Mrs. Tiger: curious, your kids are expected to know how to read, spell and do math BEFORE kindergarten? Even the ones starting at the normal age? Here, they aren't expected to know any of that before starting. Of course, some will know these things, but the pre-school concept is pretty much non-existent here. They do gain familiarity with letters and numbers at daycare, but nothing really beyond that.

14. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@Pancakes: I believe your daughter will fit right in with all of the other confident kids! :-)Take LO shopping if you have time! That sounds like fun. I ended up recruiting LO to help with supply labeling. I wrote it on tape with a sharpie and she stuck it on. Totally inefficient but kind of fun.
    @Mrs. Tiger: That's cool. How did you find out your school does that? Finding a backpack like that is going to be really hard. I just did a search for you but no dice.

We finally received the PB backpack today. It's been a long while. It's super cute and LO likes it. Fits well but she might grow out of it before first grade. I hope not. I had no idea it has a chest clip in the front too. It's clear plastic which is kind of not that cute but that's ok. I figured a way to wrap and knot the excess straps so it's not dangling.

Also, LO and I had a cold for a few days so I'm sitting at home playing with my Instant Pot but not cleaning the house. I am also learning how to make fancy braids/hair-dos for LO via cutegirlshairstyles Youtube channel. ETA: there's an app too!

15. Mrs. Tiger

@lamariniere: I was not able to witness the test - they conduct it alone with the kid in a separate room, so I am not sure what exactly was asked. I know that K does NOT know how to read so it's not clear to me how he got a 91 on reading (was it really just listening & comprehension, are they just testing "early" reading whatever that is, etc) but he did say he had to fill in the missing letters/numbers in some sequences. For math, I'm not sure if he was asked to add/subtract or do patterns but we've worked on all of that with him, and they do a little of it at his preschool. He can spell his name and knows some "sight" words like did, bat, cat, etc. I don't know if every kid is expected to be able to do all this stuff, but I guess for those that we're arguing should technically go in a year earlier, the bar is a little higher. When really if he was born 2 weeks prior there would be no question. It's kind of ridiculous, I think they should just let the parents decide and still have the 60 day period where they can suggest the kid hang back and wait another year if necessary. But what do I know

@808love: I found out the option when I was researching the school cutoff date for our county. His daycare director also suggested it to me since she thinks he'd be bored next year if he didn't go. Thanks for looking for the backpack! I'm wondering if I can get away with getting a regular backpack with a cheetah iron-on or something...

16. Mrs. Tiger

@808love: just found this one which might work! Not too girly (not that K would care, haha)

17. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@Mrs. Tiger: I just think it's so interesting to see the difference between geographic regions/countries. Where we live, you cannot start public school before 6, no exceptions (we know a few kids who will turn 7 just a week or two after they start). My son will start private school (which is more flexible) at 5.5, but he is just squeaking in under the cutoff date by 2 days. On this thread, I've seen that there are a few older 4 yo's starting kindergarten whether it be due to cut-off dates or being academically advanced. It's interesting to me that a 4 yo and an older 6 yo could potentially be starting school at the same time.

18. tinyperson

pomegranate / 3858 posts

@lamariniere: and my daughter will be 3y 9m when she starts junior k. We have 2 years of kindergarten in Ontario!

19. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@tinyperson: other than junior k, what is the Canadian system like? Is it like the American system with kindergarten through 12th grade? I think the most important thing is that (with a few exceptions) kids start with their peers, so even if our school starts later and others start earlier, I would assume most of the time kids are around the same age. If we had stayed in New York, my son would have started kindergarten last year (at 4.5) in the public school system.

20. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

@Mrs. Tiger: is that the Wildkin brand? We bought that one and I ended up returning it because it was pretty small. They make a style that's one size bigger that I re ordered.

21. sunnyday

kiwi / 573 posts

@lamariniere: my DD will be 3y 10m and we are in same Canadian province as @tinyperson:

Start in JK here, then SK. Both are the norm, but technically kids are not required to attend until the next year, Grade 1 (but would be considered out of norm to wait). Then up to Grade 12. Jan 1 is age cutoff here. My husband is from a different province, there is only one kindergarten year there, and cutoff is Sep 1!

I have debated holding my DD out a year as she emotionally really doesn't seem ready, plus still naps 2-3 hours/day, but we are going to try it and see how things go.

I haven't begun to think about backpacks, lunch + snack boxes and supplies, eeep!

22. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@sunnyday: Thanks for explaining!

The thing I really appreciate with our (French) system is that it's the same everywhere (same cut off dates, same curriculum). We will definitely leave this country by 2019 and the plan is to keep our children in the French system. The hope is that they will have minimal disruption in their education like if they have to test into a grade level or something like that.

23. looch

@Mrs. Tiger: That's wonderful, congrats to you both!

I just finished the uniform ordering, it took me 4 orders, that's madness! I did Old Navy for the shirts, Gymboree for the pants, Childrens Place for the shorts and the uniform company for the logo shirts and fleece. Backpack remains outstanding, but I am not stressing about that...we haven't recieved any guidelines, and Amazon is my friend on that front.

24. looch

@lamariniere: That's my exact reasoning for putting my son into this program...it's the same no matter where you go (I am sure that it has to account for variances in the countries) but basically, we could pick up in a few years, move abroad and he'd be able to go right into his appropriate level in Europe. I think the one place where he would likely be behind is in World Language, as the school is going to be doing Mandarin Chinese and I really don't know what World Language would be in his theoretical future school.

25. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@looch: Do they start Mandarin the first year? Our school is taught in French and in elementary they have German twice a week. They don't start English until the 4th year. I don't know if the middle/jr/high school offers other languages outside of German and English. I hope so though (and I hope my LOs are interested!)!

26. looch

@lamariniere: They begin World Language in Kindergarten.

I know in the Swiss school system, they begin English when they are 8 years old. I have no idea what level that is. They instruct in German and then I believe they also introduce French, but I am not sure at what age.

27. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@looch: That's very cool that he'll get to start learning Mandarin so young!

Here, judging by the number of little kids who speak English at the playground, I assume the public school starts English the first year.

28. looch

@lamariniere: I am excited, my son will probably hate it, lol. I am going to try to learn alongside.

29. Mrs. High Heels

blogger / eggplant / 11551 posts

@tinyperson: I was just looking into this today, so came here to see if anyone had any recommendations. Otherwise, I'm probably going to go with the yumbox. I like that it's leakproof.

30. Mrs. High Heels

@Mamaof2: I have a storage bin just like that Walmart one taking up space in my garage. Now I have a use for it, yay! I have been decluttering, and that was about to go into the donate pile too.

31. Mrs. High Heels

@Mrs. Tiger: Congrats to K! Your IG pic was too cute - 99% in math is so impressive!

32. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@tinyperson: @Mrs. High Heels: This is what I am planning to use. I got this when LO was a baby and I used to make little bentos. It is still in good shape. Loved it so much I got two. Very easy to open, you can take out or adjust the mini compartments and easy to clean rubber inside. Nice small kid sized. Comes with a bag.
    https://www.amazon.com/Takeya-Bento-Lunch-Green-500ml/dp/B0028AN34U
    Or maybe it is this size: 650ml.
    https://www.amazon.com/650ml-Lunch-Bento-Green-Japan/dp/B001IJBMLI/ref=pd_bxgy_201_img_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=C6XQAP0A2M4DQW7FA52B

33. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

By the way, anyone interested in Name Trainer worksheets? I volunteered for my LO's 3 year old preschool teacher (whom I love so much!) and she had me make all of these name practice sheets for the kids. You can type pretty much anything into this template and print it out. The website is handwritingworksheets.com. There is print and cursive. The site is totally old school but when you print it out, you will feel so professional! (Just in case you are into that kind of thing!)

34. Mrs. High Heels

@808love: I have something similar that I got from Daiso, but do you find that the food shifts around and gets into the other compartments?

35. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@Mrs. High Heels: Not at all. The lid is flat right to the top of the container. As long as it's not soggy food like with juices but things like rice and crackers would stay put. I guess that's why you put it in the drawstring bag, so it's upright? We use it for everything. I dared to put spaghetti and it didn't stain either.

36. Mrs. High Heels

@808love: Oh ok, good to know. Thanks!

37. californiadreams

pomegranate / 3411 posts

i am joining this thread as i just saw it today....but DS1 will be starting JK in September. He will be 3 years and 10 months. We live in Ontario like a few bees have mentioned as well.

38. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@californiadreams: How does JK work in Ontario? Please Explain it to me like I have no idea because I don't really get why they have JK as opposed to a 4 yr old class.

39. californiadreams

pomegranate / 3411 posts

@808love: the way i see it is that the JK is the first year of primary school. it is not a daycare or preschool. it is the first year of school that goes all the way to grade 6 (i think, maybe it is grade 8 in ontario, i am not sure) and then high school. The structure is like a regular school too as far as i know. I will have to pack his lunches and he will be responsible for opening and eating his food. He will have to initiate when he goes to the bathroom and there is no nap time. All those things were organized for him in daycare/preschool, so that is the part i am nervous about for him. he will have to have all this independence all of a sudden and he is still only 3 years old!

Also, i am pretty sure the learning environment is more structured than preschool. But i cannot say for sure how much or little play will be incorporated into how they teach and learn in JK. does that makes sense?

40. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@californiadreams: Yes, thank you! Wow-no naps? Hope there is an early dismissal. Maybe they will have quiet time. I would have liked that option for my 4 year old. She was quite bored.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee