Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

April 2015 Mamas!

1. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@SunshineMcC: I have it at home but I'll try to write it up on here later tonight for anyone who needs some advice/suggestions. I definitely learned that there were some things I brought that weren't necessary too - so I'll mention those.

2. PawPrints

pomegranate / 3658 posts

@marionberry @SunshineMcC: I think Baby Center has a suggested packing list for both moms and dads/support persons. Dads are reminded to take a swimsuit to wear while mom is laboring in the shower - apparently hospitals don't like for dads to strip down for that

Is it weird if I'm 29 weeks and have not felt a single BH? No cramping or tightening or anything. Not that I'm complaining.

We settled on a paint color over the weekend, and DH is all set to paint the nursery this coming weekend. After that I can really get started purchasing and framing art, and getting LO's clothes organized into the closet.

3. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@SunshineMcC: it is nice to know that everything is ok.

@loki: welcome back, glad you had. Nice relaxing trip!

@NeekieRose: @marionberry: I can't believe you guys have dates already! So exciting! The mysterious waiting portion of birth is kinda driving me crazy, I'd love to have a definitive date!

4. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@marionberry: oh thanks, that will be so helpful!

@PawPrints: I don't think it's weird at all - my doctor told me that some women don't even feel contractions until they're the real thing. Laboring in the shower?? This is totally new to me! Is this is we want to just get in the shower to relax while we're in labor? I didn't even think about that!

5. PawPrints

pomegranate / 3658 posts

@SunshineMcC: I think it's fairly common, if your room has a private shower (all the rooms at our birthing center do). Second time moms, did you all labor in the shower at all last time? I get the impression a lot of women find some relief that way for a while.

6. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@PawPrints: @sunshinemcc: At our hospital, the nurses usually recommend that you labor sitting in the jet tub and not as much standing in the shower - less danger for slipping I guess. But a swimsuit for DH would make sense if he wants to stand in the shower with you. I've never thought about that since I had a c-section. Postpartum DH showered in my shower multiple times (no swimsuit) .
    @PawPrints: It's not weird that you haven't felt tightening or BH. That's a good thing. Just means your baby is likely to stay in there longer. Eventually you'll have these things happen for sure!
    @banana330: I always thought it was the exciting part of labor to have it be a surprise when baby was coming. While it's nice to have an end date in sight, I do miss that experience of going into labor at some unknown date and time - like knowing you'll get a surprise gift at some point but never knowing when.

7. brownie

grapefruit / 4110 posts

@PawPrints: I didn't with my son. I have a few times with this one but nothing painful. Granted with my son, I didn't feel most of the contractions even during labor so maybe that is a good sign for you.

8. PawPrints

pomegranate / 3658 posts

@brownie: Tell me more about not feeling contractions...

9. Mrs. Sunshine

hostess / cantaloupe / 6486 posts

@SunshineMcC: ha planning ahead is my way of tricking myself into feeling like I'm in control

@loki: glad you're back! Can't wait to see your nursery!

@brownie: @PawPrints: I didn't really feel mine either...the nurses kept asking if I have a high pain tolerance. I mean, I didn't feel the best Ive ever felt in my life or anything but it just didn't get painful until I was about to push her out!

10. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@PawPrints: I'm pretty sure I never felt and BH last time. But I started feeling them a few weeks ago with this one (actually pretty often). So to me, that's totally normal. Also, I never labored last time but I think the midwives encourage the bath not shower? Not sure. Might find out this time!

@Banana330: Since it's scheduled for a few days past my due date, I might still get that surprise for delivery! And I'm sure I will be anxious waiting those last couple weeks!

11. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@Mrs. Sunshine: @brownie: Having never had contractions, I like hearing these stories about not feeling them that much! I wanna be that lucky!

12. brownie

grapefruit / 4110 posts

@PawPrints: @NeekieRose:
    So, water broke in the morning. We wandered around the hospital for 8 hours. Started pitocin and I fell asleep. Had contractions throughout but mostly slept. 4 hours later broke my second bag of water. Then there was actual pain mostly in the front of my thighs so it was hard to get comfortable. Then 4 hours later my little man was born. So not too bad.

13. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

I promised I would provide my hospital bag checklist so here it is. Sorry it's so long, but I like to over-prepare. You also may not need quite as many things as me, but I was there for 3.5 days recovering, so I needed a lot more.

For You:
    Nursing Bra (some prefer this, but I didn't use mine)
    Underwear (mainly a pair or two in the event that your hospital doesn't offer the mesh panties, but believe me, you'll prefer the mesh panties!)
    Lightweight Robe and Nursing Nightgown (in event of c-section I'd bring two pair)
    Going Home Outfit (I do loose yoga pants, a loose tank and a sweater)
    Flip Flops
    Toiletries (face cleansing wipes, shampoo/conditioner, body wash, face wash, toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, shaving cream, razor, makeup remover)
    Hair Ties and Bobby Pins (perhaps stretchy headband if you're laboring)
    Glasses or Contacts (I don't wear them, but you might)
    Nursing Pads (unlikely to get used but just in case, bring a pair or two)
    Lanolin/Nipple Butter
    Laptop/Kindle & Charger
    Cell Phone & Charger (I buy a 10 ft charger cord because you never know where the plug in will be)
    Digital Camera/Video Camera & Charger
    Gum/Hard Candy (more for laboring)
    Towel & Washcloth (the hospital will provide these but they're usually really flimsy)
    Slippers or Sticky-bottomed Socks
    Pillow in Pillowcase (hospital ones are flimsy)
    Snacks (or send DH to the store some time after baby is born)
    Chapstick
    Boppy/My Breast Friend (I didn't use mine, but others have)
    Magazines/Books
    Notepad/Calendar & Pen (for setting up lactation and newborn appts) or use your phone to do this
    Insurance Information
    Breast Pump (only if you intend to EP - many hospitals have one you can borrow though, so somewhat unnecessary)
    Brush/Comb
    Makeup (minimal or basics)

For DH:
    Change of Clothes (I'd pack 2 in the event of a c-section) including Underwear
    PJs
    Towel & Washcloth
    Pillow & Pillowcase
    Comfy Blanket (leave in car until you decide you need it)
    Toiletries
    Flip Flops
    Phone & Charger
    Cash for Hospital Food or Vending Machines

For Baby:
    Carseat (pre-installed in your car)
    Going Home Outfit (we didn't use other clothes because he was primarily just swaddled with his diaper the entire time, but if you'll want them dressed bring more outfits)
    Swaddle Blankets (1-2)
    Warmer Blanket (if necessary, to cover baby when leaving the hospital, otherwise use swaddle)
    Mittens (1 pair)
    Socks (1-2 pairs)
    Baby Hat (most hospitals give this away though)
    Pacifier (if you'll use one; it's not generally recommended this early)
    Baby Book (if you'll want to have anything directly entered in it from the hospital; I didn't use mine even though I brought it)
    Baby Nail File
    Diapers & Wipes (only if your hospital doesn't supply them, which I think most do)
    Hair Brush

Oh and make sure you have extra room in your bag to take things home too! You'll get supplies from the hospital for you (can't live without that peri bottle), gifts for baby, etc.

Other second time moms feel free to weigh in since I didn't experience a vaginal labor.

14. PawPrints

pomegranate / 3658 posts

@NeekieRose: @marionberry: Our center definitely encourages laboring in the shower, and it was also highlighted in our Bradley method classes. The birthing center has one shared jacuzzi tub and I'm sure it can be preferable to the shower for some people, but obviously since it's shared it won't always be available. There's a lot of stuff online encouraging it as well.

@marionberry: Awesome packing list! We were just going over packing lists at our Bradley class tonight. Did you guys know that lots of people bring a cooler full of food to the hospital? (For not only during labor, but to have your preferred food to eat afterward).

15. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@PawPrints: Ahh, that makes sense if there is just a communal tub. At my birthing center each room has a private deep tub.

16. Mrs. Sunshine

@PawPrints: I sent my dad and brother to IHOP after I gave birth. lol they came back with food just as they were taking LO to the nursery...it was perfect and delicious! The cooler is a pretty great idea though! Especially because I ended up being induced. DH ended up not eating for nearly as long as I had aand almost passed out while I was pushing (hunger + being overwhelmed). If we had a cooler he wouldn't have to worry about that this time.

17. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@PawPrints: We went to the grocery store once J was born and picked up food for the mini fridge. It was awesome. We also picked up pizza and beer and such while we were there lol. A cooler is a great idea if there's no mini fridge in your room.

18. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@marionberry: that is an amazing list and so super helpful! Thank you, thank you! Did you pack an actual suitcase or more like a soft duffel?

@PawPrints: I had no idea you could bring a cooler to the hospital! That's awesome to know. I've been eating Popsicles non stop so I'd love to have some of those on hand. Are you able to eat/drink while laboring or does it depend on your situation?

@Mrs. Sunshine: I hear you! My hospital scare last week has me in overdrive trying to get things ready. DH & I got into a disagreement last night because I told him I was concerned that we weren't going to get things done and I wish he'd help more. It ended with me, crying on the couch while he was in bed because I just didn't want to deal with it, but then he came out and apologized and I went back to bed. I feel s lot better about it today but was just so emotional last night and feeling like he had no idea how I was feeling and why it was so important to get things done!

Anyone else dealing with that?

19. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@marionberry: yum! Pizza and beer! I told DH I want oysters and ice cold beer after LO is born!

I feel like there are lots of things like bringing a cooler, your own jammies, etc that aren't vommin knowledge or obvious but that make things easier - any other suggestions like that from second time moms or others?

20. Mrs. Sunshine

@SunshineMcC: I'm an emotional mess. lol I cry about a lot these days and am also having trouble controlling my complaining when it comes to how I feel physically and the tasks I don't seem able to accomplish any more. I was way more even keeled last time!

21. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@SunshineMcC: Large soft duffle for me and baby and then a small duffle for my husband. Then we just carried in our pillows and blankets. My understanding is that you can only have liquids during labor (soup is ok and so is jello) in the event you need an emergency c-section and you have to go under general anesthesia. I'm sorry you had that disagreement with your DH but it's pretty common. Us preggos start to nest and feel a need to get things done ASAP. Husbands don't get that natural urge.

22. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@marionberry: Thanks for the reassurance about the disagreement. DH & I have a great relationship and there is rarely any friction between us - so when it does happen, it feels like a really big deal! In any other circumstance, I'd just do everything myself, but it's hard because I can't paint, move furniture, etc. I was talking to someone at work today and she reassured me that all baby will really need is me when he's born, so to try not to worry! I'm trying to keep that in mind and say prayers to stay in the moment.

23. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@Mrs. Sunshine: I'm sorry you're feeling this way, but I totally understand. I was so upset last night in the bathtub because I had a hard time shaving my legs and it was SO frustrating! Ha!

24. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@marionberry: great list, thank you!!! Can't believe we need to start thinking about this stuff soon!

Just spoke to my OBs office.... No GD!!!!!!!

25. ineebee

pear / 1580 posts

@loki: YAY! Great news!

26. Astro Bee

pear / 1503 posts

@Pawprints: The rooms at our birthing centre each have a private jacuzzi, as well as a shower. They're both encouraged for labouring in. I think it's a great idea. I know how soothing I find baths now, and it's actually the only way I can shave my legs, though it is getting more difficult to maneouvre around. We're lucky that we have a very wide tub, with the sloped back and contours, otherwise I'd be like @SunshineMcC. To tell you all the truth, most days I am not bothering. Thank goodness we're deep into the winter up here!

@Loki: Glad you don't have GD; I hope you didn't spend your vacation needlessly worrying about it! Also, I asked my doctor yesterday if she had the results back yet. I'm in the clear, too!

27. Astro Bee

pear / 1503 posts

@SunshineMcC: DH and I had this disagreement over Christmas. We hadn't done anything for the nursery yet at that point, and he was reticent about putting in hardwood in there, which I had said I wanted when we first moved in, because there was "no time." But yet he has plenty of time to watch movies and tv after dinner EVERY night for months on end! There were a lot of tears...

There are a lot of things that I feel I can't do anymore, which are frustrating, but I know where my limits are and what I feel comfortable with. I've helped DH carry some heavy, bulky packages recently, but not far, and I dictated the pace. I also painted an accent wall in our bedroom over Christmas, after getting the okay from my doctor. It was low-VOC latex, and in a well-ventilated room, so there was no problem with it. I think it's important to recognize our own individual limits, and make allowances for that, including giving ourselves the permission to slow down when we need to.

28. PawPrints

pomegranate / 3658 posts

@loki: Great news! And welcome back. Share some beautiful vacation pics if you want to!

@marionberry @SunshineMcC: Whether you can eat during labor depends on the policy where you give birth. Our birthing center allows eating and my birthing classes really strongly encourage you to keep eating throughout labor to keep up your strength.

Our room will have a private fridge so we won't have to pack a cooler, but I need to do some thinking about what snacks we'll want. Fortunately our hospital is smack in the middle of our favorite restaurant-hotspot neighborhood so I should be able to send DH out for any food I might crave (farmer's market oysters, sushi, milkshakes, cupcakes, beer!) I may be looking forward to the post-delivery food more than I am looking forward to meeting baby

29. Mrs. Sunshine

@PawPrints: haha I've been planning my post GD test meal (it's tomorrow and I have to fast!) and my post delivery meal for weeks!! lol

30. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@loki: @Astro Bee: Hooray - great news on the test results! SO happy for both of you!

@PawPrints: OMG. Everything you just listed sounds so delicious to me right now!

@Astro Bee: Thanks for sharing. I feel very similar in terms of the amount of time we've been discussing what needs to be done. It's hard because I feel like such a nag, but am also thinking that it's been months since I asked for him to clear out the clutter and boxes, and it's just not done. sigh. You are so wise in terms of recognizing limits as well - thanks again for sharing!!!! Hugs!

Man, I am so excited at the prospect of this laboring in a jacuzzi tub and having a mini-fridge. I need to find out if my hospital has those amenities!

31. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@marionberry: That's quite the list! If labour goes well we can get checked out 4 hrs after birth (the midwife comes home with us) so I wonder how much of this I need.

I'm super excited for the post birth meal! mmm beer!

@Astro Bee: @loki: Yay for Passing!
    @Mrs. Sunshine: Good Luck tomorrow!
    @ineebee: The baby didn't go crazy last night either. Today's she's been more active than usual. Maybe she's not that sensitive to it or I'm a slow processor of sugar.

We got our preregistration package. There are deluxe rooms with a jacuzzi but it doesn't sound like there are many of them. So it will be luck of the draw when you arrive at the hospital.

32. lulu22

apricot / 306 posts

Hi All! I've been offline for a few days, I had a super busy long weekend and I am still catching up!

@marionberry: your list is amazing, thank you! I need to get my act together with packing a hospital bag.

@SunshineMcC: @Mrs. Sunshine: I've been super emotional too, it's really hit me in the last couple of weeks. Yay, third trimester symptoms!

@SunshineMcC: I feel like it took my DH a week or two to catch up with my frantic nesting, at first he was in denial about needing to get organized but then something just clicked and now he seems to be on board and is really making an effort to get things ticked off the list. Hopefully your DH just needs a little processing time and will spring into action soon. I sometimes forget that having a baby is a huge adjustment for DH as well as me, and that he might need some time to come to terms with certain aspects.

@loki: welcome back! hope your vacation was fab!

33. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@SunshineMcC: It's very true that your baby will only need you and somewhere to sleep/nap when he's born. We freak out about nurseries but you don't really use them until about 3 months. I will warn you though, my DH have one of those relationships too where we rarely argue, but the one thing we argue about now is our son - mainly differences in parenting. Sometimes under the stress of babies you're not always the nice spouse you once were. I say this because I want you to know that these arguments are normal, and expected, and if you can learn to work through them easily now, it will be much better when baby comes.
    @loki: @lulu22: You're welcome!
    @Banana330: You can probably remove a number of things if you're only going to be there 4 hours post-delivery. You won't need anything to keep you busy and you may choose to take a shower and get ready at home. You won't need blankets and pillows, etc. and DH probably doesn't need much either. The thing you won't know is how long your labor will go - if it lasts 24 hours you're going to be there 28 and so you may want more creature comforts. You'll still need an outfit for baby though.

34. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@marionberry: I figured as much... my DH has said he only needs one thing for delivery... Sandwiches...

35. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@Banana330: LOL that's great! Pre-packed or delivered to the unit ?

36. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@marionberry: pre packed... I swear he would skip birthing class cause he's convinced he only needs lots of sandwiches! I'll probably go in to labour and he'll be like hold on i need to make some sandwiches...

37. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@Banana330: HAHA. Men are so funny! Well just make sure he packs you a sandwich too for after labor. You'll likely be starving!

38. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@marionberry: screw that! He's ordering me a pizza!

39. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@Banana330: My kind of girl!!

40. lulu22

apricot / 306 posts

A question for those of you who use the Ovia app on an iphone - does the app include a kick counter?? I SWEAR I was reading somewhere that the app included a kick counter, but I can't find it on my android app. So I was wondering if maybe it was an ios feature only? I downloaded another kick counter app but it's not that great.

I had my 7 month OB appointment today, all seems normal, they gave me a tdap shot and now I am on the three week appointment schedule instead of every four... yay getting closer! My OB wants me to meet with the anesthesiology people next time so that I can discuss my specific pain med options.

Has anyone else noticed some of the trimester 1 symptoms creeping back? These last few days I've been so tired and have that sick-ish feeling again.... yuck!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee