Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2013 - Postpartum Chat

1. lawbee11

GOLD / watermelon / 14076 posts

@Mrs D: Exactly what @delight: said re: mesh feeders!

@delight: Is there anything else you recommend re: feeding issues? Our ped basically just said to keep offering and she'll eventually grow out of it. But I'm not that rational and keep telling DH she's going to be eating purees in Kindergarten! She can feed herself/bring food to her mouth. She just gags so easily...even on little things like puffs. The other weird part is she can stick toys wayyyy back there and not gag! But with food she does...I don't get it.

2. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

@Alivoo01: I only put B in the convertible seat as I bought it on sale and they had someone there who could install it for me. We still use her other seat in dh's truck. It was a sad day when she sat in her big girl seat

3. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

@delight: She loves sitting so high in it! She doesn't make a peep as she's so busy looking at everything. The only thing I don't like is I can't see her at all as the back is so high. I'll need to get a mirror or something

@Mrs D: We got our mesh things at Target, the same ones that were posted in that pic. They work super well! I haven't used it in a while as I'm trying to get more comfortable with solids, but they were a lifesaver for me! I think they're $6 for the 2.

4. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@lawbee11: I have an article on "What to do about gagging" if you'd like to read it. Just wall me your email and I'll send it.
    If your doctor has already ruled out structural problems the article has some ideas to help with gagging. Basically we recommend lots of oral play with toys, spoons, your finger etc. to let the child know that touching around the mouth is a positive experience. You can have her just play with a spoon and toothbrush during the day. Also, make the transition to thicker foods very slowly. Don't introduce mixed textures such as fruit or veggies in a liquid (like fruit cups or soup). It's best to just blend up whole meals like what you'd be eating so it's all one texture. I don't know if M is vomiting when gagging, but if she is, try to be unemotional about it, don't make a big deal. She's still so young and babies at this age are still getting used to new foods and textures so your doctor is right about introducing things slowly. At any rate if you want to read the article just let me know!

5. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@Mrs D: the rainbow theme looks so cute!

@delight: LO nurses 4 times a day, wakeup, after both naps and before bed. She dropped the before morning nap nurse a few months ago and I stopped offering the before afternoon nap nurse a few weeks ago. I wanted to make sure she wouldn't want to nurse before naps when I go go to work in July. She also nurses 1-2 x at night which maybe one day she'll drop. One day.

6. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

Happy Friday ladies and babies!!! We are doing "fancy Fridays" this summer so Kate has a chance to wear all her awesome dresses she was gifted!

7. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Mrs D: What a CUTIE! I was doing great with the weight loss. I probably should have known it was too good to be true. I weaned completely from BFing and am starting to PACK ON THE LBS! So terrible. It also doesn't help that Since mid May I haven't been able to work out.

We are already in planning mode (early next month! Whaaaat!?). We are doing pirates!

@Alivoo01: Safari! I can't wait to see pics from that! L is still in his infant seat too. Such a shortie. LOL

How many people are ya'll inviting? So far we have a whopping 46 people on the invite list. Please kill me now. I am hoping for extremely good weather because the inside of my house is just NOT BIG ENOUGH. I also feel like a few people shouldn't have been invited (great aunts and uncles) but they are all butt hurt about it! UGH.

@sapphiresun: Waste a weekend?? On their grandbaby's birthday? Whaaat? Who cares what weekend it is! sheesh.

@Grace: Oh there was some clothes pulling RIGHT after the pictures were taken! hahaha

@Ocean girl: she is SO CUTE.

@strawberrybee: She must be a gymnast in the making! I certainly couldn't pull those moves! I probably sweat my poor kid out during naps and night! HAH. I'm trying to get better. hahaha

@delight: thanks! Our trip was ok. The flights were fine, but the driving was long and the weather was shitty (the ONE week they are having bad weather was the week we are there. It is currently 32 degrees (89F) there. womp womp. Plus my dad got a super nasty flu, so he couldn't even hang out with us and slept most of the time we were there.

What a SWEET little girl she is, that pool is so cute.

AFM: AF finally showed up. I was so happy and then 2 seconds later wished it'd leave. I forgot how much I hate cramps. wah.

Sent out b-day invites already. cannot believe it!

8. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@Grace: ha, same for me and lugging the car seat! you'd think I'd have mucho arm muscles by now.

@Alivoo01: we share our car seat between two cars (two bases), so always had to take it out. Such a PITA.

@Mrs D: love the rainbow theme! And fancy fridays

@delight: I like the new Diono Rainier. Like, a lot ;). Just waiting for it to go down in price.

@lawbee11: I'm no help whatsover as my child can't shove food into her mouth fast enough, but my friend has a daughter with a super sensitive gag reflex like that (daycare was nagging them because they kept on sending the same thing for meals, but she's also a super picky eater). Hoping M grows out of it quickly!

@.twist.: AF showed up here today too, had to borrow advil from a coworker lol. But I'm pretty glad she showed up (she's been back for months now) as this means a) I'm not pregnant, and b) I'll be in the clear for our anniversary and vacation next week. Really need to get back on bc. <end TMI>

9. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@StrawberryBee: hahaha Oh my. I SO need to get on some type of BC. I can't take the pill though and I HAVE a IUD but I'm horrified to have it inserted. So... we've been using condoms for now.... *sigh* But yea, happy it came around so I knew I wasn't preggo....

10. Alivoo01

wonderful olive / 19353 posts

@StrawberryBee: @.twist.: Yay and boo for AF's return. lol And yay for no AF while on vaca. Those are the worst. What a party pooper.

@.twist.: Our current guest list is at 80 people with 22 kids. WTF. I know some won't make it, but omg. seriously?! I need to mail out C's invitations this weekend. So behind!!! (>_<)

11. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Alivoo01: Oh god. I feel deeply for you! That is so many people! How are you going to do it? I just can't even imagine. I don't know if I could survive! 46 is way over my comfort level already!

12. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@.twist.: Yeah, we're not using anything but me plotting when my cycles start and stop and taking a wide berth around the danger zone, so basically I'm banking on my body being very textbook 0_o. Not super smart. I still can't decide if I'm one and done. DH is early 40s, I'm mid 30s, we have the two older kids from his prior marriage with us every other weekend...

@Alivoo01: seriously, it's a beach vacation! It didn't even occur to me until last cycle that this was something I had to worry about, so I quick brought up my old cycle tracking apps and was relieved to see that it should hit the week before. Yay for a body like clockwork lol.

13. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@StrawberryBee: Oh I TOTALLY understand. We are not sure either. We have the boys every other weekend. They are a handful. We NEED a larger house, badly. But I'm not sure we're done.

14. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

For those of you with the big guest lists, where are you drawing the line on who to invite? Is it everyone you know? Or LO's grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins? Friends with little kids? Do your aunts, uncles and cousins make the cut? I'm curious because we could throw a big party, but I'm scared to figure out where to draw the line. I don't want anyone to feel obligated to come, but I wouldn't want anyone to feel hurt or left out.

15. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Grace: I cut the line at people with children. Close friends with kids, cousins with kids (on DH's side, because my side doesn't do big parties like that). There is a great aunt and uncle that have put up a fuss because they raised two of the young girls we invited so "technically" are "parental figures" even though the girls are old enough to come on their own and their real dad will be there with his FOUR other children.....

My original goal was to keep it to families with kids.

ETA: But, it really didn't work because my brother and DH's brother aren't married and don't have kids and they are very much wanting to be there! Which they should! They're his uncles! And my BFF is childless who also should/wants to be there! But she lives in another city, so unlikely that she'll make it anyway.

16. Mrs. Oatmeal

blogger / honeydew / 7081 posts

@lawbee11: Just a note re:mesh feeders. Ours got pretty gross after a few uses, so we bought the Boon silicone feeders. SO much easier to clean, with a big handle, too!

@Mrs D: I love Fancy Fridays! I might start that, too - DH's day off is Friday, and we always go out SOMEWHERE.

@.twist.: @StrawberryBee: I'm not on BC either, and I got a little worried this month when my cycle was super long. But...after testing....I remembered I have PCOS (lol), and obviously I wouldn't just magically have 30 day cycles.

As far as birthday parties go, we're not inviting my cousins, etc., because that would be a ton of people, and because I know they won't fly in to attend. But, there is a big group of babies at church who are all around the same age, and I'm trying to decide whether to invite them or not.

17. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@.twist.: I knew you'd understand :). Four kids just seems like such crazy pants. I'm not sure I can wrap my mind fully around that.

@Grace: For a lot of my family, distance is a huge factor (not bothering to invite them, as there's no way someone's travelling across the country for a birthday party ;)). For my coworkers, I kind of drew the line at people with young kids, but I did hand out invites to a few others with a "hey, if you're bored that day, stop by!". And a few that came to my baby shower...we're basically all really close. I didn't invite my older boss, or one guy who's just odd. For my friends, I'm pretty much inviting all (which is not that many lol) and the ones without kids can decide if they just want to hang out with our old gang and reminisce. I'm figuring that a first birthday party really is more about getting together than about children's activities.

What I don't want is for people to feel like they have to buy her a present, as I honestly could care less about that! I know that they will (two coworkers have already asked me what to get), but I just want to enjoy good times with good people and celebrate. Goodness knows the child wants for nothing.

18. Alivoo01

wonderful olive / 19353 posts

@Grace: We invited family and close friends. DH has 6 aunt and uncles and each have their own kids so that alone adds up to a lot of people. Our "adopted" family is large as well, there's 16 of them!

19. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@Grace: I saw on another thread that you go back to work this week! Good luck! I hope the transition goes smoothly. I didn't find it too hard, except pumping was a PITA.

Hope everyone is doing well. Just packing up to head to the cottage for a few days for our anniversary. Looking forward to spending a few days with DH and LO with no other responsibilities! Happy Canada Day and 4th of July ladies!

20. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@delight: aww, that's so sweet! Thank you! Yeah, I go back on Wednesday. Luckily, I don't have to worry about daycare yet. My mom is off for the summer, so she'll watch Paige for couple weeks and then DH will take his parental leave. So I know she's in good hands. And, since I'll jus be missing one nursing session and Paige is 10 months old, we got the go-ahead to use cow's milk at lunch. So no pumping, thank goodness. I really don't know how you all do it - you are rockstars for pumping so long.

Happy Almost Canada Day and Almost Fourth of July!

21. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

My baby turns one in 5 days..... aaaaaaaaaaaah!

He also starts at a dayhome on the 14th.

I don't know if I have talked at all about my daycare situation here? I THOUGHT I had him set up to go to a great daycare. Then I got a call late may saying that no, they didn't have any spots available until probably September... Um... thanks. So, I had to scramble to find a new place for him to go! I found a dayhome, recommended to me by a cousin I trust. I went there and since I have no other options, he has to go there. But I was disappointed in the floors (they were pretty dirty!), and the tv was on and seems to be a "background" thing. I don't even care about occasional tv, but I think they have it on all day. ugh. I'm bummed.

22. StbHisMrs

pomegranate / 3329 posts

@.twist.: & @StrawberryBee: On the subject of step kids/larger families, we have 5, it honestly isn't THAT bad, it isn't a cake walk but do able IF both parents pitch in. The older kids are such a big help for me, my youngest step daughter (6) makes everything a problem though. She's the baby at her Mom's house and could get away with murder there, not here so I'm the evil step mom

I haven't started the invites are decorations for C's party yet, cue freakout! Time to dust off my cricut and get busy! I'm not inviting a ton of people since my Husband is gone, just close friends ad family. Her theme is pinwheels, and it's coming up FAST!!

23. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@.twist.: five days! sucks about the daycare situation, but at least you found something and it's only temporary.

@StbHisMrs: just curious, what sort of vehicle do you have? We're traveling back with all three kids from myrtle beach, and the crv is packed! Had a truly awesome time though; the kids were absolutely great. Best vacation in a long while, though I'm still exhausted. DH is definitely a huge help on the parenting dept. I asked him if he wanted any more and he replied, "sure, that could be nice".

And ha, still haven't sent out our invites.

Our house sells at the end of this month, so now we get to pack and paint and otherwise run around like crazy people.

24. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@.twist.: oh my gosh! That's so crazy that he's almost a year old. Early congratulations on making it through the first year!! That sucks about the daycare though. Personally, I'd put Lukas on waiting lists for daycares that you like better. It's too bad you weren't able to swing it for it to work for September. DH and I have to cover an extra 6 weeks before LO gets into daycare, but it's almost par for the course since there's so few daycare spots available here.

@StbHisMrs: Pinwheels sounds so cute! Is hubby deployed? I can't remember. It's too bad he's going to miss it.

25. StbHisMrs

pomegranate / 3329 posts

@StrawberryBee: We have a Honda Pilot, we've gone to the beach in it with everyone and baby gear, it was tight but worked. We also have an excursion that we use when we need to tow the boat or go camping. The diesel excursion gets better gas mileage than the two suv's I've had

@Grace: Yes, he's deployed. He's been gone since May 3rd, still in the US until the end of July, but three states away.

26. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@StbHisMrs: yuck. Yuckidy yuck yuck yuck.

27. Mrs. Oatmeal

@.twist.: How?!?! I can't believe we're all getting ready to have one year olds! Sorry about your daycare situation...I really hope you're pleasantly surprised...and a spot in the other centre opens up soon!

K is going to start daycare the week of July 28. She's going for 2 half-days that week, then we'll jump into full time the week after when I start work. She'll be with my mom Mondays, at an in-home daycare T/W/Th, and with DH on Fridays.

Her birthday party is Aug 2 - cupcake theme! I'm probably most excited for cake...I'm making a few different types, and I know she'll just attack whatever is put in front of her. Girlfriend likes to EAT.

28. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@.twist.: Nooooo! It's not possible that he's so close to one! What the heck? I swear it was just yesterday that you posted the thread about your water breaking! Oh my goodness, this year has been a blur! Sorry you aren't happy with daycare situation. Once L is there and you aren't entirely satisfied, definitely try to switch. It's not worth worrying about it every day! We are going to a home day care in September but as soon as we walked into the house we fell in love with the Center and the provider. I really hope you can find something you love or that the one you are going to turns out to be great.

We haven't even figured out when we are having her birthday party. It was going to be Aug 8th but it's the day before we make an 8 hour drive up north to the cottage. We decided it's not the best time. Then we are at the cottage for her actual birthday, so not sure what we are doing yet.

@redsmarties: that's nice that K gets to be with your mom and DH a couple days a week. I'll likely keep L home most Fridays in the fall cause I do paperwork then.

I'm so nervous about her going to one nap in September. All the kiddos nap from 12-2:15 at the day care. Currently she naps from 10-12 and 3:30-4:30. Big changes for us in the fall. She'll have to go to bed earlier so she can wake up earlier. I'm not looking forward to this at all

29. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@delight: I'll have the same thing happening. The kids only nap from 1-2:30, but if she needs a nap earlier, they'll put her to bed (not guessing that would be very sucessful - how do you sleep with all that excitement going on). I talked to my friends and they said that the kids are so excited, they easily make it to nap time and then they crash hard. Might have to have early bedtimes to make up for it.

@redsmarties: Are you going to have a ton of different cupcakes?

Paige's party will be on Sept 6 and we managed to convince her grandfather to come out from Saskatchewan for it with football tickets.

30. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@StrawberryBee: @Grace: @redsmarties: @delight: Thanks ladies. Honestly, the people are so nice and I think L will have a GREAT time there. I just wish the floors would have been cleaner.

31. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@.twist.: tell yourself that the dirty floor is just helping to build his immune system.

32. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@StbHisMrs: I seriously feel like you are wonderwoman! My husband and I would love to have another one. We just can't afford one and don't have enough space for another one. So, until that happens, we are one and done! LOL.

@StrawberryBee: You make cute babies so get on it!

@Grace: I'm definitely going to see how it goes. Maybe it was just a bad day. haha

Is your party going to be Riders themed??? perhaps the best party theme ever???

@redsmarties: I cannot wait to see your cupcake themed party! Please tell me you're baking all the delicious desserts???

@delight: She may adjust her schedule before then for shorter, less naps! I know lukas has been having shorter naps these days. Sad days I tell ya. And maybe you won't have to do a big giant party after all. You'll be away! Just do a family party!

33. Mrs. Oatmeal

@Grace: @.twist.: Is it sad that I planned her party for before I go back to work JUST so I would have time to bake a zillion types if cupcakes and desserts? She's even doing two half days at daycare that week...so I'll probably be cupcaked out. @delight: k switched herself to one nap most days, as long as we stay busy in the morning she doesn't get grumpy, either. I'm sure you'll adjust to one nap- like others have said, daycare is FUN and the littles don't want to nap through it!

34. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@.twist.: Lol - my FIL and husband would think that was awesome! But we're in Winnipeg - can't allow that much Rider-ness in the city. Especially for Banjo Bowl weekend.

@redsmarties: Not bad at all! I'm sure LO's party will not even be half as good, simply because I'm not at home anymore.

35. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@.twist.: you're right,we won't do a big party. We will have a nice family celebration at the cottage! It'll save me some stress planning a big party! I don't want her to switch to shorter naps haha. I'm hoping once she goes down to one nap it'll be a nice, long one!

@redsmarties: what time is K's nap when she just has one? I was thinking about trying to switch L to one nap late August before daycare starts. I bet you guys are right, when she's kept busy at daycare she won't need the morning nap.

36. Mrs. Oatmeal

@delight: usually around 12. She wakes up about 7, and we are usually out of the house doing something from 9:30-11, to keep the crankies away. Then we have lunch and she goes down afterwards. It's a long stretch until bedtime, but we can't get her to nap twice anymore.

37. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@redsmarties: that would likely work for us. She gets up around 7-730 but will have to get up at 6:30 come September. I think she could make it about 5 hours if I kept her busy! We might have to do an earlier bedtime though.

Have you ladies started milk yet? I am thinking of starting homo milk this summer. I wouldn't mind cutting out the before nap nursing and maybe I'll just give some milk then instead.

38. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@redsmarties: Did her nap stay the same, or did she lengthen it at all?

39. Mrs. Oatmeal

@delight: we've started milk, but she doesn't like it. But she eats a lot of yogurt/cheese and drinks water from a straw cup, so the dr said it wasn't a huge issue. We are down to nursing just once during the 'day' (once when she wakes up, once between 8-5, then as much as she wants after 5) to get ready for day care. She snacks a bunch now between meals, but doesn't seem to miss nursing much.
    @Grace: on days when it's just one nap, she will nap for about 1.5-2 hours. So, for her, it definitely lengthened!

40. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@delight: I've started milk to replace the noon nursing when I'm at work. The doctor said it was fine to do it for one nursing session. My mom offers throughout the day while I'm gone and she's taking around 6 oz.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee