Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2013 - Postpartum Chat

1. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@delight: we started homo milk around 10 months, but he kept getting thrush, so we switched over to lactose free homo milk and things have been wonderful! I don't understand this milk allergy thing with him. He can eat cheese and yoghurt and other types of dairy, but not milk.

@redsmarties: I am not surprised! I wish I could taste them! Invent an internet sniff machine please.

@Grace: Those bombers wouldn't know what hit em!

2. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@.twist.: Aren't you from Alberta? What's with the Rider's love?
    That sounds pretty normal for lactose intolerance. It's something to do with the cheese and yogurt being half digested by the bacteria. They break down the lactose or caesin or whatever it is that he's not liking.

3. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Grace: I am. But my entire family is from Sask. so we have green blood.

That makes total sense about his dairy issues! Thanks for explaining that. Doctors told me to switch the milk but never really explained why.

4. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@.twist.: Aah, that makes sense. It's genetic.

5. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Grace: Either genetic or indoctrination... can never be too sure with those farmers.

6. Alivoo01

wonderful olive / 19353 posts

@.twist.: Holy moly. That means C's birthday is like next week. What the crap?! I knew it slowly creeping up, but omg!! Can't believe our babies are turning 1!!!!!!! (>_<)

As for transitioning to 1 nap, I didn't even think about that!!! DS currently naps the moment he gets to daycare because I drop him off early (6:30 and because he's still sleeping) till 8:30 then naps with everyone at 12:30 till 2:30.

7. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

@delight: I started giving B one bottle of homo milk around 10 months? I cut it with breast milk for the first while, and then just went to whole milk. She seems to like it. Right now she just gets 1 bottle of it a day, but I think I have to wean her pretty quick so she will get more.

I'm really sad about weaning, but with going back to work in 3 weeks ( so sad! ) I can't breastfeed with my schedule. We're flying across country next week so I would start weaning her now, but I don't think that would be a good idea.

I'm starting to get ready for her birthday party, it's on the 27th of this month. I think we said before, we're doing a butterfly theme. I ordered cupcakes through the girl who did our wedding cake. We're going to have a big bbq at my moms house as she has a nice big yard. I should get working more on her decorations but then it just makes it too real.

I'm sort of stressed about going back to work. It's not so bad as I know I'll be off on mat leave in Dec or Jan so that makes it easier. I just don't want to leave B with my MIL. She's getting crazier by the day. It's so frustrating. She's super wacky, and she doesn't listen to DH or I at all. On Sunday she was over and B was grabbing MIL's Ice capp. So mil is like, oh she wants some, can I give her some. Dh is like, uh no. She can't have that, it's full of crap and caffeine and she's napping in like 15 mins, don't give it to her. So she goes to the kitchen, gets a spoon and starts feeding it to her. Dh had to literally ask her 6 times to stop feeding her. She didn't stop until SFIL made her. She does stuff like that all time time. Asks us if she can have or do something, we say no, and then she proceeds to completely ignore us and do it anyways. I can just imagine the shit she will be stuffing down B's throat when no one is there to tell her not too. Sorry, end rant haha.

8. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@MrsB2012: Ugh, that would piss me off. I'm sorry you have to deal with that. Is MIL good in other areas at least? Or are you worried that LO will get all messed up (behaviour, sleep, eating) and you'll have to train it out of her?

9. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

@Grace: I'm 100% worried that MIL is going to ruin B haha. B is super chill and relaxed, just goes with the flow. However, she is extremely routine orientated. She must nap at the same time every day or it messes her up and it's really hard to get her back on track. MIL is super super overbearing, very over stimulating, and really high strung. I feel like B it's going to rub off on B. I know I'm really lucky to have family to watch B, but honestly, I'd 100% rather put her in daycare then leave her with MIL. It looks like my one cousin might be able to help watch B, so that will be a lifesaver. MIL is also going to their international home in Oct ( hopefully she doesn't decide to stay here) So she should only be watching B for 2 months or so.

10. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@MrsB2012: But I guess it makes no sense to put her in daycare when you go on mat leave again in 5 months, right? So you are kind of in a hard place?

11. Alivoo01

@MrsB2012: Oh man!! I'd be super duper frustrated with your MIL!! Hopefully your cousin can help watch so that it's less stressful for you and when you're back on maternity leave, all will be good again.

12. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@MrsB2012: I called my doc office today and they told me to wait til she's a year for homo milk. Then I took her to a well baby clinic this afternoon to have her weighed and they said anytime after 9 months. Sheesh! I'm going to start this week, just with a couple oz. I'm not weaning yet but today I decided to cut out the before morning nap nursing. It seems kind of pointless because she has breakfast an hour before. She went to sleep fine without it. Sorry that you have to go back to work soon It's so great that you'll be off again in a few months anyways! Amazing! Your MIL sounds like a real piece of work. You should set up a nanny cam while she's watching B!

13. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@delight: Mine refused the before morning nap session months ago. And then eats a ton after she wakes.

14. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@Grace: do you still nurse before afternoon nap? I find she still eats a lot then. For instance yesterday she woke from morning nap at noon, I nursed. Then she had lunch around 12:30. Nap time is 3:30, if I don't nurse her then and she wakes up at 4:30 then she will be going 4 hours without anything! So I think I should keep up this session or introduce WCM and a snack before her nap.

15. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@delight: I started dropping it a few weeks ago in preparation for going to work. I gave a snack. No WCM because I didn't want her drinking too much before she had to. Now my mom gives her a little WCM before her nap. She had to introduce pretty frequent snacks to make up for no breastmilk.

16. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@Grace: great thanks. I think maybe I shouldn't drop both sessions this week but maybe next week I'll drop that one. I don't really have to drop til September when work starts again but I want to get her used to not nursing during the day and I'll still need to drop the after nap nursing in the next little while as well. Sorry I keep asking you questions but are the snacks you give pretty substantial? We don't do snacks except when we are out we will give mum mums or crackers to keep her happy!

17. Alivoo01

For you ladies giving WCM, are you giving it cold or warmed up? DS will only drink an ounce if I give it to him cold, but will down and finish however much I give him if it's warmed up. Warming WCM in the bottle warmer takes forever so I'd like it if he just took it cold! I have quite a bit of a freezer stash of BM so I'm still mixing for daycare, about 50/50 per bottle.

18. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@delight: Yeah, and you probably at least want her to get used to not having any right before bed. I figured she could be distracted at other times. I still nurse during the day on weekends. I'd say the snacks are pretty substantial in that I keep feeding her until she will take no more and I don't necessarily want her filling up on mum-mums. It could be a half a banana and some cheese or I think I gave her a part of a pancake once. One time I just gave her lunch again and she ate ALOT. I should try some protein one time. An egg or chickpeas or something....

@Alivoo01: Cold. My LO doesn't even like warmed up table food, though. Why not warm up the milk in the microwave, give it a good stir to make sure there are no hot-spots and then leave it on the counter for a few minutes to doublly make sure there are no hot spots? Just make sure you warm it up in a mug versus directly in his sippy.

19. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

@delight: When I went to confirm my pregnancy at the end of May, I asked about WCM and she said it was absolutely fine. B was 10 months then so I think that's when I started giving it.

@Alivoo01: I usually warm it up, but she will drink it cold as well. I just pop it in the microwave for about 25 seconds then swirl it around.

20. Mrs. Oatmeal

blogger / honeydew / 7081 posts

@delight: we were told anything after about 9-10 months was okay for WCM. K won't drink it though! @Alivoo01: WCM goes down a little better if it's warmed, but it ends up being a waste cause she only drinks like 1/2 an ounce.

21. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@Mrs. Oatmeal: YOU'RE A BLOGGER!!!!! Congratulations! I had to be a snoopy snooperson to figure out who you were.

22. Mrs. Oatmeal

@Grace: I should probably preface all comments today with "BTW, it's redsmarties" lol

23. StrawberryBee

nectarine / 2530 posts

@Mrs. Oatmeal: ahhh so cool! congrats!

24. Alivoo01

@Mrs. Oatmeal: Seriously because I did the crazy look left to right head motion thing trying to figure out who you were! hahaha! I'm good now! Congrats!!!

@MrsB2012: I didn't think about microwaving it! It'd be much faster than the bottle warmer. I put it on like 9 minutes and after swirling, it was still cold! Arg.

25. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

@Mrs. Oatmeal: woa! Congrats Miss blogger!! I was like, who the heck is this mrs oatmeal chiming in haha.

@Alivoo01: haha yeah 30 seconds beats 9 minutes in a bottle warmer

26. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@Mrs. Oatmeal: what the heck? Who are you?! Hahah! Congrats on being a blogger! You should do some speech and language blogs!! I'll have to report back with my WCM experience...still haven't bought any. Planning on starting soon though! L drinks everything cold now so I'm hoping she'll be happy to chug a cold glass of milk when we start! Looking forward to your blogs!

27. Mrs. Oatmeal

@delight: haha I know...I even forget who I am still. And yes- I was looking through K's toys today trying to pull ideas together for a language development post! Might have to pick your brain!

28. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@Mrs. Oatmeal: You should totally do a language development post! Then I can stop freaking out that P is barely babbling.

29. skipper2010

kiwi / 597 posts

@Alivoo01: I plan on giving it cold. I'm waiting until his first Birthday to try it. He likes cold yo-baby yogurt so I'm hoping he won't mind this either.

I seriously cannot get over the fact that our babies will all be ONE soon! When and how did this happen?? Mind blown!

30. Alivoo01

@delight: @skipper2010: DS will sip/drink cold water, and will have an ounce of cold milk, but that's it. Warm it up, and BAM! 8 ounces of warm milk down in no time.

31. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

AAAAAh. My baby is ONEEEEEEEEE.

32. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@.twist.: Awww!! Happy Birthday Lukas!!!

33. BabyMats

nectarine / 2031 posts

@.twist.: awwww..Happy birthday sweet boy!!

34. Alivoo01

@.twist.: Happy 1st Birthday Lukas!!!

How did you get him to sit still enough to take a clear picture??? Amazing!!! *applause* lol

35. BabyMats

nectarine / 2031 posts

@Mrs. Oatmeal: congrats on being a blogger. .I have to admit I totally stalked to figure out who u were haha

I plan on giving G wcm when he hits 1. He stopped drinking my pumped bm from a bottle a long time ago. So I know its going to be a challenge to see if he likes it. He loves water so he drinks that during the day while I am at work.
    On Tuesday I developed mastitis. It was the most horrific feeling. brought me back to when I was in labor. Crying at night from the intense pain. Its better but omg still painful and I have to nurse through it for it to get better. Honestly just sucky feeling.
    But also on Tuesday G decided he wanted to start walking! I can't believe it. he is so funny with his little penguin walk around the house. I am excited for this next phase but s a d because he isnt a little baby anymore
    We are doing very low key 1st birthday. Dinner at a Japanese restaurant with immediate family and a few friends. The we are taking him to the Disney hotel for the weekend just me and hubs. I think that is it for the update on me and G.

36. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

@.twist.: zomg! I cannot believe he's 1! Congrats on surviving the first year! Have an extra piece of cake for all your amazing work!

37. StbHisMrs

pomegranate / 3329 posts

@.twist.: I totally understand that, I was one and done for nine years

and....

Happy Happy Happy First Birthday Lukas!!!

38. GrapeCrush

grapefruit / 4823 posts

@.twist.: happy birthday L!! I still can't believe we were due date twins and A still has 3 weeks to go to get to one

39. skipper2010

kiwi / 597 posts

@.twist.: I seriously can't believe it! Feels like just yesterday our first August momma was in labor. Hope that cutie has an amazing 1st Birthday!

40. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@.twist.: wow our first baby turns one! Congrats mama, you made it through a year! L is adorable, what a big boy!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee