Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2015 Moms!

1. LauraBear

cherry / 215 posts

@getjazzy: @torchwood: please share the good freezer meals you plan to make! I really want to do this but want to make sure to plan some good ones.

2. cat620

pear / 1809 posts

@Mrs.Scientist: I'm getting newborn photos! I think capturing the first week or two of life is priceless. I like that shirt you linked to, but I'm not sure about white. It could work, but I heard that white doesn't always photograph well, plus it can wash you out depending on your coloring. Maybe grey or an ivory top?

3. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@Mrs.Scientist: I've recently gotten into photography, so I'm actually going to do them myself! I'll probably pull out the tripod or have my sister come help with a few family shots, too.

4. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@mrs.scientist: one of my bf's is a photographer and I'm sure she will insist on taking a few pics of the baby.

I think I've finally felt baby hiccups! 3 times today. Always in the same place by my left hip. I think I've felt them before but they are so fast that they didn't seem like they could be hiccups, but I'm not sure what else they could be and dr. Google says they can def be pretty fast. Does that mean baby is head down? I hope so.

Also my allergies are OUTRAGEOUS today and I just realized I developed an eye sty! I've never had one before so I hope this doesn't suck ass too much!

5. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@lilteacherbee: Oooh that's fun! I bet they'll come out great

@torchwood: I'll probably wait til July to start making freezer meals, but keep giving us recipe ideas!

6. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@buttermilk: I feel hiccups by my right hipbone, and she's head down, so I bet yours is too! Hiccups are so cute.

7. kitty

apricot / 315 posts

@Mrs.Scientist: I have booked a package that includes a maternity photo session and then a newborn session just after the birth. The photographer did the same package for a friend recently and it was just so lovely. It's also giving me something nice to look forward to at the beginning of my maternity leave in 5 weeks. I think I'm going with dark blue for me and a dark blue/striped shirt for my husband.

8. getjazzy

persimmon / 1179 posts

@LauraBear: My favorite out of what I made last time- and I will make a few pans of it again this time was this:

http://www.gonnawantseconds.com/2013/01/rachael-rays-southwestern-chili-con-queso-pasta-baked/

I also made these burritos for quick lunches that I could pop in the microwave, they turned out super good too and DH often took them to work with him too.

http://moneysavingmom.com/2012/05/4-weeks-to-fill-your-freezer-brown-bag-burritos-day-7.html

9. krispi

clementine / 911 posts

@aprild: Ha! The wedding on Sunday was outside. Right as the bridal party started to walk down the aisle, it started raining. By the time they got to the vows, it was pouring. We got soaked!! Pregnancy-wise, it was ok. At the reception, they had metal folding chairs that were pretty tough on my back. I was done and ready to go about the same time the bride and groom left, so it worked out.

@Mrs.Scientist: I want to get newborn photos, but I still need to contact my photographer! I'm planning to use the same person who did our wedding. She does mostly kids these days, and she's really good. She's shot a lot of the kids in my family - which is how we found her in the first place.

10. cat620

pear / 1809 posts

@krispi: Oh no! That's always my concern with outdoor weddings - the rain! Usually people have a backup plan, but it doesn't sound like they did. I'm going to an outdoor wedding on the 13th, so hopefully it's nice weather that day.

11. cat620

pear / 1809 posts

For those of you who had maternity photos taken, did you ask for specific shots or did you let the photographer do all the directing? Since my photographer has done lots of maternity photos, I figured she would know how to pose me in the most flattering ways, but I have a double chin in every picture! These are seriously the most unflattering pictures I've seen of myself. Also, unless you have skinny arms, avoid cap sleeves. I don't know what I was thinking, but my shirt made my upper arms look huge! Ugh, I am so disappointed with my maternity pics.

12. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@aprild: I already posted on your other thread, but I wanted add a thing about arms! I actually avoided all fat arm in my photos by not resting my arms against my body. I tried to put some tension in them and keep my elbows out, if that makes sense. I played with this in a mirror a few days before my shoot, and it was worth it!

13. cat620

pear / 1809 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: That's a great tip! That's something I would have liked for the photographer to tell me. There really was no prep or direction during the shoot other than "stand over there and look this way" or "cradle your stomach and look down."

14. FliegepilzHut

pomegranate / 3533 posts

@Mrs.Scientist: I just pre-booked a newborn session! Feeling nervous because I don't have a clue what I'll wear, though...

15. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

I didn't do maternity or newborn photos with my first. We were living in a small town in Wyoming and none of the photogs were very good. I live in a military town now and for whatever reason there are an abundance of photographers, but again, lots of them aren't very good, and I think their presence drives up the cost of the decent photogs. With baby coming in August, I don't really want to spend the money on newborn pics and our usual family pictures in the fall. So I'm trying to decide when to combine the shoots. We always use a family pic on our Christmas cards, and honestly I'm not sure im going to feel "photo ready" in August and sort of want to wait a few months. But...then I (again) miss those cute squish pictures.
    TL:DR- I don't know what we are doing .
    Oh! I've also found that when I expect a photographer to get my best angles they never do! I don't know if that means I'm chunkier thank I think, or I'm just more critical of myself:

16. cat620

pear / 1809 posts

@OhCaptain: I think you should do the newborn photos! August is pretty close to Christmas, and everyone would probably really enjoy seeing a picture of your little one as a newborn on the Christmas card. I didn't do newborn photos with my first, and I really wish I did. I look at other people's newborn photos, and it's such a special time that goes way too quickly.

And about not looking photo ready, I think a good photographer will take photos from a flattering angle. Or suggest what you should wear to minimize any extra weight you still have. I've seen some of my friends look amazing in their photos even right after giving birth!

17. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

BREAST PUMP ALERT!!!! This is just too good not to share with you ladies!

I have been reading tons of threads about which breast pump to get, etc. as its time to start thinking about it (70days out). My insurance's website was HORRIBLE and kept telling me I had to buy one through a durable medical supply company, but there are none in Colorado that sell breast pumps. I had read horror stories about not getting pumps on time, not getting reimbursed when buying at BRU/Target/BBB etc. BUT, on the Medela website I found Aeroflow, who claimed to take care of EVERYTHING from contacting the insurance and your doctor, and handling all paperwork. So I filled out their online request form (my name, address, insurance info, and doctor name and number) and I got an email and phone call 2 business days later! They had the comprehensive list of all the pumps I qualified for (ALL BRANDS, not just Medela) as well as extra pump stuff like more bottles and tubing that would be free to me, and prices for any pump upgrades I would want, all tailored to my insurance. I chose my pump and she confirmed my address and it ships in 2 days, FedEx! SO EASY!!!!! No credit card needed, NO COST TO ME.

If you need a breast pump, check out Aeroflow. LIFE SAVER!

18. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: thanks for the info! I called my insurance last week and they gave me a company to contact. They seemed helpful enough, but maybe I'll check out Aeroflow first and see if I can even get some extra deal? The first place said a Freestyle upgrade would by $215 but I keep wondering if it's possible cheaper through another company.

19. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@buttermilk: I just got the Medela PISA. The Freestyle would have been a $175 upgrade, but thats my insurance's cost. Yours could be different! Worth checking though, as its quite a bit of money!

20. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: I'll probably just end up going with the free PISA too

21. raspberries

pear / 1955 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: Ahhh, that's super helpful! Thanks for the info!

22. LauraBear

cherry / 215 posts

@getjazzy: yum!!! thanks

23. LauraBear

cherry / 215 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: this is awesome! My insurance told me that I'd have to wait to request the pump until after I've given birth... anyone else get told this?

I'd really love to not have to deal with ordering one after the baby comes as I may have to use it right away depending on how late he arrives. School starts back up September 14th...

24. Mrs.Scientist

cherry / 211 posts

@LauraBear: My insurance allows me to order it within the window of 30 days before my due date - 30 days after the baby is born. Perhaps see if you can negotiate that with them?

25. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@LauraBear: frustrating! mine said I could order it whenever, but they won't ship it until 2 weeks before my due date.

26. MissLace

apricot / 311 posts

update on the Dr Appt front, i just found out i passed my glucose test by 4 points! My appt was at 8:30am on monday and even though my dr said i could eat breakfast, i skipped it and just had the orange drink. It really does taste like orange soda. You'd think it tasted like nail polish remover the way some people talk about it : )

27. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@MissLace: Glad you passed! And I agree. It's not tasty by any means, but far from as gross as I was led to expect. Maybe you have to like orange soda?

28. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@LauraBear: my pump shipped today! Try aeroflow... They might be able to pull some strings or something. At least they will find.out all the options with your insurance! Good luck!

29. kitty

apricot / 315 posts

@MissLace: good to hear your passed! I just drank mine right then and I agree, it was pretty much like orange soda. The most unpleasant thing for me was that I can never drink fast and the cold was giving me a bit of brain freeze! Fingers crossed.

It seems like everyone is getting pumps ahead of time - is it because you need to pump to go back to work or is it more of a just in case thing? I was considering going without at first or maybe borrowing from the hospital but now I'm thinking there's something I missed and I should get one before baby arrives?

30. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@MissLace: woo! I agree, it wasn't as bad as I'd been led to believe. And I'm not a sugar person !

31. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@MissLace: Yay for passing!!!

Crazy that we're already ordering pumps! Y'all are lucky. My insurance was grandfathered in and doesn't have to provide breast pumps Made me super mad because it's the state teacher insurance plan and obviously, a lot of women of child-bearing age don't have to be provided pumps according to them. I ended up buying a PISA myself out of pocket and I loved it!

32. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

Also, work gave us a shower today (DH and I teach at the same school)! I totally didn't expect it since it's our second boy in less than two years, but it was very nice!

One more week of school with the kids and another week without them and I'm out for the summer!

33. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@kitty: I bought mine a few days after my first LO was born because they had me pumping in the hospital. He had a hard time latching, so I'd pump and feed with a syringe in the very early days as well as nursing with a shield.

34. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@kitty: I definitely don't think a pump before baby arrives is necessary. I did have mine before hand with my first, but that was because I was planning on leaving my job before the baby arrived and I wanted to pay with my medical flex spending. I didn't use it right away other than to see how it worked. I actually hated that pump (the medela swing) and have already purchased a used medela freestyle, but only because the price was right. Because it was used it didn't come anything but the pump, and I don't plan on buying any of the accessories until baby comes. I'm also a stay at home mom, fwiw.

35. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

My sister has given birth twice in the same hospital that I will and has the same insurance company as me... apparently the hospital has pumps and gives one to you when you discharge. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that!

36. krispi

clementine / 911 posts

I ordered my pump this week, and it's supposed to arrive today. I went through a company called McKesson because they were listed on my insurance web site. They verified my insurance and let me know which pumps qualify, but they did require a prescription from my doctor, which was easy to get at my last appointment. I chose the free Medela Pump In Style starter kit. I figured I can find my own bag cheaper than I could pay for the upgrade. I probably won't use it right away, but that's one less thing for me to worry about, and I'll have it on hand should we have any issues and need to pump.

37. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

Ladies!!! How many days are left until your due date? I've got 68!

38. FliegepilzHut

pomegranate / 3533 posts

@buttermilk: 70 days! Eeek!!!

39. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

82 days to go! Although I will be shocked if he does not come early. (Of course, by saying that I have probably cursed myself to go overdue )

40. raspberries

pear / 1955 posts

66 days to go! (Which means 6 more days til my Amazon registry discount kicks in - I'm anxiously awaiting it!)

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee