Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2015 Moms!

1. cat620

pear / 1809 posts

Has anyone discussed with their doctor/midwife pain management options at the hospital? I know everyone seems to automatically get an epidural, but I was wondering if other practices have other options to choose from.

2. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

@aprild: I'm planning on a natural birth again. Do you mean medication or techniques to get through?

3. cat620

pear / 1809 posts

@Mrs. J: I mean specifically medications. I've heard of some people who were given narcotics or nitrous oxide during labor instead of an epidural. I'm not sure that I would want either of those, but I like the idea of having options. I tried to go naturally last time, and I lasted 28 hours, but my labor was 40 hours long! When I told them I needed something to help me with the pain, the only thing I was offered was an epidural. It seems like there should be something a little less extreme offered first.

4. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

@aprild: true–- lesser option would be nice. I feel you on the long labor; DS was born on day 3 of labor!

5. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@aprild: I know there's a shot I could chose to get instead of the epidural but I can't remember the name of it. It's a temporary pain relief and last a couple of hours. My hospital just got approved for gas and air but it won't be available until after I go into labor unfortunately. I'm hoping to go natural but since gas and air is SO temporary Id be willing to try it!

6. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@aprild: I think with my first I was offered morphine or an epidural. They really present the epidural as the best option. So, when I felt I couldn't take it any longer that's what I asked for.
    This time, since I'm planning on a VBAC at a birth center, my options are more limited. We actually haven't talked about them yet, but an epidural isn't an option.

7. Mrs.Scientist

cherry / 211 posts

@aprild: With DS I was offered something intravenously before an epidural. I'm not sure if it was morphine or what and I honestly don't remember if I took it or not!

8. Mrs.Scientist

cherry / 211 posts

I was all set on trying for a VBAC if I go into labor by myself prior to my due date and RCS date of 8/4 but as that date approaches I am starting to second guess myself. My OB really doesn't think I'm a great candidate for a VBAC, although she will support me if that's what I want to try, and I've been soooo exhausted lately. I'm wondering if I'd be better off with the RCS instead of going through what could possibly be a long and tiring labor that has a good probability of ending in a RCS anyway. With DS I was so sleep deprived by the time we left the hospital it was such a difficult recovery. If I just do a RCS and skip the VBAC attempt I could potentially go in a lot more well rested. Gah, I don't know what to do anymore but I supposed I need to make a decision very soon!

9. cat620

pear / 1809 posts

@Mrs.Scientist: Did your OB say why you aren't a good candidate for a VBAC? Labor is so unpredictable, so you never know what could happen with your second pregnancy. I had an unplanned c-section with my first, but I'm trying for a VBAC. For me, if I can have a successful VBAC, that would be the best option by far! I want to be able to move around easily and play with my toddler while caring for my newborn as soon as possible. With a c-section I would be much more limited as to what I could do. The recovery is so much harder! However, I agree that the recovery would be a little easier if it were planned vs. unplanned.

10. Mrs.Scientist

cherry / 211 posts

@aprild: She thinks my anatomy is likely such that I cannot pass a baby through my pelvic bone. With DS my body did exactly everything it was supposed to do--I dilated fully pretty rapidly--but then when it came time to push he would not get past my pelvic bone. They tried to readjust his position in case he was just coming down at a funny angle that made it hard from him to pass through but didn't have any luck. In the end they couldn't determine if it was my anatomy or his position, but the general consensus is that it's likely my anatomy. It would just suck to go through a 30+ hour labor with this delivery only to push for several more hours and have baby girl unable to pass through. For the most part I've heard really positive things about RCS recoveries so I'm just starting to second guess whether that might be the safer route to go.

11. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@Mrs.Scientist: hmm that's a tough decision for sure. Can I ask why your Dr doesn't think you are a good candidate?

NM...just saw your post...hmmmm....

12. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@Mrs.Scientist: I had a planned c-section with my first and the recovery was super easy (for major surgery). My LO was measuring really big, I'm tiny, and I had GD (they wanted to induce at 39 weeks and I really didn't want a failed induction and go through labor just to have a c-section anyway). He had to be vacuumed out during the c-section because of his position and being so tightly wedged in there.

Obviously, recovery will probably be a little harder with a toddler, but I'm lucky that my DH will be home for 2 weeks and I have lots of family around to help. That definitely makes a difference. I just don't feel a huge desire to try for a VBAC after a pretty smooth c-section the first time.

But that's just my experience! I know plenty of ladies who are so glad they did the VBAC. It's a hard decision!!

13. cat620

pear / 1809 posts

@Mrs.Scientist: I had a similar experience. I was in labor 40 hours with my first, and he wasn't coming out even though I was fully dilated. They said the main problem was that he was posterior and a large baby (8 pounds 15 ounces), so both of those made it hard for me to push him out. They tried turning him around (the doctor literally put his hand up there and tried to turn his head), but we had no luck. I'm worried about going through that again, but it's impossible to predict what will happen the second time around. I totally understand if you want to go the RCS route. You need to do what's best for you.

14. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

My hospital gave me a folder full of information at my preregistration appointment, including all the medication they use on the labor and delivery ward! (The epidural was its own sheet, so it isn't on here, but they have it, of course!) Looks like several non-epidural pain options. They explained in person that they usually can't be given right before pushing, as they can affect the baby, but during early labor they can help, and the half lives are short so baby will "sober up" before actual delivery. They give the information so you can do all your own research BEFORE you go into labor, which is nice.

15. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@Mrs.Scientist: these ladies have given great advice! I don't have experience so I can't really say but I don't think Id want to go through an attempted VBAC if I knew the first labor was +40hrs and resulted in a csection. I'm ALL for natural birth and as little of interventions as possible (Ill be trying for a natural water birth with a doula!) but 40 hours of labor only to result in a csection....Id probably chose the csection. BUT...since your body has been through labor before, it may be a smoother vaginal birth the 2nd time. There are so many variables! What a tough decision. (but amazing that you have the power to make this decision!!! many women have dr's who do not do vbacs at all!)

16. Mrs.Scientist

cherry / 211 posts

@lilteacherbee: See, hearing about experiences like yours makes me feel optimistic that my second CS and recovery could be a more positive experience than the first since I would be mentally prepared for it and know what to expect. My first CS was totally traumatizing since I wasn't expecting it.

@aprild: It sounds like we did have a very similar experience! My doctor also had her arm way up inside me trying to turn my son's head. There was a mirror above the bed I was on so I could see what she was doing. It looked like she was literally like elbow deep inside me. I finally had to be like, "uhh, is there something you can do so that I don't have to see that in the mirror up there??" I did not want to have to see that, lol.

I still don't know what I should do but I guess I can always make my decision on the spot if I do happen to go into labor before my RCS date. I'm such a planner though so it's bothering me that I'm being so indecisive.

17. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: fentanyl! that's the other option I have as well.

18. Mrs.Scientist

cherry / 211 posts

@Portboston: I do feel very fortunate that my OB is supportive of whatever option I choose. I've been having a lot more BHs this pregnancy (and painful ones, too) than I did with my first and my OB said that could be a good sign that my body is doing a better job of preparing for labor than last time. Yet another variable to consider!

19. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@Mrs.Scientist: it may be time to go consult a psychic!

20. Mrs.Scientist

cherry / 211 posts

@Portboston: haha, excellent idea!

21. getjazzy

persimmon / 1179 posts

Ugh! Typed a huge response and it got deleted. Here we go again..

@Mrs.Scientist: @aprild: Same experience here! 53 hours of labour, I did eventually dilate fully and push for an hour but baby was posterior and had his head tilted to the side so he got stuck. Ended in a csection which I actually had a really good recovery from. I've opted to go for a vbac this time and my OB thinks I'm a good candidate. She did make me decide one way or another early on though. I have a RCS date of Aug 12 (9 days late) since she won't induce a vbac. I too worry about having the same outcome this time. I asked her what happens if I'm in labour for several hours and not progressing? Am I able to at that time, say that I can't keep trying and just change to a c-section and she said of course. The OB on call (if not her) would likely agree with me given my history and we could pull the plug if it wasn't working. Soooooo, I'm nervously going to attempt. I have a toddler at home and want to try and avoid the abdominal surgery if I can. I'm doing more this time to at least try and prevent baby from being posterior. With my son, he got stuck in a posterior position at 30 weeks and never moved. He was 22" long and I'm tiny, petite with a short torso so I think he fully got wedged in early on (hubs is 6'4 and I'm 5'3 so we are not the most ideal pairing). This time though, baby girl is still flipping around freely and I'm 36.5 weeks so I'm hoping that is a good sign!! I'm taking RRL tea too, hoping to strengthen my uterus. Just really hoping to help this along. We'll see what happens in the end!

Basically, I totally sympathize with the nervousness related to the "what if it all happens again". The unknown is so unnerving!

22. cat620

pear / 1809 posts

@getjazzy: I'm right there with you! I also think it would be easier to not have to go through a major abdominal surgery with a toddler at home. He depends so much on me and loves to sit on my lap and play together. It would break my heart if he felt like I was neglecting him and just sitting in bed all day. My OB said the same thing to me too about not having to go through 40 hours of labor again. She said I could cap it at whatever I was comfortable with, for example 12 hours, and then request a c-section after that. I think part of what made recovery so hard for me last time was that I was physically exhausted from such a long labor. I never had time to rest, and then bam! I had a baby to take care of. I don't have a ton of support at home as far as family helping, so I need to be able to do as much as possible myself. Hopefully, we'll both get our VBACs!

23. cat620

pear / 1809 posts

This heartburn is out of control! It's getting worse and makes it so hard for me to sleep at night. Even at 1 or 2am, I can still feel the uncomfortable burning and the reflux in my throat. I have to sleep at an incline most nights, but stacking 3 pillows isn't the most comfortable thing for my neck. I was browsing online for heartburn remedies, and I stumbled across this: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/bed-wedge-pillow-and-pillowcase/101538?Keyword=InteVision+Foam+Wedge+Bed+Pillow.

Has anyone used a wedge pillow to help with their heartburn? It seems like the gradual incline would be way more comfortable than my 3 pillow method.

24. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

I'm at MFM and just found out my cervix is down to 8mm I think that's like 80-90 percent effaced?! Still waiting to see the dr so we'll see what he says.

25. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@MrsADS: !!!

26. kjpugs

grapefruit / 4862 posts

Man, I had a horrible recovery and I had a vaginal birth! I did push for nearly 5 hours though. I could barely walk for a while. I am hoping recovery goes better this time (and well, LABOR goes better!) so I can feel a little more mobile and less in pain post birth.

My SIL just had a RCS and said it was a lot better than her emergency CS! Her birth experience with LO1 was worse than anything I've ever heard So I was glad to hear her RCS went awesome. Hope that helps some of you if you guys choose to go that route!

Anyone else feeling short of breath? I'm going to ask my OB about it today but it really bugs me. Even just sitting down on the couch I feel short of breath! Not sure I remember this with LO1!

27. kjpugs

grapefruit / 4862 posts

@MrsADS: AHHH omg! Keep us updated!

28. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@kjpugs: wow 5 hours! I hope your next ones goes quicker! I am also feeling like its harder to breath sometimes when I lay down. Usually gets better after a few minutes but it's such a weird feeling, like I can't breathe deeply.

29. raspberries

pear / 1955 posts

@aprild: I haven't used a wedge pillow, but I've had really bad heartburn ever since I hit the second trimester. Tums weren't cutting it overnight for me (I'd wake up at about 2 or 3AM with acid reflux every. single. time) so I take Zantac about an hour before bed every night, and I've been sleeping SO much better. Might be worth it to try a little bit of a stronger medicine?

@MrsADS: Oh wow - fingers crossed for you!

@kjpugs: I have random shortness of breath too - I asked my OB and she said it's likely because my uterus is pushing on my diaphragm, so my lungs don't have as much space to expand. She said to make sure I sit up straight or stretch back a little bit while taking deeper breaths and the feeling should go away.

30. kjpugs

grapefruit / 4862 posts

@buttermilk: my labor was brutal. My OB had noticed during a check that my pelvic opening was more oblong than it should be (I swear she held her hands and it looked like the shape of a mail slot, haha) and so I knew it might be more difficult. I'm hoping E paved the way, so to speak, haha. I just keep telling myself "it will be like a slip and slide, she will walk right out!" I'm hoping they don't estimate her to be bigger than E! E was 7 lbs 12 oz.

31. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@MrsADS: Exciting!!!
    @kjpugs: 5 hours!? holy crap!! hopefully this one goes much smoother!

32. kjpugs

grapefruit / 4862 posts

@Portboston: YES! It was INSANE! Funny thing is, me and DH were both born on our due date, and if we hadn't had those pushing issues LO would have been too, haha! Man, I had no energy. It was hellish! I think just all the trauma from that pushing was the bad recovery, so as long as it's not as awful this time I *HOPE* recovery should be better.

33. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

Well, I'm home now. They did not check dilation so I don't know if I'm dilated or not. I'm 33w3d so this is still too early to go into labor. The doctor basically said, you could go into labor today, or it could be a couple of weeks - no way to tell. They want me to continue to try to take it easy/stay off my feet to see if I can buy a little more time. But the doctor said if I go into labor now, they aren't going to try to stop it.

They also measured baby's growth and estimated that he is 5 lbs!!

34. getjazzy

persimmon / 1179 posts

@MrsADS: Oh man!! Silly cervix, hang on to that baby! Get really acquainted with Netflix and hang in there a little longer. 5lbs is an awesome size and babe will start packing on the lbs as each day passes now. Hope things stay quiet for you!

@kjpugs: So insanely short of breath!! I was coming to post about it actually. I went for a prenatal massage this morning and I was thinking "ahhh this will be so relaxing" but it wasn't!! They had a special pillow with a cut out for my belly but about 15 mins in, I had to request to lay on my side because I couldn't breathe. Then she later had me on my back on his huge comfy wedge pillow, and again after about 15 mins I couldn't breathe again and had to ask to turn back to my side. It was an awful, panic type feeling too. Like borderline I might pass out soon if I don't fix this. It was an hour long total but I think I will do 30 mins max, and on my side only from now until I deliver.

35. kjpugs

grapefruit / 4862 posts

@getjazzy: YES, it is so incredibly panic-causing! Glad you spoke up!

36. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@getjazzy: I know that feeling....I had it during my maternity photos! I Was laying on a log on my back to get that profile picture and felt like I was going to pass out! Not a good feeling. Good for you for speaking up!

37. Mrs.Scientist

cherry / 211 posts

@getjazzy: I had that same feeling towards the end of the prenatal massage I got last night. She put me on my back with a pillow under my legs and the table elevated a bit so I wasn't laying completely flat. I started coughing and feeling like I couldn't breath well. I told her I was sorry but I needed to sit-up. That's when she ended the session, which I believe was cut a little short.

38. getjazzy

persimmon / 1179 posts

@Mrs.Scientist: That sucks that she ended the session. My girl was super accommodating to me and helped me get comfortable every time I needed to shift around thankfully. I would recommend side lying. I thought it would make for a bad massage but it actually wasn't much different than being laying on my stomach in terms of the quality of the back massage. Such an awful feeling though!

39. getjazzy

persimmon / 1179 posts

@Portboston: So bad that we literally can't lay back even for a few minutes! Makes me wonder why the popular position for delivering a baby is on your back lol.

40. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@getjazzy: so silly!!! My hypnobirthing teacher (who is also an L&D nurse) said whatever I do during labor, stay off my back! That It's the worst possible position to give birth in!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee