Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

We are going to use condoms. We want to ttc for number 2 next fall!

2. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@MrsADS: I agree about keeping track with an app. I would be lost without mine!

3. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

Do you guys think baby spitting up more can be a sign that she is getting more milk from me? This wen she has been doing it a lot more frequently right after feeding. Used to be only burps! I feel like I notice her swallowing & gulping at the breast much more than usual too. Praying!!!

4. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@buttermilk I think that sounds like a GREAT sign!! Since my little guy is the spit up king (LOL) I consider myself something of an expert, and his spit up is DEFINITELY worse if he does a lot of nursing and gets a lot of milk. Also the swallowing/gulping sounds are a great sign, for sure!

5. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

Had my 6 week pp visit today. All is well and I'm nicely healed. She said I should be fine with another pregnancy/c-section, so that's good. I'm 7 lbs above pre-pregnancy weight, which is fine with me because I've lost it much faster this time than with LO1.

Can't believe he is 6 weeks old already!!

6. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@buttermilk: Yes, definitely! C is a major spitter and I was worried about it for awhile, but he's gained a lot of weight, so the ped isn't concerned. He said it just means his belly is getting full. Fingers crossed for you!!

7. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

you guys it's a miracle. I feel like I've been stranded on my bed for the past week doing nothing but nursing, pumping, washing bottles & being spoon fed by DH bc I have no hands. And while all of that is still true, I actually managed to leave the house for an hour with baby all by myself! we walked to get ice coffee and then to whole foods for a couple things. I can't wait til this is more regular! And I even managed to figure out the ring sling! I thought they were supposed to be user friendly, but I totally suck at them.

8. abmamma

kiwi / 641 posts

@buttermilk: nice! I haven't quite yet mastered my ring sling either. I agree, I thought it was supposed to be easy but apparently I need something totally idiot-proof. Glad you were able to get out of the house-- it does wonders for your wellbeing

9. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@buttermilk: so cute! Glad you got out!

@lilteacherbee: so happy for a good visit! I also had mine, and I got the all clear! I'm also 7 lbs up, but happy with it so far. The mspi diet is helping for sure

10. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@MrsADS: @lilteacherbee: yay!! I've noticed her latch is better today too! Bottom lip much more flared than usual. I could never get her to flare a whole lot before, even tho she has had a decent latch. She is starting to look more like those "good swallowers" on all the Breastfeeding videos I've been watching!

@Mrs. Microscope: I go for my PP checkup next week but according to the scale I haven't lost much since the initial loss. I'm afraid to diet and exercise until our BF issues get sorted out. Oh and just the fact that I'm used to biking and working on my feet all day. And now I just lay in bed nursing and eating lactation cookies lol!

11. kitty

apricot / 315 posts

@buttermilk: you look great! I love your sling I've only had one walk outside the house but it was pretty great. We are just coming into spring so I've been waiting on good weather.

I had my visit from the nurse yesterday and it looks like everything is going well, C is up to 9lbs 9oz at 3 weeks and 1 day old!

I also got the info for the new mothers group and registered for that. I'm really looking forward to it because I don't have many friends with babies and I would love to meet some. Are any of you ladies getting involved in mothers groups? Is that a thing where you all live? In Australia it's organised by state government.

12. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

We have no birth control plans for now...probably NFP. I didn't get a period until 9months last time, so I am hoping BF will do that again.

Had my 6 week appointment today, and it looks like I have a little uterine/cervical prolapse, so she's recommending pelvic floor physical therapy.

13. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@buttermilk: @portboston: It's more like I'm supplementing formula than vice versa. C gets 8-10 oz EBM every day and the rest formula. She only takes an ounce from nursing in a half hour and even my non-hospital grade pump is more efficient than that. A big part of the problem is that I don't get let downs for C.. but all I have to do is look at my pump bra and I get one. I've tried oatmeal, fenugreek (12/day), Mother's Milk Tea, eating more, power pumping, and more water. I decided I'll pump at night, in the morning before work, and once at work as a guaranteed break, even if I only get out half an ounce.

@abmamma: I get sick of the breast is best, too. Uh.. not always. If I EBFed C would probably be dehydrated and not gaining an ounce. How is that best? Yeesh.

Good news... my therapist thinks that my anxiety disorder is causing depression and that it isn't PPD. I guess I'll get the final verdict at my OB appointment.

14. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@buttermilk: I'll never forget the first time I wore my son and had two hands to do things!

Also, I just wanted to send encouragement to everyone. You are doing great. I was looking at my son today and I really can't recall any of the struggles I had (and there were plenty) i know it's trite, but it does get easier.

15. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

So I had a fun experience today...normally when M pops off my boob I will drip a bit but today I totally sprayed everywhere! I have had friends tell me it's happened to them but never experienced it myself. FUN STUFF. I felt so bad for M...his dinner sprayed all over his face! Haha 😂

16. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

@Portboston: OMG I spray L at least once a day hahah

17. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

@OhCaptain: yes! My husband was reminding me how feeding J used to reduce me to tears. I don't remember that, but we definitely had tons of issues. It seems light years ago.

18. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

My baby cried for nearly 4 hours straight today. Someone please tell me this gets better. I don't know how I can do this the rest of my mat leave. I am about to lose it.

19. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@MrsADS: Hugs, mama. It totally gets better Soon, he will be a walking, talking toddler and these days will be hard to remember. How's his reflux doing? Any improvement with the new meds?

20. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@portboston we say that M needs a milk poncho because it usually sprays all over his face, in the neck folds, it gets everywhere. That combined with all the spit up, he's generally sticky and smells like old milk all the time.

21. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@MrsADS: I can not fathom what you are going through. I'm having such a tough time with M sleeping only 2 hours at a time at night and barely at all during the day (& if he does it's only in the ergo so no sleep for me!) I couldn't imagine screaming for 4 hours at a time

I went and saw the nurse practitioner who specializes in mental health and she diagnosed me with PPD. Sent in a script for Zoloft but I haven't gone to get it yet. I'm so ready for this to get easier.

22. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@MrsADS: @Portboston: I hope things start looking up for you both. Hugs!

23. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

Just put on baby's first cloth diaper. I'm not even sure if she is big enough for them yet but I guess I'll know soon!! Eeeeeeek! 😬

24. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@buttermilk: lol, you'll know! I just started E in cloth this week. She's almost 12 lbs (maybe she is by now) so she fits in about 1/2 of my stash. Since I'm reusing most of my diapers from my first the elastic has relaxed on some so they still seem pretty big, but she barely fits in the newborn stash I borrowed from a friend.
    Word of advice, you need to change cloth more frequently!

25. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@buttermilk you look so cute! I took M to the doctor by myself on Tuesday (got us both ready and out the door by 10:30) and it felt like a HUGE accomplishment. Today, I just got him back to sleep after 2 hours of crying, he's just in a diaper and REALLY needs a bath and I'm in my underwear and also really need a bath. Haha.

@portboston thinking of you. Yesterday M cried from 11:30-3:45, slept til 5:30, nursed, cried on and off until he went back to sleep about 8. DH thankfully took the first wake up with him, but then he woke up at 3:30 and was up crying until 7am. My mom is coming this weekend to help me just for a few days to give me a mental break. I don't think I have PPD but I truly cannot do this every day, it is breaking me down mentally.

26. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@OhCaptain: first diaper change went well. No leaks!!! Yeah I was gonna ask about how frequently. Basically we have been using pampers with the stripe and so we change her whenever it turns blue which is like 10-11 times per day. I've heard cloth need more frequent changes but how frequent? Like can she have more than one pee in there before you change it?

27. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@MrsADS: thanks!! I feel you lady. Sitting around topless in my underwear 12 hours a day isn't doing much for my self esteem! And poor DH, I'm so tired of having things attached to my boobs...practically any time he comes near me I'm like "STOP touching me please."

28. getjazzy

persimmon / 1179 posts

@buttermilk: Feeling you on the DH gtfo. I fee so bad for him but at the same time, I'm drained damn it. I don't get any time for myself and I'm and introvert. I NEED alone time to feel human.

29. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

Starting to think ditching the pump and trying to nurse every hour for a few days may be mor effective at boosting my supply. I feel like I respond so poorly to the pump. I will pump for 15 minutes and only get half an ounce and then 10 minutes later she wants to nurse again and I start hearing her gulping. She gets the milk out much better than the pump I think.

30. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@buttermilk: I changed my son every two hours in cloth, whereas disposables can
    Hold a lot more. He has never been a super soaker though. I think E pees more. I've had a few leaks with her. Your cloth dipes can probably handle more than one pee, what kind are you using?
    Re: nursing vs pump- I'd nurse. Unless you need to build up your freezer stash for going back to work the baby will usually be better at draining you. Pump output is also not a reliable indicator of supply.

31. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@buttermilk: I agree with @OhCaptain: the baby will be better at boosting your supply for sure (then the pump). You can always rent/borrow a baby scale from the hospital if you really want to see how much she is getting. They're actually pretty cheap to buy as well.

@MrsADS: My mom is offering to come back to help out at the end of the month. Im considering taking her up on it. Lack of sleep is turning me into a crazy person. I feel like I would be much more able to deal with the stress of this baby if I was getting a little more sleep. This sucks.

Theres no way Im having a second baby. I know the likelihood of having another reflux baby is probably low but in the off chance it happened again, I don't think Id get through it very well.

32. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

Im hoping to start cloth diapers next week....our washing machine broke last week & flooded our basement. Although we've got it fixed and Im able to do some light laundry, I don't trust it with diapers. The new one should be here next week!

33. getjazzy

persimmon / 1179 posts

@Portboston: My husband says I must REALLY want a 3rd because even in the midst of our possible reflux battle and STILL waiting for our referral appointment, I've been saying I want another haha. Nothing will make you know more definitively what you want I guess! Hope things get better for your soon, LO seems to be improving little by little. Did you say you were trying probiotics? I notice a difference on days I forget to give it to DD so it must be helping at least a bit?

34. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@OhCaptain: okay so far so good! we are using gDiapers with cloth inserts.

anybody else have an infrequent pooper? R actually hasn't had a poop in 6 days. Doctor told me last time it's normal and I read that as well but I thought it usually only starts decreasing after 6 weeks.

35. abmamma

kiwi / 641 posts

Ugh....DD has a stomach bug. Her babysitter has it too so I know it's a virus and not something she ate. I am so worried about N getting it! I am going to try to keep them separate but dont know how much good that will do given DH and I can't exactly separate ourselves from either child. Any other suggestions for how to handle aside from vast amounts of hand washing and lysoling everything in sight?? I have a bad feeling we are all going to get it...

36. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

Those of you who bottle feed, what do you do if they suddenly want to drink WAY more? Pretty sure she's just half asleep, basically comfort sucking, but with a bottle, of course, she keeps getting the same amount. So I'm afraid she'll just spit up all over the place. Took the bottle away after an extra ounce above her usual, but what if she really is that hungry? She seemed okay with me taking it, but she might not actually be full.

Also, looking to start cloth soon too! We have a few, but they're a bit big. But we're looking at a cloth diaper service, and would do prefolds at first (they have AIO's but there's a wait list), and they have small enough ones. I'm hoping we can start soon!

Also, we ordered a swing that should be here tomorrow. LO doesn't nap well in the carrier when we're home (prefers actual walking, not the erratic movement associated with trying to clean), but she seems like she'd like a swing. Hoping I can have a slightly cleaner house soon.

Lastly, met with an LC today, and it's still looking like nursing will be possible. I was starting to feel like it's hopeless, but she had some success with some things. So it could still happen! I'm feeling optimistic again. Though DH took all the motn wake ups last night, so that could just be because I feel rested for the first time in 3 months. 😄

37. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

Thank GOD. R gained 10 ounces in 9 days! She is in 98th% for height and 10th% for weight so long and lean lol. So happy! I guess the plan is to mostly stay the course for the next week. I'm gonna keep supplementing with 4 oz formula for now while I experiment with pumping less and nursing more. Afraid to drop it all at once bc last time I did that she gained very poorly.

38. abmamma

kiwi / 641 posts

@Torchwood: I struggle with bottle quantities too but usually I only put the amount I think he needs in the bottle and then give extra if he still seems hungry. Otherwise, he will eat whatever amount is in the bottle and then spit up the extra. It's usually pretty clear when he's still hungry but I know all LOs are different. Glad you had a good LC visit!! And awesome you got some sleep 😄

@buttermilk: that's great!! Congrats on a good visit!

39. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@buttermilk: Yay!

40. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@buttermilk: yay! Great gain!

We had a successful outing yesterday! P spent 3 hours in the ktan while I walked around downtown with a friend, and even went out to lunch! She started out awake, then fell asleep and didn't wake until I put her back in her carseat to go home. Yippee! Also, her poop is almost normal again! Color is back to yellow orange, visible blood is gone, but she still has some mucous. For less than 2 weeks on the mspi diet, I'm happy!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee