Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

Yay!!! C is consistently rolling back to tummy. She started last night and kept doing it. The problem is she did it in her sleep three times... she then wakes up and starts screaming. So much for sleeping through the night

2. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@Torchwood: L is totally adorable! And you have time to decide if you want another... No pressure right now! Enjoy L!

3. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: Yes, plenty of time to decide! A cursory search for info on preventing preterm labor in future pregnancies made it clear that it's best to wait at least 18 months, so even once AF comes back we wouldn't be able to do anything right away. (AF may be thinking about returning. Been going longer at night without pumping, and got a nearly positive opk when I took one on a whim a few days ago.) Its just so weird because I was SO sure we wouldn't want another. When I would see bees who were one and done change their minds, I didn't get it. Totally get it now. Rationally all my reasons for wanting just one haven't changed, but emotionally? I want another. Gah.

4. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@Torchwood: we were mostly one and done, like I've said before. But now I'm so so so glad we have two. Even on the days when I think back to how easy one was, hahahaha

5. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

This sucks. Baby is clearly feeling like crap. She's been crying off and on all day, after the worst night of sleep of her life, and just getting worse. Gave her Tylenol. She has a low fever but not enough to worry about. I'm freaking out about tornadoes. There's a huge storm heading right over us, with multiple tornado warnings. I keep thinking if I put her in the wrap and then hold on to her, she's less likely to get sucked out of my arms. DH cleared out the safest closer, which he's never done even in the biggest storms, so I know he's scared too. Having a baby makes everything scarier. And I'm worrying about Christmas for all the people whose houses were destroyed. How do you go about donating toys or something?

6. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@Torchwood: Did you guys stay safe?

7. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@Ms. RV: Sorry, just saw this. Yes, we're fine. There were a couple of deaths down south a ways, but the storms lost some power as they got to us and were just nasty storms, no rotation. I've been too close to too many tornadoes in my life- they scare the crap out of me! (When I was in high school one touched down less than a mile from our house. Tore half of a church away, and there was a preschool in there. Thankfully in the half that survived. But how those parents must have felt...)

8. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

So much MIL drama. She is staying with us over the holidays, but hasn't spoken to me since Christmas, and has barely spoken to DH. She is mad that I asked her to put more water in a pot to blanch some kale. She then told me ebf baby doesn't need me, DD can take a bottle. And that I will kill her by doing blw in a few months. She keeps making comments at meals how she will blend up food for DD because someone has to do it so she won't choke. I'm so pissed

9. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: Whoa! Hugs To say she is overeacting wouls be a huge understatement!! I hope she isn't staying too much longer.

@Torchwood: Glad to hear you're fine! Tornadoes are the scariest weather phenomena in my book.

10. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: ugh. She's mad about more water for kale?
    As for BLW, none of my family understood it when I did it either. My MIL was the first to say "wow, that seems a lot easier than purées!" But my mom had a really hard time wrapping her mind around it. She was never overly rude, just....incredulous. She incredulous about most of my parenting though.

11. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@Ms. RV: I hate them. And in December?! Not cool.

@Mrs. Microscope: That would all piss me off. Sorry you're dealing with it!

Put the wheels in motion to meet with our genetics counselor about my dad's condition and whether I have it, etc. Really, we need to know more and what to watch for in case L has it, all that. If we happen to discuss the risks for future pregnancy, that's just a coincidence. 😉 Right this second I do want another, so we'll see. Slightly tmi (is there such a thing here?) but finally had some good sexy times the other night (yay) and DH didn't do anything to prevent. Next to zero risk, but it's not like him to take any risks unless he's okay with something happening. So I guess he's still open to it to. Guess we'll see!

12. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@Torchwood: no such thing as TMI. Here!

13. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

Need to vent. C got HFM and is super cranky because her mouth hurts. So cranky that daycare commented today on how she actually cried today. I've been running a fever since last night that's making me dizzy. Now OH thinks he is coming down with pinkeye. So basically no one can touch the baby to comfort her

14. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

Does anyone have any input on when to go to the doctor for a cough? LO started coughing last night. Nothing major at all, so I'm not worried, but DH wants to take her. I'm not yet, but not sure when I should, if it gets worse.

@Ms. RV: That sounds rough! Hope you all get to feeling better soon.

15. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@Ms. RV: poor baby!

@Torchwood: P had a cold about 2 weeks ago, and had a bad cough with it. Her voice was horse. But we waited, and she cleared up in about 5 days, no doctor visit needed. I would wait about a week and a half and make sure she isn't getting better before a doctor trip. If she is getting worse, and has a fever, then take her. Hope she feels better soon!

16. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@Torchwood: Is it a chest cough or throat cough? If it is throat I agree with @Mrs. Microscope. If it is a chest cough, I'd go to a doctor right away.

17. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@Ms. RV: Just throat best I can tell. Aside from being overtired because she woke herself up from her last nap too early, she seems fine.

18. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

Officially have an appointment with the genetics counselor! Hopefully she won't basically say I definitely have EDS and shouldn't risk another pregnancy. Though at least then we'd know for sure, instead of wondering if we should risk it. Oh well, hopefully we learn something.

19. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@Torchwood: I'm probably on the far side of the spectrum, but I'd wait...especially if it isn't a chest cough, and there is no fever. We were/have been exceptionally lucky, I've never taken my son to the doc except for wellbaby visits. im definitely on the "wait and see" side of the spectrum.

20. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@Torchwood: how'd it go?!

P is just over 5 months, and hasn't rolled yet. She is super close, but hasn't quite gotten it. I know she has until 6 months before the pediatrician gets worried, and I can't imagine it taking her 4 more weeks, but I'm kinda freaking out!

21. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: L being sick or the appointment? L is all better, so I think we made the right call in waiting. Appointment went well. She's not qualified to officially diagnose anything, but she said I don't fit any of the normal diagnostic criteria for EDS. She basically said if she were us, she would go forward with having another, and just be careful of preterm labor.

Interestingly, she had not heard of a connection between EDS and miscarriages. But she thinks very strongly that her wife has it, and she had 2 chemical pregnancies and a blighted ovum. So she's looking into that! They just gave up and switched, and the counselor is 30 weeks now, but it would be good for them to know.

Also, I swore I wouldn't worry about milestones, but I do. L took what seemed like forever to roll back to front, to the point it was freaking me out. She was just over 5 months when she finally did. She still hasn't rolled front to back or done any significant pushing up. She's 6.5 months. I know the fact that I don't force tummy time will delay her on that, but it still makes me anxious! We also don't prop her upright, so she can't sit up unassisted at all, but she's starting sitting up from a reclined position in our laps so I know she's working on those muscles. I hate overthinking milestones, but I can't stop myself! Also, pretty sure she is focusing more on talking right now. She's a chatterbox, and seems like she adds new sounds every day!

Anyone want to share some cute pictures! The baby fever makes me want to see some more baby smiles!

22. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@Torchwood: so glad for good news on both fronts! And L is adorable as always!

I try not to worry about milestones, and P was ahead in most except this rolling! She is getting good at the tripod sit, and had great head and neck control from birth. She is also working on lots of new sounds. Advanced everywhere but mobility! But I know she will get it soon... Another inch or so and gravity will take over! Ha!

23. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: When C started rolling it just happened. She wasn't getting close or anything then one day she just started. Hopefully that happens for P soon!

@Torchwood: L is such a cutie!! Glad to hear like there doesn't seem to be too, too concern about you guys having a second.

Here is C in her seat. She sits in it every morning while we get ready for work. It is her favorite thing ever and I love that it isn't like a bumbo in that it doesn't force her to a seated position.

24. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@Torchwood: great news for you guys! L is super cute, no wonder you have baby fever 😉 the milestone thing is so weird. M *can* roll both ways but chooses not too. It seems like he starts doing one thing & before he's mastered it, he moves onto the next. He can kinda sit up unassisted but instead of working on that, he's now trying to crawl.
    It's also important to remember the difference between boys & girls. From what I've read, girls work on their fine motor skills first as opposed to boys going for the gross motor skills.

@Ms. RV: those eyes!!! 😍

Here's some recents of M.

25. kitty

apricot / 315 posts

Super cute photos everyone! How are you all going? I imagine everyone is just super busy now the babes are a bit older and we are more adjusted to the new normal.

Had a weight check last week and it looks like C hasn't gained any weight in almost 2 months so it looks like we will be supplementing with formula and I'll be furiously trying to increase my supply. He's gotten longer and his head is bigger so I just don't know how I didn't realise he wasn't getting fatter too

26. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@kitty: How is C's percentile? Did it drop a lot? Is he generally happy or is he cranky? Formula supplementing sucks but since you made it 6 months-ish without it that says a lot!!! Good luck increasing your supply. We started supplementing at 2 weeks, been EFF since 7 weeks when I dried up. It was very hard emotionally at first but dealing with a smily, satiated baby was better than a miserable, hungry one!

27. kitty

apricot / 315 posts

@Ms. RV: It dropped a lot, it was 50 then 75 and now 25. He's just so happy and achieving all the milestones so it's weird. I think he's just not a conplainer but it breaks my heart a little to think that he might have been hungry this whole time and just couldn't communicate it. Like you said I'm pretty happy we at least made it this far exclusively breastfeeding and I know if I can get my supply up I can go back to EBF but I'll take the healthy happy baby over anything!

28. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

We have teeth! Lil's first tooth broke through last week while we were on vacation, and the second did yesterday! She's barely even fussed about it. Kinda wishing it had taken longer though, those things are sharp when she chomps down!

29. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

How's everyone doing?! I know most August mama's are on FB but Im not So update me! What are all the babies up to?!

30. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@Portboston: Just saw this, sorry. I stopped subscribing to the thread because I was comparing milestones too much and stressing myself out. But we're good. LO is chugging right along developmentally, growing like a weed! More and more personality comes out every day; I love it! Hope you're well!

31. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@Portboston: I'm not on FB either! I'm not because my ex-H is a FB stalker and I often thought about creating an alias to keep up with August mommas but that seems like too much work!

C is doing great but having some unexplained circulation issues. Sometimes her fingers will turn purple when she eats and her feet when she sits. Her pediatrician says she can't hear her murmur and isn't super concerned right now especially since she's getting an echo in early April. We just have to keep an eye on it in case it spreads.

@Torchwood: L is so big!!!

@Portboston: How is M?

32. MrsSK

pea / 21 posts

Hi Ladies,

I haven't posted much on this thread - people went to the Facebook group shortly after I joined!

My little guy was born 2 months premature, but we're doing so well except for some sleep issues where out of the blue, my great sleeper started waking up all times of the night for 2-3 hours at a time. It was sooooo frustrating and exhausting. Anyway, last night was our first night sleep training and he was asleep after about about 7 minutes of crying and sttn. It was amazing but we'll see how tonight goes!

In terms of development, he seems to be on track for his adjusted age! We went to Florida in mid-February and he had a pretty big explosion of skills during the week we were away. It was so neat to see!

We're actually pretty lucky in that both NICUs we spent time at when he was born offer development clinics that track preemies up to 3 years of age. It just takes a lot of the guess work out of how he is doing and allows early intervention if they see something going off the rails. Not sure if this is common in other areas but I really appreciate it right now!

33. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@Ms. RV: She is! So hard to believe how tiny she was when she was born, looking at her now! People tend to think she's a little younger than she is, but no one suspects she was a preemie! Even the doctor didn't, when we switched! (She hadn't read that in her file yet.)

@MrsSK: My LO was 7 weeks early. That's really cool that your NICU does so much follow up; ours definitely doesn't.

34. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@Torchwood: oh my goodness she is so cute!!!! Love that face

@Ms. RV: oh no! I hope it's nothing and everything is ok. How scary

M is doing well. Still waking up 2x a night but his naps are getting better & he's going down by himself. We've tried CIO for MOTN and he doesn't stop until he eats so I figure he is really hungry and it's just a matter of time before he stops waking up.
    As far as milestones...he was an early crawler at just over 6 months. Which is cool to see but exhausting!! Haha. He's also just started pulling himself up at 7.5 months. I attribute his hulk like strength to belly sleeping from the get go!
    He has 4 teeth and I think he's working in the next. I'm hoping we get a break before the 12 month molars!

@Torchwood: I know it's hard to see babies developing at different speeds but from this side of things, while its really neat to watch, my baby doesn't feel like such a baby anymore!!! It's a little sad! Also I would like to be able to put him down and not have him move lol

35. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@Portboston: Ha ha, yeah, part of me is glad she's not in a hurry to crawl! She's figured out how to roll all over the place, and that's enough mobility for now, thanks!😄

36. MrsSK

pea / 21 posts

@Torchwood: it is such a great resource. It's also nice because some of the clinics are group based so you get to meet other preemie parents! Based on the pic of your LO I never would have guessed she was 7 weeks early. She's a cutie!

One thing that I feel kind of lost with is solids. We've done oatmeal, sweet potato and squash and then got hit with a stomach bug amd stopped. Now we are slowly reintroducing those foods.

Anyone care to share what they're doing and how quickly you're introducing new food? Or any resources you use?

37. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@MrsSK: Honestly solids are super stressful for me. Feeding a baby is so simple. Breastmilk or formula, there you go. Might not always be easy, but it's not complicated. I'm so overwhelmed by the fact that I'm responsible for feeding this kid and teaching her healthy eating habits! I have a terrible relationship with food, so I'm hoping she winds up more like DH. But it's hard!

We're doing a sort of combination of baby led weaning and purées. Mostly we give her some of what we're eating if we can, and try to give her some purées once a day. Need to be doing it more often, but I'm having trouble finding time! By the time we get up and ready in the morning, and I've pumped and dealt with all that, she's ready for a nap. And if we want to go out at all, we need to do it after that nap, by which time she wants another. Then it's time to make dinner. She has something around then, but there's really not enough time before bed to give her two meals.

She did throw up her yogurt the other day, and I don't know if it was because she was gagging on a chunk of fruit or something else. Tried a non-chunky yogurt today, and she wouldn't eat it, which has never happened. So who knows.

38. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@Torchwood: @MrsSK: we're doing mostly baby led weaning. I try to pick up stuff for the week when I go grocery shopping and then roast it all (if need be) that evening so I can just grab stuff out of the fridge.
    He really likes roasted sweet potato wedges. Raw Cucumbers and zucchini have been a hit. Chicken strips were good, broccoli was ok. We tried roasted apples but they were a little slippery (and I'm not comfortable with his chewing skills for a raw apple yet) bananas are always a good one although you have to be careful with constipation. Any kind of squash roasted, Eggs, oatmeal, toast, pancakes... Pinterest is a GREAT resource for BLW if that's what you're into. But remember, food before one is just for fun!

39. MrsSK

pea / 21 posts

@Torchwood: @Portboston: thanks for the info and ideas! I'm glad I'm not the only one finding this hard. I definitely need to step it up in terms of planning and prepping and I really have no excuses since I'm still off work.

40. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@Torchwood: nice to get an update on L. What a cutie! I agree baby food is fun but really just more work for me haha. We are also doing a puree, BLW combo. So far she loves everything, we feed her around dinner time, but our baby stirrer said we can start sending some food with her in the daytime so I guess we will do that soon. I found this blog that has lots of yummy sounding puree combos. http://www.babyfoode.com

Overall R is doing great. She sits up well, no crawling yet, one tooth, and finally started sleeping better overnight a couple weeks ago. Now she usually wakes up only once to nurse. She is getting super wiggly and wants to grab everything. Lord help us!

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee