Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. MrsStar

nectarine / 2994 posts

@buttermilk: You haven't ruined her sleep! She might just be going through a developmental leap or a growth spurt or something. It seems as soon as you get used to a baby's phase (sleeping, awake time, eating etc) they change it! Sending you sleeping-at-night vibes though!

2. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@buttermilk: I agree with @MrsStar, you haven't ruined it! She won't be waking every hour to nurse when she goes away to college. 😉 It could be entirely unrelated to anything you did. L has days where she sleeps 20-22 out of 24 hours, then the next day she won't nap more than 20 minutes every 3 hours. I do everything exactly the same. And even if it is because of the change, I would think she just needs time to realize that she's back where she likes to be. If she was waking up and finding herself somewhere she didn't want to be, she might just need a little extra reassurance to get her comfort level back.

Speaking of wonky sleep (though in a better way), We were gonna go to baby and me story time at the library, but she fraking slept till 1! 11-5, then 6-8. So I figured it was safe to go one more stretch (they always get shorter as the "night" progresses, never longer) thinking she'd be up around 10-11. Nope! But she woke up so happy that she keeps choking while eating because she stops swallowing to smile and talk. So I suppose I'm not going to complain.

3. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@buttermilk: good luck with the sleep routine! And DH not wanting to be woken up... fuck that! I would be so mad! You are trying to figure out what is going to work, and until then, none of you will sleep better! You got this, don't worry

4. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@buttermilk hope you're having a better night tonight! It's 4am and I'm up with wake up 3.... ugggh. Mama tired.

@mrs. Microscope how did your LO do in the parks at Disney? Did she sleep, was site overstimulated?

Another weird PP symptom. At night my ankles and lower calves get really hot and swollen. Seems like that shouldn't be haopening anymore! I just had to take my socks off because they were too right. Ugh. I guess I should call my OB?

5. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@MrsStar: @Torchwood: @MrsADS: @Mrs. Microscope: thanks y'all! Yesterday was a lot better! Still glad we moved the swing bc now she can nap in the nursery now! I got the same usual 2 hour morning nap from her. Rest of the naps weren't as good but progress! I also made sure to spend a lot of time in the nursery yesterday to get her used to being in there more. So for night, I had the idea to use the bassinet attachment from our stroller. I put it in the same exact spot and height as the rock n play and put a travel pillow in the bottom to mimic her legs being raised lol. And it worked!!! Girl slept 6.5 hours and then 2 hours just like before! So now my baby is sleeping flat and didn't cry from being uncomfortable. She must just not be ready to be in her own room. Oh we also took one short nap there yesterday to familiarize her with it. Here's a pic of the setup!

6. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: I know right?? He apologized and was more helpful last night. He says he has a big story to write and that's why he was being so fussy lol.

Oh also I think the Zantac is finally kicking in! It took a whole week but she barely spit up yesterday and I even increased her supplement a bit. And I think she is starting to fill out more!

@Torchwood: I can't believe she slept too 1 that's crazy! And so funny about the smiling lol.

7. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@MrsADS: P did great at the parks! She nursed on several rides, like the people mover, slept in the K'tan on pirates, and really only freaked out on buzz Lightyear from overstimulation. She mostly napped in the stroller, with all the shades up. She also really liked the parade and fireworks!

8. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

@buttermilk: Yay for good sleep and less spitting! Just an FYI, the Zantac won't change how much she's spitting...it just relieves the pain of the reflux. Only her digestive system getting more mature will stop the spitting!

9. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

OMG y'all. I've had it with the run around work is giving me about finding a suitable place to pump. I currently pump in a storage closet inside of our resource center, so there are students right outside the door, and sometimes there are parents. The kids and some adults have discussed/joked about pumping, etc. The closet is a mess and a microwave takes up the table. In short, it sucks. We brought it up with our faculty advisory board, but admin has no other solution for me yet. Counselors are allowed to pump in their offices, but faculty are not allowed to pump in their rooms. I'm just so irritated! All I want is a clean, quiet place to pump, away from my students.

10. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@buttermilk: Good idea on the travel pillow! L loves having her legs elevated when she sleeps.

@Mrs. J: I hope you work it out! Pumping is obnoxious enough without having all that to deal with.

11. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

You guys, I put L in a 6-9 month sleeper, and it fit! It's too big around, but the length is right. It better just be one that runs small; she can't be that big! I only put it on her on a whim because it was handy (my mom just got it for her) and her 3mo stuff is getting really short. I didn't think it would fit!

12. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@Mrs. J: Ughhh. What's their reasoning behind not letting you pump in your classroom? I mean, obviously the students won't be in there, so what's the problem? The school I was at when I had N was less than accommodating in most aspects, but at least they handled pumping relatively sensibly.

13. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

Those of you who don't have an older kid, what are your plans for Halloween? We went to a party last weekend (not sure why she had it he week before?), but we weren't planning on doing anything the actual day of. DH has a lot going on with work anyway. My mom literally took off work to be sure to "be there for her first Halloween" and was HORRIFIED that we weren't planning on bringing her up to her house and to other family member's houses. ??? Is that a thing? I'm not taking my 4mo trick or treating, no one in our family likes Halloween (I was barely allowed to celebrate it growing up super religious), so why would I expect to make a big deal of it?

14. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@Torchwood: I have an almost 2 year old, but we aren't doing anything. Well, we are, just not Halloween-related. My parents wanted to take LO1 to the zoo and with my Dad's work schedule, this is the only weekend they can go before it starts to get cold (It'll be a day trip because it's a couple hours away). I figure he's still pretty young to really "get" trick-or-treating (and obviously, the baby too). We went last year when he was 11.5 months old, but it was just walking around our new neighborhood for a bit in his costume and then we were done.

I think the zoo would be a lot more fun at this point (and I'm really excited to see him with all the animals!). Plus, my sister is keeping C for us, so my oldest gets to have a little bit of "only child" time. The only downside is pumping in the car while we're gone

My best friend, on the other hand, has a 5 week old and she's totally dressing her up as a pumpkin and taking her to visit family

15. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@Mrs. J: really?? The excessive spitting up has been the only symptom. Well that and hiccups and coughing every now and then. This is what I told the doc and she said It must be reflux - but R never seems to be in pain from spitting up or from a feeding. After I give her a bottle she cries for about 15 seconds but I think it's just bc she wants to keep sucking. I was thinking either she didn't have reflux or the Zantac wasn't working until Monday when the spitting decreased. Going to the doc for a follow up today so I guess I'll bring this up!

16. abmamma

kiwi / 641 posts

@Torchwood: this is the first year my 3 yr old understands/is excited about Halloween. She picked out her costume (a witch a la Room on the Broom- very cute book) and is excited about trick or treating. Our neighborhood is having a pizza party and costume parade in early afternoon so we will do that before ToT-ing around here. N has a little skeleton sleeper that he will wear to the neighborhood party but he will probably stay home while DH and I alternate with DD. We will send the grandparents pictures of the kids dressed up.

17. abmamma

kiwi / 641 posts

@Mrs. J: that's awful! I can't imagine having to pump in a closet like that. Hopefully they come up with a better solution!

18. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@Torchwood: our city does a "downtown Safe trick or treat" in the afternoon. I took my son when he was 5 months old, but only because we had just moved here and some moms from a moms group invited me to go with them, and as an extrovert I was desperate for friends! If we lived close to family I definitely would have gone "trick or treating" at the grand parents house.
    At 3.5 this is the first year my son is looking forward to Halloween, but I don't think he realizes people go door to door around the neighborhood traditionally. My husbands office always haas families in to trick or treat and they give out so much candy! We are doing that on Friday and I think probably nothing on Saturday. I figure we have lots of years ahead of us, If I can get away with only doing the office, I'm going to!

19. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

@buttermilk: yea it reduces the stomach acid, but it's because their sphincters are immature that they spit.

20. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

@Torchwood: we are dressing them both up to
    Visit my family and take them around the block with my niece. It's supposed to rain though

21. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

Aaaaaggghhhh. E woke up at 5:30, she was grunting and then she made a huge poop. After I changed her, instead of nursing she decided it was time to "chat" for about 10 minutes. And that woke up my son (who was in my bed) and now he's up for the day, and baby is back asleep.
    Bright point? My DH moved to the guestroom when our son joined us, so DS decided he was going upstairs to "have daddy give me something to snack on." Ha. I'm getting back in bed, I can probably sneak in 30 minutes of snooze time before they all troupe downstairs.

22. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@OhCaptain: Did you get your extra bit of sleep? That post made me laugh.

Guess who got really close to rolling back to front today! She got stuck on her arm, as is to be expected, but it was still huge! And she got frustrated because she couldn't roll back, but I just patted her a bit and didn't step in and help, and she figured it out and made it on her back again! Big girl! (Literally- that's the 6-9mo sleeper.) She seemed pleased with herself!

She's also supposed to be going into a wonder week, but has already started doing everything she's supposed to be doing by the end. I'm thinking she's starting the shift more towards her actual, not adjusted, age? If she's supposed to be on track by the end of the first year, presumably she should be gradually making that shift. I hadn't thought about it, but it kinda sucks for being on this board for a while. Once they're older a couple months won't matter, but for the next bit I guess she's going to be moving ahead a little. 😕 Oh well, it'll even out.

23. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

How much tummy time are you guys doing? I am s total tummy time slacker since LO hates it so much. He can do about 4 mins before crying and it always makes hime spit up (he's nor a fan of pressure on the belly!)

Any suggestions to get more tummy time? How do you entertain your LOs to get more tummy time? I feel like he's gonna be delayed on his milestines!

24. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@MrsADS: We try to do tummy time every day, about one hour after her late afternoon feeding. Sometimed she's cool for fifteen minutes sometimes just for two. We put her in front of a mirror or put a toy in front of her. We will also recline and lay her on our chests and that she'll do for ten or so minutes. She isn't completely flat but still works her neck and chest muscles.

A coworker has a 21 week old that is completely unable to do tummy time due to horrible, horrible reflux. He just throws up the second he goes on his tummy. The pediatrician says that he'll eventually catch up and might do milestones closer together.

25. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@MrsADS: We generally follow RIE methods, and one of the big things with that is to never put baby in a position she can't get into on her own. So we don't do tummy time, aside from her sleeping on daddy's chest most evenings (and she's asleep within a minute). She'll be slow to roll belly to back, since she won't have the chance for a while, but her neck and back muscles are noticeably stronger almost daily, and she rolled most of the way back to front and back again yesterday, so I'm just not worried about it.

26. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@MrsADS: I put mine on her belly maybe MAYBE Once a day. Some days i forget. She's a belly sleeper and she spends plenty of time on my chest or over my shoulder so I don't really worry about it. I know it's easy for me to say, but don't stress about milestones as long as your pediatrician isn't.

27. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

I try to put P on her tummy at least 4 times a day. Sometimes she is there for.10 min, sometimes 10 second. She is getting stronger everyday

28. MrsStar

nectarine / 2994 posts

Isla rolled back to belly! Put her down on her back to go grab something, came back and she was on her belly! She's been close to rolling for a few weeks, just sad I missed it!

I hardly ever remember to put her down for tummy time, but she spends plenty of time holding her head up when she's lying on my chest so I'm not worried.

29. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@MrsStar: Go Isla!!

I'm attempting a RnP wean this weekend. I'm letting C fall deep asleep in it, then moving her to the PnP (moved to where her upstairs RnP used to be). I'm hoping she sleeps until her normal wake time in it, but I'm not going to get too overly optimistic.

30. MrsStar

nectarine / 2994 posts

Ok, so now she can roll back to belly AND belly to back! She's been a busy girl today

31. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

So, we had our first public meltdown yesterday! We went to my husbands office for their family trick or treat, I handed her to one of his co-workers while I helped my son adjust his costume. She was fine for two minutes and then just started screaming. No fussing first just 0-60 in one second. I took her back and tried to make my way down stairs to my husbands office. It seemed like we were in slow motion with her screaming and all the people there and people who were trying to see her. Finally I made it to my husbands office, shut the door and nursed her. She calmed down and fell asleep, but the poor thing was so worked up she had snot coming out her nose. I'm assuming it was over-stimulation, total bad mom/mom guilt moment.

32. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@MrsStar: yay that's so exciting, go Isla!!
    I try to out R on her tummy 1-2 times a day but we forget sometimes. She does spend time on my chest but I need to be better. She looves standing on our laps so we do a lot of that.

@Ms. RV: good luck! Let me know how it goes!

@OhCaptain: poor thing! It's so stressful in that moment, you're right about it feeling like slow motion. That happened to me once in old navy with my mom it was horrible. I finally had to walk around the store nursing her.

We had a nice day yesterday. I switched out the stroller seat in my UBV and she likes it SO much better than the bassinet. We had no stroller meltdowns yay! Makes sense. I wouldn't want to by laying flat bouncin around either.

33. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@buttermilk: C fell asleep after her last feeding at 8:45. I let her sleep in the downstairs RnP until 10:00. Then I moved her to the PnP and she woke up two minutes later. I caved and put her in the upstairs RnP at 11:30. She usually has no problem transitioning between RnP's so I don't think it was the transition that woke her. After much protest, she took a half hour nap in the PnP today. I think tonight I'm going to put a heating pad on the PnP and remove it right before I put her down. Maybe the warmth will persuade her to sleep flat. I'm currently trying to get her to nap on the couch next to me and she's not having any of that.

34. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@OhCaptain: Poor LO! It always feels like their is such a small tipping point for overstimulation.

35. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@Ms. RV: we tried a nap in the PnP forth first time today. Fail. P woke.up.and stared at the mobile for awhile, then cried. We calmed her twice, and she was quietly awake for about 10 min each time before crying, but no sleeping happened. We will keep trying!

I am getting the Ferber book this week, to read and see if it will work for us next month... I only really need help with naps, as P is a great night sleeper. We will see if that changes once we switch to the PnP next month. She did great with the crib at the hotel last weekend, so I have hope!

36. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@Ms. RV: bummer! I know a lot of ppl do well with cold turkey stuff but for us it seems very gradual is best. Replacing the RnP with a bassinet in the same exact spot has gone really well for the past few nights now! When we have done the crib, making a snuggle nest with rolled towels under the sheet seems to help but I guess you can't do that with the pnp. Hopefully the heating pad works!

37. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

Lily was fussing and upset and spitting out the binky and the bottle, but she seemed hungry so I decided to try and nurse her (with the SNS) and it worked! She calmed down and ate and then cuddled and went to sleep. Holy crap!

38. abmamma

kiwi / 641 posts

@Ms. RV: we did a gradual transition from RNP to PNP. Both are in our room. We'd put him down in the RNP and after a MOTN feeding, when he was full and sleepy, we'd put him in the PNP. After a month(?) of that, we just started putting him down in the PNP. Now he's doing all sleeping (naps and nighttime) in it. We will try the crib transition next!

@Torchwood: that's so great!

It's 4:15 (5:15 really pre DST) and N is still asleep! I woke up and realize the time so started pumping- I've never gone so long between pumps so a little nervous about clogs but hopefully it won't be too bad. But hoping we are getting closer to STTN!!

39. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@Torchwood: yay!!!!! 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

@abmamma: Whenever R does that my boobs are sooooo hard and full in the morning!

40. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

Well the heating pad worked-- kind of. She slept for three hours in the PnP last night. She's feeling very clingy, though, and has not slept since 2am unless she was in someone's arms. I think she may not like the PnP because she can't see out because she'll sleep flat on her back everywhere else it seems. We really need her to be able to sleep in the PnP because she'll be sleeping there frequently starting in April in our RV plus she'll be sleeping in one as soon as she starts walking or turns 1 at daycare. I'm giving myself plenty of time to transition

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee