Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@Torchwood: Yay!!

@abmamma: Yay for you, too!! Hopefully you won't have any clogs.

2. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

Naps have gone down hill guys! P will only nap in my arms or the carrier. And we are lucky to get 45 min from her! I know you can't nap train until 4 months. I sure hope this is a phase!

3. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: oh no! is that a thing that babies do? wonder week? i hope she finds her way back!

4. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@buttermilk: we are between wonder weeks, at 13.5 weeks now, just turned 3 months on Sunday. Night sleep is still good. But naps are nightmarish. Must be in my arms, while I'm bouncing vigorously on the ball. I only got. 2 swing naps out of her last week. I keep trying to put her down in the swing, the PnP, etc, but she screams! Since she is too young to CIO, I have no choice. I try to transfer once she's out, but she wakes up the second my butt leaves the ball! Can't wait for this to pass!

Anyone else having new sleep issues?

5. abmamma

kiwi / 641 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: that sucks! N has been only doing short, 30 min naps the last few days and doesn't seem to sleep as well in the stroller anymore...yesterday he slept like 10 mins between 2 and 5:30. He was an overtired mess. But he did just start a wonder week so I'm hoping it will pass soon. He's generally been fussier too. Hoping P's nap strike ends quickly!

6. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@abmamma: @Mrs. Microscope: Ugh, sorry for the crappy naps!! C is (knock on wood) a pretty good napper, but his older brother took awful, short naps for a looong time (like 30-45 min for EVERY single nap). But as I type this, he's been sleeping for over 2.5 hours and he'll be 2 next week. There's hope that it won't last forever!

7. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

As for us, things are going pretty well. We have bad reflux days here and there, but the meds seem to really be helping, so that's good. We've kinda got a schedule down when it comes to feeding, which also helps with figuring out naps.

He's 3 months today which is crazy to me!!

8. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@lilteacherbee: what a cutie!

Currently, P is napping in the PnP, still strapped in her carseat... She fell asleep on the way home, and I didn't dare to wake her, so I just plopped the whole thing into the PnP, and turned on the monitor. It's been 15 min so far. Fingers crossed!

Also, I feel like this is a mom fail, but I am desperate. I wouldn't ever do this on purpose, but driving around the neighborhood doesn't appeal to me. So after-drive nap in the PnP it is.

9. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: I totally drive around. Monday both of my kids fell asleep in the car. I got a coffee, and drove around for 30 mins enjoying the silence.

10. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

P slept 2 hours and 10 min! Woo! But I don't want to repeat this carseat in the PnP thing again, I guess I will stick with a transfer from arms. Today I had errands, hence the carseat and drive.

11. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

Out of curiosity, does anyone else's LO not go to the bathroom at all while asleep? She goes up to 11 hours sometimes without peeing (she'll have one wake up, but apparently doesn't fully wake up enough to pee), then pees buckets in the morning. I've been keeping her in disposables at night, because I don't trust cloth to hold it all when she wakes up!

12. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@Torchwood: no, P is a heavy wetter at night. And she usually pees during naps. Pooping is usually an awake activity though!

13. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: I wonder if it's just a phase or if she'll always be like this. Seems like it'd make nighttime potty training easier!

Dammit, L has pink eye. DH has it, but I was hoping we could limit it to just him. And she JUST had her 4mo appointment yesterday! Arg.

But her appointment went well. We saw a different doctor in the same practice, and liked her much better. Still not sure we'll stay with them, but at least it was better. Her growth is still climbing the charts (moved from approximately 5th percentile to I think 15th, by birth age). She's definitely getting taller faster than heavier though. She's 24 inches, and I honestly think they left her neck more squnched (okay, I say that all the time but I have no idea how to spell it) and she might be taller. And 12lb9oz! I stopped fortifying her bottles weeks ago because I disagreed that it was needed, so it's very gratifying that she's growing so well.

14. abmamma

kiwi / 641 posts

@lilteacherbee: So cute!!

@Mrs. Microscope: doesn't sound like a mom fail to me....we have left N in the car seat when he's fallen asleep there (although rarely stays asleep for long if it is not moving). 2+ hour nap is great though- maybe it will help "reset" things. N also took a better nap in the afternoon. Woke up after the usual 30 mins but was able to pop the paci in and crank up the white noise and he went back to sleep. Ended up with close to 2 hours too!

@Torchwood: I've never had that with either kid but I think one of our friends' kids would have dry diapers at night as an infant...it didn't last though as I recall. But who knows! So glad you had a good appointment but sorry about the pink eye- that is no fun!

15. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

So, I'm over here thinking to myself..,,,why is my baby suddenly waking up every 2-2.5 hours. Oh yeah.... 3 month growth spurt, smack dab Betwen two wonder weeks. so sleepy

16. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@OhCaptain: idk what it was related to but R was doing that all last week. She has been so grunty and restless in her sleep and kicking out of her miracle blanket every night. So 2 nights ago I decided to double swaddle her and she has slept like a ROCK since then. No peeps! And last night she didn't even wake up to feed! 9 hr sleep again!

What do you guys think about "sleep begets sleep"? I moved her bedtime up from 10pm to like 8:30 a couple weeks ago and so far all it's gotten me is an earlier MOTN feeding and earlier wake up time. Last night we actually kept her out til 9pm at a bday party, and she didn't go to sleep too 10 and slept great!

17. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@Torchwood: all I know is that R alwaaaays pees immediately after waking from sleep. I have to wait for it or I'll get peed on! I am so happy with my flip diapers! We use a stay dry insert and a hemp babies doubler underneath and it keeps her dry at night.

18. abmamma

kiwi / 641 posts

@buttermilk: in my experience "sleep begets sleep" has more to do with overall sleep, not just bedtime. Overtired babies/kids don't generally sleep as well (at least mine don't!). I think kids are a little different when it comes to what bedtimes work best, especially at this age!

19. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@buttermilk: P sleeps better at night when she naps during the day. Night sleep we put her down at 9, and she sleeps 5.5-8.5 hours straight depending on the night. She is up for the day around 9 am, 2 feedings in the early morning depending on the length of the first sleep chunk.

20. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@abmamma: @Mrs. Microscope: okay that makes sense. I have a very good sleeper! She sleeps about 9-10 hours at night and then a big 2 hour nap in the morning and three 45-60 min naps during the rest of the day.

21. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

Starting a few days ago, R has had her hands in her mouth all the time! She loves munching on her fingers all day lol. She's also being more vocal and I thiiiiiink I heard what could be the beginnings of a little laugh today. But maybe I'm just making it up? I was playing her a Baby Einstein video and she was loving it!

What new things are all of your babies doing lately? It's so exciting!

22. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@buttermilk: P also loves sucking her hands! She is now batting at the hanging toys on her playmat, and holding her hands together in front of her. She has small giggles as well which melt my and DH's hearts. She also finally noticed one of our cats last night.

23. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

@buttermilk: L uses hand sucking as a comfort measure. He's a total talker and laugher too!

So, for maybe a week or so, he's become a boob screamer in the late afternoon/evening. At first I just thought he's overtired, but now I'm wondering if he has silent reflux? My oldest had reflux, but along with the screaming, we had lots of spit up. L doesn't spit up super often. It's really exhausting because it can take three hours to nurse him and get him to sleep sometimes...

24. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: yay!! So cute R has started batting at toys too and ditto on the hand holding, I didn't realize until you said it!

@Mrs. J: oh no that's rough! Sounds like it could be reflux.

25. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@buttermilk: I've always believed in sleep begets sleep, but with L there seems to be no correlation between nap sleep and nighttime sleep. She's basically great at night and super hit or miss on naps. But if I can only have one I'll definitely take good night sleep!

She's doing basically the same things y'all said- sucking on hands, holding them in front of her, starting to bat at things, giggling, etc. This morning she was lying on her blanket in her room, and the dogs were playing together on the (floor) bed. She was just watching them, and suddenly did the biggest grin and laugh! It was the cutest. Also, with the pink eye (which is already 100% better with some milk in it last night), she was rubbing her eye a ton. Which was kind of pitiful but also good practice on her motor skills!

26. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

@buttermilk: I firmly believe sleep begets sleep, but it totally doesn't matter what time you put them down, so long as they are getting enough total hours.

27. MrsStar

nectarine / 2994 posts

@buttermilk: Isla is rolling (both ways!), and got our first proper giggle on Monday. She's also grabbing and holding toys. She is also a thumb sucker (has been since she discovered her hands) and hates the paci but it means she sleeps 11-12 hours straight a night so I don't really mind. (she sucks her thumb until she's asleep and then pulls it out).

These babies are growing too quickly!

28. abmamma

kiwi / 641 posts

@buttermilk: @MrsStar: I'm envious of your awesome sleepers. Although I can't complain that much- N sleeps WAY better than his big sister did at his age ! He likes an early bedtime though so we do a dream feed before we go to bed.

N is smiling, cooing, and giggling up a storm. I love it. He also bats at and grabs the toys hanging from his activity mat. And he LOVES seeing himself in the mirror! He has pretty good head control these days too. I do need to work on more tummy time beyond when he's on my chest though.

29. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

Love hearing all these updates!

@abmamma: oh mirrors! Yes R loves them too. I took a video of her sitting in her swing smiling up at the reflection of herself in the mirror on top lol.

I can't wait for real giggles!

@Mrs. J: I think you must be right. It's about total hours not just bedtime. Earlier bedtime would make sense if they weren't getting enough sleep but I guess R must be!

30. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@buttermilk: LO1 went to bed at 9pm for a long time (until he was almost a year and then we went to 8pm). I worried for way too long about his "late" bedtime until I realized that it worked for him (he woke up around 8am with one wake up around 5am until he STTN at 11 months).

This time, as a second time mom, I'm just like, eh he's fine hahaha.

31. abmamma

kiwi / 641 posts

@lilteacherbee: lol- I am constantly saying or thinking "eh, he's fine" about N. Poor second child

32. abmamma

kiwi / 641 posts

all the holiday gift threads have me thinking about what to get N since he will only be 4 months at Christmas and has a ton of hand-me-down toys and gear from DD. Family members are already starting to ask for gift ideas and I don't know what to suggest aside from clothes. Moms with older LOs- what are you planning to get for your August baby??

33. MrsStar

nectarine / 2994 posts

@abmamma: So far I've got dd2 some teething rings. Also planning to get some bowls and spoons, and other stuff to prepare for solids. Dd1 will notice if dd2 doesn't get gifts so I'll wrap up some stuff we'll need over the next few months anyway and gift them for christmas

34. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

Liliana is giggling in her sleep! I want to know what she's dreaming!

@buttermilk: L currently goes to bed around 10 (which is now- I need to get to bed!) and has one wake up around 6, and we go back to bed for a bit. Winds up total being like 11-12 hours, but since I pump while we're up a while during that wake up, so an argument could be made that the stretch after that is really her first nap of the day. I'm a night owl and HATE getting up early, and this schedule gives DH more time with her, so we're going with it. I also have always had high sleep needs, and it looks like she's the same.

@abmamma: I've got things like cute clothes, books, and gear on her Amazon wish list. The clothes are ones that are less practical, so I'll be less likely to buy them myself. Things like a water wrap will be useful if we go swimming this summer, and even though it's sort of more for me, she's too young to need all her gifts to be things she'd like.

35. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@abmamma: Ahh I've been thinking about this, too. It's hard because I have 2 boys less than 2 years apart, so we have 3 houses (ours and both sets of grandparents) full of toys and gear from our first LO! I guess I need to do some research for some new stuff.

36. abmamma

kiwi / 641 posts

@MrsStar: I know- DH was like "we dont have to him much, he won't know the difference" but I reminded him that DD would definitely notice. I will have to think about what additional stuff we will need for him in the spring- we just have so much from DD that can be reused!!

@Torchwood: those are good ideas! I should think about less practical clothes for the grandparents to get. Also, I love when N smiles in his sleep- sooo cute. I don't think he's giggled yet- even cuter!

@lilteacherbee: let me know if you come up with any great ideas!

37. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@abmamma: my mom is getting E some stacking cups and I don't recall what I told my MIL she should get. We have plenty of clothes and an obscene amount of toys. We probably won't get either kid something from us, they get so much as it is from family. I'll probably just get solid food gear for her stocking.

38. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

R slept 10.5 hrs again yippee! But I'll def have to pump MOTN. I have a low supply and cannot afford to lose that feeding! She woke up in such a good mood too

Yes yes love this Xmas talk! We have no toys and I barely know what is age appropriate but I've been trying to figure it out. I am planning on a zany zoo, some stacking toys, teething toys, a snowsuit & wintery clothes (unless we have to buy it sooner bc of the weather) and some more books.

I came across these Lost My Name books while pregnant and have been waiting to buy one for her, so that's at the top of the list! https://www.lostmy.name/en-US/books/lostmyname?gclid=CjwKEAiAvPGxBRCH3YCgpdbCtmYSJABqHRVwkSfBUqq_TBmgK_LIy4UaIxjIF2-3DkIjOfPnQcB1ARoCNbrw_wcB

39. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@abmamma: We're getting LO an Anywhere Chair. She won't be able to use it yet, but we want to get her something that will last her for her first Christmas. Plus, they have a star pattern which is just perfect given her name. Grandparents and her uncle will be spoiling her with clothes, toys, etc. Her aunt will be spoiling her with books.

40. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

Anyone doing tummy sleep yet? I don't know much about different sleeping positions, but we were just having tummy time on her activity mat and she started putting herself to sleep sucking on her fingers. Maybe I should experiment with this! She always naps in the swing currently.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee