Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

^^the pants have a turkey on the bum (the same turkey from L's jumper) my mom got them for her.

2. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

We had cute turkey jammies that P wore on the plane last night, but then pooped through when we landed (good timing least!) so no picture! Then today she pooped through both holiday dresses I packed at my cousin's house, and ended the night in Christmas jammies. Laundry tomorrow morning!

3. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: haha so funny! my LO only poops twice a week still! But she has stinky little farts all day long lol

4. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@buttermilk: she only ever poops once a day, but I guess Thanksgiving was a special occasion!

I don't know if it was a Thanksgiving miracle or what, but P slept 6 hours straight last night! First time in a month!

5. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: yay! R slept 7 hrs 2 nights ago, but was back to her usual self last night!

6. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: @buttermilk: C woke up 3 times Wednesday night, but thank goodness, he slept from 9pm-5am last night (which is his norm). Then, I went shopping and left him with DH

7. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

I'm not looking for a real answer here, but WTF is happening to my baby and her sleep. Tonight her longest stretch of sleep has been 1 hour and 15 minutes. Her shortest was just now at 15 minues. FIFTEEN. I tried not going to her, so see if she would settle, but she didn't. Tried shush/pat and that just made her scream (previously she'd just been grunting). Bicycled her legs and got three sharp sounding toots, so maybe Gas? I haven't been super careful
    About avoiding soy bean oil, but i don't think I had any major dairy or soy with out realizing.
    Four month sleep regression? She is 16 weeks now, even though she won't be four months until the 8th.
    My body is pretty well adapted to sleep deprivation, but not like this. I can't do this too many nights in a row and parent my three year old successfully.
    Ok. Vent over. If I say this to my husband he just says "maybe she's teething and needs some tylenol."

8. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@OhCaptain: man oh man, maybe it is the 4 month regression! wouldn't be so early.

I think we may have a teether over here. Her cheeks were rosy red yesterday, and although she always drools it's been out of control today. She's more irritable, putting everything in her mouth, and chomping down on my finger when I let her suck on it. Sure is making for a fun drive home!

9. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@OhCaptain oh mama, hugs. That sounds so awful! If I were you I would seriously do whatever it takes to get sleep... cosleep, rock to sleep, paci, whatever (although I'm sure you're already doing that). I can't remember, are you MSPI? (since you mentioned soy) My LO is so, so sensitive - I accidentally got some dairy at Thanksgiving (I think) and he won't sleep and has been just SCREAMING (this horrible shrill, in pain cry) all weekend (along with the projectile vomiting), so maybe you accidentally ate something.

@buttermilk teething already?!?! Yikes. That feels so far away but I guess it is just around the corner! My LO has recently gotten into wanting stuff in his mouth (he is obsessed with stuffing his fists in his mouth), but he's only 12 weeks, seems too early for teething.

10. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@MrsADS: @buttermilk: thanks ladies. I was nursing her every time she woke up. I would have co-slept, but my three year old was already in our bed! she did eventually do a 2.5 hour chunk, and I went back to bed when she took her first nap. I'm going to go back to being super strict with my diet. I am MSPI, but had popcorn popped in soybean oil a few times this weekend.

As for teething, we are super drooly and putting anything she can grasp in Her mouth. My son got his first two teeth at 4.5 months

11. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@OhCaptain: Holy crap that sounds like pure torture!!!! I hope being more careful with your diet helps. Yikes.

@buttermilk: We're in the same boat over here with teething. At our 4 month appt the ped said M is definitely teething but it will still probably be a few months until we see a tooth. He constantly chews on his hands and is a drool factory. Keeping my fingers crossed its a while still. Im not ready for teeth!!!

M is a whopping 15lbs 11oz and nearly 27 in! Thats average for weight but 97% for height. Kinda crazy since DH and I are pretty average height (5'7" & 5'11").

12. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@lilteacherbee: about your 9pm bedtime - I think I could swing 8pm and I'm gonna try. What does your day look like? When does he take his last nap?

13. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

Anyone else's babies doing acrobatics in the crib? Last night and today I keep finding R totally flipped around when I go to get her. Idk how she is doing it! She does it after she wakes up but before she starts really crying. Last night it was dark and I went in to get her and I couldn't find her head! I thought she was stuck somehwre and panicked! I yelled for DH who came barreling in. I found her and she was okay but we were both about to throw up from adrenaline haha.

She is also acting CRAZY today!!! Bc of the trip maybe? We coasted through the past 2 wonder weeks so maybe she is making up for it with this next one. Seriously hasn't acted this way since 6 weeks. Screaming all the time, awful naps. And it seems like she doesn't want to nurse much which I've never seen before. She will nurse for a few minutes and then keeps popping off, off, off and eventually just won't even take my nipple anymore! What is going on????

14. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

She has taken bottles today no problem. No fever either.

15. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@buttermilk: damn wonder week. I tell ya. E is popping on and off as well. Her sleep is crap and she is VERY PARTICULAR about how she is being entertained.

16. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@OhCaptain: same about being entertained!! Is the nursing thing a wonder week symptom too? Or maybe teething? I'm so confused! Fighting me for every nap too. Maybe it's teething, wonder week, 4 month sleep regression all rolled into one! 😫

17. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@buttermilk: freaking infant year, it's always something.

18. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@buttermilk: So, he normally wakes up for the day around 8-9 (usually depends on whenever his brother makes enough noise...). First nap is 1-1.5 hours after that. He usually takes one long nap a day (around 2 hours) and the rest are about an hour long. His awake time is usually right about 1.5-2 hours.

I'm trying to remember today's timeline:

Awake at 8:30am
    Nap 10-11
    Nap 12:30-1:30
    Nap 3-3:45
    Nap 5:15-6:45
    Bed at 9

He normally sleeps until 5am or so, nurses, then goes back to sleep until 8-9. (Except the past week when he's been up every 2 hours )

19. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

Well first day back at work today! Blargh can't think about it. Just gotta power through. Spent most of yesterday crying.

Baby woke after 3 hrs, 1 hr, 2 hrs, 1 hr!!! Since she is also fighting naps, I think it must be 4 mo regression for sure.

20. abmamma

kiwi / 641 posts

@buttermilk: thinking good for thoughts for you!

I'm headed back to work today as well. I can't believe it's December already- where did the time go?!?

21. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@abmamma: you too! I know - cannot believe my little babymoon is over.

22. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@buttermilk: @abmamma: Good luck on your first days back!!

23. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

Well wouldn't you know I sat down to pump and realized I brought the wrong tubing! Brought the one from my old rented pump on accident so now I'm in an uber headed home to get them. At least I get to see my baby for a minute before DH drops her off!!

24. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

M only woke up once last night to eat...first time EVER. It's a miracle!!!

Are any of you ladies having issues with drool waking the babies up? M sleeps on his tummy and takes about 20 min or so of fussing before he will fall asleep. During that time he usually soaks his sheet so we have to move him into a different spot. (He gets mad if his head is in a puddle and won't go to sleep) Last night was a particularly rough night getting to sleep and he had so many wet spots, we had to change his sheet

25. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@buttermilk @abmamma congrats ladies on surviving your first day back! Hope it went well!

I've had a rough evening. M refused to nurse the last 2 feedings. He's never done that. He just cried and cried when I tried. He was starving and hysterical so I gave him a bottle of pumped milk which he sucked down. I don't know what is happening! I can't stop crying, I'm so upset. Has this ever happened to anyone?

26. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@MrsADS: I've never had flat out refusal, but E went through a phase about a week ago when she would latch on the left for like, 3 seconds then pull off and arch her back and scream.
    But she'd latch on the right. My friend (whose an LLLI leader suggested football hold on the left. It worked. Maybe try a different position? Hugs I know it's an awful feeling.

27. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@ohcaptain He just woke up and he's nursing now. Whew

28. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@MrsADS: My first did that once and it totally freaked me out, but the next day he was fine with the boob and back to nursing. I'm glad he's nursing now for you!

29. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@MrsADS: R was refusing the boob a couple days ago. I was freaked out too but then yesterday she was back to normal.

I survived my first day back! Missed my baby of course but it was nice to feel like myself a bit again. Dude. Sleep regressions are no joke. I got FOUR hours of broken sleep last night. And with working now there's no option to sleep in or adjust her schedule. and of course I'm rackin my brain to troubleshoot her sleep. She followed the schedule to a T for DH and the baby sitter yesterday! Had great naps! Then she will go down for like 5 hours 8-1ish and then up every hour. I guess I should go to bed when she does? But that leaves me no time to do anything I need to do in the evenings.

30. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@buttermilk: I find it hard to go to sleep when the baby does as well! But, I've also found a big difference in going to bed at 9 vs 10. So I try to aim for nine on the nights when it's been rough.

31. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@buttermilk ugh dude that sucks about the sleep. That's my #1 concern about going back to work (well, my #1 concern after LEAVING MY BABY) - is how I will function with the sleep deprivation. I am kind of a high sleep needs person and regularly getting so little has been tough on me. And with BF I usually have 1 cup of coffee in the AM, and maybe once a week I will have a Diet Coke or a 1/2 cup around lunchtime. If I could have more caffeine it would help but with M's GI/reflux issues, I don't want to push it. I probably shouldn't have the 1 cup of coffee that I do, but seriously. Have to function. But I know what you mean about feeling like yourself again. I sort of feel like my brain is turning to mush on mat leave - I never see or talk to other adults really, and although I love being with my baby and feel physically sick about being apart from him 10 hours a day, I sort of feel like I am slowly going crazy trapped at home. Even a 6 month mat leave would be so much more humane. Our babies are still so little. I think in the long run, I am not sure I am cut out to be a SAHM. Wish I could work part time though, like 9 to 3 or something. I will be gone from about 7:45am-6pm which just sucks so much. (I'm a lawyer and I have a stinky commute)

The nursing thing happened again this morning but I think I figured it out. I am wondering if maybe he's going through a little growth spurt. He is wanting to nurse more. I have tons of milk so normally when he nurses, the milk just immediately flows out, he doesn't really have to work for a letdown because I'm usually so full, and now he's nursing so much (and I think my supply has regulated a little, I am not making quite as much), that he has to nurse for a bit (like 30 seconds or a minute!) before I get a letdown and gets SO UPSET and then starts screaming and refuses to latch. I am not sure what to do about it except try to nurse him before he gets crazy hungry, but I tried that (he seemed calm when I started!) but it devolved into HANGRY MAD BABY immediately. Lol. So I had DH make a bottle of pumped milk, and I kept dribbling milk from the bottle onto my nipple to "trick" him to latch and when he would start fussing, dribble more milk, until my milk let down and then he was fine. UGH! I wanted to say "dude, other babies don't have it as good as you, they have to work for the milk every time!" LOL. (Serious note: I do not blame my baby for any of this, I am not for real upset at him at all! He's just a hungry little guy.)

32. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

P is back to sleeping again!!!! We survived whatever it was, and the last week has been great.

But teething has started. Screaming, gnawing frantically on her hand, more screaming, low temperature. Ugh. At her 4 month visit the PA-C felt a ridge, but said it could be days or months before those teeth pop in. So miserable.

33. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@MrsADS: I'm glad you figured it out! That makes a lot of sense. And I totally feel you on having to leave the babies so young. I don't want to permanently SAH forever either. Luckily R seems to be adjusting well! DH loves getting to spend some morning time with her too

So in great news, baby is napping with no swaddle right now!!!! When I picked her up today the nanny said she wanted to try it for one nap and she slept 2 hours!! So I tried it too for next nap and it worked!

We are spending the next couple days experimenting to see how much supplement she will take after ea feed. I've been wondering if she needs more milk and that's part of the reason for her night wakings now. I hope it doesn't affect my supply but I ultimately want a happy healthy baby. (And more sleep for myself!!!)

34. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

Well the nursing refusal/freak out continued at 2 more feedings today. I have no idea why. The only thing I can figure is at both feedings he was REALLY overtired and cranky - usually nursing makes him sleepy but he just got angry and unlatched and started crying harder. I know he was hungry but it was like he was fighting the breast? I don't know. I have plenty of milk so it's not a supply thing. Maybe it tastes weird or something? And the milk was coming out, it's not like he was waiting for a letdown. But last night when he did it and I broke down and gave him a bottle, he immediately calmed down and gulped down the bottle. So I don't know. I'm worried about it. I worry with his reflux maybe he is learning an association that nursing = pain and he doesn't want to nurse.

35. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@buttermilk: at this age, the ibclc consultant I saw last week said 3 oz breastmilk is average, they want 2-4oz per feeding. Feed every 2-4 hours as demanded, average of 1 overnight feed. Maybe you have a hungry girl? I don't know about the formula supplementing, you will just have to play it by ear. But I don't think you are starving her! Also, congrats on the swaddle free nap! R is rolling, right?

@MrsADS: good luck! I have no idea about a reflux induced nursing strike, but I would get help asap! So many hugs mama!

36. kitty

apricot / 315 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: great about the sleep but omg teething! These babies are growing so fast!
    @MrsADS: could your period be returning? I heard that can make the milk taste different. Hopefully he stops fighting it soon.

C slept in today for the first time, it was so weird. He did have a later bedtime because his afternoon nap was so long and I also skipped his dream feed because I went to bed when he did at 9pm. So weird. We have moved on to a 4 hour EASY and he is doing well with the feeds spaced out a bit more, whereas before he wasn't really feeding with enough enthusiasm. I say EASY but it's more like EASASY because we are still having trouble with short naps... I really need blackout curtains.

37. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@Mrs. Microscope the weird thing is his reflux is better controlled now. If he was going to quit nursing due to reflux I would have thought it would have been early on when it was really bad. I don't know.

@kitty that is really interesting! I am googling now and apparently that is a thing! It actually makes a lot of sense. Although if my period comes back now at only 3 months PP I am going to be seriously bummed!

38. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: interesting! Who knows. She has always been small but maybe she is making up for it with a huge growth spurt now? She isn't rolling over but she is turninf around & wiggling all over the crib!

39. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@kitty: good to hear about the 4 hour easy. I'm planning to try and switch over too. Did you do it at once or gradually? I'm starting with letting her lead with cues a bit more instead of watching the clock, even tho it's working well for me! I'm just worried she is napping too much and it's affecting her night sleep.

40. kitty

apricot / 315 posts

@buttermilk: I did it all at once. Our EASY was never perfect and he slept through a feed so by the time he ate it was 4 hours and we just stuck with it. Our night sleep is reasonably good so I decided to stop stressing the naps and come back to it in a month.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee