Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

My mom has been here since M was born and is staying until he's about 7 weeks old. Needless to say, it's been a HUGE help. She's great with babies and was a L&D nurse for like 20 years! That being said...how am I going to survive when she leaves!?!? This kid refuses to nap without being rocked for +20 min and then he'll wake up an hour later. I don't know how I'm going to get anything done!! I know it's too early to sleep/nap train but man....he's making things very tough. I'm jealous of moms with good sleeping babies!!

2. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@Portboston: P is getting worse at sleep! She is only really asleep for naps for about an hour. Longer if she sleeps on me, but then I can't get anything done, shower, eat, etc. Family arrives here tomorrow so I will have a bit of help!

Night time sleep is okay... Could be better. P is so grunty and snarfy and squeaky.. It keeps me up! That and still having itchy crotch as I heal from delivery, I'm just not sleeping well. Hopefully the stitches will heal soon, as it's been 4 weeks almost, and then I can sleep when she sleeps. And we can put her in her own room in another month, after family leaves (they are staying in her room, so it's not even an option right now). That puts her at 8 weeks old... Which I think is too soon but if I need sleep, it might be under consideration.

3. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: night time sleep isn't terrible here. M wakes 2-3x to eat. Last night he was really noisy so I got up to feed him...turns out he just had to poop 😒 DH wants to keep M in our room until he's 3 months. I'm fine with it but I would be ok moving him sooner!!

4. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@buttermilk: I use Baby Daybook. I'd be lost without it! I wish I could find one that could sync between phones so OH and I could edit/see the same data.

5. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@buttermilk: I actually didn't care for baby tracker. I switched to baby connect and LOVE it.

@Portboston: It amuses me that you say "needless to say" about your mom being helpful. I would wind up killing my mom if she stayed for even a week, so my response to someone saying their mom has stayed for weeks is to feel sorry for them. And to you and @Mrs. Microscope baby wearing has been a lifesaver for us. I still can't keep the house spotless (my mom comes to hold her for a few hours once a week so I can really clean) or shower before DH gets home, but I can do dishes, laundry, go pee, etc. We've also been able to go to Magic (the card game) tournaments and play while she just slept in a carrier on one of us. (And go to dinner, run errands, etc.)

6. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@Portboston: You have to hate the poop cries that sound like hunger cries!

7. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@buttermilk: I feel like I need to revisit the brest friend. I have one but wasn't that impressed. Hmm.

I just have to boast a little. Nursing is still crap (improving, but sloooowly), but damn if my supply isn't great. I'm about to hit 400oz in the freezer. It makes me feel a lot better that at least I know I'm still able to give her milk, even if it's not the way I want all the time.

8. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@Ms. RV: Baby connect seems to have that option. I don't use it so I can't say how well it works, but it offers it.

9. abmamma

kiwi / 641 posts

@Portboston: we have our 2 week check up with the ped tomorrow and I'm going to ask about checking for a tongue tie. DS really sleeps best during the day while being held - I'm going to try baby wearing and see if that helps (have a maya ring sling I haven't used yet).

@Torchwood: what's your pump schedule/strategy? I think I remember you have a hospital grade pump which I bet helps a ton but would love to know how you ended up with so much since while we work in the nursing thing here too. I am only really pumping enough for N to eat plus a little extra right now.

10. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@abmamma: I've spaced it out more, but initially I did 7-8 sessions per day. Started doing 15 minutes at a time, but it's around 30 now because that's how long it takes before I stop getting a good amount. I also take MotherLove more milk special blend, and as you said, use a hospital pump. (Speaking of, pretty sure I need to call and renew my rental, crap!) Now that we're trying to nurse more, I nurse immediately after feeding her. Since she's been spacing out her feeds more, I try to get one or two pump sessions in between feeds too. I figure if she wakes up hungry too soon after pumping, it doesn't matter much if I'm too empty since the SNS will ensure she still gets milk. Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm not the best resource, but it's nice to have someone to talk to.

11. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@buttermilk: I am OBSESSED with my baby connect app. I track feeds, sleep and diapers. It helps me remember when I'm sleep deprived! I know some moms can tell what side they nursed on last based on feel, but I never can! Also, I like seeing the sleep patterns emerge.

12. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@Torchwood: oh man I die without my mom here!!! I'd love for her to stay longer. Though I'm not sure DH would like that 😉 if only I could shower with him in the carrier! But yea I do put him in there quiet a bit.
    That's so awesome about your stash!!!

13. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@Portboston: my mom stayed for three weeks (one week before baby) and my inlaws have been here for 8 days and leave Tuesday. I've only been solo with the kids a few times for a few hours. I'm not too worried about how to get things done, becasue I lowered my expectations a loooonnng time ago. My son was contantly nursing or needing to be held. In fact, he is who im most worried about when my inlaws leave. It's been great to have him entertained while I'm nursing or getting the baby dressed/changed.
    I have started to realize that I have NO idea how I'll make dinner. Haha

14. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@OhCaptain: good point...maybe I need to lower my expectations!!!

15. MrsStar

nectarine / 2994 posts

@OhCaptain: Dinner has been a challenge here for lo1, dh does one week of working days and then the next week works nights. He's been on nights this week and to be honest lo1 has been having snack foods for dinner (crackers, muesli bars, yoghurt etc) because Isla seems to be awake and nursing during dd's dinner time/bed time so it's been hard! Also last week when dh was working days I didn't even have the 3 of us dressed until lunchtime, slowly getting into a routine though!

Isla has had some awesome sleeps this week! She's done 3 nights of 7 hour stretches and last night did a 5 hour stretch before nursing and going back to sleep. But of course I wake up after 3-4 hours expecting her to wake up so I'm still getting limited sleep.

16. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@Torchwood: we used the carrier today while I made lactation cookies! and we've used it for going out to eat, etc. I should try and use it more though! Also, my cousin works for Hasbro/wizards of the coast, and did tons of work in formatting Magic cards back in the 90's! It's turned into such a family thing as a result!

@Portboston: my mom passed away, but if she was here she would drive me crazy! My MIL and my former nanny are coming to help, and I know they will be great... But I'm kinda glad P came a bit early and we got 4 weeks to find a rhythm for just us. You will do great!

17. abmamma

kiwi / 641 posts

What kind of carriers is everyone using?

18. abmamma

kiwi / 641 posts

@Torchwood: do you mind if I ask how much you pump now vs when you started?

19. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@abmamma: I started with, well, nothing. Since LO was a preemie I've been pumping from the start; she's never nursed as her primary food source. It gradually increased, and after starting the pills and getting the pump, pretty much settled on 27-30 oz per day. I think it was closer to 18-20 before that, but I don't remember exactly, and don't know if it would have continued to go up without those changes. It's been consistent for about a month now, even with going longer stretches at night. (For reference, LO is 9 weeks.) She eats 15-18oz per day, so my stash is growing very quickly.

As for carriers, I have a wrap and a Mai tei. DH likes the Mai tei, I like both for different times. LO seems to prefer the wrap but not strongly.

20. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@abmamma: I have a k'tan that I love! I also have an ergo for later- I used it with my first after about 5 months.

21. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@Portboston: DH has been back at work since last Tuesday and it's been hard! Our families are both local, so they aren't staying with us. My mom lives 20 minutes away and I'm at her house a lot because I lose my mind at home alone with the 2 kids! She used to watch my LO when I worked, so he's used to being with her. Tonight, he's staying with my parents so I can get a little break!

22. getjazzy

persimmon / 1179 posts

@abmamma: We have a ring sling and 2 tulas. I Tula! The ring sling is good for tiny baby and for quick trips with a bigger baby but my shoulder screams if I wear too long. I want to invest in a woven too. I have one currently, but it's a size 5 which is too long for me so I'm looking to sell it and switch up.

23. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@getjazzy: Oh, I forgot about the sling! I do have that too, but like you it hurts my shoulder. I don't like the uneven weight distribution.

24. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

@abmamma: I have a Solly wrap, an ergo, and a woven wrap.

25. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

Anyone have any input on this? Just emailed the LC, but I could use opinions. Baby girl just ate, and she got about half an ounce from the bottle, and half an ounce from the SNS, plus whatever she got from me (based on a weighed feed, not much). She then fell asleep and is resisting any attempts to wake her up to eat more, despite having just slept four hours since her last feed. Normally she eats 2.5-3oz at a feed, so I'm thinking she'll probably wake up hungry sooner than later. So my question is this- when do I pump? Normally I'd pump as soon as she finished eating, so as to be full again next time. Sometimes I throw in one between feeds if she's going long stretches, just to be safe. But if I pump right away when she just ate a little, she'll likely wake up while I'm pumping or very shortly thereafter, when I'm empty. My supply is great (I pump about 10oz more per day than she eats- 27-30 versus her eating 16-18), but I'm paranoid about messing with it. Plus, even if it would be okay to skip it once, what if she does this several times in a row? If we were straight nursing I would just nurse on demand and have done with it, but I don't know what to do in this case.

26. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

I'm starting to suspect this baby is a sleepy eater. I'm constantly annoying her trying to get her to suck. Any tips? Is there something I can do differently to make her less sleepy?

27. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@buttermilk: other than the normal suggestions of less clothing, rubbing her head, tickling her feet, using your hand to compress a little more into her mouth, trying a less cuddly position, you just have to give it time.

28. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

My 3 day old LO Matthew is in the ER right now :crying:We went to his first ped appt this afternoon and he's been having a ton of projectile vomiting today that's gotten progressively worse, chunky thick yellow stuff. He did it at the ped's office and she sent us to the ER. So we're here getting an ultrasound, blood work, etc. Watching your newborn baby get an IV put in is one of the hardest things I've ever done. They're concerned maybe about pyloric stenosis or some kind of intestinal obstruction. So, I know it's good to check it out. But hard.

29. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@OhCaptain: okay doing all that. So you think it's just part of it? She is just s normal sleepy newborn who will get older and less sleepy? I'm so new to babies!!

30. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@MrsADS: Oh no! I'm so sorry. Watching your baby having to go through something like having an IV in is terrible, and worse when something is wrong and you don't know what. Sending lots of positive thoughts for you and your little one! Hugs. ❤

31. abmamma

kiwi / 641 posts

@MrsADS: oh no! I can't imagine. Thinking of you and hoping they are able to get him healthy again soon.

32. MrsStar

nectarine / 2994 posts

@MrsADS: Thinking of you and LO!

33. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@MrsADS: Thinking of you both Hope you get some answers soon.

34. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@MrsADS: thinking of you and Matthew! Hugs!

35. getjazzy

persimmon / 1179 posts

@MrsADS: I'm so sorry your having to go through this! No parents should have to experience that. Thinking of you guys!!

36. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@MrsADS: thinking of you and your family!

37. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@buttermilk: I think it's just part of it and as long as she has good diaper output and weight gain you are ok.

38. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

@MrsADS: prayers!!!

39. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

They are admitting him to the hospital. Giving him IV fluids, doing more tests in the morning with the ped GI. This is not how I thought the day would go. Poor little guy. My husband has just been holding him for hours sitting in a hard chair in the ER. My milk came in and I'm so engorged and trying to pump. I haven't slept since Sunday night and I won't tonight since I'm staying with him. Not that I would have it any other way.... just feel like I am falling apart.

40. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@MrsADS: prayers for your LO!!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee