Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

OMG my baby has been awake/nursing/fussing since 1am. It's 5:30am now. Ugggh I know it's typical NB behavior but seriously I cannot do this every night. He poops pretty much every time he nurses, so it's nurse, M falls asleep, I change his diaper because he pooped, diaper change wakes him up and he's fussy until he wants to nurse again... and we've been doing that all night.

2. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@Portboston: C rolled to her back last night during tummy time but I am pretty sure it was an accident. That's so awesome M is doing it multiple times.

@MrsADS: I hate nights like that. Hang in there!!

3. getjazzy

persimmon / 1179 posts

@Portboston: My first rolled at 5 weeks! So exciting!

4. getjazzy

persimmon / 1179 posts

@MrsADS: I have found a bit of a trick for that. I nurse, burp, diaper, swaddle (or whatever your thing is) and then pop her back on the boob for a minute to get her back to drowsy/sleeping. Maybe that could work?

5. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@MrsADS: argh I feel your pain. I thought I had myself a little angel baby, until the witching hour finally hit us this week. More like witching second half of the day. Ive been pretty much stranded on my bed all week nursing around the clock. We have a 45 minute session and 15 minutes later she is ready to eat again! I haven't even had time to pump between sessions, and when I do - there's nothing left for her when she decides she is hungry again 5 mins later. We have def been nursing more frequently since we stopped supplementing as much so hopefully it's helping my supply!

6. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

How's everyone doing??

I have my 6 week check up next week..I only had two sitches so there's not much to check! Although I'm sort of dreading having sex again. I told DH we should be celebate...he wasn't fond of that idea

M will be 7 weeks on Tuesday which means only one more week until he's 8 weeks and from what I hear 8 weeks is when things turn a corner. My fingers are crossed so tight!!!

7. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@Portboston: We're good! C is sleeping on my chest right now 😊 He turned one month yesterday, which is insane! Big brother turned a corner around 2-3 weeks and is basically back to his normal, sweet self, thank goodness!! Life with 2 under 2 is interesting to say the least, but I'm loving it!

My 6 week appt is on the 15th and I'm interested to see what she says. My incision has definitely healed better this time! I have some internal scar tissue from 2 c-sections and other abdominal surgeries, so I'm hoping to get her recommendation on a potential third LO (because I really want 3 eventually).

8. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

@Portboston: we are ok! J is generally a sweet older brother, and L is usually very calm and chill. He was one month today. He went from 7lbs 11oz to 10lbs 12oz!!! Of course, he didn't want to nap all afternoon, and he's usually my great sleeper. I hope he sleeps tonight.

On the postpartum front, my appt is at almost 7 weeks. I think I'm getting mastitis, which I had around 1 month with J. Ugh. I am so achy and my boob hurts and is red. Also possibly have some weird swelling down below, but I don't know if it's normal pp? Dr Google of course says scary things like vaginal prolapse...i'mma do kegels and hope it looks good at my appt!

Lol to being celibate...I actually can't wait to get the all clear!!!

9. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

@lilteacherbee: so stinking cute!!

10. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@Mrs. J: Hahaha T is all about NOT being celibate and I'm like... 😳 eh, I'm good.

11. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@lilteacherbee: so cute!!!

@Mrs. J: oh no! I'm sorry to hear about your boob. Hoping it's not mastitis!!

M is not a good napper. I'm hoping it's a phase but he will not be put down. I'll rock him into a deep sleep and the second his head hits the crib mattress his eyes pop open! Night time is so much better (apart from the reflux)

12. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@Portboston: I feel like I never have any good news I don't know what happened, but my supply tanked. I used to have low supply just at night, now I can only get one or two good feedings a day. Went to the LC and found after 30 minutes of nursing, C only got one ounce. She has a good latch, good swallows... it's me. I'm downing oatmeal, fenugreek, and mother's milk like crazy and rented a hospital grade pump in hopes that something happens in the two weeks before I go back to work. Oh and I got a $200 bill today for her cardiologist appointment where they told me basically to come back in four weeks because she's too young to evaluate. The bill is because she's uninsured. Of course she's uninsured! She's considered the same person as me until she's 31 days and then she gets her own insurance. They didn't bother to check her age before sending me the bill. Okay, I'm done ranting. Everything else is really awesome. OH is wonderful. I feel physically great and C is just plain awesome. I'm not dreading going back to work because I am just not cut out to be a SAHM.

13. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@Portboston: Oh about the naps. I am no expert, but could it just be the change from 98.6Β° mom to room temperature crib that is waking him up? Will he sleep well on you?

14. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@Ms. RV: I'm so sorry to hear about your supply! My LC gave me a nursing tincture by Herb Lore that seemed to help a LOT. my friend also swears by fennel oil on the breast (avoiding the nipple).

I'm thinking it could be the temp change from my warm body to the cold crib mattress. I ordered a large heating pad from Amazon so we can try warming the mattress before we lay him down on it. Hoping that will help the transition because I can't get anything done during the day!!!

15. MrsStar

nectarine / 2994 posts

@Portboston: We're doing awesome! LO sleeps on me during the day but is an amazing sleeper at night (so far...) she usually sleeps 8.30/9pm-3am has a feed and back to sleep until 8ish. One night she slept from 10pm through to 8am without waking! She'll be 5 weeks tomorrow and I'll have my last pp appointment with my midwife at 6 weeks which I'm already sad about oh and LO is growing out of most of her newborn sized clothes so I'll need to go through her 0-3 size stuff to see what she fits now which is crazy because my first dd was in newborn size for about 3 months at least.
    Already got cleared for sex by my midwife a few weeks ago but nothing is happening any time soon, I have a prescription for the mini pill but I'm not 100% sure I want to take it so dh and I will be having a talk about contraception before anything happens.

16. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

@Portboston: do you Swaddle him at all? That might help!

17. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@Mrs. J: no swaddling here. He's a belly sleeper due to the reflux so we can't swaddle

18. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

@Portboston: Warmer sheets? For winter we have chenille sheets.

19. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

Doing good over here! I'm just hoping her weight check goes well on Wednesday. She seems to be thriving to me - tons of wet diapers and starting to poop every day finally!!

She seems satisfied after most meals. We haven't been giving her more than an ounce or so of formula each day. Yesterday she had none. I'm just following my instinct, really hope we get good news.

20. getjazzy

persimmon / 1179 posts

@buttermilk: Hoping for good news. We have a weight check in 2 weeks. The doctor said she was on the low end of what they look for (but still within the acceptable range) but now we'll be watching it to see if I need to supplement. I personally don't think it's a supply issue, I have lots of milk but we are dealing with a bit, of what I think, is acid reflux. We have a referral in the works for a pediatrician that deals with reflux issues. Ever since our last appointment and starting probiotics, she has improved vastly so we'll see what happens!

21. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

So jealous of you with good sleepers! M is so, so uncomfortable with his reflux. It breaks my heart. Sometimes he will do okay but it's not unusual for him to cry for an hour after I feed him. I also have a huge oversupply which is making things worse - I know I shouldn't complain about that, but it's really bad for his reflux, so we're trying to space out his feedings and not let him comfort nurse, which is tough. He gained 3 oz in 2 days which is quite a bit more than normal, according to the ped, so she wants us to space them out (more for the reflux than the weight gain). I love him but having a baby is really hard. We're up pretty much all night and I'm so, so tired.

22. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@Portboston: We've had sex once, and it was meh. Definitely didn't feel particularly good, even with lube. But DH was so adorably excited that the midwife cleared me for it that I just couldn't disappoint him. Gonna have to figure out how to healthily balance his needs with my, well, lack of needs.

We're doing really well over here! Just got back from baby's first trip, and she did great! Slept the whole way for the flights both there and back, and overall didn't mind the change of scenery. She got a little overstimulated a couple of times, and had meltdowns, but that was good for us to learn her limits better. (And if I'd had the little hood to cover her head in the carrier I expect that could have helped, oops!) She's sleeping 4-6 hour stretches at night, so I don't feel too exhausted (except today, had to get up early for our flight).

Still not nursing for crap, but we're going to work on it. She's still willing to try, and her latch has definitely improved as she's gotten bigger, so we'll just keep plugging along. Though regarding pumping- every single day (literally) I worry that I'm not getting enough and I must have done something to mess with my supply. And every single day, by bedtime I have plenty. Why can't I let it go?! If anything it's gone up an ounce or two!

2 month appointment is Wednesday, so she's getting her first shots! I'm terrified. So gonna cry. But we're doing a modified schedule to space them out more, so at least it won't be 5 or 6 at once.

And a couple pictures, cause I can. 😊

23. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@MrsStar: Does your midwife only do pregnancies? Mine handles the well woman check ups and Pap smears and things as well, which I'm very happy about.

24. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@MrsADS: I'm in your boat...so much jealously of the good sleepers!!!! M's doing a lot better since we increased his Zantac dosage, but he still wakes up in pain grunting and wiggling in his bassinet. I know he would sleep a lot longer if it wasn't for the reflux hopefully this passes quickly for both of us.

25. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@Torchwood: the 2nd picture 😍 she's so cute!!

26. MrsStar

nectarine / 2994 posts

@Torchwood: Yep just pregnancy, birth and post-partum for 6 weeks (she visited every day for the first week and then once a week since then until 6 weeks). I go to my GP for pap smears and everything else.

27. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@Torchwood: so glad you had a fun trip! What a cutie! Those cheeks kill me!

@buttermilk: so happy to hear R is gaining. Fingers crossed for a good appointment this week.

@Mrs. J: I also can't wait for the "all clear"

28. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@Torchwood: what adorable little cheeks she's getting!

@Portboston: we are doing pretty well. Second baby is so so so much easier! I'm sure she's not actually easier, I'm just not freaking out about everything. I take that back, she is easier, she's willing to be put down for naps and she only wakes 1-2 times per night .
    To those with wakeful babies, I feel you, and I've been there! It does get better.
    My c-section recovery is ok. I definitely have more internal scarring and I'm numb right above the scar, which is new. I'm not worried about sex, other than we need to figure out birth control.

29. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

@Portboston: is the bassinet totally flat?

30. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@Mrs. J: yes. We've tried inclining it and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

31. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

@Portboston: dang! With my oldest, we inclined his crib and made a little nest so he wouldn't slide around, and it seemed to help some.

32. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@Torchwood: God those cheeks!!

Happy Labor Day everyone! Fun plans? We are going to a BBQ at a friends house. Baby's first holiday! πŸ‘ΆπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

33. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@Torchwood: Sooo cute!!

@buttermilk: No plans because we celebrated yesterday with my parents. Tomorrow is my birthday, though

34. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@lilteacherbee: happy early bday!

35. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@buttermilk you're brave!! M is 2 wks old today and I'm terrified to leave the house with him, LOL. I pretty much just sit around topless and we nurse/try to get him to sleep/I try to nap to make up for crappy night sleep! I am looking forward to taking him out... someday!

Also I'm not quite sure how to nurse in public yet. I have so much milk and such a crazy letdown (the milk just pours out) - as it is, me and the baby get soaked at each nursing session (seriously he needs a milk poncho). I wear sleep nursing bras and I stuff a burp cloth in the side I am not feeding on to catch the letdown (which sometimes works - sometimes my bra still gets soaked). And on the side he's feeding on, usually I let down before he gets latched so the milk is just rolling down my side, rolling onto the baby... it's easier for both of us to just be naked (or at least topless in my case!). He had on a cute onesie today and it got sopping wet.

36. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@buttermilk: we were to a friend's house yesterday for a small get together

Today, P had a few flecks of red blood in her first diaper. Second poop, green with more blood flecks. Third poop, olive green, increasing mucous blood. Called the pediatricians and they say it sounds like mspi... And i need to cut dairy and soy immediately.

She is eating great, not fussy, gaining weight, not spitting up at all... Doesn't sound like the mspi stories on HB and other websites. I plan to cut dairy and soy for at least 2 weeks and see if it works, but I hope it's just a growth spurt (she has been eating tons the last 2 days, maybe her digestive system is just overwhelmed?) and this clears up in a few days. I love cheese and yogurt, and don't want to have to give them up permanently. But I will for P, I love her and want her to have my milk.

37. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@MrsADS: I feel bad for you bc I'm sure it's no fun, but that's such a comical scene lol! I still can't get over how different all of our experiences are!

R has been WAILING all evening and I know they say it doesn't mean you don't have enough milk and that they're starving, but boy it sure does feel like it. I broke down and gave her some formula for the first time in days. Ugh this is soooo hard! I just want to know if she is getting enough food. I've been able to distinguish her hunger cries from her tired cries, which is good but omg she was screaming bloody murder and nothing was working. I put her in the bath which she usually likes and you would have thought I was torturing her!! Then she finally calmed down when I put her diaper back on and shoved my boob back in her mouth. Tell me this is just some typical newborn behavior right? DH says she just gets over tired and spins out of control but idk anything as a new mom. Is that true? Total newbie question I'm sure.

38. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@buttermilk: sounds like classic witching hour to me. Unless the formula made a difference?

39. kitty

apricot / 315 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: C had a bit of green poop this morning too and I read that it could be caused by a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance? Although apparently that's pretty rare. I would be sad to give up dairy too.

@Buttermilk: we have had some evenings like that as well, and I wondered if he wasn't getting enough milk but when I hand expressed it seemed like there was still plenty in there. I think he gets tired if he hasn't had some good naps in the day time, and then he's a bit too sleepy to nurse properly in the evening so it takes ages and lots of rousing.

We have had a few wakeful nights where he only wanted to sleep on me, it's so hard to tell sometimes what he wants! I'm waiting to hear from the community nurse for my home visit and I'm so impatient because I want to ask her lots of questions. I heard from one of the mums at the LC drop-in session that the community nurses here run a 'sleep and settling' session so I really want to get in on that!

40. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@OhCaptain: nope it didn't seem to! I still have her pumped milk after that bc she was crying.

@kitty: I've been laying here wondering and I think she isn't getting enough nap time in. I am gonna try to put her on some kind of schedule bc I realized she just kind of randomly naps. I don't even actively put her to sleep any time other than night time. Ugh bad mom over here!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee