Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2016 moms!

1. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@OldpuebloJenn: I either got those same ones or something incredibly similar yesterday!

2. OldpuebloJenn

kiwi / 595 posts

@ShootingStar: great minds!

3. LCTBQE

nectarine / 2461 posts

@Silva: hahaha, love that website, thanks for the timely reminder

@ShootingStar: @T.H.O.U.: feeling you ladies on all of the above complaints (as I update from 2:47am, been wide awake an hour). I'm trying HARD to remember to be very grateful that my little fetus baby is okay and that we were able to get pregnant, but the discomfort of the weight and sharp muscle pain and insomnia and now nausea (it's back from first tri, hellowe) is making me pretty miserable, too. I almost had to leave work today because I was so nauseated and hot-flashy, I think from acid reflux/hormone combo pack. wish lying down still helped the way it did even a couple weeks ago

I talked to my boss this afternoon and arranged to work from home from 2 weeks before my due date, which is a big relief, although that's still over 3 weeks of commuting on the MTA. also had an appointment today and my babe is head down I asked about their episiotomy philosophy and they said they tend to not do them unless absolutely necessary, which sounds great because the thought makes me shiver.

4. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

@LCTBQE: just waving hello 🙋 from over here at 3:18am

5. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Silva: Love that website!

@OldpuebloJenn: Those pants look so comfortable

@LCTBQE: @T.H.O.U.: Pregnancy insomnia is the worst!!

Am hoping for some full moon juju here tonight

6. mrschickpea

clementine / 928 posts

Had our baby yesterday!! Info on labor watch thread

7. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@mrschickpea: Oh my goodness! Congrats..... heading over to have a read

8. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

Ugggh. I've been having very frequent menstrual like cramps since yesterday morning. Once or twice they have wrapped up around my belly and back, but mostly they just stay down low and are very mild. So....nothing, really. They continued all night (at least while I was awake) and this morning. Definitely didn't have this with my daughter, but from what I've read this can just go on for weeks.

I set up a couple play dates and am going to visit my parents one day this week. Trying to keep busy.

9. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

I mentioned to DH last night that we needed to set up the changing table with the newborn stuff. He's super efficient so it was done this morning, lol. When I saw the diapers I was like 😱 They're so small! I forgot how small they are I can't believe we're going to have a teeny tiny baby soon! You'd think someone who's gone through this before would be less surprised, lol. But I'm so used to DS. Diaper comparison for reference ...

10. T.H.O.U.

MRSWHIT1 (Born 7/15) - 0 Months, 8 Days
    July 24: Thismustbetheplace (#2) - 39 w, 2 d
    July 25: APRILFOOL (#2) - 39 w, 1 d
    July 26: Umberto (#1 ) - 39 w, 0 d
    July 28: TeawithPaloma (#2) - 38 w, 5 d
    July 30: dcw6411 (#3 ) - 38 w, 3 d
    July 30: pregnantbee (#2 ) - 38 w, 3 d
    Mossyslane (#2 born 7/13) - 0 Months, 6 Days
    AANDMKLOVER (#3 Wes born 7/12) - 0 Months, 7 Days
    August 1: MrsBeluga (#2 ) - 38 w, 1 d
    Coffeemom (#2 born 7/12) - 0 Months, 7 Days
    mrschickpea (#1 Anya born 7/18) - 0 Months, 1 Days
    August 11: silva (#2 ) - 36 w, 5 d
    August 11: coopsmama (#3 ) - 36 w, 5 d
    August 13: glitter (#2 ) - 36 w, 3 d
    August 16: oldpuebloJenn (#2 ) - 36 w, 0 d
    August 16: MrsSCB (#1 ) - 36 w, 0 d
    August 16: T.H.O.U. (#3 ) - 36 w, 0 d
    August 17: KOALAHUGZ (#2 ) - 35 w, 6 d
    August 18: pwnstar (#2 ) - 35 w, 5 d
    August 19: stratosphere (#2 C/S 8/16) - 35 w, 4 d
    August 20: jojogirl (#2 ) - 35 w, 5 d
    August 22: shootingstar (#2 C/S 8/16) - 35 w, 1 d
    August 24: agold (#1 ) - 34 w, 6 d
    August 25: LCTBQE (#1 ) - 34 w, 5 d
    August 28: mrskerch (#1 ) - 34 w, 2 d
    August 29: clairhuxtable (#2 ) - 34 w, 1 d
    August 30: pirouette (#2 ) - 34 w, 0 d

11. T.H.O.U.

@Silva: How are you feeling this morning? I hope this doesn't go on too long for you.

@ShootingStar: Ahh so cute! Thats one of the next things we have to do (actually set stuff up) .

12. coopsmama

cantaloupe / 6059 posts

@ShootingStar: oh my gosh, my son still wears diapers at night and they are those same 6s and when I compared them to the newborn size it was total shock for me, too. I also just saw a friend's very average sized newborn last week and was blown away by how little she was! How soon we forget.

@Silva: I'm glad you can stay busy this week! I hope that the cramping either stops or turns into something exciting very soon!

@LCTBQE: I'm glad you were able to figure out working from home a little more towards the end! That will be so nice! I work at home PT and, even still, after only two hours at my desk yesterday in front of my laptop was in pain! I can't imagine how some of you are managing down the stretch while working full time!

13. MrsSCB

pomelo / 5257 posts

@ShootingStar: So teeny! When I was folding onesies this weekend, I couldn't believe how small some of the newborn ones were. I'm not totally convinced he will even fit in them. I also noticed that there's a crazy amount of variation in the same size between different brands!

14. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@MrsSCB: Yeah, there is a lot of variance. I use Carters as my baseline because we have the most of those. Gerber runs a size smaller than Carters, so I organize everything by how it lines up with Carters. So I have all my NB Carters and 0-3 Gerber together.

@coopsmama: I know! He's just in diapers at night too and I feel like his underwear is so teeny tiny. Probably because I compare it to adult size. But when I saw those NB diapers I was just like OMG.

15. T.H.O.U.

@ShootingStar: Agree with this! Carters is a good baseline and even the different lines of carters you get from Target vs. Kohls vs Walmart all run very similarly. Gerber is very small.

16. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@ShootingStar: Can you please tell me what you set up the changing table with? Right now, I have wipes and diapers hanging in a little "runner" type thing I got.

http://www.landofnod.com/hushaby-girl-changer-runner/s373933

Just curious what else I will need. Is a wipe warmer necessary? No clue where I will put it if I need one!

17. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@MrsSCB: So you fold your onesies? Do you store them in a drawer? Sorry... I just sort of have mine laid on top of each other right now but I don't feel that's the best option.

And oh my gosh, the onesie sizes! I have these sizes and not sure the difference:

* Newborn 5-8 lbs
    * Newborn
    * 0-3 months

I have them all in separate piles right now!!

18. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@Silva: Those cramps sound crazy! I am glad you were still able to sleep. I hope they don't continue today.

@T.H.O.U.: Thank you for the list! And wow. Your list of pains by weeks in which they occurred sounds just miserable. I'm so sorry you - and most pregnant mamas - have to go through any of that. I can absolutely imagine wanting baby to come out a little on the sooner side with all that discomfort going on.

@LCTBQE: So glad you are able to work from home for a bit. And so glad to hear your baby is head down. Can you please tell me exactly how your asked your OB about their episiotomy question? Like, what was the exact phrasing? For some reason I am so nervous to bring this up. I think it seems to werid and what will my OB say anyways, "yes, I love cutting girls and everyone gets cut!" Hahaha. I don't know why I'm mortified over this subject. Okay, not to be gross, but I'm going to start perennial massage this week because I'm totally terrified of tearing or cutting. I heard girls over 30 and first time moms are most at risk. Hi, that's me.

19. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@ShootingStar: Crazy little! I had gotten a little free pack of bottle, coupons and a couple tiny Honet diapers from Motherhood when I bought some maternity clothes and can't get over how tiny the diapers are!

20. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@agold: Generally baby clothes are sized with the number they will fit UP TO. So 0-3 means they will be loose at 0 and may fit baby until about 3 months depending on baby's size and length.

For your changing table, you'll also want some sort of diaper cream available in case of rash. We just use the original Aquaphor ointment. Not worth buying a ton of options up front until you know what generally works.

A wipe warmer isn't necessary. They get used to them being cold

21. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@pregnantbee: Oh good thought on diaper cream. Someone gave me some and I also have some Desitin, I think. So I will throw that in one of the other little pockets of that changer runner I have. Thank you!

22. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@agold: We have this thing hanging on the changing table: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31YEYDZK72L.jpg

On top goes the wipes dispenser, and below goes the diapers. We also have an assortment of creams that go in the side compartments - Mum & Bub by A&A, A&D, etc. We have the wipes dispenser because we started out cloth diapering and even though we dropped out of it I really liked cloth wipes for the newborn days. After that we put our disposable wipes in there and I felt like it kept them moist longer.

The changing table has a couple open shelves, so on there we have extra packs of unopened diapers and wipes, and I put a basket of burp cloths and A&A blankets there too.

Also, you didn't ask me but I'll answer the onesie question too . I fold them and stack them in a drawer. I have piles for the different types, and only one size in the drawer at a time. So all the NB are in one drawer and I have one pile of short sleeve kimonos, one of long sleeve kimonos, one of short sleeve bottom button, and one long sleeve bottom button. We'll probably mostly use the kimono type in the early days so those are front and center in the drawer. Usually I like things hung up, but onesies are easy to throw in a drawer because you can just grab one off the top and they're all the same. Versus say, pants. I might want a specific pair of pants so I hate digging through drawers for that stuff.

Oh and NB and 0-3 are usually fairly different sizes, depending on the brand. Just lay them on top of each other and you'll see if they should be piled together, or if the bigger ones should wait.

23. OldpuebloJenn

kiwi / 595 posts

@agold: perinial massage worked for me! I'd ask your doctor what is her rate of episiotomies, and how quickly she resorts. You can also call and speak to an l&d nurse at the hospital- ask how they help. Warm compresses and massage prior to crowning are proven to help. Then build those requests into your birth plan. My doctor massaged my perinium between pushing.

24. LCTBQE

nectarine / 2461 posts

@agold: I'm starting perineal massage this week, too! We're the same age I think I said this, exactly: "what is yalls's practice's philosophy regarding episiotomies?" Phrased it like that because I wanted a straightforward, not-sugar coated, honest answer. He said: "we don't usually do them. Every once in a while a small cut is all someone needs to get the baby out when everything is stuck, but we rarely have to resort to that, and natural tears occur more iften IN the vagina and those heal very quickly." Then we discussed that the practice of giving them was kind of old-school and was trending out. The whole interaction made me feel much better. Just ask, you are paying these people $$$$$ and it's your body!

25. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@T.H.O.U.: they stopped about two hours after I woke up for the day.
    I have my 37 week appt tomorrow. I vaguely recall that they offered to check me when I was 37 weeks with my daughter and I declined (but I did start getting checked at 38 weeks). I'm not sure what to do- part of me knows that any information gathered would be generally useful, since you can start suddenly from zero or hang out 3 cm dilated for weeks.
    The other part of me feels a bit surprised by the cramping all day yesterday (plus I've been...emptying my bowels for two days now), and if I could have some kind of clue that I was going to go much earlier than expected (I fully expect to go to 40 weeks)...it would be nice. mostly for ensuring we have plans for my daughter and what not.

26. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@ShootingStar: That plastic thing look like a great attachment to your changing table. And I put burps and A&A blankets in my changing table, too. It has three drawers and I have those in the bottom drawer. Wonder if I should move them up. And thank you for answering about onesies! I asked the question of everyone, really. I think I have mine sorted out exactly like you have it. Except I haven't folded mine. They are just laying flat in little piles. Newborn onesies in a pile. Next to that is newborn tank top onesies that are a little more stylish. Next to that are sleepers. Second drawer is accessories. So a little pile of pants. Then a pile of shorts and diaper covers for under dresses. And then a pile of cotton/functional outfits. Third drawer is the burp cloths and blankets.

Then there is a tall dresser of drawers in the closet. Those drawers are filled with the next sizes.

Fancy clothes are all hung up.

Socks and mittens are in a pile inside an upside down sun hat right now! Shoes are thrown into a basket in an ikea kallax square thing in the closet! Need to work on all of that.

@OldpuebloJenn: Would you mind sharing your birth plan? I don't have one written up and I don't know if I plan to do one. Could I just google "birth plan" and make one from there? I feel so funny thinking to ask someone "please massage my vagina". OMG, I'm such a prude.

@LCTBQE: I want to use your exact phrasing, including using the term "yall's". It sounds like your doctor gave you a great response!!!! And so funny that you and are both starting this fun massage. I'm hoping my husband can do it some days because that may really make it a little more fun.

@Silva: Is there any reason or benefit to decline cervical checks?

27. OldpuebloJenn

kiwi / 595 posts

@agold: this is my plan from 2012, my current one is different- standard practices have changed (most hospitals delay cord clamping now), and we'll be at a birth center rather than in a hospital so many of my requests are standard there.

Labor:
    No IV, no medication
    We request time to labor
    Freedom to move, limited fetal monitoring
    Don't make me push on my back or limit movement
    Please minimize vaginal exams and do not announce dilation

Delivery:
    No episiotomy, provide perinium massage
    do not aggressively coach me to push
    do not clamp the umbilical cord until it stops pulsing
    place baby with me immediately for skin to skin contact and breast feeding. We will dry our baby ourselves.
    Please do not remove baby for newborn procedures for 2-3 hours (eye drops, etc)
    Let placenta come out naturally, limit pitocin

Post Delivery
    Our baby is to be (hopefully) exclusively breastfed- please do not offer baby a pacifier
    We will do all the bathing of the baby.

You can google birth plans and see lots of options.

28. OldpuebloJenn

kiwi / 595 posts

@agold: child birth will help take care of some of that prudishness! I pushed naked, cause I was feeling very sensitive to clothes. I remember before the birth team came in, my labor nurse said there was a man on the team, would I mind him seeing me naked. I gave zero effs. Turns out he was the one to clean up my vag, apply the ice pack and help with stitching my labia. I thought to myself, how can I care about him seeing my breasts when he is in a war zone down there? Modesty goes to zero!

29. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@agold: i think some research suggests that it might increase the risk of premature membrane rupture, resulting in a need for induction/intervention.
    Plus, like I mentioned, it doesn't really tell you a whole lot- I didn't dilate at all until I went into labor with my daughter, so the internal check I had done a few days before that just disappointed me.
    BUT- if they said "you are 3 cm dilated!" (yeah, right) I'd definitely get my ducks in a row to be prepared to go early. No guarantee I would- I could walk around like that for weeks.
    All of that said, I remember feeling disappointed that I didn't do it, even at 37 weeks last time. I am a person who generally likes to have as much information as possible, even if there isn't anything to do with that info.
    I guess I will just ask them about it tomorrow and make my decision then.

30. coopsmama

cantaloupe / 6059 posts

@agold: @Silva: Silva is right. There isn't really a huge reason to decline the checks (health-wise - complications because of them are VERY rare like introducing infection or PROM) but they also don't really happen to show a whole lot because every woman's body is different and will gear up for labor in a different way. I was closed up tight until I went into labor with my first and had him the next day but I walked around at 4cm with my second for over 2 weeks. I had even had my bloody show and lost my entire mucus plug and STILL didn't go into actual active labor. So all that to say, if you're curious - do it. But don't put too much stock into them. They could mean everything or...absolutely nothing.

31. LCTBQE

nectarine / 2461 posts

@coopsmama: this is such a helpful summary! Thank you

32. MrsSCB

pomelo / 5257 posts

@agold: Yup, they are folded and in the changing table/dresser drawer. I basically have all the clothes through three-months in the dresser and then the bigger clothes stored in a closet. We don't have a lot of space right now, so just trying to keep minimal amounts of clothes readily accessible, and the rest waiting until he fits into them!

@ShootingStar: @T.H.O.U.: Omg, yes, the Gerber ones are the teeny tiny ones! Too bad I ordered two five-packs on Prime Day...not sure we'll even be able to use them. At least they were cheap anyway.

Just got back from my appointment. Baby is head down and I am one cm dilated and 30 percent effaced. I noticed I'm bleeding a little after...normal, right? I've had a few other cervical checks and didn't have any bleeding, but this one was the most uncomfortable.

I also asked my doc her thoughts on epidurals and I liked what she said. Basically, there's no reason NOT to get one if you want it -- they can slow down labor a tiny bit, though she said it's a matter of 20 or 30 min, not hours. But she's never like, "Get it just to get it." It all depends on how your body tolerates labor, and if things are progressing fast and she can predict whether it'll be a few more hours vs. 10+ then you may not even want one. But if you do, that's totally fine. I liked her attitude because it's basically been my attitude -- wait until labor starts, see how it goes, and make a decision at that time.

33. T.H.O.U.

@MrsSCB: Some of the gerber things make great undershirts!

34. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@OldpuebloJenn: Thank you for sharing your birth plan. So no iv means that you did not want any epidural, right? And that's so funny about child birth ridding us of our prudishness. I absolutely imagine that to be true.

@Silva: That is very interesting to know that cervical checks can possible cause a need for induction. Ugh. That would be awful. Maybe I will decline them, too. Like you, I like to have all my ducks in a row. I've gotten a little motivation to do that, though, by the PA wondering out loud if my baby had dropped. That makes me think she's ready to come!

@coopsmama: That is all so very interesting!! Most every one I know in my close circle had c sections for various reasons. I feel like I'm the only one I know that is just waiting for the surprise labor to start! Oh my gosh.. Its such a crazy thing to even think about! I can't even imagine getting some info like "you are 3 cm dilated" at a normal OB check appointment.

@MrsSCB: OMG. 1 cm dilated!?! Is that crazy to you? Sorry your check was uncomfortable and I really hope the little bit of bleeding means absolutely nothing. As for your doctor's thoughts on epidural... I like those thoughts! Exactly how I want to handle it all.

35. OldpuebloJenn

kiwi / 595 posts

@agold: yup, no iv no meds. I went unmedicated during my first birth, I did get an iv of fluids after I had delivered, and did end up getting pitocin after the placenta had passed, since I was bleeding heavily, but no fluids, no meds during labor.

36. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

So I was really feeling like chips and was looking through the cupboard to find something to munch on. I found what should of been half a bag of corn chips and was soooooo excited only to find my husband has been helping himself and there was about six left

37. Umberto

grape / 75 posts

@AprilFool: Noo! that would have been enough to make me cry! I've taken to hiding muesli bars in an old handbag in my wardrobe otherwise DH scoffs them all

38. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Umberto: I was SO mad! Why do they eat a pregnant ladies food without asking?

39. T.H.O.U.

Can someone tell my kids to stop stealing my food! Especially in the morning when we are getting in the car and I grab some breakfast. I'm already jittery from not eating immediately and then having to run/climb around getting them ready for an hour. And then they pitch a fit when I dont share with them!

40. dcw6411

apricot / 382 posts

Morning ladies. Popping in to say I'm scheduled to be induced on Saturday morning, unless baby boy decides to come sooner. I'm 3cm and 90% and the doctor stripped my membranes on Monday. No real progress since then, so I am thinking that Saturday will be the day.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee