Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2016 moms!

1. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@coopsmama: shoulders, back, hips.....you name it.
    I have to plan something out every day too.
    Tomorrow we are probably berry picking in the morning and then doing a play date at a friends house before my late afternoon appt. (my 38 week appt!!!! 😳).
    Maybe visiting a friend with a pool on Thursday....

2. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

In case you're all wondering....still pregnant over here. And no sign of anything imminent. 4d until EDD.

3. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@pregnantbee: Ha! I was still wondering, actually. I can't imagine being that close to your due date! you are almost there!

4. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@agold: Hahah

5. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@pregnantbee: *augh* This is so not the time for your LO to be fashionably late! C'mon baby girl--let's get this party started! πŸ’“πŸ’žπŸ’•

6. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@pregnantbee: I would think that this would be such an amazingly exciting few days for you!! you are off of work. do you have everything done and ready for the baby? now you just wait? How exciting!! I am praying I can have a restful few days before my baby comes.

7. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@agold: It's been mostly good being off -- tinged with some annoying things that are causing stress and inconvenience.

8. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@pwnstar: Thanks. Send all labor thoughts this way!

9. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

Etr: yanno, this might be funnier in a month or so. I will save it for then!

10. Umberto

grape / 75 posts

40 week bump! ...Get out baby!! Anyone else with a recent pic?

11. LCTBQE

nectarine / 2461 posts

@ShootingStar: ugh I always think of the perfect comeback like 20 minutes later. well, screw her. anyway it's peanuts compared to your *awesome* promotion news! that's wonderful. so nice that you get to take mat leave with a shiny new title/raise

I know most of yall are not first timers here, and I have no idea how any of you are dealing with taking care of your kids, working, and living through these last few weeks--I am so wiped out and I don't have any little human looking to me for their every need.

@pregnantbee: was your son early/on time/late? this is probably the most ridiculous old wives tale out there, but have you ever heard that eating eggplant parm can bring on labor?

my husband and I are finally trying to get our shit together and find daycare. we visited one tonight and it was so depressing--ten kids ages 3-20 months in two rooms about as big as my kitchen and living room. they never go outside, one of the rooms is windowless, and it's 9 hours a day. all the babies looked engaged and happy and I saw a couple parents picking up while I was touring, and everyone seemed cheerful enough--I think the reality of what it will mean to stick my *tiny* baby in a place like that day every day indefinitely is just sinking in. we're visiting another one tomorrow morning, the other 5 places we tried won't even return our phone calls/emails. I'm thinking about looking into a nanny share.

12. LCTBQE

nectarine / 2461 posts

@Umberto: looking good!! splitting my best labor vibes between you and @pregnantbee:

13. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@Umberto: So so pretty! I lost my full length mirror at work since I stopped working. No good full bump shots. Happy 40w!! Fingers crossed baby comes soon!

14. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@LCTBQE: My son came about 1.5 days late. I was uncomfortable at the end then, but don't remember begging and pleading for him to arrive already. It's so much harder this time. I'm really really over it!

It's hard to find a good daycare, especially when they don't return your calls! How frustrating. I hope the next one is better. A lot of the searching has to do with checking items off a list and then ultimately it's up to your gut. It will steer you correctly. xo

ETA: We also did a home daycare, and our son stayed there until age 3! It became a preschool at age 2. Loved the experience so much that we will be sending our daughter there, too.

15. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@LCTBQE: I know things are really different in NYC, but for what it's worth I couldn't handle the thought of a center for my daughter either (and she didn't go until 16 months). I felt like what was most important at that age (and younger) was the consistency and attachment to a single caretaker. Babies attach to people, not centers and at least where we are I was really alarmed by the degree of turnover in center staff. we went with a small in home daycare and had an incredibly positive experience. I would have done a nanny or nanny share if we could swing it financially.
    It's a really difficult and scary decision, whatever route you end up going. Honestly the hardest part of becoming a mom for me was learning to trust the decisions I made. It's so easy to second guess everything, and compare yourself to others (at least, it was for me) but you have to get to a place where you can choose your choice and be confident in it.
    I hope you can find a place that feels like the right fit!

16. mossyslane

cherry / 215 posts

@LCTBQE: You will find a childcare situation that you feel good about, but I sooo remember how awful that process was at first. My best advice is to keep searching and stay open to all options until one of them truly feels good. I was so depressed by the options available to me at the time and eventually chose a home daycare just for babies that my daughter went to for her first year...

17. mossyslane

cherry / 215 posts

@pregnantbee: I feel for you, due date buddy! Your time is coming like a freight train.

18. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@mossyslane: Thank you. xo

19. LCTBQE

nectarine / 2461 posts

@agold: missed your update! that's so great that your fluid levels are hiked up. nice job on the hydration and rest keep us posted.

@Silva: @pregnantbee: thank you for the advice
    @pregnantbee: I know you're right about trusting the gut instinct... just worried that my gut instinct won't like any of my options
    @Silva: this is good to hear about the attachment to a single caregiver, and I know a lot of my co-workers LOVE their nannies. a share situation we could do, def not employing a single person. it didn't even occur to me to ask about staff turnover rates. my good friend used the day care we just visited for a few months and had a positive experience, so I'm not sure if I just need to get on board with what it means to be a full-time working mom in NY, where the options are $$$ and there's no outdoor space. and yeah, ideally it sounds nice to feel confident about your parenting decisions--I think it might be a while before I get there though thanks for the encouragement.

20. LCTBQE

nectarine / 2461 posts

@mossyslane: aw thanks for the empathy, it's a relief to hear you went through this, too. I knew this was the big missing piece, but now that we're finally trying to crack it open I'm panicking a little. it was more pleasant when it was just a giant elephant in the room. glad that you found a situation you liked and I do hope I find one, too!

ETA @MrsSCB: what did you end up doing with your daycare situation? are you paying that place their extra month of $ just to keep your spot?

21. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@LCTBQE: I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience looking for day care today. How can a room even legally be windowless? Day care is certainly stressful. I think a nanny share sounds like a good idea. Do you have friends that you know that will share a nanny?

@Umberto: You look great at 40 weeks! I love your long hair. How are you feeling??

@pwnstar: Such a funny shirt!!

Here's my 36-weeks-tomorrow bump!

22. LCTBQE

nectarine / 2461 posts

@agold: you look great!!! cute tee. and in NYC every apartment I've been in has windowless rooms, they're the middle rooms in brownstones. ALL of the daycares I know of are in apartments like this. I think they do most of the playing in the room with windows and maybe the other room is more for nap time and stuff. the thing is that I don't know that it was really "awful"--I mean the parents I saw doing pickups were just like me, and as I said my very close friend used this place, so... maybe I just need to understand this is what it looks like. going to feel it out this week. we do have a friend in the hood who just had a baby a few days ago but who is going back to work around the same time I am, so I'm working up the balls to ask her if she's interested in doing a nanny share.
    ETA: I keep forgetting and remembering again that our due dates are basically the same I love that you're totally not ready for her and I'm (obviously wanting full term) but getting so impatient over here. xx

23. Umberto

grape / 75 posts

@pregnantbee: Thank you! I'm also sending labor vibes your way! I like guessing who's going to go next!

@agold: Thanks! I like your photo and I'm jealous it's summer over there and you all get to wear cute dresses and tshirts! Also yay for your fluid going back up, hopefully one less thing to worry about! I'm still feeling really good physically which continues to amaze me.

@LCTBQE: Thanks I feel the same about all the 2nd and 3rd timers, I still feel good now, but I know if I was chasing around other kiddies I would be so over it by now! BTDT mums are guns!

I'm getting pretty nervous about being a FTM! DH and I have no baby experience and I'm not exactly a maternal person...how can I be responsible for a tiny, helpless person?? I hope I'm not the only first timer feeling this!

24. MrsSCB

pomelo / 5257 posts

@LCTBQE: yes, we're paying the extra month. I don't love that aspect, but I'm really happy to be at that daycare vs. the other one we were in. Definitely a trade off. And I've since had a friend tell me she's heard of a few day cares that require tuition to hold spots so maybe not as unusual as I thought? Still seems kind of crazy to me...I think I'll use it to my advantage to get both of us used to the daycare thing gradually with a few hours here and there toward the end of mat leave.

Anyway, I hope you find a place you like! It's a rough process, I visited a ton of places and wasn't that into quite a few but I guess it worked out reasonably ok in the end.

25. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@Umberto: I was so so nervous about becoming a mom the first time around. I promise it's normal. We're here for support. Ask anything - no question too silly. Promise. xo

26. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@Umberto: Even if you don't feel *maternal*--I know I sure didn't--it kicks in the second your baby arrives. And you may not even realize it (or at least not the breadth and depth of it) until later, but it's definitely there. You look beautiful!

@agold: You look great-so so cute!

@LCTBQE: I completely and totally understand the panic setting in. It was so bad for me I actually agreed to let my MIL move in to care for my LO (for a period of time). Long story short, I should have gone with my gut and with my original plan (daycare); not long after my LO was in daycare, my daily anxiety decreased significantly, and everything just got better and better. The teachers truly care(d) about my LO--and me. It was (and continues to be) a very positive experience. I wish I knew the magic words to say to ease your heart and your mind. So much!

27. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

My 37 week appointment was uneventful as expected yesterday. No cervical check because he agreed it doesn't really matter much at this point. I see the PA next week so hopefully she can check me. We went ahead and scheduled appointments for 39 weeks and 40 weeks.

28. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@T.H.O.U.: I booked through 40 weeks at my 36 week appt. The scheduler was like, you can always cancel if you go early, to which I replied "shhhhhhh you are jinxing me!" Like how every time I leave an appt now the doctor says "well, we will PLAN to see you next week." Shut up. You will see me next week, stop torturing me

I am already signing this baby up for a parent child class! I did them for three years at the Waldorf school with my daughter, and they were so important to my transition to parenthood. I'm really looking forward to starting again and sharing that special time with this baby. Early registration starts now, and I didn't want to lose a spot in the class that happens on the day big sis will be in school. The class starts September 8th, so if baby doesn't come until due date or beyond I may miss the first week or so since it will be awfully little.

I know I'm a broken record, but I'm exhausted. I was awake from about 3am-5am, and the fell back asleep until my husband woke me up before he left at 7:30. I was so uncomfortable. And the baby wasn't dancing around like it usually does at that time, so then I got super paranoid- but it eventually moved. I think it was finally hanging out in the anterior positon so the were as many jabs to the side as I'm used to.
    38 week appt this afternoon!

29. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@Silva: I feel like a broken record too. I'm 1-2 weeks behind you guys and I have no idea how I'm going to make it through to my c section at 39w. Everything hurts so much. Going to sleep causes me anxiety because I know it's going to be a rough night. My hips hurt so bad when I lie on my side and my pregnancy pillow is making them worse. And without the pillow my SPD is excruciating.

Work is a whole other nightmare of uncomfortability. And people have started commenting on my pregnancy every single day. Luckily I only have 2.5 more days in the office so I hoping to feel slightly better next week.

I'm just so done and want this baby out.

30. MrsSCB

pomelo / 5257 posts

Nights are the worst. I feel reasonably ok during the day, but at night I feel nauseous and ridiculously thirsty but if I drink water I get heartburn. I'm waking ever 1-2 hours and have trouble falling back to sleep. Unisom helps me fall back to sleep but I feel weird taking it every night, even though my doctor said it was ok. Ugh. Sorry, I don't like complaining but during the day I think, "I can do three more weeks!" and then all night long I don't know how I'll make it.

31. T.H.O.U.

@MrsSCB: Im sorry. I have been "STTN" but I realized that it really hasn't been restful sleep at all. So last night I took a unisom (just half) and I think it helped but I still was awake rolling over. I try to drink most of my water while I'm at work (8-5) so by the time I get home I have something small with dinner and something very small before bed and thats the end of the liquids. My dad swears that the apple juice or apple cider vinegar helps his reflux so sometimes I will drink that if i'm really thirsty at night.

32. T.H.O.U.

I just did my "countdown"

In my β€œperfect” world, Aug 18 (thursday) is a good day for an induction which is 21 days away.

Last day of work is Friday Aug 12 - so only 12 more days of work (including today!)

33. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@MrsSCB: My days start to go downhill right around 5ish. By then, I have been up and moving for at least 12 hours, and am on my way home from daycare with LO to do dinner/bath/bed. I am just super uncomfortable at that point (my belly is constantly tight and sensitive, and the aches and pains start to set in). I generally feel pretty good in the mornings (despite my two regular wakeups around midnight and 2:30/3), but I hear you on having a completely different outlook in the morning versus at night.

34. coopsmama

cantaloupe / 6059 posts

@T.H.O.U.: August 18th would be the day I would sign up for induction, too, I think. I've thought long and hard about it and my practice offers inductions at 41 weeks with the option to go to 42. I went to 42 last time and had additional monitoring which is just not super feasible with the kids and having to get babysitting so I think I will opt for an induction on August 18th provided I haven't gone into labor then. Maybe we will be induction buddies. (I truly hope not - would much prefer naturally going into labor like I did with my first.)

35. coopsmama

cantaloupe / 6059 posts

@Silva: What goes on at the parent/child class when they are so little? I'm intrigued!

Good luck at your appt today.

36. OldpuebloJenn

kiwi / 595 posts

@T.H.O.U.: I swear by apple cider vinegar too. I woke up at 4:30 with awful heartburn, drank a glass of water with 1tbsp mixed in and it's gone. I don't like taking tums or antacids, and luckily it works for me!

37. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@coopsmama: when they are babies it's mostly time for parents to talk. We sing songs and do gentle finger plays/tickles, and then observe them quietly. Then we share observations from home and class. We share a small snack/light lunch and the teacher facilitates some discussion about a parenting topic, and gives us articles to read. As they get older it changes, the class my daughter finished in went outside for a while, did a circle time, and helped do chores (washing dishes, chopping apples). It's all from a Waldorf perspective which resonates for me because of the emphasis on rhythm and protecting childhood/creativity. My favorite part, and honestly the reason I keep going back and paying the $$$$$$ is the teacher. She is so kind and funny and doesn't take stuff too seriously- she has honestly been a formative Influence on me as a parent.
    All of that said, the classes are also dependent on the other parents, and I will be the first to admit that Waldorf can attract some...challenging parents, at least around here where it's kind of "elite" due to cost. So I am signing up for the first session and we will see if it's going to work for us again. I got lucky with my daughters first class and am still very close with some of the moms I met there.

38. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@LCTBQE: Thank you! T-shirt is from gap maternity. And yes! Our due dates are one day off, I think. So that's interesting about new york apartments having windowless rooms. Maybe I thought from watching HGTV that such thing was against building codes. But I'm not a city dweller. My young cousin face timed me last week from her little NYC apartment that she shares with like 4 other girls and they some how all have their own room because of these walls that have been put up. So so so random but she's having a blast. Are you looking at only licensed day care centers, or will you consider un-licensed centers? And I hope that your friend will be open to a nanny share with you. Just ask her - no balls needed for that!! And how would the nanny share work out for you? Will you or your husband be able to work from home some of the weekdays? Isn't child care such a crazy daunting thing to figure out??? My husband and I often talk about me staying home. But I actually make a little more than him and we are too vain at this point to cut our income in half and give up the cars and hobbies that we love. But I'd do it in a heart beat if I couldn't figure out a good child care situation that made me comfortable.

@Umberto: Its so great to hear that you are still feeling pretty good physically!! I am, too! Is it possible for us to stay this way all the way until the end??? And I forgot you are in Australia! Does it get super cold where you are? And you are not the only first time mom here - I am, too!!!! Yikes! I'm really worried about being able to sufficiently feed the baby. And how do I keep her at an appropriate body temperature? I don't her to be too hot or too cold. We will both be in the same boat!!

@pwnstar: Thank you! And that's kind of funny about your move-in MIL care not working out the best for you. Maybe if she hadn't moved in.... I'm so glad you found a day care solution that made you feel so much better.

@T.H.O.U.: Wow! It must be so crazy to be scheduling appointments through your 40th week!! How exciting!!! And an uneventful OB appointment is really the best, right?? That's all I ever hope for. And hooray for only 12 more days of work for you!!! That's awesome. I just counted and I have 15 more days. Yikes! I better get working faster!!!!

@Silva: You are funny! Are you hoping that your baby does NOT come early?? And very interesting about the Waldorf class. I've never heard of it but it sounds great. There is a waldorf school in my county, but I've also heard about the the "challenging" people who attend there. I'm not totally leaning into that group of people although I have small tiny tendencies towards them.

39. MrsSCB

pomelo / 5257 posts

@T.H.O.U.: I need to be better at drinking more water at work, I think. I'm guessing I'm so thirsty during the night because I'm not hydrated enough by bedtime. I just get so full, it's hard to get all that water down! I also do half a unisom, because the one time I took a full one, I was soooo tired for most of the following morning. And yay for 12 more days of work! I'm hoping to start working from home at some point...Maybe the week before my due date? I should probably actually bring that up to my boss...ha.

@pwnstar: Yes, it is so weird. I'll be so uncomfortable and miserable all night that I just want to cry. And then it's morning and suddenly I'm like, "OK, things aren't so bad!" and then repeat.

40. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@MrsSCB: Totally reminds me of the movie Groundhog Day!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee