Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2016 moms!

1. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@ShootingStar: not being able to do basic stuff is so frustrating, I feel like I'm totally ignoring my daughter half the time.

2. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@ShootingStar: @Silva: Add me to the party. I'm so so over being pregnant. Went to a kid's bday party on a farm yesterday and the heat floored me. It also required walking a decent way to see various animals. I didn't want to miss out but wow that was hard. Can't wait to do things without pain again. Like sit on the floor AND not take forever and a crane to get up!

3. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

@Silva: I feel the opposite. Baby was climbing up into the ribs this morning! Wrong way baby!

4. CoffeeMom

cherry / 239 posts

@MrsBeluga: I started losing mine about ten days before I went into labor. I lost it in small pieces over those ten days. I had my bloody show and went into labor about 24 hours later though! Hope this means things are moving along for you!

5. T.H.O.U.

@pregnantbee: I had DH take DD to a farm bday party yesterday. No way I was going to survive that

6. MrsBeluga

apricot / 442 posts

No signs of labor yet:( I was so excited to lose my plug yesterday but alas am still waiting. Went to the mall this morning and walked around for 3 hours and have been drinking red raspberry tea like mad (so good cold and mixed with lemonade), hoping this kiddo really does come out in the next day or so (which would be lovely because our toddler can go to school all day and DH can hang with me at the hospital and we won't need to rely on family and friends too to much).

7. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@MrsBeluga: Boo. Hopefully soon. I just got some raspberry leaf tea. Maybe I should start drinking it in case it does help?? I hope I go into labor during the day since it will be so much easier for our friends to help with DS.

8. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

The timing with and older kid is so nerve wracking!
    My mom leaves for a vacation today, coming back Friday... My brother and his girlfriend are our backup care plan, but they haven't ever taken care of her that long and can be harder to get ahold of. So now I'm caught between really not wanting to be pregnant anymore, and it being terrible timing for me to have the baby... Not that it matters what I want, obviously

9. MrsBeluga

apricot / 442 posts

@pregnantbee: I don't know if the tea really works, but after getting induced last time, I am willing to try everything to get this kiddo out on his own! The tea basically just tastes like black tea, no raspberry taste, and given that it's July, I've found it it easiest to brew, then refrigerate, and drink iced as an Arnold Palmer - easily getting in 4 cups a day.

10. T.H.O.U.

@MrsBeluga: I've been drinking the tea for a while but no progress. I do about two bags for 30-40 oz of water per day. Maybe I need more?

@Silva: agree. My mom is out of town for the next nine days or so.

11. Umberto

grape / 75 posts

@MrsBeluga: @pregnantbee: I'm drinking it too, cutting it with apple juice because I hate hate hate tea. My OB recommended it, but said it wouldn't really bring on labor so much as make the contractions more efficient when the time comes? I'm dubious, but willing to try! Still zero signs of any progress over here

12. coopsmama

cantaloupe / 6059 posts

@Umberto: So, I'm huge into herbs and use them all the time for a variety of things and you are correct. RRL will not cause you to go into labor but it does help make contractions more efficient! However, it's truly best to be taking them over a long time for the best results for that. I've been taking strong red raspberry leaf, alfalfa, nettle leaf and oat straw infusions since about 26 weeks. I have with both of my other kids as well.

13. Umberto

grape / 75 posts

@coopsmama: I didn't start until last week, whoops! Probably won't do anything for me then, but I guess it can't hurt either

14. MrsSCB

pomelo / 5257 posts

I'm intrigued by the tea, though sounds like it may be too little, too late. I like tea regardless, though, so why not? Any particular brand, or it doesn't matter?

15. LCTBQE

nectarine / 2461 posts

@Silva: thank you for sharing that article! really informative. hopefully if need be your brother would step it up do you feel like you're on high alert yet, or just medium alert right now? I know we've talked before on this thread about how "they" moved full term from 37w to 38w, but 37 still feels like the big milestone to me for whatever reason.

16. LCTBQE

nectarine / 2461 posts

@MrsBeluga: sounds like you're doing everything under the sun, lady--hope it gets going soon.

@coopsmama: ahh, I was so confused about when we were supposed to start drinking that tea and exactly what the heck it does, so thanks for this.

17. Umberto

grape / 75 posts

@MrsSCB: I don't think it really matters as long as you make sure its the raspberry LEAF tea and not just raspberry flavour or whatever. I just grabbed whatever the chemist had and the label mentioned uterine health so I assumed it was the right stuff!

18. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

Wow, thanks for all the tea responses. Sounds like I'm late to the game. Still think it's worth it? I can't explain it but I've had the biggest craving for iced tea over the last several weeks - black, Moroccan mint from trader Joe's, green tea lemonade from Trader Joe's. I bet I'd like cold raspberry leaf tea. I got one that says women's health.

19. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@Silva: I'm also worried about timing with respect to care for my boy. We have no family nearby, so I'm relying on neighbor friends. One just got back from a weekend away (first on the list) and one of her daughters now has croup. Uhhhhh. Yeah, don't want my son and then baby to get that. So next one is on call but has company coming on Wed. Third is also on call and I think we'd call if the first isn't better yet. Ugh the timing. I want the baby out more than I care about timing. All 3 would take great care of him. Can't help but worry!

20. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

Just a reminder that there is a postpartum thread here:

http://boards.hellobee.com/topic/august-2016-postpartum-thread

And/or we do have a FB group. Feel free to PM me if you haven't been added yet and would like to join.

21. coopsmama

cantaloupe / 6059 posts

@Umberto: RRL is soooo good for you for a variety of things and is actually really helpful for recovery after birth, too. You may not see as much benefit as you could have from taking it over a longer period but it will definitely still provide some benefits.

@MrsSCB: I prefer a loose leaf blend because of the amount I drink per day -- 6-8 cups usually. I buy loose leaf red raspberry leaf from Mountain Rose Herbs and blend it with other herbs or I really love this one, too:

22. coopsmama

cantaloupe / 6059 posts

@pregnantbee: Yes, it's worth it and still very beneficial. It also really well help your uterus and bleeding post partum, too, so worth drinking then. I find it really delicious lightly sweetened and iced so it's been enjoyable to drink on hot days!

23. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

For those who are interested, my ob/midwife practice recommends starting evening primrose oil at 36 weeks. Their recommendation is 500mg daily, taken orally from week 36-37, increasing each week by 500mg. They said there is some research to support its use to aid in softening the cervix. They are generally research-based in all their recommendations, which I appreciate.
    Eta: their instructions say not to take more than 2000mg/daily.

24. T.H.O.U.

@Silva: Thanks! I may try this! Off to amazon unless you have a link you suggest.

25. coopsmama

cantaloupe / 6059 posts

@Silva: Do you have a brand you recommend/are using? I've always wondered about EPO but my practice doesn't say anything about it and I've been hesitant to go off of recommendations from some of the forums because the women seem to be taking a LOT. I should try this - I was 4cm dilated for quite awhile last time but was just not effacing which apparently held up labor. This may be helpful - or maybe not - but it feels nice to do something rather than nothing.

26. T.H.O.U.

MRSWHIT1 (Born 7/15) - 0 Months, 14 Days
    July 24: Thismustbetheplace (#2) - 40 w, 1 d
    APRILFOOL (#2 Jack born 7/22 - 0 Months, 3 Days
    July 26: Umberto (#1 ) - 39 w, 6 d
    July 28: TeawithPaloma (#2) - 39 w, 4 d
    dcw6411 (#3 Luke born 7/21 ) - 0 Months, 4 Days
    July 30: pregnantbee (#2 ) - 39 w, 2 d
    Mossyslane (#2 born 7/13) - 0 Months, 12 Days
    AANDMKLOVER (#3 Wes born 7/12) - 0 Months, 13 Days
    August 1: MrsBeluga (#2 ) - 39 w, 0 d
    Coffeemom (#2 born 7/12) - 0 Months, 13 Days
    mrschickpea (#1 Anya born 7/18) - 0 Months, 7 Days
    August 11: silva (#2 ) - 37 w, 4 d
    August 11: coopsmama (#3 ) - 37 w, 4 d
    August 13: glitter (#2 ) - 37 w, 2 d
    August 16: oldpuebloJenn (#2 ) - 36 w, 6 d
    August 16: MrsSCB (#1 ) - 36 w, 6 d
    August 16: T.H.O.U. (#3 ) - 36 w, 6 d
    August 17: KOALAHUGZ (#2 ) - 36 w, 5 d
    August 18: pwnstar (#2 ) - 36 w, 4 d
    August 19: stratosphere (#2 C/S 8/16) - 36 w, 3 d
    August 20: jojogirl (#2 ) - 36 w, 4 d
    August 22: shootingstar (#2 C/S 8/16) - 36 w, 0 d
    August 24: agold (#1 ) - 35 w, 5 d
    August 25: LCTBQE (#1 ) - 35 w, 4 d
    August 28: mrskerch (#1 ) - 35 w, 1 d
    August 29: clairhuxtable (#2 ) - 35 w, 0 d
    August 30: pirouette (#2 ) - 34 w, 6 d

27. T.H.O.U.

@MrsBeluga: How are you feeling?

28. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@T.H.O.U.: @coopsmama: I've just been using NOW brand- from amazon!

I think I tossed the paper that they gave me about it, but just to be clear their recommendations were as follows:
    (Take orally)
    36-37 weeks - 500mg
    37-38 weeks - 1000mg
    38-39 weeks - 1500mg
    39-40 weeks 2000mg
    40 weeks+ 2000mg

They said you can take them all at once or throughout the day, whatever your preference is.

And I agree- feels better to do something than nothing, and according to my practice, anyway, there is some evidence to suggest it can help with softening the cervix in preparation for labor (but won't send you into labor!)

29. OldpuebloJenn

kiwi / 595 posts

@Silva: thanks for that! I knew to start taking it, but didn't know when!

@T.H.O.U.: @coopsmama: also in the vein of doing something- I'm eating 6 dates a day. Here's a link why: http://www.mamanatural.com/dates-during-pregnancy/

I happen to like them, and even though the study linked was small, what's the harm?!

30. MrsKerch

apricot / 256 posts

@OldpuebloJenn: I love dates & any excuse to indulge!

31. coopsmama

cantaloupe / 6059 posts

@OldpuebloJenn: I guess I will give that a go, too! I will drop by the store this morning and pick up some EPO and dates!

32. OldpuebloJenn

kiwi / 595 posts

@MrsKerch: right? I've been making date shakes: https://smittenkitchen.com/2016/04/palm-springs-date-shake-monkey-flip/ and date balls, and just snacking on them. All for the good of the baby! Ha!

33. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@Silva: @coopsmama: Thanks for sharing! At this stage, it feels good to be able to *do* something. Imo, it's sort of like belly oil (and lots of other things during pregnancy) . . . it may not help a bit, but at least I can feel like I gave it my best shot, which makes me feel more like I'm involved in the process (as opposed to feeling like things are just happening to me).

34. MrsKerch

apricot / 256 posts

Ladies, am I losing my mind here or did one of you post a massive freezer meal prep list? I've been looking thru but can't find it. my brain is fried!

35. T.H.O.U.

@MrsKerch: Yes but I can't find it either. @coopsmama: Was it your picture of your list you posted?

36. MrsSCB

pomelo / 5257 posts

@OldpuebloJenn: Yum! I've been making a lot of smoothies for breakfast, and I think I could adapt this recipe. Maybe with plain yogurt in place of the vanilla ice cream (not that I wouldn't welcome ice cream as a breakfast food )

37. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@Silva: What does softening the cervix help do at 36 weeks? Are you sure it won't make the baby come early? Does it help with a less painful delivery?

38. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@agold: I think its the slow increasing of the dose that eventually helps soften your cervix (effacement). I am taking it at the advice of my provider, and I trust that they would not advise something that would send me into premature labor. The wording in the document they gave me was basically "this will NOT induce labor. It simply increases your chance of having the baby closer to the due date."

You should ask your provider about it- my initial googling suggested that it isn't all that effective, and there could be some complications.

I followed my providers instructions for dosage with my first pregnancy and was 50% effaced at my appt 3 days before I went into labor. I also drank 4-6 cups of RRL tea from about 34 weeks on. I went into labor the day before my due date. I had a very, very long labor. I have absolutely no idea what contributed to any of these things, but guess it has more to do with luck than anything else.

39. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@agold: oh, and I don't think it has anything to do with labor hurting less. warm showers and baths were helpful for that. so were the morphine and the epidural

40. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@Silva: Ha! Your comments are great. Thanks for all the info. I will certainly ask about it.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee