Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2016 moms!

1. OldpuebloJenn

kiwi / 595 posts

@pregnantbee: talk to me about your nursing tanks. Where from? I'm a 36dd when not pregnant, and now I'm at least a 38. I have 2-3 from last time that'll work for the first days but I'm not in love with them.

2. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@pregnantbee: @OldpuebloJenn: Thanks I think that I have really benefited from having a few weeks to wrap my head around everything!

@OldpuebloJenn: I've had to work especially hard lately not to let the exhaustion (physical and mental) get the better of me . . . late afternoon/evening is the hardest by far. By late afternoon, the aches and pains are really setting in, my belly feels so hard and so stretched, it seems pretty much impossible to eat without making myself uncomfortable, and there isn't any position that affords 100% relief. And when the baby is super kicky and stretchy-out-y, I just want to cry (and have on several occasions--like last night) because my body just feels so d.o.n.e. And then the next day rolls around, and it's time to do it all over again. I'm still working FT, although the pace has decreased quite a bit as my cases/projects are handed out to others, but I still have a few big things going on that I just don't have the mental/emotional bandwidth for. And then there's not wanting to short my LO out on any time that I have left with just the two of us.

3. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@pwnstar: I feel you on the uncomfortableness that sets in late afternoon. I feel the exact same way, with my stomach getting tight and it being really hard to eat any food. My baby also seems to play with my organs and it just feels weird. But I'm still not ready for this baby girl to make her appearance!

4. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@OldpuebloJenn: The ones I have are just the Gillian O from Target. Some happened to be hand-me downs. I don't think I could wear them out and about without wearing a more supportive bra, but they are great for the hospital and for being around the house. And I always wear one as pjs bc they give easy nursing access and also a place for breast pads to go if you leak. I'm of similar size so that's what works for me. There are nicer tanks by Bravado but even in the larger sizes, I found them to be too revealing, even though they are more supportive for a larger chest.

5. MrsSCB

pomelo / 5257 posts

@pregnantbee: @OldpuebloJenn: I just bought one of the Gillian O nursing bras yesterday -- it is super comfy! I only got one, because I'm guessing I may want a different size once the baby comes out and milk comes in...but I wanted at least one for the hospital.

6. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@agold: It's really irritating . . . I will sit down on the couch for a few minutes feeling just fine, and then the next time I get up to get something, my low back and hips brutally remind me that they have had quite enough for the day. I hate that I can't really predict when it's going to happen, and that even though it's happened multiple times before, sometimes the pain (and sudden onset) literally take my breath away for a few seconds.

7. MrsSCB

pomelo / 5257 posts

Carseat question -- if you have two cars, are you buying (or did you buy for non-FTMs) a second carseat base so there's one in each? Seems like that would be easier than switching the base and carseat all the time?

8. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@MrsSCB: Yes, we are buying one car seat and an extra car seat base. My husband and I will have the baby equal amount of days throughout the week so this makes the most sense to us.

9. MrsSCB

pomelo / 5257 posts

@agold: That makes sense. I'll probably be doing the majority of dropoff and pickup because the daycare is closer to my work, but I'm thinking if something comes up, like a meeting runs late or whatever, and DH has to get him, it would be way easier to have the extra.

10. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@MrsSCB: I was initially thinking that we wouldn't need an extra base because installing the base with the LATCH system should be so easy. But someone told me its not SUPER easy so I'd prefer to get the bases installed correctly one time and not have to deal with it again and again. ETA: The extra base is just $120ish for me so in the scheme of all things I"m already buying, its not too incredibly much.

11. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

No, we are only having one base and one car seat. We will leave the base in my car full time and install just the seat with the seat belt in an emergency/as needed basis. Plus, we already have an extra convertible that around 3-4 months we will install in DH car. That way when i'm back at work, I just keep the infant seat (and base) in my car, but if he needs to get the baby I dont have to plan ahead and leave the seat at daycare.

12. T.H.O.U.

@agold: Eeeek $120 for an extra base seems like A LOT. Especially when you'll use it maybe a handful of times within 3-4 months? Technically you could go ahead and put that money towards a convertible seat and not just a base!

13. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@T.H.O.U.: Oh, darn it. You think that is a lot? I just assume everything for baby is so expensive. So my husband will be watching the baby on Thursdays and Fridays. And maybe after 3 pm on Wednesdays. And when he and I are together, we almost always use his car. So that's why we are thinking we will use the extra base a ton in his car. And won't the babies be staying in their infant car seats for a year or so?

14. T.H.O.U.

@agold: Most babies outgrow the infant seat well before a year. Mostly just because they become too heavy to really cary around.

Its just one of those things for us, it made sense to go ahead and put that money towards an actual second car seat that will be used for years afterwards (and we have to have 2 convertibles because they dont move easily at all).

Look at your infant seat, there is a good chance you can do a regular seat belt install without the base if needed.

15. CoffeeMom

cherry / 239 posts

@Glitter: Congratulations!!

16. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@T.H.O.U.: Interesting. I will certainly take that into consideration since we aren't buying the second base until next week.

17. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@agold: we liked having the extra base, but we were given it. My daughter was in her infant seat until about 10 months.

18. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@Silva: So 10 months seems like a long time to me. We will probably proceed with getting the extra base. For as much as I'm spending on other thing's this just doesn't seem like something I want to skip since I'm not feeling too comfortable about the seat belt install.

19. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@MrsSCB: We bought 1 infant car seat and 2 bases because we share daycare drop and pick and it's so much easier to clip the seat into the base rather than install every time.

20. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@pregnantbee: @agold: We did the same. We have one infant seat and 2 bases (we typically split drop off/pickup).

21. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@pwnstar: @agold: We also used the bucket seat until maybe 10-11 months? So I think it was worth it especially for the frequency and even distribution of daycare duties.

22. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@pregnantbee: We did too. I also kept the stroller frame in the car (we have a B-Ready and the seat just snaps right in) for longer treks/when LO was a little bigger.

23. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@pwnstar: Yes, we also have a stroller frame. Got the Chicco one to go with the car seat. Liked it so much better than the idea of a huge travel system. We'll be using it again this time around.

24. OldpuebloJenn

kiwi / 595 posts

@agold: my DD didn't outgrow her infant seat until 13mo. She was a porker, but short.

25. Periwinkle

pear / 1879 posts

Just popping in as a lurker from the September 2016 board to say "happy birth month"! I just read through the last few pages here and am so excited for those of you whose babies have arrived (congratulations!) and for those who are due so shortly. Wishing you all the best!

26. T.H.O.U.

@Periwinkle: thanks!

So I read back through old posts. Looks like even last time I had BH for the last two weeks or so about every 40 min. Which is about what I have now. But nothing ever progressed last time so again I think I just need to wait for induction.

27. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@Periwinkle: Thank you! You're the best!

28. Periwinkle

pear / 1879 posts

@pregnantbee:

29. coopsmama

cantaloupe / 6059 posts

@T.H.O.U.: Agreed. My kids have both outgrown the infant car seat by 5 and 6 months but I have big babies. Just as another viewpoint, @agold:

@Periwinkle: Thank you so much! I know I will be following along your labor threads with much interest to see when the September babies arrive as well!

@T.H.O.U.: Well, you never know! You could get lucky!

30. MrsBeluga

apricot / 442 posts

We ended up putting LO in a convertible around 5 months, she was tiny but she hated her bucket seat (so so so much crying). We switched her to a Clek and car rides were so much easier (no tears).

We have two infant bases, the second we snagged for $15 on a local mom FB board, so was easy to justify buying.

31. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@MrsBeluga: wow, comfortable seat after just 5 months! The clek is one I'm interested in, too. Pricey so I hope I'm not needing it in 5 months! 😳

So I had my third trimester ultrasound today. Baby girl is head down and 6.5 pounds already!

I went by target afterwards and bought a Gilligan & Omalley nursing tank. I have a quick question: once you let down the front part of the nursing tank, there is a remaining piece of fabric that keeps the tank top connected to the straps. Is that little piece of connector cloth supposed to cover your nipple????? It goes to the left of mine, so I'm wondering if that means I need a bigger size.

Also... I bought a nighttime nursing bra. I'm wearing it now. I want to live in it, I love it so much! ❤

32. OldpuebloJenn

kiwi / 595 posts

@agold: that little connector piece, I believe, should go on the outside of your breast. At least that's how I've always worn them!
    A good night time bra is amazing!

33. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@agold: Yay for a great appointment and for being head down! Those connector pieces are supposed to go along the outside of your breasts and not cover the nipples. That way you can breastfeed without fabric in your way once you clip down. I remember feeling so awkward the first time I ever tried one on! That's also typically how clip-down nursing bras work.

34. LCTBQE

nectarine / 2461 posts

@agold: sounds like a great appointment! I hope this puts all your fears to rest about carrying small, it sounds like she's doing great. it's so funny that as first-timers we have all the same tiny/ridiculous questions--I remember a while back also spending too long trying to decide whether or not to go ahead and put a sheet crib on, knowing that it would get dusty without use for 4 months. (I did it for staging, fuckit, I'll re-wash when he graduates from the rock n play). anyway I hate that little piece of nursing tank fabric, it feels so loose and extraneous. I cut them out of one of mine as an experiment to see if it's really so bad to reach back for the main strap and what is the point of a night nursing bra, is it for support, or to hold pads in place for leaking or what--anyone? if your boobs aren't hee-huuuge, do you really need one?

35. LCTBQE

nectarine / 2461 posts

@Glitter: just catching up, what a gorgeous baby!! congratulations

@pregnantbee: your list on the last page is wonderful, thanks! going to edit my bag accordingly tonight (and go snack shopping).

@pwnstar: sounds like your plan is starting to gel, and glad your babe is still doing great, breech or not I just realized you're almost 38w now! so hopefully they can get you in sooner rather than later--keep us posted on the date.

ps, are nipple shields the kind of thing the hospital has in stock? your phrasing "torn up" literally made me shiver. lolz?

36. LCTBQE

nectarine / 2461 posts

@MrsSCB: @agold: oh dudes, I'm the opposite regarding work stress--getting to be on island time in my head. not yet in full-on IDGAF mode, but it's seeping in around the edges. maybe we can balance each other out! @MrsSCB I hope you're not still worried about that one climber biatch you oversee clawing for your responsibilities--when you get back from mat leave you'll be a power mama and squish her if you need to

37. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@LCTBQE: I'd definitely get one or two comfortable "night bras." I didn't want to deal with real bras at first, and the nice thing about nighttime ones is they are very soft and you just move the cup over. Anything soft and with a low v neck would work. I just got some from Amazon after reading reviews, I like the ones I have that are like a terry material (they don't feel like a towel, but thicker than just a layer of cotton). I needed to wear pads at night for a long time or I would have leaked everywhere. I still did, sometimes. Lactation is crazy.
    And for what it's worth, I was so nervous about breastfeeding last time because it was really important to me...and it ended up being one of the easiest Things, even from the get go. My nipples were a little sensitive at first. But I had good luck with earth mama angel baby and mama love nipple creams, and it went away fast.

Eta: card carrying member of the IBTC although last time I got up to a 34D when my milk came in. Normally I don't even wear cup-sized bras, just stretchy bralettes, but I think I'm typically a 34A? Anyway, nighttime nursing bras are awesome and if you don't need a lot of support, you might be like me and wear them whenever you can!

38. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@LCTBQE: Glad the list is helpful. I'm now eating those hospital snacks when I get hungry during nursing. I need lots of support for my chest but still didn't bother with night nursing bras. I just do the nursing camis which work great for me.

39. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@LCTBQE: Night bras were essential to me because of the leaking. For a really long time every time I nursed one side, I leaked a lot out of the other. Not everyone has that happen, but it's pretty common.

40. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@MrsBeluga: @agold: We replaced LO's infant seat with two Clek Foonfs . . . I seriously love that car seat!

LCTBQE: Nursing bras . . . *augh.* I didn't ever really find a nursing tank or bra that I really loved. I have one Medela sleep bra which is pretty comfy, and several Coobie bras (I am typically a 32D, and after the initial engorgement went down, I was a little bigger than my normal size, but not too much). I will probably wear the Coobies the most! I was lucky to never have any issues with leaks, but it is really nice to have a soft stretchy comfy bra that you don't mind sleeping in that gives at least a little support and can hold nursing pads if you need them. And you will definitely want several . . . one to wear, one as a back-up (in case you get spit up on . . . or worse!), and one in the wash. It's important to keep your bras as clean as you can, so that you can hopefully minimize the risk of getting thrush. I did all that and still got thrush (a few weeks before I went back to work, so I had to toss my entire freezer stash and didn't have time to replenish it (because it can take a while to clear up thrush).

Nipple shields. Lolz. The sexxxiness of motherhood knows no bounds . . . amIrite?! I am not sure if the hospital stocked nipple shields, because the awful LC on staff never recommended one (and I really really needed one). It wasn't until DH called a LC to do an in-home consult that I tried one for the first time . . . it was a tremendous help in allowing my nipples to heal while still being able to BF my LO. My issue was a shallow latch, and because I didn't know it was shallow, a lot of damage was done in a short time. So this time, I am bringing a shield with me, just in case. And some lanolin/nipple cream, which I also didn't have last time (and wasn't offered to me in the hospital . . . I digress). I am delivering at a different hospital this time. Not because of the LC . . . but I seriously have no kind words for that woman! The in-home LC, however, saved my sanity and was the sole reason I was able to continue BFing. A good LC is worth their weight in Californium.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee