Login/Register

December 2014 Moms (and their kids)

1. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

Essential oils?! Anyone use?
    Really looking into it!

2. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@FaithFertility: we do, but not faithfully. I use some of the plant therapy roll ons for the girls.

3. KayKay

pear / 1961 posts

@faithfertility: nah, i'm not big on many homeopathic sorts of things. i do like the smell of some of them, so i would use them for that. but not because i think they cure/resolve anything

4. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@MamaG: I was given a few roll ons and a small plug in thing, I can't smell it though!
    I think it is called Plant therapy brand? Has some sinus stuff for G!
    We are all home sick today colds all around, no fun!

@KayKay: Yeah, I think I want to try, as G's sinuses are awful, minute the weather changes she is all stuffy and such, but this time it is a cold we all have it

5. josina

pomegranate / 3973 posts

@FaithFertility: I've never used it, but I know people who do that 100% believe it works. My neighbor has used it for her son's colds and swears it makes them clear up faster. I can't remember what scent she used though.
    We just stick with baby vicks. Hope your colds clear up fast, we're just getting over ours.

6. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@josina: Thanks, it's not fun! Hit us all hard!
    Yeah, G has a vicks vaporizer in her room that helps I think?

7. winniebee

hostess / wonderful grape / 20803 posts

@FaithFertility: I put eucalyptus oil in the humidifier (smells minty!) I don't really believe in it, but figure that particular one can't hurt.

8. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@winniebee: That is a thought, you just add a drop into the water?

9. winniebee

@FaithFertility: yeah just a few drops. it smells nice!

10. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@winniebee: I have a blend I might try
    that and sandal wood

11. snowjewelz

wonderful kiwi / 23653 posts

@FaithFertility: Yes... Love them from the kid safe line from Plant Therapy. I've used them for sooo long. Nighty Night for Kara at night, and Sniffle Stopper when she's sick. Daily I alternate the diluted roll-on's - Germ Destroyer and Immume Boost on her. Oh and I also have tea tree oil that I diffuse after major sickness all over the house to disinfect!

ETA: I don't count on them but I do think they help a lot.

12. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@FaithFertility: Our arsenal of "stay healthy" includes the following for K:

1) Daily allergy meds (Claritin or Zyrtec) taken at dinner time
    2) Vitamins daily (Zarbees Elderberry Immune Support, I buy the adult kind and give her one - adult dose is 3, Lil Critters Immune C (2 of them), and she takes the Kirkland brand daily multivitamin (1)- so that's 4 vitamins every morning).
    3) We use Vicks on her feet/chest at night if she's congested. We just use regular Vicks.
    4) We run a humidifier in her room.

I will use the sniffle stopper and immune boom roll ons from Plant Therapy as well.

13. snowjewelz

@MamaG: Oo, I've been buying the kids elderberry ones... I'm sure adult is cheaper too!

14. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@MamaG: G takes a Zarbee vitamin daily too!
    Sounds like germs don't stand a chance I'm your house!

Also if any of you have family super close what would your expectations be with help! My mom is a SAHM to a 15yr old she knows both kids are sick and never offered to watch them, I mean I know all day with 2 kids sick is a lot but even knowing now I am home sick with them also never asks if I need any help?!

I know she probably doesn't want to get sick but?!?! Man!

15. josina

pomegranate / 3973 posts

@FaithFertility: Well, my MIL lives right next door and I can't see her ever offering to help, other than maybe coming to get older one and taking him outside for a bit. If they're sick though she'd probably stay away - if she did watch them she'd be calling me non-stop anyways freaking out about this or that, she's a tad paranoid.
    I know now with DS and DD she probably won't be watching both of them anytime soon.

16. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@josina: Yeah MIL I can get but I have problems with it being my mom! She wants to always do the "fun" Grandma stuff but never helps or watches them even when healthy, but then wants to take DD 2hrs away.....ummmm

There is huge background stuff where she has medical/mental issues so I feel like if she can't watch her for 2 hrs at home how can you handle 2hrs away?!? But she doesn't get that!

Sorry to complain but it's days like today where I get reminded even with family close by we have no help

17. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@FaithFertility: My DH has an incredibly inflexible job, so all sickness crap falls to me first. My position is higher profile and I've been "mommy-tracked" since having my girls and I'm trying to change my professional image. I hate having to call in sick for the kids. So I try my best to keep the kids healthy (even if it means pumping them full of meds!)

Sorry about the lack of help. We don't have anyone that can help within 4 hours. I think I'd really struggle if I were in your shoes.

18. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@MamaG: it's hard because I really didn't expect it ya know?!

19. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@MamaG: So hard having kids and working is not fun, thankfully DH and I have jobs where we can gain leave as we go and he can always work OT
    He Will be calling out for tomorrow

20. winniebee

@FaithFertility: Sorry you are all sick! Our family lives 1.5 hours away so we don't have the option of "drop in" type help from grandparents. I think for a cold, I would be frustrated if no one offered to help....tummy issues....I can understand people staying far away! My mom watched the boys for the weekend and ended up with the tummy bug, solo parenting my kids (my dad was on a golf trip!) I felt sooo bad!!

21. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@winniebee: ohhh man yeah tummy is no joke!!!

It is hard becAuse people know are family is literally minutminutes away so we get the Where is Grandma care sometimes from others?!
    MIL is 62 but WFT

22. winniebee

@FaithFertility: 62 is young! My mom is 66 and has more stamina than I do, seriously. Asking to come by for a few hours would go a long way!

23. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@winniebee: I hear you when MIL does have time she will watch them both for sure, but that time is rare she works like 3 jobs...poor lady!

I think that's why I get so sour with my mom she is 53 doesn't work and well could offer and doesn't only thing she will offer is unwanted advice of telling me, well mom's don't get a free day it's hard I had 4...blah blah blah!

24. Miss Ariel

nectarine / 2210 posts

Speaking of sick days I'm actually home with K today. She came down with a stomach bug yesterday, woke up at 1 with poop, and had an awful diaper rash this morning. Since dh teaches it's a lot harder for him to take sick days. But he is able to do scheduled dr visits and there have been times when sick days happen when he's off. Plus they have similar school closings or holiday schedules.

As for help my mil helps a lot, although she helps my sil more. For example, Last Friday when I stayed home with J who had ear infections she was willing to drive out to our house to get K and bring her to daycare. I do know she picks my niece and nephew up once or twice a week and brings them to their activities.

25. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@Miss Ariel: yes, teaching sucks when you need a day off, sub plans...etc....
    I am lucky DH always has 2-3 days off during the week but of course they fell in his days....lol
    We will be calling in for tomorrow!
    I think he already told his LT!
    Hope K gets better!

26. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

Both my parents still work, so they wouldn't offer to help if the kids were sick or anything because they can't. Even on the weekend, they wouldn't want to get sick themselves and then have to miss work. I don't really expect them to help out when my kids are sick though. And I wouldn't want them to get sick anyway!

BUT being sick and taking care of sick kids is the WORST! Hope you all feel better soon, @FaithFertility: !!

27. winniebee

@Miss Ariel: Aw man I'm sorry! I hope everyone else doesn't get it. That's good that you guys have a balance to sick days and appts. It's all on me, which is why I have to have a flexible work situation!

28. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

Thanks for listening guys! 😊

29. Adira

I just have to vent about my in-laws because they are the worst.

So I recently got into a tiff (via e-mail) with SMIL about her comments about my kids and she basically was all "I won't comment about your kids anymore" even though that isn't at all what I was saying.

ANYWAY, Logan was just in the hospital for four days because of his asthma and even though I texted and e-mailed her and FIL throughout his stay, they never reached out to us to check on him. I get that she's still mad about our tiff, but it just seems really petty to not care about the well-being of your grandson just because you don't get along with his mom, right???

30. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@Adira: right?! Hope Logan is doing better!

31. Adira

@FaithFertility: Thanks! He's all good now and on an asthma control medication so hopefully he doesn't have to be hospitalized again. Just shocked (and mad) that my in-laws are allowing their petty grievances against me affect their caring for their grandson!

32. AngelicOne

persimmon / 1050 posts

@FaithFertility: Hope everyone feels better soon! We have no local family and no local friends that would watch M. We just always have to hope that we stagger the sickness so DH & I aren't sick at the same time. I'm sure if our moms were closer, they'd both watch M, but they are 1700 & 2100 miles away .

33. KayKay

pear / 1961 posts

@adira: ugh - I'm sorry! It sounds like you guys generally have a tough relationship

@faithfertility: regarding your mom, that's maybe even worse than not actually having help nearby! you feel like it SHOULD be useful/helpful, particularly in these sorts of situation, to have her close. our family is all 12h away, so we rely on paid help or me suffering through and calling DH sobbing asking him to come home as soon as he can! haha. even when our families visit, it's super clear that my parents and DH's parents "help" in totally different ways. his mom helps in the much more traditional sense (entertains the kids for hours, gets herself ready super early so that she can watch them or do whatever we need, etc), and i always have to remind myself of how my mom is helping when she visits, even though it's in different and/or less obvious ways.

34. MrsF

honeydew / 7283 posts

@Miss Ariel: @FaithFertility: Sorry you guys are dealing with sickness Both of my kids have colds right now, but nothing too terrible. We're having a beautiful day today so I'm trying to air things out!

@Adira: Poor Logan! And that's insane that she never reached out to you She always sounds so difficult. I'm sorry.

35. MrsF

honeydew / 7283 posts

We haven't done any potty training but J does like to pee on the toilet before nap & bed. The past few days though, he's been freaking out and yelling "I'm pooping!" and urgently wanting to go to the potty frequently, especially when we're in public (see recent hibachi incident ). I think he's probably just peeing but I don't think I can really discourage it at this point? I might at least go to pull ups. My belly is getting so big (31 weeks!) and getting him out of and then back into the diaper in public bathrooms is getting pretty gross and uncomfortable (in that I'm on the grocery store bathroom floor having to use my hands to get myself back up again because I'm enormous). Yuck.

How cheap am I for resisting pull ups only because we have a million size 5 diapers? Oy.

36. snowjewelz

@FaithFertility: I'm so sorry! My mom's 61 turning 62 and they literally moved closer to us just so they can be more helpful. Currently my mom is at my house every single day with K2. Friday's she is there from 8:30am till 8:30pm to help put K1 to sleep when I put K2 to sleep b/c we have small group that DH leads at home. We would've lived closer to my in-laws if I didn't have my mom!

37. snowjewelz

@MrsF: I feel you! I sooo didn't want to buy pull up's. For a while I was just bringing pull ups to school to finish up diapers at home but she does go at home randomly so she's just in pull ups full time now. I hope she can do it this summer b/c I really don't feel like potty training in the winter....

38. KayKay

pear / 1961 posts

@mrsf: ha - totally a valid reason to put it off! but also, E was doing the same thing where i felt like i had all of the downside of potty training (constant taking to potty & having to help her with diapers) and none of the upside (eventual learning & no diapers!). we travelled this weekend and didn't even do any pull-ups on the planes or car or anything...and have been just doing underwear for naps too. and then she had 3 accidents once we got home yesterday i swear it's just because she knows it bugs us! haha #twoyearolds

39. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

Potty training! K stands very still when she has to poop. I will ask her if she's pooping. She will nod yes. I ask if she wants to go to the potty, she shakes her head no. She's going to go to college wearing diapers.

40. snowjewelz

@Adira: Ugh with that and allergies you would think they have more compassion and understanding for all of you!~

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee