Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

December 2014 Moms!

1. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

Have you guys thought about what you're planning on doing for Christmas (if you celebrate it)? We normally travel to either my parents or the in-laws to have Christmas with them, but I'm thinking with a newborn, I won't really want to do that... Curious what other people are thinking.

2. BandDmommy

pomelo / 5660 posts

@Adira: we are planning on celebrating at home. I don't like traveling around Christmas especially with a 2 year old.

3. Adira

@BandDmommy: Are you inviting any family over (or do you usually)? Curious if you're doing something different this year specifically because of the baby, or doing the same thing you did last year.

4. BandDmommy

pomelo / 5660 posts

@Adira: last year my parents came and we begrudgingly traveled to ATL to visit ILs. We did not want to travel last year. Long road trips with a toddler are rough.

5. Adira

The next person that acts shocked that I'm due in December is getting punched in the face. I know I look huge. You don't need to keep pointing it out to me! (Where's the rage emoticon when you need it?)

6. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

@Adira: the next person who says "whoa, you really popped"- is going to get popped with my fist in their face!

7. Adira

@cheert16: haha, also the next person to ask if it's twins is getting kicked in the shin.

8. josina

pomegranate / 3973 posts

@Adira: Luckily all our family's are within an hour drive, (and baby should be 4 weeks by then) so no worries about Christmas, although I have some conflicts around my due date! My step daughter is receiving her first reconcilliation the day after, and has her first band concert the following Sunday... something I would hate to miss, but don't really want to bring a NEW baby to either!

9. Adira

@josina: Eeeeh, yeah, I'm not sure I'd bring a new baby to those things either! I wouldn't want to miss them, but I also wouldn't want to expose a newborn to all those people (plus you may just not feel up to it).

10. whenoceansrise

nectarine / 2053 posts

@Adira: it really just depends on when baby comes because my due date is so close to christmas. we could all be celebrating christmas together at the hospital!

11. Adira

@whenoceansrise: haha, if this baby is late, they'll probably be inducing me right around Christmas day too!!

12. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

@Adira: I am basically planning on this baby being late since lil B was 2 weeks late and they had to induce me! That brings us right around Christmas- so I am just hoping to not be in the hospital for the holiday. I think most of our family is prepared that we wont really be around for the holidays too- or if they want to see us they will have to come to us!

13. whenoceansrise

nectarine / 2053 posts

@Adira: I kind of hope baby comes a little bit early!

14. winniebee

hostess / wonderful grape / 20803 posts

I'm not exactly sure what we will do for Christmas. My due date is 12/21 so while I went 10 days early with T, in theory I could be in the hospital having the baby at Christmas! Our family is all 1.5 hours away so we wouldn't be traveling far or anything it's just a matter of what we do for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. My husband has said multiple times that he wants Christmas at home. I'm just worried about crushing my parents - we lived cross country last year and I know they have visions of a house full of all the kids and grand kids this year.

15. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

We don't live close to our families and my husband can't get time off during the holidays, so we will do what we always do, spend Christmas at home. Everyone is always welcome to travel to us. My parents already have their airfare purchased. Some of my IL's might come as well and I fully expect my sister too. It's going to be a very packed house with a 6 week old. I can't say that I really look forward to it

It wouldn't be so bad for a day, but we are looking at more like a week!

16. Adira

@MamaG: Yikes, a week??? I wouldn't like that at all!

17. allison

pear / 1895 posts

I think we'll probably just skip Christmas this year. I'm not too keen on the holiday anyway. I'm due on Christmas Day, but will probably go over, most likely into January. So I think family will wait until the baby is born to visit (in waves, so we're not overwhelmed by visitors). I live across the country from my family and my husband's family, though, so it's a little easier to avoid all the busyness of the holidays.

18. BandDmommy

pomelo / 5660 posts

@Adira: my MIL has visited for 2.5 weeks in June and so combing back in October for another 2.5 weeks. It sucks having visitors for so long

19. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

We are planning on having my family and his over for Christmas dinner since my mom will be with us from the 23-30 so she wants to cook, which is ok with me I said during the day our family can come and go as they please......really not a huge deal since everyone is so close.......I hope she is here/home by then!!!

20. AngelicOne

persimmon / 1050 posts

@Adira: All of our families live far away, so it's usually just us. My mom will be visiting the beginning of the month, around my due date and DH's mom & dad want to come a week or two later, but we'll see if that actually happens or not.

21. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@winniebee: That is hard.......well maybe this one Christmas since LO will be so little they can come to you one last time!

22. MrsScallop

persimmon / 1328 posts

We typically go visit family for Christmas, but this year family will have to come to us if they want to see us. I am trying to think of ways to keep the holidays festive even though we will probably be hanging out in the hospital quite a bit. Honestly, thinking about the holidays stresses me out right now!

23. winniebee

hostess / wonderful grape / 20803 posts

@FaithFertility: I doubt my whole family could come. I have 2 brothers one of which will have a newborn and my sister had 3 kids so it's a lot to ask of everyone. My husbands family likely would come if we ask....

24. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@winniebee: yeah it is hard, even when family is close it gets hard witb siblings and there SO and IL.......

25. MrsF

honeydew / 7283 posts

@Adira: I'm assuming we will go to my parents' house for Christmas (about 45 minutes away), but now that I'm thinking about it even that seems like a lot with a brand new baby and a toddler! Also, M was 4 weeks early, so I feel like we'll just have to wait and see how old this baby is by the time the holiday comes around.

26. MrsF

honeydew / 7283 posts

@BandDmommy: Wow. That's a lot of MIL (at least it would be with mine!).

27. Adira

@MrsF: Yeah, the age can make a huge difference! When Xander was less than 3 weeks, he was eating every 2 hours, and each feeding felt like it took an hour, so it would've been impossible for us to go anywhere too far away! By the time he was 4 weeks though, he was eating every 3 hours, so a drive to my in-laws (1.5 hours) was more manageable!

I think we're planning on staying home, because this baby would have to come 2+ weeks early in order for me to feel comfortable going out, which I'm hoping doesn't happen! My in-laws are hosting Christmas this year, so I basically just invited them all over with the stipulation that I'll probably be nursing around the clock and we won't have any food, haha. We'll see what happens!

28. BandDmommy

pomelo / 5660 posts

@MrsF: yes, it is!! And I'm a SAHM so it's 24/7.

@Adira: things better with the ILs?

29. Adira

@BandDmommy: Umm... I wouldn't say better... haha. I think we're both ignoring all the tension and issues and pretending they don't exist while both being passive aggressive towards each other!!

30. MrsF

honeydew / 7283 posts

@Adira: definitely. Even just a week could make a huge difference in newborn time. On the other hand, having an even slightly preterm baby makes things more difficult and the feedings even more frequent. We'll see!

31. MrsF

honeydew / 7283 posts

@BandDmommy: I literally can't imagine.

32. Adira

@MrsF: Ugh, yes, I hope he doesn't come before term. I give him permission to show up anytime between 38 and 42 weeks, but even if he comes right at 38 weeks, he'll be 4 weeks at Christmas and I still won't want to travel!

33. theotherstark

pomegranate / 3045 posts

We live across the country from both my family and my ILs. This is the first grandkid on both sides, so my family and his family are coming out for Christmas this year. They're renting a place here so they don't stay with us, but it will be nice since we'll all be able to be together for the holiday. I know none of them wanted to miss an opportunity to spend Christmas with their first grandkid I'm sure it will be exhausting having everyone here, but at least they're not physically staying with us.

34. Adira

@theotherstark: That's awesome! It's great that both your family and DH's family can get along to hang out for Christmas AND it's great they aren't actually staying with you guys! I hope you all have fun!

35. whenoceansrise

nectarine / 2053 posts

Maternity photos are officially scheduled for 11-7. I'll be 33 weeks and 4 days. Now it's time to find the perfect outfit!

Anyone know what the difference between a maternity maxi dress and a regular one?

36. cheert16

nectarine / 2631 posts

@whenoceansrise: they are just baggier in the stomach area. You might want to try a regular maxi dress first because during maternity photos you want to chow off the bump- not camouflage it!

37. theotherstark

pomegranate / 3045 posts

@Adira: It should be a good time! I'm hoping it isn't too overwhelming/exhausting with so many people here. At least they'll be helping

@whenoceansrise: Fun!! I imagine you can probably just use a regular maxi dress, since they're pretty flowy anyway.

38. whenoceansrise

nectarine / 2053 posts

@cheert16: @theotherstark: Thanks! There are way more options for regular maxi dresses anyway!

39. BandDmommy

pomelo / 5660 posts

@whenoceansrise: I wear regular maxi dresses and they work fine for me.

Who all is having a baby shower? If so, when is it? I'm not since it's my 2nd.

40. Adira

@BandDmommy: I'm not either since it's also my second.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee