1/25: Bushelandapeck (#3 )
    2/4: Ladydi (#2 )
    2/5: Honeydew (#2 )
    2/6: DCrumlish29 (#2)
    2/8: JJ2626 (#1)
    2/9: Meowkers (#2 )
    2/8: Illumina (#2)
    2/13: skiierchck99 (#1 )
    2/14: Tionn3 (#1 ), Drea1016 (#2), Tosun (#3 )
    2/15: Lazypanda (#2 )
    2/18: Theotherstark (#2 ), beachlilly (#1 )
    2/19: dominobee (#1 & 2 ), skate13 (#1)
    2/20: DesertDreams88 (#2 )
    2/22: jodyblair (#3 )
    2/23: magnoliamama42 (#2), GooseBee (#2)
    2/25: MaryM ( )
    2/26: Freelikewater (#1)
    2/27: CatchAFallingStar (#2 ), petitenoisette (#2 )
    2/28: Ergggg (#2)
    3/5: Patty86 (#2 )

Appointments

11/13: dominobee (midwife and glucose test)
    11/14: Bushelandapeck
    11/20: MaryM (glucose)
    11/22: Tosun (glucose), DesertDreams88 (glucose)
    11/27: dominobee
    11/30: theotherstark, CatchAFallingStar (glucose)
    12/6: petitenoisette (glucose)
    12/28: CatchAFallingStar (growth us)

2. theotherstark

pomegranate / 3045 posts

Found out that I passed my glucose test, and my iron was in range as well. Woohoo! What a relief.

3. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@dominobee: good luck at your appointment today!

@theotherstark: glad you passed the test! Such a relief!

Feeling very big today and can't believe I still have so many weeks left (not that I want to go early). Looked around for a dresser this week but didn't find anything we like. I think we are going to check a few consignment shops and then just buy something from Wayfair or Overstock if we can't find anything we like. I'd love to get the clothes washed and put away sometime in early Dec, just so I can' stop thinking about it. I'm also hoping to find our other large ticket needs (video monitor, sound machine) with black Friday/cyber Monday sales. My local mom friends threw me a sprinkle last weekend so we are all set with 0-3 months clothes.

Anyone have a baby shower coming up??

4. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@bushelandapeck: I actually decided to wait on my glucose test until Friday. It doesn't require an appointment so I can do it whenever is convenient. My boss is out today and since I'm middle management I didn't want to be in late, just in case anyone needed anything. Also yesterday I was at a party and ate a ton of sweets and carbs, so I want to try to be a little more disciplined leading up to the test.

My baby shower is on Sun. 12/10. This one is thrown by my friend and mother-in-law in the town I live in. My sisters had said months ago that they were going to throw one for family in my hometown but so far have not brought it up. We are running out of weekends to do it because I'm not leaving town after 32 weeks since twins often come early. I'm a little annoyed but also trying not to be selfish about it. But it does hurt my feelings a little. Literally the only weekends left are this weekend, Thanksgiving, and Dec. 2-3 or 16-17. So at this point it seems like it's not going to happen.

5. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@dominobee: good thinking on postponing the test! I probably should've been more careful with what I ate the weekend before my test.

I hope the shower on 12/10 goes well! Do you think you could mention to your sisters that it might make sense for them to just come to that one at this point, given the timing and waiting to stay close after 32 weeks? I have no idea if my mom is planning anything, though I imagine she probably isn't, given that she hasn't mentioned it to me at all. Totally fine by me, but I would've been upset if she and my sister hadn't done something for my first. I hope they pull it together for you!

6. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@bushelandapeck: They are both invited to the party in my town, as is my mom. But I just don't get it... when I told my family in July that I was pregnant they immediately said they wanted to throw me a shower. And later on they were talking about the weekend of Thanksgiving since I'd be in town anyway. A few weeks ago I asked my mom what was up because I hadn't heard anything. And she said Thanksgiving won't work for people because it's too busy. And that she was sure my sisters would do something but they'd just been wrapped up in their own lives. I feel like at this point they could just say something to me, that they aren't throwing me a baby shower. Rather than me sitting here wondering but feeling awkward bringing it up because I don't want to act like I'm entitled to one in my hometown. But it was their idea in the first place, so I'm just confused.

I also have a lot of family in my hometown and I'm sure they are expecting to be invited to something... but I'm not going to invite them all to drive 4 hours to where I live. Plus I'm going to be squeezing enough people into my house as it is. Plus, how do you send your registry to people if they're not invited to a baby shower? Since it's our first - and it's twins - we need soooo much stuff. We can't afford to get everything we need without help from our family.

7. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@dominobee: that IS annoying. 4 hours is no small drive for people. Makes sense that you would have it where you are already planning on being there. I would actually think it would be better for people to get together around Thanksgiving since a lot of people will be gathering anyway. And yeah, they should totally find the time to bring it up to you, and not the other way around!

As for the registry...I guess I would probably wait and see if you end up having another shower but then email the links to those who are asking? Most registry's are pretty easy to find online these days, but I'm sure some would like to go in person and pick something out.

8. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@bushelandapeck: When she says Thanksgiving weekend is too busy that is her saying she and my sisters want to spend that weekend shopping.

9. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@bushelandapeck: This is so silly, I'm literally sitting here at work fighting back tears because I just feel like my sisters don't really have an interest in my pregnancy or seem excited for me at all. One of them has not called or texted to check in on me once. The other one I haven't heard from in weeks. I'm sure part of this is pregnancy hormones but it just makes me feel so shitty!

I drafted a text to my mom to ask her if she thinks I'm even having an Ohio shower, since there are realistically only two weekends left that would work. But I probably shouldn't send that text while I'm at work because the conversation will probably just be really distracting for me. I might call her later to tell her how I'm feeling - but I also don't want a shower strictly because I'm upset. I want my sisters to WANT to throw me something, if that makes sense.

10. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@dominobee: ugh. I totally get why it's upsetting to you! My sister has 5 kids and we celebrated each and every one of them (including a set of twins) and I didn't have any children until the last two were born. I think talking to your mom makes sense, even if you just try to stay neutral and let her know that realistically there are only two weekends left that work for you and that it's fine if it doesn't work out (even if it really isn't) but that you wanted to let her know you won't be travelling after that.

11. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@bushelandapeck: Both of my showers are ending up being in January (6 and 20). My family didn't want to compete with the holidays, and the cousin we were going to plan around will only be home for a week this year (I think we're doing something small with her at our regular holiday gathering)

My SIL is coming to visit this weekend to help me register. She's SUPER excited for kidless day (minus her youngest, who's a super easy baby anyway). I think it'll be so fun. She doesn't know what any of the newer things are (I told her my friend is giving me a momaroo and she had no clue what it was), but I feel like with so many kids, she'll have a good handle on what actually gets used and what doesn't.

@dominobee: I think talking to your mom like @bushelandapeck: said is a good idea. Like, you understand if they aren't able to do something, but since they brought it up, here's the two times that work for you.

It sucks when things become so emotional. And when people aren't really talking about it. Been there! the whole thing with my sister saying my mom suggested we wait until the baby was born to have a party was a total miscommunication in my family. But I CAN say that once I spoke my mind and asked my family to be excited for me and not think of worst case scenarios (or at least not share them with me), things have gotten a lot better!

I was talking with another pregnant friend about how fast and slow our pregnancies are going. I counted up the number of days I have left to work before my due date.

Holy cow!

12. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@MaryM: When is your last day?

I just e-mailed my boss to say my likely last day at work will be Friday, 2/2. The OB wants to induce me at 38 weeks which is on Monday, 2/5. Of course I'd much prefer to start labor naturally but there are risk factors with twins going past that point. Visualization is a big part of Hypnobabies, so I'm going to start visualizing going into labor on my own that weekend because I'd prefer not to be induced.

13. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@dominobee: I counted up until my due date. I only have a three day window before my leave goes from 14 weeks to 10, so I don't think I'll be taking time off before I'm due unless I go late.

Or, I hope if I need to slow down, my boss will let me work remotely.

But I counted working days between now and Feb. 25. We get three days for thanksgiving and close to two weeks at Christmas and a few other random holidays

14. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@MaryM: I only work two days/ week so I think I have like 16 days left before I'm due (lots of Monday holidays in there and vacation next week). Pretty crazy when you think about it like that! And only 12 more nights of on-call, which is amazing!

15. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

@theotherstark: yay! iron and sugar are 2 very important things

@bushelandapeck: I just got all the clothes sorted this past weekend - TONS of short sleeved onesies and footie PJs, not much else. So I texted my mom & baby shower host to let them know, in case people asked, that we would appreciate jackets, pants, girly socks, and headbands. I'm hoping the same for black Friday etc - monitor and sound machine, just like you! Our sound machine has broken 3 times in 22 months so I'm springing for the Dohm. The only other "big" things are a double stroller (bought) and chest freezer (waiting until January, maybe??)

Our baby sprinkle will be the 1st or 2nd week of January, when I am 33 or 34 weeks. It feels a little late but Christmas kind of takes up calendar space

@dominobee: that really, really does suck. It is amazing how some people can be so in their own world, even with family. As for registry info, my mom was really good about word-of-mouth with the relatives, and most of my relatives sent us gift cards along with a congratulations card once baby arrived. I would have preferred beforehand, but hey, life. Sadly there is a lot of stuff you buy AFTER the baby is born, to, when you realize you need it! Keep tags and receipts on everything!

16. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@DesertDreams88: definitely spring for the Dohm! We have three and I'm buying another one for the baby I also need a new infant tub but feel like I can buy that whenever since they aren't very expensive. Now if we could just come up with a name for this little guy!

17. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@DesertDreams88: @bushelandapeck: I have a standard soundspa sound machine we registered for for our wedding (how romantic, right? lol)

Is the dohm really that much more worth it? Should I add it to the registry?

18. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@MaryM: I don;t honestly have anything to compare it to but I will say we've had my sons for over 5 years and it's still working great! We've never had an issue with it (or any of them, for that matter). I like the basic white noise and the ability to have two different volume levels so it works for us!

19. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@bushelandapeck: I'll have to remember ask my SIL. I think she's had both.

20. petitenoisette

pear / 1521 posts

@dominobee: I'm really sorry your sisters have dropped the ball. My sister and my mom did the same thing to me when I was pregnant with my first. My sister was also pregnant with her third and due a month after me and she just never got it together to have a shower for my side of the family. My mom dropping the ball was unsurprising so my sister should have known it was on her. Anyway I wasn't too bothered because I had two other showers but mostly felt bad that my side of the family wasn't included in anything. Maybe spin it that way when talking to your mom? I agree to try to be neutral about it that way if they do pull something together you don't feel like it was just bc you broke down to your mom about it. But I know that's easier said than done. Either way, I'm sure some people will find and buy from your registry even if there's no shower for them, that definitely happened with my first.

21. petitenoisette

pear / 1521 posts

@MaryM: I finally got a Dohm after two of the cheaper ones we bought broke on us after a few months. I definitely like it better and it's still going strong but if you already have one that works I wouldn't bother getting a new one!

@bushelandapeck: I feel you on the name, we are making no headway. I have two ideas but neither feel exactly like THE ONE like our daughters name did. And we like to do a family name for the middle but I don't really love any of the options available. Do you have any front runners at least?

22. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@petitenoisette: not even any front runners! DH and I have vastly different ideas about what names we like, so it's been very difficult to even figure out how to move forward. I like pretty traditional, but not too popular names and the only ones he's thrown out so far have been Arlo, Llewellyn (not joking), and Cormac (our last name starts with Mac). I'm frankly at a loss!

23. petitenoisette

pear / 1521 posts

@bushelandapeck: I think the last name my husband mentioned was Omarosa (joking but still) so I feel you on DH not being too helpful. Cormac Mac-, come on!

I really named our first daughter so I guess I was hoping too that this time DH would come up with something that I would love but I've realized that won't be happening...

24. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@petitenoisette: We already have the cheaper one, but I feel like you only get the chance to register once, so maybe we should go ahead and include it if it's a ton better!

@bushelandapeck: Namewise, we're still at a draw on nicknames (because the baby will have the same first name as DH, but he hates all nicknames). We've just given up and I hope we'll magically agree when he's born. Until then, DH is just calling him Junior.

25. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@petitenoisette: I'm sorry that happened to you too... but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.

I've been down in the dumps about it all day and now I'm too emotionally drained by my own internal drama to even bring it up to my mom on the phone. I think I'm just going to let it go, honestly, since I will see family next week for Thanksgiving and they're likely to ask. I just really don't want to be pressured to go home in January or February. I mean February is basically impossible anyway because I'm likely to have an induction scheduled the week of 2/5, if I haven't given birth before then.

@bushelandapeck @petitenoisette @marym: We're also not sure about names yet. I have a top 3 but can't decide among them. DH likes my top 3 but also has a few of his own that he likes, that I don't super care for, but that I'm willing to let marinate in case they grow on me. Our plan is to wait until they're born to decide for sure though. And secretly I think I'll end up getting what I want because who says no to a woman who just gave birth?

26. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@dominobee: When I was really disappointed by my mom and sister, I slept on it for one night so that I wasn't super mad when I wrote to my mom, but when it was still bothering me in the morning, I emailed her. I didn't want to sit and stew, and I knew she wouldn't want me to either.

Maybe sleeping on it will give you better clarity!

27. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@MaryM @petitenoisette @desertdreams88 @bushelandapeck: I had a nice long cry in the shower last night and decided that baby showers are not the important part of this life change. The important part is the two children we will soon welcome into our family. I already have one shower happening where I'll be surrounded by 30-some friends and a few family members that I love and care about. I'm not going to let the fact that my sisters don't seem to have much of an interest in this pregnancy or throwing a shower get me down. And I decided it's not worth bringing up to my family as they don't have a great track record when it comes to taking my concerns seriously. It is just easier for me emotionally to let it go rather than dwell on it. I want to free up that emotional space and energy in preparation for welcoming these two special little guys into our lives. Thanks so much for letting me vent about it here, it really helped. I'm feeling much better today.

28. skiierchck99

kiwi / 518 posts

@dominobee: I think Hellobee ate my post but I've been there - my mom's two sisters decided the week of my shower to change their RSVP and not come, not because they don't like me, but for crappy reasons IMO. I bawled that night and am still sad that they didn't come - it was hurtful and embarrassing. BUT - I just ultimately had to move on, enjoy it for what it was, and remind myself like you said that the shower is not the main point of this whole thing. It's hard, though, when people don't prioritize you the way you feel like you would prioritize them. Glad you're doing better today

29. skiierchck99

kiwi / 518 posts

27 weeks today! I had a check-up yesterday and nothing much to report though the did measure my stomach for the first time and asked me to make three whole appointments instead of the usual one! After the next one, I'll be in every other week until 38 weeks when I move to weekly! Was also supposed to do the glucose testing, but I had misplaced my wallet so I couldn't go to the lab. Thank goodness I realized before I drank the glucose! Will try again tomorrow.

30. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

So, our elevator is out at work and I work on the fourth floor of an old building (so A LOT of stairs...really high ceilings)

Omg...where did my lung capacity go?

31. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@MaryM: I feel you! I only work on the second floor and park in the basement, but I've been taking the elevator pretty much exclusively. Hope they get it fixed soon!

32. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@dominobee: At least for today...I'm not planning on going anywhere until I leave!

There's dignitaries in their 60s and 70s having lunch in our conference room. I can only imagine how embarrassing it was for security to tell them to take the stairs...

(we initially thought we couldn't take the elevator until they cleared it...then I noticed the floor numbers blinking...)

33. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@dominobee: glad you’re feeling better today. And you’re absolutely right-the important part is you and your husband and the two beautiful boys you’re bringing into the world

@skiierchck99: so glad you had a good appointment! It stars to feel very real when the appointments get closer together!

@MaryM: I feel the same! I used to always walk the four flights in my parking garage and now I just take the elevator. Lol

29w appointment today. No weight gain since my last appointment but I think that’s because I have been super constipated and am currently not I’m measuring 30w so that’s good wine I’m technically 30w on Thurs, by their count. I made my next 3 appointments 12/6, 12/26, and 1/2. Weekly appointments for me starting at 12/26. Yikes! They also have me the paperwork I need to fill out for the delivery and birth certificate. Things are starting to feel very real over here!

34. periwinklebee

grapefruit / 4466 posts

@dominobee: I'm sorry, I think kids definitely put new strains on family relationships, right at a point where you don't have time to deal with it...You are definitely not the only one. I'm also having issues, my mom has refused to talk to me for going on three weeks, all because she said she was planning to come the week of my due date (she only gets a few days vacation leave), and I very politely said she was welcome to come anytime but there was a chance the baby wouldn't be here yet. She got very upset, which completely blindsided me because I was just politely stating a biological fact, and is now just conveying messages through my father like "most daughters would want their moms to be there when their babies are born." Basically, I think all her pent up anger at me for moving far away for college and then never coming back "home" has boiled over - not being close to me is one thing but living far away from her first grandchild upsets her much more... I had some unexpected work stuff come up that has big implications for the future of my job and plus my husband is switching jobs in a month so negotiating his new contract has added stress to our life and I need to finalize everything for baby, so there's just only so much time I can put into my mom. And I just don't know how to fix the issues so I've been basically ignoring it, which may be making it worse but not sure what else to do. MIL is also I think less than happy with us about some stuff around the baby, but she's always like that, so nothing out of the normal there...

Pregnancy in general is going well but I think I'm to the part now where it's hard to sleep well at night, being more tired than normal plus all the stuff above combine to make me crankier than normal, but thankfully my DH has been really understanding...

35. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@periwinklebee: Wowww I'm sorry you're going through that with your mom. It's totally reasonable for you to say what you said, and besides, if she can only take a few days off work wouldn't she rather do it when she knows she can for sure meet her grandchild? If she comes when you're due she might have to leave before you go into labor.

Also, no, not everyone wants their mom around when they are having a baby! I want my mom to be able to meet our kids shortly after they are born but I don't plan to have her around during labor and delivery so it doesn't really matter when exactly she gets into town (they live 4 hours away). That said I will probably let them know when we go to the hospital so they can hit the road. My mom is retired so she has a flexible schedule and my dad has about a thousand weeks vacation because he's worked at the same company for 25 years. The extra bonus is that my sister lives in the same town I live in so they can stay with her while I'm actually in labor instead of being at my house.

But my mom said something about how she could come stay with us "for a month or two" after the boys are born and I about crapped my pants! Hahaha. Then my dad was like "what about the cat?" because she is allergic and my mom said "well you'll just have to get rid of the cat." Oh jeez, yeah right, I'm not getting rid of any pets!

At any rate I really hope your mom comes around!

36. periwinklebee

grapefruit / 4466 posts

@dominobee: Get rid of the cat Ugh, well, hopefully it works to keep her from camping out at your place more than you guys want.

Thank you, it's so nice to talk to people who understand!

37. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@periwinklebee: @dominobee: OMG. DH and I LOVE my mom...but I think a big part of that love is that she knows when it's time to leave!

38. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@periwinklebee @marym: My mom actually SAID to me that she doesn't think it's a grandmother's place to be in the room when a baby is being born (wondering what she'll do when my sister gets pregnant b/c she is the kind of girl that NEEDS her mama around for all kinds of things). For my babies' birth, she'll be in the waiting room or maybe even at my sister's place which is only 10 minutes away from the hospital!

39. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@dominobee: it’s amazing how families act when babies are involved. My mom was actually in the delivery room with me for my first and was incredibly helpful but she went back to my house after and went back to her own house the following day. With my daughter, I didn’t ask her to be in the room and there honestly wouldn’t have been time anyway since she came so quickly. She visited for a few hours the next day and a couple of days during the following weeks but never asked to stay over (which was fine with me). My MIL didn’t see either of my kids until they were several months old due to her drinking and mental health issues. Not sure if that will be different this time around as she’s sober. I’m not going to worry about it either way. I don’t need the drama.

40. snarkybiochemist

nectarine / 2180 posts

@dominobee: @periwinklebee: I told my mom I was being induced but she didn't meet my daughter until she was almost 24hrs old. I didn't want her hanging out and she didn't want to hang out. We invited my mil to drive to our house since she loves 2 hrs away and then she came the next day to visit. I had no visitors until 11am the next day after a 9:30pm delivery and it was great. Do what works for you and your husband, it's important to get to be a family of 3 or 4 before everyone descends upon you.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee