Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

February 2018 moms!

1. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@DesertDreams88: Yesterday I had oatmeal for breakfast, trail mix as a snack, and two hard boiled eggs for lunch.

I was SO hungry for dinner, but the glucose drink also gave me horrible reflux!

We're registered for a birthing class. That seems overwhelming! It's the day after our hospital tour, so we have a baby-full weekend coming up in a few weeks.

2. skiierchck99

kiwi / 518 posts

@Tionn3: @MaryM: @dominobee:@theotherstark: I didn't mind it actually....the orange tasted like Hi-C Ecto cooler, or like those barrel drinks we had as kids. Which.....really makes me question the fact that we drank that all as kids! The hardest part was the chugging.

3. skiierchck99

kiwi / 518 posts

@MaryM: Oh gosh the OB told me to get on this and I still don't know what I want to do....

4. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@skiierchck99: The birth class?

I googled my town and birth classes and found one highly rated one on Yelp taught by a nurse from the hospital where I'll deliver. Then I compared it to the hospital classes. The private one is smaller classes, and a little cheaper, and my OB blessed it, so we're doing that.

Now I'm trying to figure out the whole finding a pediatrician thing...

5. skiierchck99

kiwi / 518 posts

@MaryM: Oh, yes - the birth class! Thanks for the tips. I also need to find a ped....

6. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@skiierchck99: My OB suggested a ped group, and it almost seems too good to be true!

They offer complimentary lactation classes and have an IBCLC on staff, they have weekend hours, and "sick hours" (reserved for last minute appointments). And they do rounds at the hospital where we deliver and are close to home.

I'll still do a tour, but I think my OB pretty much took care of this one for me!

7. skiierchck99

kiwi / 518 posts

@MaryM: Wow that's amazing! I live about 30 min (in good traffic) away from the hospital and OB group I am using (used to live much closer) and think I need to look closer to home than they will recommend. The one friend with a kid who lives near me is still using her ped in the city but that just seems insane given that for my morning visits it's ~1 hour in traffic!

8. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@skiierchck99: We're pretty close to the OB, hospital, and recommended ped...but because of where we live, it's all pretty much 30 minutes away. But it's like 10 miles so we can't do much better.

9. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@MaryM: haha. I think I drank mine in less than 3 seconds.

@skiierchck99: we found a Pedi by asking around the local moms group. Do you have one you could crowd source? We also had some friends with kids in our town and they recommended the same place. I would stay close to home if you can! It’s nice to just pop down the street when I need to bring the kids in.

10. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@bushelandapeck: Most moms I know locally don't have little kids anymore (like, the neighbors are all teenagers). But I guess I could ask who they used to go to.

And our county is HUGE and our friends for the most part live 40 minutes or so away, so that wouldn't be especially helpful.

What I've found on the OB recommended group looks really good, and they're in network and my insurance company rates them highly, so I think as long as a tour there goes well that'll probably be it. I feel like it shouldn't be that easy...

11. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@MaryM: if you like the practice, that’s the most important thing! FWIW, I went to my pedi until I went to college!

12. theotherstark

pomegranate / 3045 posts

@MaryM: woohoo! Yay for pie. And glad you found a ped group that looks good!

@Tionn3: glad you’re feeling a bit better!

@DesertDreams88: ugh, I can’t imagine doing it at the end of the day!! Good luck.

13. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@skiierchck99: I took Hypnobabies which is admittedly pricey but if you are interested in an unmedicated birth or just prolonging an epidural as much as possible I recommend looking into it! The videos of women who have used Hypnobabies are quite convincing!

14. skiierchck99

kiwi / 518 posts

@dominobee: I'm totally on the fence. DH thinks that it's of course up to me but if he were me he thinks he would just do the epi. I'd like to do natural if possible, I think, buuuuut I'm just a little worried about coping with the pain, and then unsure if we should hire a doula...etc. Probably I will procrastinate a decision so long that I run out of time for a class and end up with an epidural anyway lol.

Anyone here hiring (or hired before) a doula? Thoughts?

15. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

Third trimester starts today, woohoo! Had an ultrasound this morning and my are these boys growing! Baby A is measuring at 2lb14oz and Baby B is 2lb13oz... that puts them both at around the 80th percentile. Pretty impressive considering 4 weeks ago they were around the 50th & 40th percentiles, respectively. Once again it was tough to get a good glamour shot of Baby B. This time he was all scrunched up in a ball. Baby A is head down while B is transverse, so I'm hoping I can do some exercises to encourage B into a head-down position.

OB wants to induce at 38 weeks so that means I've got just 10 weeks left in this pregnancy. So much still to do! My next priority is the nursery. Anybody have nursery updates to share?

16. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@skiierchck99: Hypnobabies uses self-hypnosis as a pain management technique. Search for Hypnobabies births on YouTube and I think you will be quite impressed! These women seem very comfortable, considering the circumstances.

I am hiring a doula, someone who has given birth to twins and has been at three twin births in the last year. Plus she's attended Hypnobabies births and unmedicated twin births. I want someone there who has gone through all of this before, and also I want the awesome massages, perineal compress/massage (to avoid episiotomy) and guidance with different positions. DH is kind of a high strung guy so I'd like someone in the room who is going to stay calm throughout!

17. skiierchck99

kiwi / 518 posts

@dominobee: Thanks, I will definitely check it out! I think my decision on Doula all comes down to whether or not I go natural or not....so I guess I really need to sort that out! DH is a very calm and unflappable guy but I have the tendency to snap at him when in pain already and think another experienced and trained person would decrease the likelihood of me picking a fight during labor, lol.

18. snarkybiochemist

nectarine / 2180 posts

@dominobee: woohoo grow big and strong boys! Sounds like you all are doing great, 10 weeks will be both very fast and seem to take forever.

19. periwinklebee

grapefruit / 4466 posts

@skiierchck99: If you want a doula, it might be good to sort out soon. I was a bit on the fence, decided to try to hire someone over a month ago when I found out that I had low platelets, but all four people that had been recommended to me were already completely booked for Jan. I'm sure I could have found someone who still had availability, but didn't want to hire someone without a personal recommendation and was on the fence anyways, so just decided to skip it.

20. skiierchck99

kiwi / 518 posts

@periwinklebee: Hmmm good thoughts - will make that a priority this week!

21. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

We also got 3D pics of Baby A (Baby B was too squished up) which are blowing my MIND!

22. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@skiierchck99: I'm on the fence about a doula too.

Because of my loss history, I looked into hiring one who also does bereavement (because I feel like she could be sensitive to dealing with past trauma and would know a bit about what I've experienced previously).

But I haven't actually pulled the trigger to call her.

@dominobee: If you want to read more about natural birth, I've had a ton of people suggest Ina May Gaskin's books. I'm reading her guide to Childbirth and it's helping me think of questions related to interventions to ask my OB about that I'd have no clue of otherwise (internal fetal monitors??). The first part is a ton of short birth stories, and it's really fascinating.

@dominobee: nursery wise, I've almost gotten my sewing stuff out of it. Just the machine is left (it's super heavy, so DH has to get help for it). But the room is nearly full with hand me down gear from our friends (a bassinet, rock and play, two tummy time mats, a play mat I don't even want, and a few other things)

23. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

Oh! And nursery wise...someone bought the crib off our registry, so that's exciting!

https://www.target.com/p/delta-children-greyson-3-in-1-convertible-crib/-/A-52127086#lnk=sametab (in walnut)

24. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@MaryM: Yes I have read that book, so helpful and reassuring! I actually read it back when I first started trying to get pregnant in 2015 so I've been thumbing through it again as a refresher.

We moved our guest bed out of the future nursery and into the office - and this setup actually works so much better. We have the dresser/changing table in the nursery along with lots of other random baby crap. Hopefully my mom will order the mini cribs soon so we can get a real layout going. Also need to get at least one glider/rocker. It would be awesome to get two but I'm not sure we have space, even if one is in the new guest bedroom/office. I also want to get a small child-sized bookshelf so the boys can pick out their own books when the time comes. And then after the layout is figured out we can start to put up fun decorative touches!

25. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@skiierchck99: I have had to natural births and did hire a doula with the first one but she didn't end up being present for the birth. I think the most helpful thing was the class I took and the fact that I had my mind made up that was the kind of birth I wanted. I also have a high pain tolerance so I think that helped too. Ina May Gaskin's books were also a great resource, both for birth and for breastfeeding, if that's something you want to do.

@dominobee: those are such amazing 3D pics! And what a great size they are already! No real nursery updates over here. I did order a few things online that we needed (monitor, new tub, extra carseat base) but I still need to buy a dresser and wash the clothes and cloth diapers. I'm hoping to get on that over the next couple of weeks. DH just bought a new car so I need to wait to see if our current seats will fit in it or if we need to buy more seats. Ugh.

26. Mrs. Oreo

pear / 1677 posts

@dominobee: loooove!

27. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

I've been thinking about a doula too but I'm really hopeful that my mom will be there, since she was invaluable during LO1's birth. So to pay hundreds for a person I might not use..... makes me think no. I went 9 days late with LO and that was WITH an induction soooo I think my mom coming 2 days before my DD should work out this time?

For December I need to work on my maternity leave binder for my substitute, read some birthing books (bought 4 on Black Friday), deep clean the house, and *maybe* wash the cloth diapers. My husband and I have 2 weeks off for break so I am hopeful.

We scheduled a 3D ultrasound for Dec 26, as my present to myself It's at the tail end of the "recommended" window but I can't fit it in earlier.

I'm up to biweekly appointments now, exciting!

28. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

Anyone buy baby stuff on Black Friday?

We bought birthing books, a car seat base, and a pregnancy ornament (we want to do ornaments for each child for each year of life).

We also bought baby doll stuff for LO & "big brother" books for him so we can start that conversation. He's only 22 months though so he doesn't really get it.

29. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

@dominobee: we put our glider in the living room. Much more sunlight and space there, and more of a central location. 3D pics are looking great and yay for good growth!

@MaryM: yay for cribs! All becoming so much more real, right?

@periwinklebee: how are your platelets currently? I should hear back from my dr tomorrow - I imagine 128K or around there, based on last pregnancy and this pregnancy's trends. I'm hoping not, though!

30. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@DesertDreams88: Are you in a one story or a two story house? I'm nervous about trying to carry two sleeping babies up the stairs without waking them up. We do have a rocking recliner in the family room though.

31. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

@dominobee: one story, so that's a big part of it. But I also never used the glider to put LO to sleep, but that's because LO MUCH preferred bouncing to anything else.

32. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@DesertDreams88: Oh dear, I hope these pups like the glider. Going to be hard to bounce two babies at once, haha.

33. periwinklebee

grapefruit / 4466 posts

@DesertDreams88: My practice doesn't redraw for platelets until 36 weeks. At that point, if they are sufficiently low they send you to a hematologist for steroid therapy to try to bring them up, and if they are borderline you just have to meet with the anesthesiologist to sign off on the fact that you understand that an epidural may not be an option. I hope your recent draw goes well!

As for Black Friday, I bought the rest of the stuff off my registry with the completion discount (it didn't apply correctly, which meant 2+ hours on the phone with Amazon customer service trying to get it fixed, ugh....I never want to shop again) Because the completion discount is pretty substantial, we got a fair number of things we won't need right away but will within the first year. It mostly came today and combined with the hand-me-downs, my minimalist lifestyle is completely gone Like, we tried to be fairly minimalist, but there are just so many little things...Probably the most useful thing I bought was those little Ikea dresser organize bins. My goal has been to have everything ready by 34 weeks - which is a week from today - and I think we're more or less on track.

34. petitenoisette

pear / 1521 posts

@dominobee: @DesertDreams88: We also have our glider in our living room. Two story house. Personally I associated the glider more for use with nursing (which I ended up doing in my bed at night) rather than trying to get baby to sleep which was done more walking around and rocking. We'll see what happens with this baby!

I have basically officially done nothing for this baby besides organize our clothes (but nothing is washed or anything). I keep talking myself out of pulling the trigger on larger purchases for things we probably won't even need right away anyway. And we are clueless on the name. We're about to redo our kitchen though so that's a good pre-baby project, right?

35. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@petitenoisette: Since we have the rocking recliner in the family room we'll probably just get one glider for the guest room (don't think it will fit in the nursery). It will be nice to have two chairs that rock since we'll have two babies and inevitably will have to periodically divide and conquer, haha.

36. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

Anyone else getting hit with extreme FATIGUE??? Feels like the first trimester all over again the last few days. It's 2pm and I could seriously fall asleep at my desk!

37. LadyDi

persimmon / 1380 posts

I still have basically nothing done for the baby or his room, but we successfully moved DS out of the nursery and into his big boy room! He loves it and thankfully has been sleeping really well (we went straight from the crib into a twin bed). Nothing really will change in the nursery, I just need to re-organize it and fix a couple minor things and get the old baby clothes out of storage and organized. I plan on focusing on all of that in January and just trying to enjoy the holidays as our last Christmas as a family of three.

@dominobee: I was SO fatigued yesterday...like falling asleep at my desk. I think it's because I am getting a cold so I hope it's temporary, but definitely the most tired I have felt since the first trimester.

38. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@LadyDi: Yeah, DH suggested the fatigue might have something to do with all the nasty germs my body is fighting off right now. He just got over the flu, had a 100 degree fever yesterday and slept 13 hours last night.

39. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@dominobee: I'm super tired, but I'm also not sleeping well because of sciatica. I'm not sure how I can survive three more months of this with no free time to take off work. I'm SO ready for the holidays...

40. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@DesertDreams88: I bought the monitor and extra carseat base on Cyber Monday but that's it. We've been given SO many boy clothes and I need to take the time to wash and organize them all.

@dominobee: YES! Totally tired all the time over here. It doesn't help that I've woken up between 4:30-5am the past 3 days and been unable to fall back asleep. I could barely keep my eyes open at work this morning.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee