Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

June 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

I need to work on figuring out hunger cues versus sleep cues.

2. MrsBrewer

coconut / 8854 posts

@LindsayInNY: same here! I think I'm confusing the two!

3. MrsBrewer

coconut / 8854 posts

@Mrs.KMM: so it's comm on for awake periods to be only 30 min- hour and a half long??

4. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

@MrsBrewer: I really like the chart here that gives general wake time guidelines: http://www.troublesometots.com/baby-sleep-what-is-normal/

But yes, 30-90 minutes is totally normal right now.

5. rpparker

apricot / 363 posts

@LindsayInNY: @MrsBrewer: We are on day 2 of a loose EASY schedule. I found this sample schedule online. I'm having the same problem about sleep versus hunger cues. And it's hard to get her to sleep without nursing but I think that is leading towards lots of snacks and not full feedings.

6. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

W often falls asleep for his nap as he is eating. How do you keep them up for an activity?

7. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

I don't know how to adjust bedtime/wake times. She goes down about 9-10ish and wakes up whenever?

8. rpparker

apricot / 363 posts

Our bedtime starts at 8 and she's usually asleep by 9 but we do a feeding at 2am and she's usually up at 6 so I only use it for daytime. Even then I don't necessarily stick to the times but more the order and intervals.

9. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

I'm trying EASY and we are making progress on routines and napping. I'm starting to understand LOs hunger vs tired cries/cues too. But he wants to comfort nurse if he's tired. I always try the pacifier and swing first but that usually only works for the first nap of the day. And if he's going to be at the breast comfort nursing he wants to eat too. So we're really doing EAESY for survival. I'd love to get more time between nursing sessions (especially at night).

10. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

@Eko: it's one of those perpetuating things, where you have to keep them awake to get them to sleep, and then they'll be awake enough to eat. So you just have to push through for awhile (tickle feet, use a wet wash cloth, etc). Also, if LO is too sleepy, I'll let him snooze for 5 minutes before waking him for activity (but no more). But the key for us has been getting that full feed in and not offering again (if he's clearly hungry, I'll feed, but if he ate well, then I know they are sleep cues). It has totally paid off. For the most part I can swaddle LO, turn on white noise, set him in his crib, and leave the room.

11. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@Jess1483: oh ok. I definitely need to start working on this. How long did it take for you to be able to put LO down on this schedule?

12. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

@Eko: Hm... a day or two. But EPS was so important to me with LO1 that I tried to work toward it from the very beginning. He's also just a much easier baby than LO1, so it's hard to say how much is what I've done (probably not much), and how much is just who he is (probably a lot...)

13. MrsBrewer

coconut / 8854 posts

Ok so the nighttime schedule says bath in it. Do all of you ladies give your baby's baths every night?? I give baths probably every third night unless she has a really bad spit up, or blow out

14. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

@MrsBrewer: we're the same (bath about every third night unless she's really dirty).

15. rpparker

apricot / 363 posts

@MrsBrewer: We do a bath every other night but on the nights with no bath we just do a little massage like we would after a bath.

16. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

@MrsBrewer: we do, but there's only soap every other night. I find it to be an important cue in differentiating between nap and bedtime, but you could totally be successful with a different cue (massage or songs or even spending time in a particular room.)

17. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

@MrsBrewer: Um, she gets a bath once a week maybe? It's just a lot of work and not a one man job yet!

@rpparker: What do you mean by massage?

18. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@MrsBrewer: we do baths every other night.

19. rpparker

apricot / 363 posts

@LindsayInNY: Just lay her out on the changing table with a diaper and rub her down with some lotion. I'll sing or just chitchat quietly with her. She loves stretching her legs and arms out and it seems to relax her. Then I put her in the sleep sack. My mom first did it when we got home from the hospital and she fell asleep during it. My mom still hypnotizes her like that!

20. MrsBrewer

coconut / 8854 posts

I can't believe I have a 2 month old!!

21. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

@MrsBrewer: so cute!

22. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

@MrsBrewer: Smooshy cheeks!!!

Little one made it from 8:30-4:30 last night without eating, although he needed resettling (by which I mean, needed to come into bed) at 1. We're having some crazy oversupply issues, which I think are bugging him at night and making him fussier, but I'm starting to get it under control and hoping he'll be able to make that stretch without resettling soon.

23. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

@rpparker: Hmm. Might have to try doing that? I can't imagine making a bath a nightly thing.

24. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@MrsBrewer: super cute!

Since DS' feeding and reflux is under control I am attempting to get him on an easy schedule as well as transition him to a pack n play (until I move him to his crib). While the easy schedule is working well he has not been sleeping well at all. Anyone have any tips? I swaddle, incline the mattress, use white noise. He is only napping in 20-30 minute increments. Maybe I just need to stick with what I'm doing?

25. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

Someone asked about this but I can't remember when/where... LO hasn't pooped yet today and only had a big one yesterday. Normal?

26. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

@LindsayInNY: yep - we get approximately 1 poop a day but it isn't abnormal to go a day or so without one.

27. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

@Mrs.KMM: Ah okay! We got one tonight. She's had plenty of wet diapers but overall not as many as usual the past 2-3 days for some reason.

28. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

Curious what everyone's thoughts are on drinking and BFing/pumping. Not pump and dump either. Does it matter what you're drinking or how much? No difference?

29. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

@Eko: that was DS1 from 1-6 months. It's a really common thing (just google short naps). Troublesome tots just wrote a huge post on it. I think it's on the home page right now. I'd start there. At the same time, I kind of wish I'd just rolled with it with ds. I stressed myself out so much trying to extend naps and it just made us both mad (and worked maybe 3% of the time). So I'd give it a solid week of trouble shooting, and then give it a few weeks to just roll with it, then try again, etc. naps usually consolidate at 6-8 months. The only thing that sometimes worked was anticipating the wake up and waiting there to shush him back to sleep. I usually tried to get one good in-arms nap a day and then the rest was a crap shoot. (ETA: I'd totally continue to embrace the swing or rnp at this age if it gives you better naps. Honestly, the transition out of them is so easy when they are a bit older. Totally not a battle I'd fight right now if they get you more sleep).
    @LindsayInNY: I will drink one beer or glass of wine and nurse. The amount they get is so tiny. As long as I'd drive, I'll nurse.

30. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

@LindsayInNY: I agree with @Jess1483:. If I'd be comfortable driving, I'd have no concern nursing (or pumping and bottle feeding it). I definitely used milk pumped after having a drink before we switched to FF.

31. 78h2o

grapefruit / 4441 posts

@LindsayInNY: I have heard the same... if you are okay to drive, you are okay to nurse. If you have several drinks and feel tipsy, wait until you sober up to nurse... you don't have to pump and dump based on what you drank, it's more about your level of sobriety at the time you nurse, as that reflects your blood alcohol content and how much the baby will get.

32. rosegold

apricot / 428 posts

man. i'm going to have the hardest time NOT checking in on little one as he sleeps.

anyone else feel MORE nervous than they did with their first? i thought it was supposed to be opposite.

33. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

@Jess1483: @Mrs.KMM: @78h2o: Olay, great! That's basically been my mentality but wanted to check. I didn't drink a drop while pregnant so I wasn't sure if I was being over lax now or what. Mind you I'm literally having half a beer most times or one glass of wine over a couple hours anyways.

34. dc yoga bee

grapefruit / 4770 posts

@LindsayInNY: my hospital gave me all this literature as well as harping on our postpartum bf class that we absolutely should not drink the first 12 weeks of nursing. After that, you don't have to pump and dump if it's only 1-2 drinks and you nurse at least two hours afterwards. I have an occasional cocktail when I'm out, so I'm not really missing anything. For me, LO has such a sensitive tummy, I probably won't drink while bf'ing at all. And if I do have a drink, she will be much much older

Yesterday, we had quite the scare. LO only drank 1 ounce from 5:15am until 1:30pm. Complete bottle refusal, but happy otherwise. She has taken these bottles just fine previously. My mom asked me to come home, and see if she would nurse. We were concerned she was dehydrated. So, I go home and of course she immediately nurses. Whew! Called the doctor, and they said what we have here is a bottle strike. Very common for baby to all the sudden refuse the bottle. My mom will have to use a spoon or syringe to get her to take at least an ounce every two hours until I get home. They have seen some babies go 12 hours without any milk while they wait for mom. This means I cannot work late (yes!), or travel for work (yes!) for quite some time.

35. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

@dc yoga bee: What was the reason for saying no for 12 weeks? I haven't heard of that before.

36. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@Jess1483: thanks! We have mostly been co-sleeping and napping in my arms and a swing. He started hating the rock n play around one month. I want to get him to sleep in it at night mostly. But think if I start with naps then the nighttime transition will be easier. Thanks for the website recommendation!

37. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

@dc yoga bee: Haha! I love/hate how everyone recommends something different. Our hospital run BFing class said that there is absolutely nothing wrong with drinking at any point while breast feeding. I'm curious what the reasoning was with the "first 12 weeks" thing.

38. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@dc yoga bee: Sorry you're dealing with a bottle strike. That can be very stressful. LO1 didn't take a bottle when I went back to work. It took several 9 hour days at daycare to get her to take anything. Sounds like you have a good attitude about your work restrictions. Hope the strike ends soon.

39. dc yoga bee

grapefruit / 4770 posts

@LindsayInNY: @Mrs.KMM: I love/hate it too lol. They said because if any alcohol is left in your breastmilk and gets in their syndrome she will not be able to process it/get your baby drunk/ and similar concerns with fetal alcohol syndrome.

@Corduroy: She took the bottle just fine today! We are thinking she was uncomfortable with the thrush. Because she also went back to sucking her pacifier today too.

40. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

How is EASY working for everyone? I'm still having a hard time getting LO to nap sometimes. And she also seems to be having some gas issues. She'll be extremely fussy and crying and then I'll hear a burp or fart and she'll be fine. I'm burping her after nursing (as long as she doesn't fall asleep during) but is there anything else I can do?

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee