Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

June 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. extrasprinkles

coffee bean / 44 posts

@badwolf: Another boob hat user here. Congrats on making it through an entire day only using the nipple shield 1x! I think we've weaned off of using it on one side but dangit, cannot make it happen on the second!!! I also have to swaddle my little guy for nursing, hoping to find a way to let go of that soon too. Sigh. And 5.5 hour sleep stretches?? That sounds like heaven to me ... hope it happens again for you soon!

2. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

Long time, no post. E is a little over 8 weeks old now. We're getting 5-6 hour stretches of sleep at night now (with one awesome 7 hour night) and she's 100% formula fed at this point. We've found she sleeps better at night if we actually swaddle her and put her in her crib for a couple naps per day (instead of always letting her nap in the rock and play in the main living room). I think she sleeps more soundly that way and as they say, sleep begets sleep!

To cover everyone's questions (that I can recall), we're getting about 1 poopy diaper a day (but it is big!). E sometimes shows the whites of her eyes when sleeping and it is creepy. PP sex was really good and long overdue (but with the C-section I didn't have tearing to worry about). Antibiotics were the only thing that caused improvement with both my bouts of mastitis and neither DD or I ended up with thrush so try not to stress if you end up needing them.

3. 78h2o

grapefruit / 4441 posts

@Jess1483: ugh, I'm sorry about your sleep situation! I hope you get some more rest soon.

H is stingy with her smiles, but I finally caught a few on camera today!

4. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

Oh - and I forgot our biggest news! We traded in my VW Jetta that I've had since I was 16 and bought a 2016 Ford Explorer!! Yay for more family friendly cars!

5. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

Sleep is almost too good here. Our 20 month old sleeps worse than our 5 week old. Dd gets up once a night - it was 2am for the longest time, then it was 4am for a couple nights and last night it was 530! But she's on the boob ALL DAY!

6. badwolf

grape / 77 posts

@extrasprinkles: The first time she slept over 5 hours I thought I'd died and gone to heaven! I do earn it though - every night we now go through what I call her Nightly Fuss, where she whines and feeds every hour from 5-9 or 10pm. She basically cluster feeds for a few hours every night then sleeps a decent stretch. Hoping the fuss part ends soon, that's not fun. Last night she did great for sleep though, 5 hours then 4 after feeding. Now she's been up since 8 but she's in a good mood so it's fine.

I'm super relieved that losing the boob hat has gone so well. I though I was going to have to go back to the LC for help but it seems like she was just ready on her own. My boobs certainly haven't gotten any more cooperative, but I think her latch is strong enough now that even if I have to coax my nips back into position periodically, she can manage.

@MrsKMM, C is 8 weeks today! Her car seat barely fits in my back seat (Mazda3) but since my car is paid off, I'm not ready to take on a payment to get a bigger car just yet. Certainly if/when we have #2 though, that'll have to happen.

7. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

Just my update... LO is amazing at night, sleeping for easily 7 hour stretches. The last 3 nights I've been pumping when I wake up in the middle of the night because I get a decent amount. Except I wake up around 4:30ish. So that happened this morning, I went back to bed around 5 only for LO to wake up at 5:30. UGH. It took a lot of empty nursing in bed (we snuggled and she went back to bed that way yesterday) and eventually bottles of pumped milk to finally get her back to sleep around 7:30. So then DH and I slept until about 9:30 lol. My nipples are still really sore and nothing I've tried seems to be helping. I can manage nursing until usually evening when it really starts to hurt. The LC suggested the nipple hat when it hurts but that only alleviates some of the discomfort and pain and LO doesn't feel as well with it. So that's still a work in progress.

8. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

@badwolf: When we were going to trade in the car, DH told me I had better not get in a crash or he would lose his kneecaps (the passenger seat had to be so far forward to fit the car seat behind it that his knees were in the dash). We had both of our cars paid off but we just paid off the other one a couple months ago so we're used to having a car payment. I'm just glad we don't have more than one.

9. extrasprinkles

coffee bean / 44 posts

@LINDSAYINNY: Oh my! What do your days look like in terms of naps? Our LO still has days/nights flipped so my new google obsession has been baby sleep. Sigh. Bummer about the nipple pain - I'm guessing you've tried it all? Gel soothies, creams and such. Would APNO be overkill? It helped me a lot with soreness though I'm not convinced it was totally necessary ...

10. dc yoga bee

grapefruit / 4770 posts

@Mrs.KMM: Congrats!! My first car was a Jetta when I was 16 as well! I kept it for 18 years, and then traded it in for a 2 door Honda Accord when it died on me in law school. Soooo, we had to get a second car, and one with four doors so we just bought our first car lol. We got a new Jeep Cherokee.

@badwolf: I've never had a car payment until now since we needed four doors. It's actually not that bad, and we pay extra towards the principal to pay it off quicker!

Maya is now double digits in weight! And she just celebrated her two month birthday on Friday! 10lbs 6oz!

11. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

I love reading everyone's updates.

W had been on Prilosec now for three days and he is such a different baby! This stuff has been life changing. He is still a little gassy, which sometimes wakes him up, but he is so much better! He sleeps in about 4 hour stretches at night, but we have been battling the acid reflux so there had been many hurdles. We figured out too that since he's gotten bigger he hates his rock and play. He now sleeps in his pack and play in our room. We havent bought an a/c yet for his room so we are waiting for the weather to cool off before transitioning to his crib.

12. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

LO had his longest stretch of sleep yet: a nap lasting almost four hours. I would have woken him up but I was getting some much needed time with LO1 after her nap. Not sure if it was the long nap or just meant to be but the mastitis swelling seemed a little worse so I started the antibiotics. The antibiotics say 4x per day at least two hours after food and hour before food. That's not exactly compatible with my current 'grab something when I can between nursing sessions' eating plan.

13. 78h2o

grapefruit / 4441 posts

My trip to Oregon alone with both girls went pretty well. The baby was fantastic on the plane flights (7+ hrs total)... She basically either slept, nursed, or laid quietly looking and me. My toddler did pretty well too. We stayed at 4 different locations on the trip (my parents' house, 2 different cabins, a hotel), so H slept in a Rock n Play the whole time because it was the easiest thing to move around. My toddler's sleep was crap the whole time, but H did great. She started sleeping longer and longer... First 5 hrs, then 6, then 7. Lately she sleeps 2 hrs, nurses, then sleeps 7 hrs or so, nurses, then sleeps another 3. She still sleeps A LOT during th day too. I hope that's okay! J never slept though the night until she was 1.5 yr (and actually still wakes up many nights), so this is new to me.

Holly got her first injury the other day... I felt so terrible. I was at a consignment sale, nursing in the corner, and a Little Tykes basketball hoop fell off a table (after someone moved a bunch of them around) and hit her in the head. It happened so fast, I didn't really see exactly how it hit her. It's possible it just grazed her, I don't know. All I know is that she WAILED and got a small mark/bruise. it was awful. I was so traumatized I was shaking. A lady went to get her ice and while I waited, I bawled in front of like 300 people who were waiting in line (even though baby was no longer crying at that point). I probably should have taken her to the doctor, but I just watched her closely and she seemed fine. It wasn't until later when I was googling that I realized they are supposed to be seen no matter what when they are less than 3 months. Anyways, it happened Thursday and she seems fine, fortunately.

14. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@78h2o: Glad to hear the trip went well. Way to go mama!

15. 78h2o

grapefruit / 4441 posts

@Corduroy: thanks! Sorry about the mastitis... That sounds like a high maintenance antibiotic! What the heck, like you have time for that?! When I had it, my antibiotic was 4x day for 10 days... I thought that was annoying, but they didn't give me instructions about eating. Wow! What a pain! Hope they work though and you feel better soon. Mastitis blows.

16. dc yoga bee

grapefruit / 4770 posts

@MamaB: M does have thrush! We took her to the doctor because she's been projectile vomiting again, and the doctor said she has thrush. She doesn't have white spots all over her mouth, just the tongue. And I'm not in any pain. She said it could be causing the spit up and wrote a perscription for a suspension liquid for her. I don't know how she could've gotten it, I'm diligent about washing stuff

17. 78h2o

grapefruit / 4441 posts

@dc yoga bee: H is doing the projectile vomiting again too!

18. dc yoga bee

grapefruit / 4770 posts

@78h2o: They have breast is best all over their website, DH told them twice M is ebf, and they still pushed formula on him....

19. MamaB

cherry / 234 posts

@dc yoga bee: Boo!! Make sure you rub the medicine on her tongue and cheeks when you give it to her. Also, rub some on your nipples 3-4 times/day. Trust me, you do not want to have the yeast yourself!

20. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

Has anyone else's LO have a sudden increase in appetite? W normally eats every 3-4 hours and is now every 1-3 hours. Our nights are now shot. Anyone can commiserate with me?

21. MrsBrewer

coconut / 8854 posts

@Eko: YES!! My LO used to go 5-6 hours for one stretch at night, well now I'm lucky to get 3 hours for one stretch.

22. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@Eko: DS eats just about every hour and ten minutes. The exception is a longer afternoon nap and one three hour sleep stretch. It makes for long nights. Hoping it stretches in length soon.

He did sleep in his crib (and not on me) for the first time last night, until 3am. Then it was back to the recliner for us. One of these nights I'm going to spend the whole night in bed. DH got a new mattress without asking me right at the end of pregnancy. The 100 day trial period is almost up and I think I've spent about 20 hours on it total.

23. MamaB

cherry / 234 posts

Wel, I had my postpartum appointment today. Everything looked good. It's ridiculous that I could relax enough to push an almost 10 pound baby out, but it took 20 minutes for me to relax enough for the midwife to place the IUD. Ha! I kept apologizing to the midwife and nurse, but damn I was SO tense!!

24. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@MrsBrewer: @Corduroy: Glad that I'm not the only one! It's quite miserable.

Sorry to hear @Corduroy: that you haven't had much use in the new bed. I completely wish I had a better and bigger one than I do now!

25. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@Corduroy: I've only slept in bed once since being home.... so you're not alone.

26. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

@Eko: and @MrsBrewer: DD's sleep has sucked the last few nights. We were getting 5.5-6.5 hour stretches at night but we've reverted back to 2-3.5 hour stretches.

Can't believe that E is 2 months old today though!

27. cascademom

coconut / 8861 posts

@Corduroy: @Ash: I haven't slept in the bed much since LO was born. I'm on the couch most nights because of where we put his RNP and doing all of the overnight time.

28. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

Question: How many feeds is your little one getting in a 24-hour period? We are starting to get into a routine with 6-7 feeds. This seems low, but I'm also pretty sure he takes between 4 and 5 ounces a time, and he's gained 5 pounds in 5 weeks (from birthweight, not lowest weight), so I'm not too concerned about how much he's eating. But the old internet is stressing me out about it not being enough. It's about every 3-ish hours during the day (although occasionally he needs a pick-me-up feed in the middle of a nap), and then one or two overnight feeds.

And, in an exciting turn of events, I've started getting one 5ish hour stretch a night out of him!

This is all so shocking to me as my older son woke ever 1-2 hours until he was a year old (but he was, and is, a skinny mini).

29. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

@Jess1483: We have 6-8 feedings per day (typically 1 of which is overnight). She averages about 33 ounces a day. Our ped has been really happy with her weight gain and says we are right on track with what/how she's eating. So I'd say your current routine sounds fine!

30. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

E had her two month check-up yesterday morning and got a few vaccines. She is up to 12lbs 6.5 ounces so she's gained close to 6 lbs since birth! And I don't know if it had anything to do with the shots or not but she slept for over 8.5 hours straight last night!! I feel so well rested today.

31. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@Jess1483: we are getting probably about 8 feedings. I don't think it sounds like an issue for you since he's gaining enough weight. W eats about every 3 hours and more cluster feeds in the afternoon.

32. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

E just flipped herself from her stomach to her back! At exactly 9 weeks old! We were having tummy time and she just flipped herself! I flipped her back to her belly to see if she would do it again and she tried but couldn't quite get over a second time.

33. 78h2o

grapefruit / 4441 posts

@Jess1483: the lactation consultants I see at my weekly support group meeting encouraged me to get back to 8 feelings. They said that less than that, esp before 12 weeks can be bad for supply. I'm trying to increase to get in 8, but I'm not terribly worried as H's weight gain is good. At her appointment on Wed she was 12 lbs 9 oz, 24" - 99th for head circ, 97th height, 79th weight.

34. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

@78h2o: yeah, supply has never been an issue for me But I'll keep an eye on it. I don't have the oversupply I had with p, but can easily pump an extra 4 ounces once or twice a day (with my hand pump). I think we get 7 more often than we get 6, so I'm feeling pretty good about it. I'm really curious about E's weight. I need to take him somewhere for a weight check. But I'd guess at the very least 13 pounds (which p hit at 4 months).

(Eta: I guess if you count my pumping as a feed, I'm at 8 to protect supply!)

35. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

@Mrs.KMM: my first son did that three times in one day about that age, and then didn't do it again for at least a couple months. Babies are so weird Go E! That's definitely a good sign of strength!

36. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@Mrs.KMM: that's so great! W hates tummy time on his own. He just screams. He likes being on his back and will likely start rolling that way. He kicks his legs so hard and fast he develops momentum and flips the bottom half over.. Just can't quite get his shoulders though.

37. rosegold

apricot / 428 posts

can't wait for my littl guy to be mobile!! his big sister is so antsy for him to jump around and play with her.

i skipped out on my postpartum checkup but now i'm regretting it! calling them tomorrow but i'm concerned about thrush. little guy has had a "yeasty" rash on his neck but peds checked his tongue and scraped and looked under a microscope and they said not thrush on his end. but i get that random pins n needles sensation in my boobs and i think my nipples are pink(ish)?? i can't seem to beat his little rash, it's not as angry red but i'm still using this antifungal/steroid cream on him which makes me nervous. any mamas go through thrush troubles?

38. MamaB

cherry / 234 posts

@rosegold: Yup. We battled/are battling it. I wouldn't do a steroid cream on him. The pediatrician will give you Nystatin when you go (if it's yeast), and just make sure to apply it to your nipples as well as in his mouth.

39. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

I forgot to add, I had my check-up Wednesday. I'm still having occasional red blood, so she is sending me for an ultrasound next week. Worst case is a round of antibiotics. Annoying, but not too bad.

40. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

E has gotten all of a sudden super efficient at the breast. I feel like it's too early for that to happen, but he is full and satisfied and able to go 3 hours before another feed after about 10 minutes. I don't think most babies get that efficient until 4-ish months, but have heard it can happen earlier with subsequent babies. It's exciting but a little nerve-wracking...

And I got a 6-hour stretch last night! Hallelujah!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee