Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

June 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@MamaB: a pint of ice cream? Lol. I think I'm in it now with LO at 7 weeks. I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one who is miserable.

2. cascademom

coconut / 8861 posts

How's everyone doing? We have good nap days and bad nap days here. Some days, J won't nap during the day, so we load up in the Tula and walk the neighborhood like yesterday. Other days, he's great sleeping during the day, but has trouble going down at night. Overall, he's a lot better than his brother was at this age. He has a bit of a cold from his big brother. I went to the peds by myself last week which is a huge accomplishment because it's in an area of Lincoln Park with horrible construction.

3. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@Jess1483: I'm on the other side of the poopy diaper count. I would estimate we have about 12 a day at 6 weeks. I know I've changed 5 today and it's 11 am. I don't even change overnight because I need some sleep. I probably shouldn't have read the article because they have 8 as the high count. I'm going to choose to believe 12 is fine too.

@MamaB: my strategy is to take pictures of all the difficult stages. Taking pictures helps me think about a time in the future that I'll look back on these times and miss them. Or look back on them in amazement that I survived. Either way, it reminds me that each phase only lasts a short period and we'll be on to the next challenge. Hugs!

4. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

@Corduroy: DS1 was on the high side as well, although partly due to a hindmilk/foremilk imbalance that caused explosive poops. I'd guess 10+ at this point. DS2 just turned a month old, and I'd estimate we're still in the 6-8 category, although not this morning. We'll have to see if this is a change or if we're in for a big one this afternoon

5. hocuspocus

apricot / 373 posts

@MamaB: we've been doing lots of baby wearing! As soon as I wrap E up she passes out
    like within 5 minutes, it's been such a lifesaver!

6. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@cascademom: W has been a terrible sleeper the past couple days. Walking around helps us a lot too. He has had terrible gas and we just switched his formula about a week ago and I am having the worst timing telling if his fussiness and irritability is normal or not.

7. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

Does anyone else's LO suddenly cry when they are sleeping and fall back asleep?

8. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

LO is on the other side of sleep things... Since she gained last week, I was told not to wake her at night to feed. So that's great but I'm a little concerned about her eating/weight (since she wakes up starving) as well as my supply. She sleeps 6-7 hours overnight and has been fairly consistently. She's a terrible napper though. She'll doze and then wake back up. When she does nap, she's down for 2-3 hours and sometimes I have to wake her around the 2 1/2 to 3 hour mark. She's clearly tired so I don't know why she won't nap!

9. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@Eko: yep! I think it's gas.

@LindsayInNY: my dd is the exact same!

10. dc yoga bee

grapefruit / 4770 posts

Today is my first day teleworking, and M has decided to have a cry fest! We are still in an apt until November, but luckily my co-worker said she can't hear her crying when my mom goes with her into the nursery and shuts the door!

11. dc yoga bee

grapefruit / 4770 posts

@MrsBrewer: Yes, my mom doubles as M's nanny! We are paying her for her time because this is hard work!! I think I had a pretty easy transition since my mom
    Is watching her, and I telework a lot too. My boss told me Monday she will approve advanced leave if I want to go back on maternity leave or take a day or two here or there.

12. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

Those of you that have had sex post-baby, did anyone have tears? I'm afraid of how bad it'll hurt! My follow up exam is at the 7 week mark (based on scheduling issues) and I feel like I should wait until then because if the exam itself hurts then sex likely will? Am I overthinking this?

13. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@LindsayInNY: I had a 3rd degree and I'm waiting until I'm released. Plus, I'm scared to death of anything going near my lady bits!

14. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

@Ash: Same tear here so I know exactly what you mean!!

15. rosegold

apricot / 428 posts

so tired! little guy's skin keeps turning back to bumps and i can't tell if it's just the heat. started him on zantac and i'm worried that if he doesn't have reflux, what does the medication do for him then? my head hurts for me, my heart hurts for him.

16. MrsBrewer

coconut / 8854 posts

Finally got our newborn pictures!! Here's one of my favorites!

17. MrsBrewer

coconut / 8854 posts

@LindsayInNY: I had a second degree tear, and we had sex at 5 weeks PP. it wasn't horrible, but it definitely wasn't great either. It was incomforttable at first but then it was tolerable. It's been about 2 weeks now and we haven't tried again yet.

18. hocuspocus

apricot / 373 posts

@MrsBrewer: she's so cute! Love the headband.

19. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

Ugh, I came down with mastitis last night. It isn't so horrible so I'm having trouble accepting that I need antibiotics. I had it once with LO1 and it resolved itself spontaneously. I have an antibiotic prescription waiting for me at the pharmacy. Waiting to see if my fever comes back.

20. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

@MrsBrewer: What made it uncomfortable?

21. MrsBrewer

coconut / 8854 posts

@LindsayInNY: well totally going to be TMI, but here it goes anyways. I was very dry, and tried at first without lube. That hurt. So then we stopped used some lube and that was a bit better. It still felt weird though at first, like I could almost feel where the scar/stitches were on... Umm entry. But as we were going then, that feeling went away and I could mildly enjoy.

22. MrsBrewer

coconut / 8854 posts

@Corduroy: oh no!! how come you don't want to take the antibiotic??

@hocuspocus: thank you!! That was actually a headband that the photographer just had!!

23. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

@MrsBrewer: @LindsayInNY: After DS1, it hurt really badly for quite awhile. I finally talked to my doc about it, and started using topical estrogen. It made all the difference for me. When I weaned, I was able to stop using it.

I won't try this time until after my 6-week appointment, but if I have the same issue, I'll start on the estrogen right away.

24. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@MrsBrewer: I really want to avoid thrush & I like to avoid unnecessary antibiotics if possible. At the worst of it yesterday my symptoms were still pretty mild. If my fever comes back or I start to feel bad again I will definitely take them. I just don't want to start antibiotics if it's already over. My experience with LO1 might be making me overly optimistic. I have DH watching me, ready to fill the prescription and dose me if needed.

25. MamaB

cherry / 234 posts

@Corduroy: We are fighting off thrush. I half assed the medicine for myself the first week because I wasn't in any pain. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks, like sharp hot knives stabbing my boobs constantly. It is no joke. I've been militant about the meds ever since and it finally seems to be getting better. That being said, you should totally take the meds for mastitis. Just be diligent about taking your probiotics and eat lots of yogurt

26. badwolf

grape / 77 posts

@LindsayInNY: When you started weaning off the nipple shield, did your LO's feeding habits change? I fed C a few times today without the shield and she actually latched on most of the time, but it seems like she's barely on the boob before she's done. We would normally go at least 15-20 minutes for feeding but now she's pulling off after less than 5, and it's hard to get her to stay on for 10 min between both boobs. I know the shield is supposed to slow things down but cutting feeding itme in half seems drastic! Did anything like that happen for you?

27. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@MamaB: I saw my OB this morning for my postpartum appointment. After examining me she said since the mastitis seems to be improving she supports the wait and see approach. If redness gets worse, I start to feel bad again, or my temperature goes back above 100.4 I will take the antibiotics. If I do take the antibiotics I'll load up on probiotics. Thrush sounds awful.

DH was only too happy to get the 6 weeks post partum clearance. I was very nervous because it took a long time to comfortably have sex after LO1. This time is was pretty much fine. Just a little sensitivity. Hooray! We had been stressed about that for a long time. Now I've got to make a plan to get my workout on.

28. dc yoga bee

grapefruit / 4770 posts

@rosegold: I hope lo gets better!

@LindsayInNY: Planning to try soon. I'm 9 weeks postpartum this weekend!

29. cascademom

coconut / 8861 posts

@LindsayInNY: I waited until after the 6 week appointment to have sex. Let's just say that my OB stitched me up well. I felt like a virgin the first time. With a lot of lube, it wasn't bad. It took a few times to be comfortable again.

30. cascademom

coconut / 8861 posts

I'm getting a root canal on August 3rd. Go me. Around Fourth of July, I flossed and my tooth broke a bit. I went to an emergency dentist who noticed it was a deep cavity and suggested a root canal. He got out the decay and filled it. The sensitivity has been bad lately. I'm taking Motrin to feel better. My dentist prescribed Motrin similar to the postpartum strength to take the edge off. Fun times.

31. glitterboots

cherry / 103 posts

@MamaB: how do you know if you have thrush? She hasn't been eating well today. She keeps starting to eat then pops off crying. I don't know if she has a stomachache or if there's something wrong

32. MamaB

cherry / 234 posts

@glitterboots: LO had white patches on the inside of her cheeks and on her tongue. I also had a white spot on one of my nipples.

33. dc yoga bee

grapefruit / 4770 posts

@MamaB: my dd's tongue is perpetually white! Are there any other symptoms?

34. MamaB

cherry / 234 posts

@dc yoga bee: I mean, her tongue kind of stays white from the milk, but not with the patchy thrush spots. Symptoms for me were this horrible shar stabbing pain all the time in my breasts. Nursing was very uncomfortable.

Also, LO can pick up yeast in her diaper too. So, a rash is another indicator.

35. rpparker

apricot / 363 posts

Just getting up from a rough night...DD has consistently been sleeping in her bassinet for 3-4 (sometimes 5) hour stretches but last night she was all over the place. After an ok first hour or so, she just sort of cat napped either on me or my husband the rest of the night. I think just the combination of broken sleep for the past month and then a bad night has all come crashing on me this morning! I know once I have some coffee and a shower things will start looking up but man it's been hard! Maybe it's her way of celebrating being a month old? She was an angel baby at a restaurant for dinner so maybe it was payback!

I'm also finding that I have my best pumping output after a MOTN feeding but thy just means even less sleep!

Sorry for the rant! Hope everyone has a restful Saturday!

36. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@cascademom: I had an emergency root canal in the 2nd tri and I didn't take anything after it was fine because the pain was so much better. Good luck and I hope you get relief soon!

37. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@MrsBrewer: so cute!

38. dc yoga bee

grapefruit / 4770 posts

@MamaB: ah thanks. I had my dad look at her tongue and it's not thrush. Just milk residue.

39. badwolf

grape / 77 posts

@rpparker: We had a little bit of a rough night last night. For the last week C has been doing a 5.5 hr stretch every night with usually a 3.5-4 stretch afterward. Last night was closer to 4 early on, then no more than 2. It's still better than every 2 hr all night but my brain kept thinking it would get more so I'd start dreaming then be all irritable and disoriented when I woke up.

On the bright side, we made it through a whole day only using the boob hat once!

40. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

Sleep isn't awesome over here, either. Two nights ago, he was up every 1.5 hours (although that was clearly a growth-spurt night). Last night was back to our typical 3-hour stretches, but my toddler timed his two potty break scream-fests for the exact middle of two of them. Sad story.

Here's hoping for a better night tonight--it's starting to take a toll.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee