Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

June 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

@78h2o: thanks. Did you see the one I posted a few days ago from science of mom? That's the one that convinced me to go earlier. That and our struggles with p.

2. 78h2o

grapefruit / 4441 posts

@Jess1483: No, but I'll read it! I have definitely seen evidence both ways. Maybe it will sway me.

I should note, the article I posted is British and I find it a little judgy. I don't personally agree with everything in that article.

3. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

@78h2o: I just read it. Ahhh. Now I don't know what to do. Let me know once you read the science of mom one. She just reviews a ton of literature (and there's more in her book which I really like), and comes down in the "every baby is different, but earlier introduction (but still 4+ months) seems to reduce type 1 diabetes, allergies, and maybe celiac disease" camp.

Why can't scientists agree??

4. 78h2o

grapefruit / 4441 posts

@Jess1483: I can't find it, can you message me the link?

5. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

@78h2o: my phone wouldn't let me paste the link in a message. So it's here and in fb messenger 😀http://scienceofmom.com/2015/05/14/starting-solids-4-months-6-months-or-somewhere-in-between/

6. hocuspocus

apricot / 373 posts

@78h2o: I'm right there with you on the gut not being sealed until around 6 mos and the body not being ready to properly digest food. I think we're going to skip purées and just go for it. I'm planing on doing roasted sweet potatos, avocado and banana as her first foods. So exciting but kind of nervous about choking. I think I'll have numerous mini panic attacks in the beginning. Also I'm kind of OCD and dreading the huge mess that comes with baby starting solids lol

7. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

@78h2o: I read down into the comments on the article I posted and someone asked about the virgin gut. She says she can't find much solid science to back it up. Obviously, your article has some. She says "I keep meaning to write about this." Bummer she hasn't already...

Ugh, can't copy and paste, but look at her comment to Louise from June 2 where she directly responds to that article. http://scienceofmom.com/2015/05/28/4-signs-your-baby-is-ready-for-solid-foods/

I'm not trying to persuade you or anything. I just know you are good at research so if you read it all, I want to know which way you decide 😉

8. hocuspocus

apricot / 373 posts

@Jess1483: I found some good info about introducing solids on Dr. Sears website and Kelly Mom 😊

9. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

@hocuspocus: she refers to the kellymom article in her response. And actually, I'm team anti-dr-Sears as I feel the dr Sears family uses pseudo-science to sell products. So I'm disinclined to use research there.

10. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

@hocuspocus: also, I didn't mention because @78h2o: already knows this, but i waited until 6 months with DS1 and he refused solids for a long time and then we actually dealt with weight loss issues around 8 or 9 months, so I'm a bit traumatized.

11. 78h2o

grapefruit / 4441 posts

@Jess1483: thanks for the link! We are super busy today, so I only had time to skim, but after reading that article, I still think I'm going to aim for 6m. This is based in part on the fact that I started solids with Julia (mashed up sweet potatoe) at 6m and she didn't have any issues with food refusal or with allergies. I figure Holly is genetically similar to her, so I sort of want to do the same since it seemed to work out okay. I know you had a ton of issues with P, so I don't blame you for wanting to try a different approach this time. I think I would probably start earlier in your case.

All of the studies cited in that article seemed to recommend starting solids after 4m but no later than 26m. Many of the sources she cited seemed to say solids after 6m. She stated that the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology rec is apparently 4-6. I skimmed the article she linked (https://www.aaaai.org/Aaaai/media/MediaLibrary/PDF%20Documents/Practice%20and%20Parameters/Primary-prevention-allergic-disease-through-nutrition.pdf) and felt the recommendation there (for allergy prevention) was to exclusively bf for at least 4m, up to 6m. I didn't really see anything there to say that bf'ing up to 6m would increase risk. So basically, I think I still feel that starting right around 6m makes sense for us. It seems late enough for the gut to close, but not so late as to increase risk of allergies. My husband has significant mental health and GI issues, so that is also why I am erroring on the side of trying to prevent gut/GI issues. There is a lot of growing evidence linking the microbiome in the gut to these issues.

The other thing is that Holly doesn't sit up by herself or display other signs of readiness.

I'm going to keep reading, my stance may change - we'll see!

12. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

I keep trying to capture a pouty face, but no luck. I'll share this one instead.

13. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

@78h2o: thanks. That makes sense. Especially with a family history of GI issues. I have a history of food allergies (corn), and I feel like the allergy research is starting to trend toward earlier, so that makes sense for us (that and the traumatic feeding experience, haha). E doesn't sit on his own, but she says they can be supported as long as they are holding up their core, which he totally does.

You'd think this would be easier the second go-round, eh? Interested to see what you say after you read more.

14. 78h2o

grapefruit / 4441 posts

@Jess1483: I do actually have a few food allergies myself - walnuts, pecans, avocados, sulfites, etc. but none to egg, wheat, peanut, etc. I kind of feel like right at 6m is splitting the difference, but we'll see.

15. hocuspocus

apricot / 373 posts

@Eko: seriously SO adorable 😍

16. MrsBrewer

coconut / 8854 posts

I have J solids for the first time yesterday. We did oatmeal cereal, (dr advises against rice cereal because of constipation) she loved it. We only have her 2-3 teaspoons, but she did great! We're planning on starting slowly. Maybe 1-2 per week. She 4.5 months right now and showing definite signs of readiness!

17. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

I'm too embarrassed to post this as a non-gold on the main page... When did sex get easier/back to normal PP? We had sex once maybe 8-10 weeks PP, I can't even remember. I remember thinking it wasn't as bad as I anticipated but not yet the same. We tried this weekend and it was a disaster. Like non-finishing disaster. I tense up without knowing it, he can barely get all the way inside... And condoms don't help the situation either. DH is certainly frustrated and I feel bad because I obviously don't want things to be like this. Any advice? Does it just get better with time? I'd forego condoms but it's our only form of BC now.

18. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@LindsayInNY: have you tried using any lubrication? Things are still not back to normal for us, but I have not had the same tightening feeling. For me, things still have not shrunk up completely and I can still feel a slight tug where my tear was. Hope things get better! Might just take a little time.

19. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

@Eko: Last time we did. This weekend was with a condom which I thought would help but didn't. DH doesn't feel much but it's our BC so... I just feel super tight? I don't know if it's mental or not?

20. MrsSRS

nectarine / 2987 posts

@LindsayInNY: Definitely lube. And a glass of wine. And if that doesn't help, see your doctor!

21. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@LindsayInNY: I would second @MrsSRS: lube and wine. Sounds partially mental.

22. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

@MrsSRS: @Eko: Like lots of lube or just lube in general? I think the mental is me expecting the absolute worst and tensing up which obviously doesn't help.

23. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@LindsayInNY: maybe just lube in general and a lot of wine

24. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

@Eko: Haha. I did think about wine earlier... Probably couldn't hurt!

25. MrsSRS

nectarine / 2987 posts

@LindsayInNY: Lots of lube. If you're nursing your hormone balance can keep you from lubricating naturally so you might need some anyway, then you might need extra for being tense. If you drink, having a drink can help with the tensing up and expecting the worst. Can you try going slow? Lots of foreplay? Or do some "personal exploration" to reassure yourself that it won't hurt? Because if it hurts when you're relaxed you should go see your doctor.

26. dc yoga bee

grapefruit / 4770 posts

@LindsayInNY: It's still pretty painful, and I tense up really bad. I'll be 5 months postpartum Thursday. I don't drink, and no amount of KY jelly is making it any better. Instead, it makes me numb, and everything messy. We've done it 3x since having M, and last night was the third time. No Bueno.

@78h2o: @Jess1483: My ped gave me the sheet about starting solids at our 4 month apt, and I was like what about the AAP recommendation to breastfed or formula feed until 6 months!?! She said she still follows that, but some babies are ready sooner. Doesn't seem to square with the whole, "all they need is milk and milk alone!" I asked her about delaying solids to reduce allergies, and she said research is now pointing to starting no later than 6m to prevent allergies. I've read some articles on Kellymom, and will definitely read these links you've posted. I also haven't decided what to do in regards with baby led weaning or the purées route. I posted about starting rice or oatmeal cereal in another mom's group, and they all went on a tangent about baby led weaning like it was quite silly to feed baby such non-nutritional mess! I mean, we all are trying to do what's best for our babies. Sheesh!

27. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

@MrsSRS: I think all of your suggestions are necessary... Wine, for sure. But slowness and a lot more patience on DH's part too! I think we're going to keep trying every other night or something a bit more frequent to try and warm my body back up, lol. This sucks!

@dc yoga bee: Ugh, I'm glad I'm not alone but UGH!

28. 78h2o

grapefruit / 4441 posts

@LindsayInNY: I shouldn't be admitting this, but we still haven't even attempted. I am still having the prolapse issues which is making me not very motivated to try, as I feel like it's going to be uncomfortable. My OB recommended I see a urogynecologist, but I haven't been super excited to go do that! Ugh!

I tried to give Holly a bottle of pumped milk after a feed the other night to see if that would help her sleep, but she refused it! I was so annoyed - only 2 oz, but my stash is dwindling and I hate that I wasted it! Not doing that anymore! Of course, she still took the boob after rejecting the bottle (and I'd even tried having my husband give her the bottle). I think she is sleeping a little better though! Unfortunately my older daughter was up several times last night...I think she had growing pains in her legs as she was complaining about them hurting, and then maybe night terrors later on in the night. OMG, I am exhausted between the two of them!!!!

29. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

@78h2o: Oh no! Do you think she'd take the pumped milk first, and then nurse? That's what E does. I think he knows now that he only gets to nurse when he finishes the bottle, so he chugs it down. So sorry it was wasted I got my oversupply under control and now I worry about losing my stash...

Poor J! Luckily P has been sleeping pretty well lately, but I have the cough of death and woke him early this morning (it's pretty easy to hear from one room to the next). E only eats around 3:30 in the morning, but he does the scream of death every night around midnight. It's killing me!

30. 78h2o

grapefruit / 4441 posts

@Jess1483: No, that was the problem. I nursed her first. She woke around 12:30 and nursed for like 45min and STILL seemed hungry. I wanted so badly to sleep that I went and heated up pumped milk, but nope, she didn't want it. She must have already been full, though like I said, she still nursed. Maybe she was just comfort nursing. She did sleep though that night from 1:30-8, which hasn't happened in weeks, so maybe she was really tanking up? Maybe I will try it one more time with bottle first... that makes sense!

31. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

@78h2o: Ugh, I definitely don't blame you! I feel bad because DH is definitely frustrated but I'm trying not to pull the "I just had a baby" card either.

32. dc yoga bee

grapefruit / 4770 posts

@LindsayInNY: lol but you did just have a baby, and the vagina is definitely not the same! Maybe try being intimate without going all the way, and take the pressure of the act off a bit. For us, that starts with cuddling, and knowing there's no pressure of sex. Go slow!

33. 78h2o

grapefruit / 4441 posts

@LindsayInNY: I'm "lucky" in that my husband is taking meds right now that kill his libido. Mine is also low due to nursing, so we're both ok with just cuddling for now. Probably not the best for our relationship, but eh, it is what it is for now. It is hard though if you feel pressure or feel bad for DH. I used to have a pain issue many years ago called vulvar vestibulitis. It really sucked because I really wanted to be able to be intimate, but it hurt SO much. Waaaaay TMI, but I'd highly recommend a vibrator during sex + lube. Good luck!

ETA: Oh, FML, daycare told my husband today that Holly needs more milk! I was sending 12oz and they want 15. I've been sick and stressed due to work and no sleep, so today I only got 7 or 8oz at work. I'm thinking that maybe since I'm getting less pumping she is hungry with the same amount that used to be okay because she is not getting as much when she is nursing as she used to get?? I'm going to send 4.5oz bottles tomorrow and really try to get my supply up. I hope I don't have to go up to 15... that's going to be hard.

34. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

At E's 4 month appointment. She gave us the green light for solids. Her discouraging it would have been the only reason I'd have reconsidered, so we will be starting soon!

35. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@78h2o: That sounds really tough. Has it been getting better over the past day or so?

I was wondering if anyone had a hard time working when they went back to work. Not in a I miss my baby kind of way, but I feel soooo disoriented that it sometimes makes me really dizzy. Is it because I'm just tired and haven't had to work for the past 4 months?

36. rosegold

apricot / 428 posts

@Eko: that's a new one. possibly hormones still out of whack. hope you get some good advice.

the back pain. oh the back pain. i need a chiropractor immediately. can't believe my dude will be 18lbs at 5months. my freaking back.

37. MrsBrewer

coconut / 8854 posts

Just got back from the dr and J was diagnosed with bronchiolitis. She is miserable. He basically said to go home and get rest. If it gets worse to come back. My poor girl

Then I've been battling a milk Bleb for 2 months, this last week I was in tears at every nursing session. It finally broke open! But now, I think I have a clogged milk duct, I have a very tender sore spot on the breast itself. I just can't catch a break right now. And we are switching caregivers for J when I work, because my friend who was watching her is on hospital bedrest the rest of her pregnancy now!

38. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@MrsBrewer: sorry your LO is sick! Definitely sounds like you can't catch a break. Hopefully it'll get better soon.

39. 78h2o

grapefruit / 4441 posts

@MrsBrewer: ugh, that sucks! supposedly they are caused both by fat in the milk and by friction. Is her latch okay? Are you taking lecithin pills? Lecithin works really well for preventing clogs and blebs.

Hope you both feel better soon!

40. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

I can't believe I have a 5 month old! We took DD's 5-month pictures on Wednesday. She is getting really good at sitting up too! She can sit on the floor for at least 5-10 minutes before toppling.

E had been fighting a cold for the last week and a half. She is so stuffy! I took her to the pediatrician earlier this week because I thought it might have progressed to an ear infection but they said her ears look fine for now.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee