Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

June 2016 Postpartum Thread

1. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@futuremama: good to know! I was just nervous that I was setting up a habit that she needs to eat for 2 hours before sleeping! Glad they grow out of it

2. Mrs. Champagne

coconut / 8483 posts

@MrsKRB: ha exact same thing here! From like 8-10 she eats non stop! But then does a decent (usually) stretch of sleep. I can't remember when my son grew out of this phase. It's not my favourite. Haha.

3. futuremama

clementine / 854 posts

@Mrs. Champagne: @MrsKRB: DD1 was awful every night from 6-9. I'm hoping #2 is a little easier. I find that putting her in the Solly wrap really calms her down in between feedings. I think it lasted until 10 wks with #1. It could be a long 6 weeks!

4. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

@MrsKRB: I actually just read that is what helps the baby get more hindmilk.... which makes baby fuller.....Hense the stretch of sleep afterward! Neat.

5. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

@Alba4: pumping is no joke! Nice work and I hope you find a formula that works better. @Mrs. Champagne: @MrsKRB: same with bed time cluster feeds. I'm hoping to get longer than 3 hours in a stretch which is our current record time.@futuremama: the wraps save us, too

6. runnerd

pear / 1593 posts

Hi ladies! Having two kids seems to mean everyone always needs something, and I haven't adjusted well to how HB fits into that, so finally just caught up on reading this thread haha!!

LO will be 4 weeks Thurs, and I think the baby gods may have decided to bless us, because so far he has been an amazing little sleeper (2 stretches of 5-6 hours starting around 8pm), and I have to get up more with my toddler most nights. I am realizing just how difficult of a newborn in comparison my #1 was, so I feel like we earned our "easy" baby Older brother has always been a fun, but whirlwind of a kid, so it's great that baby is kind of going with the flow.

7. starlitsky

clementine / 795 posts

@runnerd: wow that's amazing! Are you breastfeeding? Any tips for getting longer stretches of sleep overnight or do you think he's just a good sleeper?

Is anyone trying to get their LO on a schedule or still feeding on demand?

8. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@starlitsky: Still feeding on demand here. I tried a Eat-Play-Sleep routine with a rough 3 hour schedule, but it was too stressful so I gave up haha.

9. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@starlitsky: I'm trying to get to a 3 hour schedule. I'm totally a schedule person and worked great with ds1. This guy hasn't been able make it three hours consistently so I've been just aiming for EASY cycles until he is ready. He's getting really close but gas/pooping tends to mess him up and he keeps hitting growth spurts.

10. runnerd

pear / 1593 posts

@starlitsky: I FF so I'm sure that helps! LO #1 was still up constantly at this age though, so I think it's baby's personality too!

I won't try to do a schedule beyond feedings until around 6-8 weeks (4 weeks tomorrow!) I'm not much of a schedule person though. LO1 we didn't form a schedule until he got older and it naturally fell into place, but now we kind of live by it lol

11. starlitsky

clementine / 795 posts

@MrsKRB: I'm still feeding on demand too but feel like I should start looking into schedules just to see what's out there. Will look up Eat Play Sleep!

@brownepiano: Same with my little guy (gas/pooping and growth spurts)! I'll look up EASY.

@runnerd: I'm sure it's a combination of FF and personality! Enjoy your easy baby! I'm not sure if I'm much of a schedule person either but if it helps with getting longer stretches of sleep I'm willing to give it a try!

12. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@starlitsky: You can look into the Baby Whisperer book. That's where EASY comes from. It's the same thing as eat play sleep.

13. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@brownepiano: any tips on how to get baby to fall asleep without the boob? I tried the EASY schedule, but it ended up being EAES lol because that's pretty much the only way she will fall asleep. I also never get any 'Y' time because the second I put her down she wakes up.

14. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@starlitsky: eat/play/sleep is EASY, it's from the baby whisperer!

15. starlitsky

clementine / 795 posts

@MrsKRB: Haha EAES! My baby likes to fall asleep after eating too but I'm going to try to keep him awake afterwards during the day. And I was wondering whether Eat Play Sleep was the same as EASY! Reading up on it now.

@brownepiano: How would a 3 hour schedule on EASY work?

16. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@MrsKRB: lots of trying and right amount of wake time. If I can catch him right when he's tired but not over tired I rock him till his eyes are closing then lay him down with the pacifier. Half the time I have to give it back to him and pat him on the back a few times before he goes to sleep. Sometimes I have to feed him to sleep but I save that as a last resort. Some days are just terrible and he will only sleep on me, but other days we make progress. It's a slow road.

17. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@starlitsky: The time starts as soon as you start a feeding. So, feed him then keep him awake after the feeding until he starts to look sleepy (yawning, avoiding your eyes, acting fussy). Wake times for newborns are somewhere between 30-60 min. My guy's is about 45 min to an hour. Then put him down for a nap and try to get him to sleep till the next 3 hour cycle should start (for me that's a 2 hour nap). Sometimes he goes to sleep in 10 minutes. Sometimes it's 30 mins of giving him back the pacifier and patting his back ending in feeding to get him to go to sleep. If he wakes up early, you can either try to rock him back to sleep, hold him, or let him get up. If he seems hungry, feed and start the time over again.

Oh and it's all approximate times. If he wakes up 10 min early, I consider that pretty good.

18. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

Can you tell it's nap time for both my boys? This is the first time in a few days they've lined up, but I had to feed LO2 to sleep to make it happen. I'll might like EASY but I'll do whatever it takes to get a double nap!

19. starlitsky

clementine / 795 posts

@brownepiano: Thanks for the tips! Will give it a try and see how it goes. Any advice on introducing a pacifier? I tried a couple of times but he keeps spitting them out.

20. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@starlitsky: On that, I'm not sure. Some kids just don't like them! My guy isn't a fan, but he'll take it when he's tired. He would much rather nurse to sleep, but I just keep giving him the pacifier back instead. Sometimes he'll just fall to sleep without it and gets mad if I try to give it to him!

21. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@starlitsky: my dd won't take one either. It would make it SO much easier if she liked them!

22. runnerd

pear / 1593 posts

@starlitsky: in case I sound rested talking about baby, thought I would add that although baby only got up twice last night, I also had to get up three other times with my toddler!!! Something isn't right about that.... Lol!!

23. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@brownepiano: Thanks for the tips! It's a good reminder to keep trying and that it's not always going to go as planned I'm totally type A and I get frustrated when things don't go my way.

24. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@MrsKRB: I'm really type A too and obsessed over DS 1 sleep schedule. I'm trying really hard to not obsess with this guy because it just makes everyone miserable!

25. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

@brownepiano: DOUBLE NAP!!!

26. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

Baby girl needs to wear this all day for the next 3 weeks at least due to a slight hip problem.

Mommy guilt is huge. I cried a few times yesterday. Sleep tonight has been rough. She did one 2.5 hr stretch then cried ever since.....😢😢😢😢

I wish I could just sleep with her on me for night and naps......but then there's her twin ..... 🙁🙁

27. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@meadow: oh poor girl that's gotta be tough! Is it just supposed to help the hips be in the right place?

28. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

@MrsKRB: yeah....so joint stays firmly in socket.. seems like 3 months is a typical duration 🙁🙁

I just keep thinking how much less snuggly we will be....how she won't get to roll over....how we can't have the babies sleep together bc she's too squirmy without a swaddle.

Doesn't help my mental state that BFing seems to have taken a turn for the worse for no good reason.

I'm in a rough place today.......

29. Alba4

nectarine / 2951 posts

@meadow: Hang in there! You are doing a great job!

I had a tough day alone with my 2 boys yesterday. It started out great when we had a successful morning visit to the park, but it went downhill in the afternoon. My toddler was so naughty, especially after he refused his nap (he religiously takes a 2.5-3 HR nap). I'm hoping Saturday goes more smoothly when I have them alone again.

30. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@meadow: wow! That really stinks. She'll be a trooper by the end and thankfully never remember it. Does she have to wear it all day?

Hugs. Bf always has its ups and downs. Don't get too discouraged!

31. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

@Alba4: thanks!!

@brownepiano: all day - yup. 24 hrs minus bathing & tummy time. Neither of which happens in any sort of predictable way......so there realistically could be days she doesn't get out.

I'm just worried the way the twins are eating super shallow latch & barely sucking is going to cause me to dry up...........

Also apparently when I draw smiley faces in the middle of the night they turn out as 3 dots. Wow.

32. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

@meadow: You did not do this! And by catching it early, you are really helping her. You are a great mom.

33. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

@Alba4: Oh man. I hope it goes better next time!

34. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

How is everyone feeling physically? How is sleep? How is sex? Life? The big siblings?

35. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

@pastemoo: physically...I'd say I recovered well......weird squishyness in my belly will hopefully get better eventually. Sleep pre-harness was getting better. We were feeding on 3 hrs cycles which got me up to a 2hr chunk at night. Glorious. Past couple nights have been rougher ..sometimes less than 2hr cycles...ugh. will get better...just tell myself that!! Sex? Yeah no. Hah. Will revisit that when sleep or free time exist. But life is good. Rewarded by baby snuggles every once in a while. Today...lots of snuggles with my little girl!!

36. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@pastemoo: physically I'm feeling pretty much back to normal (except a little fluffy!). Sleep has been going pretty going well, she usually gets up at 3 and 6 am - but getting her down for the night is tough, she is wired from 7-10 or 11. No sex! Haha, but I still have the excuse that I haven't been cleared yet (6 weeks on Thursday!).

37. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

Ok this feels like a very silly question......but I'm going to ask anyway.

Do your babies wear sleep n play outfits? If so....during what part of the day?

38. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@pastemoo: physically ok. Baby takes a lot of work to get back to bed at night some nights so was getting pretty worn out and cranky with my toddler. But this weekend I pumped at 8 ish and then went to bed and let my husband do the first feeding (around 11 pm) and then slept till the next at 2. It was glorious! I don't know if we'll keep doing it because it means less sleep for him but I feel much more able to cope again. Big brother loves the little guy, we just have to try to keep him off of him!

39. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@meadow: I have some, but no, he hasn't worn them since we came home from the hospital. He just wears onsies all the time. We don't even bother with pants. I have some overall's he wears to church but that's it. If we had snapped rompers I would put him in those. It is just too hot!

40. MMcAlli

cherry / 154 posts

@meadow: my little guy just wears them at night, I get worried he will get cold because he always kicks off his covers.

@pastemoo: I'm feeling pretty normal. I've had sex a couple of times. Ouch. As for sleep I get enough to function. My little guy won't sleep in his crib. I've tried everything. He will only sleep for small chunks which mean I get very little sleep. So we usually start in the recliner & then get into my bed. It's such a bad habit to start but I feel like this is the only way I'll get any sleep. how are you doing?

Does anyone LO never let them put them down? My little guy wants to be held all the time. We have small stretches of "play time" sitting in different things but once he is done he cries till someone picks him up & holds him till next feeding. This literally exhaust me. Like I can't get anything done or heck even go pee without him screaming. I baby wear for the most part but I was wondering if anyone had experience breaking this?!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee