Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

March 2016 moms

1. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@Alivoo01: ugh...it was so frustrating. Within a week of going back to work she would only nurse at night. I quickly was unable to keep up with her (I was only able to pump twice at work) and therefore had to supplement. The minute she got formula she totally rejected the BM. I almost cried when I threw out 70oz...

She was eating...like legit eating. It was usually 15-25 min per side...she'd fuss when she finished the one side so I would switch and she'd start right back up. She is also a comfort sucker - so if it got really ridiculous I'd just give her a paci and if she was happy with that I knew it was just comfort sucking.

So side note...I always nursed K on both sides at each feed. My sister I have noticed this time around only nurses her son on one side...but he seems to be hungry quite frequently. What did you all do? Both sides or one per feed?

2. mrsrain

nectarine / 2115 posts

@Mrs D: Early on I would nurse her, then pump immediately for a little while to try to stimulate more milk production. It was exhausting! This time I might try nursing him on one side while I pump the other-- sometimes that is more effective.

3. Mrs. Cookie

blogger / persimmon / 1225 posts

@Alivoo01: so happy to hear your good news about DD!

@Mrs D: I pumped colostrum in the hospital because DS was jaundice. After that I stopped until he was one month. Then I started pumping and saving and having hubby or my mom feed him once in awhile. Of course I couldn't stay away too long because I'd get too full. I had borderline oversupply. And thrush, that was awful!!

I want to say I offered both sides each feed. DS dropped middle of the night feeds pretty early on but I literally nursed him all day. (SAHM)
    On the other hand my sister's son refused to take a bottle. Still never really has. He started daycare at 7 months and would eat during the day but basically drink nothing, it was crazy. But I guess my sister did the same thing to my mom!

At some point I got into a routine of pumping every night at 10 pm. I had a nice freezer stash and even donated some of my milk to a mama friend. This time around I don't know if I'll have the energy too to build a big freezer stash! My main goal is to avoid thrush!

4. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@mrsrain: I think I may take this approach around 2 weeks - when her and I start to figure each other out.

@princessandthebee: This is another thing I have thought of...maybe adding another pump 1 hour after her last "evening" nurse or 1 hour before her first morning one (harder to guess of course). I need to build up more of a stash this time - and now I have somewhere I can donate even if its less than 100oz so I dont have to worry about going through the trauma of throwing out frozen breast milk.

Dr appointment this AM was good. Still hanging out at 2cm and 50% - which I am so grateful for! I know it means nothing...but I just didnt want to feel like a ticking time bomb...which I know I am anyways...but still glad these contractions I am having at night are not doing too much!

Also - Dr was a bit worried the nausea inducing flips I was feeling could have been her turning head up...but thankfully that is not the case. She said she is certainly head down - and engaged to the point she likely wont flip (anything is possible). And lastly, I am one of the anomalies who was GBS+ for K and - for this one. So only required to be in the hospital for 1 night. Actually - kind of bummed...I really like being around professionals and knowing we are in good care...newborns scare the crap out of me...

5. Mrs. Cookie

@Mrs D: The late night pump got me so much milk, but we didn't have to send any to daycare. Although I'd say we did a bottle a day for months so Daddy could feed him too.

I would do an evening session before your bed time and then instead of waking up early, (ugh), maybe pump a little after the first feed of the day because they say that's when you are fullest. You'll probably still get some even after she's done eating!

Also, it wasn't until I stopped pumping at 10 months pp that I got my period back. I was still nursing during the day but I swear I gave up being attached to the pump ever night and got my period back the following week!

Glad baby girl is head down and you're remaining steady! I also feel like a ticking time bomb. I stayed two nights even though I was negative on GBS last time. And I had DS at 3:45 AM on a Tuesday so we didn't leave until Thursday at lunch. It felt long but it was nice to have the help!

Oh and I'm so sick of everyone in my family saying, I'd like the baby to come this day or this weekend or whatever. Baby doesn't care, he'll come whenever and we'll all have to work around it!

6. sailgrl18

cherry / 127 posts

@Mrs D: At first I offered both sides but it turned out I had oversupply so I had to switch to block feeding otherwise he had green poops. So I would only feed on one side for a 4 hour block then switch to the other. Once my supply regulated I went back to offering both sides.

7. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

@Mrs D: This is a great idea, to hand off the newborn when your husband gets home and have some time with the toddler. I also like the idea of having dedicated dates, I wonder if we could do this once a week? Even if we just go for a bike ride or something, I love the idea of having a plan to have mommy/B time.

And I always nursed on both sides but I had supply problems, so I feel like it was necessary to keep him fed. Which reminds me - I should maybe pre-make some lactation granola bars to have on hand.

Great news both about the head down and the GBS-! I had my test yesterday, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'm negative again. It's funny, with B we were initially mad about the C section because it meant we had to stay in the hospital for 36 hours (as opposed to the 4 hours you have to stay after a vaginal birth when you have a midwife) but 4 hours after he was born my husband looked at me with huge eyes and said "Can you imagine if they were sending us home now? We don't know how to take care of this baby!"

@princessandthebee: I got into the habit of pumping at 4am every day - 10pm sounds like a much better idea! I didn't really start pumping until B was 7 months old and I thought I might like to go out for an evening, and I had recently dropped his 4am feed so I thought "I'll just get up and pump that milk instead!" Ugh, when I think about all the sleep I missed collecting milk that ended up in the garbage...

People are putting in requests for arrival time? Wow, I would want to murder somebody. You're not scheduling a flight!

The good news from my midwife appointment: my amniotic fluid levels are "totally fine" (11.4cm). She also said that she doesn't know why the OB freaked out in the first place because on the report it says "low-normal".

The bad news from my midwife appointment: my least favourite midwife is on call the day my c section is scheduled for, and I've gained EIGHT POUNDS in the last two weeks. Yikes. Looks like it's time to take a step back from the "I'm pregnant, I can eat whatever I want" mentality.

8. Alivoo01

wonderful olive / 19353 posts

@Mrs D: I would offer DS both sides, but he only ate from one side at each feeding.

70oz out the window?! *crying for you* All your hard work... Yay for GBS negative though and for her being heads down! And LOL at your comment about having extra help at the hospital! So true!!

@princessandthebee: LOL! Silly ppl for inserting unrelated comments. *rolls eyes*

@erinbaderin: Yay for great fluid level. 11cm is totally good! Crazy OB for scaring you for no reason!

9. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@princessandthebee: I had no problem drying up either...I honestly think it took me like 1 week, and then boom within 4 weeks I had my period back! I could have gone longer without it - that would be ok!

Ugh...dont get me started on family. I love love love my mom so much but her anxiety about not being here when I go into labor is driving me up a wall. My due date has not changed...its your fault you scheduled your flight back for Mar 1....dont cry to me about it!!! I have other things to worry about!!!

@sailgrl18: good to know I was not alone on the both sides! And oh how I dont miss infant poop...

@erinbaderin: Great news from your appointment...and so what on the weight gain...keep indulging! Mind sharing the granola bar recipe?! I cannot fathom going home after 4 hours...I was so uncomfortable I needed the support - plus I just generally like the idea of a little more oversight early on...especially with how delirious I was right after having her...

@Alivoo01: It was devastating. I called a few places about donating but they wouldnt take anything under 70oz. Now I have found a resource who will take anything...so I dont have to worry about that trauma again!

10. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

When your husband breaks the baby monitor 3 weeks before your baby comes...ughhhhhh

11. Mrs. Cookie

@Mrs D: Oh man that bites!

12. creativemomma15

pear / 1610 posts

Ok, let me try to catch up with everyone here...

@Mrs D: Oh no! Sorry about your monitor! That's the worst.

As for nursing & pumping... I always fed my kids on both sides. With DS I was paranoid about supply and actually had to get up and pump in the middle of the night to maintain it once he was sleeping through the night. With DD I didn't have to do that thankfully. My kids usually went to bed early and did a long stretch so it was easy to pump before I went to bed then and get some a stash going that way. Sometimes I was super full in the morning and DD would only eat on one side so I would pump the other.

As for me... I had a good appointment on Tuesday. Nothing really too exciting. The OB said she is head down and he is guessing she will be upper 7lbs. We also talked some more about VBAC stuff. He said he would be okay with letting me get to and past 40 weeks but didn't expect that to happen with my history of delivering early. And, as of today... I am officially the most pregnant I've ever been! Haha. I woke up this morning to some light cramping and pink spotting so we will see if things start to get moving soon. I am feeling anxious but ready. It's been a few weeks of feeling like "any day now" and that gets tiring too.

13. Mrs. Cookie

@erinbaderin: Meh, pregnancy weight is so crazy, I say it's mostly swelling, water weight, and baby at the end!

@Mrs D: Haha, oh your mom, that is funny. Hopefully she makes it back but yea, not your prob! My mom has something scheduled for March 5th 1.5 hours away, the day before my due date and I'm slightly annoyed. But I guess people can't stop their lives, except she's my childcare for DS! If she can't go, she won't go, but sometimes I just like her other commitments are more important than family. Which is crazy I know, and these are commitments? they are church and God related so that makes me feel worse!

@creativemomma15: Glad your appt was normal and good! I totally agree, this waiting business and "any day now" stuff gets really exhausting. I did this last time too.It's impossible not to!

14. Navy_Mommy

nectarine / 2458 posts

I have my appointment today, but my appointments are pretty boring, lol. She basically comes and listens to me complain for a bit, measures my belly, listens to the heartbeat, and leaves. Lol. I will say she's great at validating my complaints while making me feel better, haha, she should be a therapist.

I probably won't have another appointment till my due date unless something seems off. Which is CRAZY. And I'm only 3 days away from when I went into labor with my first. BUT I'm not feeling labor-y at all. I'm guessing I won't have a baby till the first or second week of March.

15. Alivoo01

@Mrs D: Oh no!! Hope it gets fixed soon!!! I told DH we're about 2 weeks out from our induction date. I want everything DONE next week. I let it go this long already, and that's enough!

@creativemomma15: Yay for a good appointment!

@Navy_Mommy: So great to hear you're having an awesome experience with your midwife! And the fact she comes to you, man! Even better!

16. Alivoo01

Crazy to think February is slowly closing out, which means the first March babies are due to make an appearance anytime now!! Eep!!

I got tested for my GBS yesterday along with getting my cervix checked for dilation. I'm at 1cm and -3. Hoping I progress some more before my induction date in 2 weeks. I was 2cm and 50% effaced with DS during this week so we'll see! If not, they might admit me a day before my induction date to have cervadil inserted the night before.

17. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

@Mrs D: This is the granola bar recipe I used: http://www.thecocinamonologues.com/2013/07/17/lactation-granola-bars/ It was really good! I used to add chocolate chips, dried cherries, pecans, and coconut.

What did your husband do to the monitor? That sucks! I saw your other post - we have the Motorola and really like it, is there a reason you don't just want to buy another one with a second camera?

@creativemomma15: Fingers crossed that this is the beginning of the end!

@princessandthebee: Swelling, water weight and baby sounds good to me - basically anything I can use to justify the chocolate chip muffin I really want to eat right now. Last time I got really stressed about the idea of hitting my due date and going into the "any day now" mode, and then found out he was breech, had a c section scheduled, and went into "Wait, no, I'm not ready!" mode instead. You can't win!

@Navy_Mommy: That's more or less what my midwife appointments are like too, I wish mine would come to my house! That IS crazy that you won't have another appointment until your due date, they've got me going in weekly (which, when combined with the weekly ultrasounds and the twice weekly chiropractor appointments means I'm missing a LOT of work).

18. Navy_Mommy

nectarine / 2458 posts

@erinbaderin: my due date is only like a week and a half away. Weekly appointments just mess with the boys' schedules too much. Every 10 days is a lot less overwhelming for me. After 40 weeks I'll have to do every week at the least. I'm pretty sure if I hit 41 she'll come twice that week because you need to monitor baby more at that point.

19. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@creativemomma15: Yay for the good appointment and maybe beginnings of something. Thanks for the info on nursing/pumping...

@Navy_Mommy: Thats nice they are flexible with you on the frequency of appointments. Its annoying going every week for sure...

@Alivoo01: Yay for 1cm...I dont remember the station numbers...I dont feel like my Drs get into those much...

My boss had cervadil but was sent home to sleep after they inserted. Then she was due back the next morning for the induction...

I cant believe its coming this quick...maybe we should start a Labor board in anticipation?!!?!

@erinbaderin: Thanks for the recipe...I'm looking at it now...

So DH dropped it...he tried to act like he didnt and that the monitor just started "acting up" but come on? I knew he was lying but didnt want to fight so I just let it go. He eventually confessed...it was funny...like dealing with a child. I told him "I knew you broke it the minute you said it was acting funny...I'm just glad you confessed...dont feel bad it could have just as easily been me"...seriously it was like talking to a child!!!

I may just buy another motorola monitor/camera set - then see if I can pair my existing camera to it...so I'd have two cameras...

20. Bubbles

persimmon / 1328 posts

Hey ladies, it's been a while and I am SO behind! It has taken us a few weeks to get set up with Internet in our new place! I have caught up a bit on the last few updates, I hope everyone is still doing good!

We have had a very intense last few weeks but we are finally pretty much unpacked and settled in to our new home, the baby stuff is set up, freezer meals and padsicles are made, and there's not much left to do for baby! So I am looking forward to resting up a bit and spending some time with DS before my due date next Sunday! Saw the midwife today and all is looking good, fingers crossed for a spontaneous delivery this time 😊

21. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

@Navy_Mommy: Oh wow, that's so soon! It's nice that she's willing to be flexible with your appointments, she sounds great. Hopefully you'll never have to find out what happens if you hit 41!

@Mrs D: That's pretty funny! Personally, I would just buy another one and then use the camera as your second camera - that would probably be cheaper than buying a whole new 2 camera system, right? We bought a second camera for ours and it linked up no problem.

@Bubbles: Sounds like you've been busy! Glad you're feeling all set up and ready to go.

22. Navy_Mommy

nectarine / 2458 posts

All is still well. Baby has a strong heartbeat. My blood pressure is still just borderline high. Belly measuring about a week big. Baby is in position.

The midwife brought some kids books about homebirth for me/the boys to read. And my next appointment is March 1 - my due date!

23. mrsrain

nectarine / 2115 posts

@Navy_Mommy: I can't believe how close you are!

I had a rough night and day! I was awoken by a contraction at 2am (that felt "real" compared to my BH contractions), at which point I realized my head was killing me. I was up and down all night with contractions, persistent urge to pee, and headache pain. Thankfully the contractions were never really timeable, and DH was able to stay home today and care for DD so I could sleep. Also had a regular appointment with my midwife, so we know that my BP is normal and my urine is clear. Doesn't look like pre-e, which is a relief, though they did do a blood draw just to check for a couple of other indicators. I asked about the contractions and she said at this point they don't try to stop labor if it begins, so to just treat any contractions as I would BH unless they get longer/stronger/closer together (or bleeding, etc, of course). Finally feeling a little better and hoping for a more restful night tonight. Also hoping Oliver stays in for a few more weeks, although I wouldn't mind if he came a BIT early, like his big sister!

24. mrsrain

nectarine / 2115 posts

Hey, anyone else dealing with urine leakage? So embarrassing!

25. Navy_Mommy

nectarine / 2458 posts

@mrsrain: it's weird lol. I have moments of, "please dear God let me go into labor already" and moments of, "please dear God don't come yet."

My hormones are going bananas. I'm breaking out like a teenager in puberty and having hot flashes like I'm in menopause. The midwife says that's a sign the end is near, lol. I think it's a sign my hormones are driving me nuts lol.

26. creativemomma15

pear / 1610 posts

Sooo... Baby girl is here!!! From first official contraction to her arrival was 4 hours. Crazy & I still can't believe it. Will update more later

27. Bubbles

persimmon / 1328 posts

@creativemomma15: omg massive congrats! That is so fast! Enjoy the newborn snuggles 😊💜

@mrsrain: Glad you are doing ok and no pre e! Get lots of rest!

@erinbaderin: Thank you so much!

28. momtimes3

cherry / 109 posts

Congrats!!! Cant wait to hear whole story

29. Lilbear

apricot / 451 posts

@creativemomma15: congratulations!!!!! Can't wait to hear the update!!!!!

30. Navy_Mommy

nectarine / 2458 posts

@creativemomma15: congrats!

31. mrsrain

nectarine / 2115 posts

@creativemomma15: ahhh! So exciting! Congratulations, mama!

32. mrsrain

nectarine / 2115 posts

33. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

@creativemomma15: Eeek, a March baby already! Congratulations!

34. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@creativemomma15: congrats!!! So exciting...can't wait to hear about it!!!

@mrsrain: yup...it's another reason I am wearing liners!!! Glad your contractions slowed down and you got some rest!

@Navy_Mommy: I go thru the same back n forth...wanting to have her and wanting her to stay put...dh is firmly ready....

35. Navy_Mommy

nectarine / 2458 posts

@mrsrain: if it's more than just some when you sneeze or laugh let your doctor know. It could be a sign of a UTI. And I promise you don't want a UTI when you go in labor.

36. mrsrain

nectarine / 2115 posts

@Navy_Mommy: I think the issue is a weak pelvic floor combined him him being head down. If I don't go as soon as I feel the urge I find I'm a little damp when I do go

37. Mrs. Cookie

@creativemomma15: yay! Congrats, can't wait to hear more!

38. Mrs. Cookie

@Navy_Mommy: exactly how I feel too, lol!

39. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@mrsrain: me exactly...

Plus anyone else feel like their little one is scratching the inside of their uterus?!?!

40. MrsLilybugg

pear / 1650 posts

@creativemomma15: congrats !!!!!!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee