Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

New Year, New Babes - January 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@HappyBaker: That's awesome! WTG!

@SleepyMonkey: I think it seemed daunting when I was in my head and I had so many people tell me how hard it was for them but honestly, once I got past that, it was pretty easy. Now A is in a great routine and we're transitioning her to her crib.

2. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@Mrs. Blue: Just thought you should know that I made this tonight: http://www.hellobee.com/2014/03/07/crockpot-pork-tenderloin-that-will-make-you-cry/ ...and, GIRL. Thank you for sharing--so delicious!!

3. keepcalmcarrie

persimmon / 1096 posts

How is everyone doing?

I am just so, so tired. All my new mom adrenaline has worn off. We're getting another snow storm tomorrow-Thursday. My toddler is stir crazy. H is all over the place with eating, sleep, etc. We're taking a 5 hour road trip Friday to visit DH's best friend and his family for a long weekend - which I'm sure will be fun, but also has the potential to be an epic fail with sleep for everyone involved.

On the plus side, the fussiness has lessened considerably and sleep is getting marginally better. Usually 9-1 or 10-2, then another 3 hours after that. After 4 or 5 AM, it's just a grab bag of cosleeping and frustration.

I am so ready for spring, and warmer weather, and the much more fun infant stage. I love H dearly, and I've enjoyed some things about his newborn days (the cuddles, the emerging smiles), but I'm ready to move on

4. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@keepcalmcarrie: I hear you on losing the new mom adrenaline, lady. I feel like mine's been gone for weeks. And I go back to work in two weeks, so...yeah. We'll see how that goes! But, SO glad to hear that things are looking up, though--I hope you start getting more consistent rest soon!

5. keepcalmcarrie

persimmon / 1096 posts

Also, I'm down to pre-preg weight, but I definitely have a spare tire thing going on. I bought a bikini as motivation to eat well and start exercising, but #1 isn't going so well and #2... well, I haven't exercised in probably 6 months. Maybe more.

UGHHHH. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer. I always feel better in the mid-morning once I've had something resembling a night's sleep and a cup or two or coffee. But at night and first thing in the morning - yikes.

Anyone getting bizzay? That is so uninteresting to me right now, but it's been a really long time (I'm not big on third tri sex) and DH has the sads about it.

6. keepcalmcarrie

persimmon / 1096 posts

@mfa_lady: This is the hardest point, I think! Baby is not brand new anymore, you get one or two great stretches of sleep and think things are turning a corner only to realize it's a tease, you're kind of your old self but not really... ugh, weeks 6-8 are rough (at least in my experience).

I cannot imagine going back to work - but I'm starting my part-time work-from-home writing gig again in two weeks, and even that is scary. On the other hand, I would love to talk to some adults besides my DH. We live in a new area and I don't know anyone yet. I talk to my husband, my babies, and, every two weeks, my cleaning lady. It's sad.

7. Mrs. Blue

blogger / pomelo / 5361 posts

@mfa_lady: yay! I loooove that recipe!

8. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@keepcalmcarrie: regarding spare tires - DD pointed to my still floppy belly today and said "baby brother in there??" I was like ummm no but thanks for making me feel fat!

I go back to work next Thursday and am really excited about it. I love my job and our daycare so it's easier for sure, and I am just so bored at home / have been shopping a lot to fill the time

9. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

Omg the exhaustion is killing my brain - i can't think straight anymore. I've definitely hit that point where the adrenaline is gone. B isn't even a bad sleeper, really, i just have such high sleep needs. LO1 is actually the one exhausting me, she's the one we can't get to sleep until 10 and now she's randomly refusing to nap. LO2 is only awake for like 4-5 hours a day still.

I still haven't quite finished bleeding yet pp, it's crazy to me how many of you have your periods back. I didn't get it until 10.5 months last time.

10. turquoisemama

persimmon / 1481 posts

@keepcalmcarrie: Sorry you're having such a hard time. I'm struggling with body stuff too. I've never had a dream robl m with weight befor so this is all new to me. It doesn't help that summer is coming quick and I'll probably have to get a new swimsuit since my boobs are so huge now!

Regarding getting busy...I still have to wait until the end of the week. At my PP visit two weeks ago my OB said my uterus was still big and to wait another 3 weeks. I cannot wait! Haha, my drive has been off the charts. I'll be getting an IUD next week, so it's condoms until then.

@HappyBaker: I've got quite the spare tire too and it doesn't help that my skin is all stretchy and soft too. I made it throught my whole pregnancy without getting stretch marks, until two days before I delivered. My stomach had a bunch, but my boobs are totally covered. So sad to see the end of my perky, pre-pregnancy boobies.

I don't go back to work until April but I sm so scared! It's been so long and it's going to be hard to get back into the swing of things, not to mention leaving the LO.

@Radish: So I thought I was getting my period, but now I think it's just a little residual PP bleeding. I stopped bleeding 4 weeks PP then it started again, but it's so light that I doubt this is a period.

This coming week is going to be hard for me. It would have been my grandfathers 92nd birthday. He passed away in May right after I found out I was pregnant. I wanted to tell him so bad, but by the time we got there he was already drugged up and sleeping. I wish so hard that he could meet K.

11. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@keepcalmcarrie: Yes! I completely agree with you. And I hear you on the adult interaction. I'm terrified of going back to work...but excited to talk about things not related to poop and picture books for a few hours a day. Granted, I know I'll probably be pumping and crying because I'm not with her, but...I'll find a happy balance, hopefully.

@Radish: Holler at the high sleep needs. I'm happiest if I get AT LEAST 8 (9 is better!) hours in my pre-baby life. Sheesh.

As for getting busy, we finally did this past weekend. Only once. I was scared! At my postpartum appointment, the midwife told me to wait a while longer because some of the tissue near one of my stitch sites was still healing. So, it took 8 weeks for us. Yikes.

I also have a bit of diastasis, so am trying to do the recommended exercises so it goes back to normal. I still look kinda pregnant, even though I'm three pounds from my pre-preg weight. Ugh!

Also, you guys. BABY SLEEP IS THE MYSTERY OF THE WORLD. E is still often throwing a fit at bedtime, and this morning DH had to be up super early for work so I gave in and let her go to bed last night in the Rock and Play because he really needed to sleep. And guess what? SHE SLEPT FOR 8 HOURS. What the heck? I had to wake her up to feed her this morning. Honestly, I think it might be reflux (makes sense, since she throws a hissy fit when we lay her down flat in the crib...) so we'll have to figure out if we should incline her mattress, etc. But yeah. While we're figuring it out, I might let her keep sleeping in the RNP for a couple days even if it's a habit we have to break later. Mama needs her sleep! It was such a bummer that she slept so long this morning because DH and I were still up at 5 because of his alarm. Boo! Maybe she can repeat tonight.

12. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

Oh, also. To all the working mamas out there--any tips for keeping up supply when you return to work? For some reason, I'm really concerned that I won't be able to pump enough for her even though I have no reason to believe that'll be the case. I've got some brewer's yeast coming from Amazon today and I'm going to make a big batch of lactation cookies (which my husband thought were cookies made with breastmilk when I first mentioned them, ha!). Would love any other advice, too! I go back to work in a week and a half.

13. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@keepcalmcarrie: i hear you on the spare tire thing. i'm am starting to think it is permanent...i guess i could start exercising but i just don't have the motivation right now either. i'm all about more sleep. sleep always wins over exercise.

@Radish: i have really high sleep needs too. 8 hours is decent. anything less than 7 hours is brutal. we had really bad sleep with our toddler too, where she wasn't going down until 10pm. we were laying down with her because she'd cry and scream if we didn't. but that was actually making the problem worse because all she wanted to do was play. a few weeks ago, we told her that she needs to go to sleep by herself, etc....which to my surprise, worked out really well. And now she is asleep usually between 8:30-9pm. also, my pp bleeding stopped exactly at 6 weeks.

@MrsHansen82: so sorry that this week is going to be tough for you emotionally. big hugs.

@mfa_lady: if you haven't had supply issues thus far, i wouldn't worry too much. i was so worried about it with dd1 when i went back to work, and i only pumped 2x in a 10 hour workday...my supply was super consistent the whole time. i know i'm not being helpful with advice, but i worried so much about stuff that hadn't even happened yet with #1 and it made me so stressed out, for no reason. i guess that is easy to say in retrospect...i guess my advice is...don't stress too much!

we are getting so many smiles and coos over here lately, it's the best!

14. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@MrsHansen82: Thinking of you this week, lady.

15. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

btw, when do your babies go down for the night, when do they wake up (if they do) and when are they up for the day? dd2 goes to sleep around 10pm, wakes at 3:30am and then is "up" for the day around 8am. by "up" i mean, i am up for the day...because she usually just sleeps some more.

16. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@SleepyMonkey: That is SO good to hear. Thank you for sharing! I hope I'll have the same experience.

And yes to the smiles and coos! It's the absolute best. DH took a video last night because E was doing the cutest thing--I'd kiss her and say "I love you!" and after every time she'd coo and smile. Of course, it was when she should have been sleeping and she was wide awake...but you can't argue with a baby who's practically saying "I love you too" at the ripe old age of 8.5 weeks.

17. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@SleepyMonkey: we are exactly where you were. We've gone through it before and we got her to go to sleep on her own for a while but then at some point slipped into old habits. I think we are going to have to lay down the law - i just don't have the energy some nights.

18. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@MrsHansen82: Sending you so much love this week!

@mfa_lady: Baby sleep makes no sense at all. I don't even try to find logic lol. So sorry about your diastasis. Ugh I've heard it's hard to deal with.

@SleepyMonkey: A can go down at 7-8. She'll be up at 11. Then she's down until 4 or if we're lucky she gets up at 6 which I don't mind at all!

I love the baby smiles and my kid is more of a shrieker than a cooer lol. I'm not sure why she's always so excited but she is loud. I've gotten back into more intense workouts and my butt is getting kicked. There are still abs there apparently!

19. charmed

persimmon / 1177 posts

@keepcalmcarrie: adrenaline has definitely worn off here too So tired, but baby will only nap during the day if I'm wearing her (so I can't sleep). Then when DH is home in the evening I want to take care of all the things I can't do while holding a baby.

@keepcalmcarrie: not yet, just had my 6 week check up yesterday and was cleared for it, but honestly I would rather sleep - sorry DH

I haven't lost any weight since the initial 15lbs once my swelling went down. My mom keeps telling me that breastfeeding will make "the pounds melt off", but I am starving all the time and eat everything in sight - so weight loss is just not happening.

@SleepyMonkey: My girl goes to bed around 9/10pm, wakes up around 2/3am, then again anywhere from 5-7am. If the last wake up is before 6:30, I try to go back to bed. Otherwise we're up for the day.

I feel like we have terrible sleep habits for her: she naps in the wrap during the day, and sleeps in the rock n play at night (she was in the bassinet that lays flat for a while, but has been really congested and sleeping on an incline helps).
    I've tried to put her down (in the bassinet, crib, or rock n play) for naps, but I end up trying to get her to sleep/stay asleep the entire time she should be napping.

20. turquoisemama

persimmon / 1481 posts

@mfa_lady: So how do you know you have diastasis? I think I do too but my OB felt my belly for my uterus but didn't say anything. She said I could do ab excersise slowly. Maybe that's why my belly is still looking 3-4 months pregnant. I just got a belly binder and it helps keep everything in.

21. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@SleepyMonkey: Yay for smiles and coos! B is almost smiling, but I haven't gotten a nice big one from her yet.

@namaste: I seriously can't imagine working out for like another year. Way to go!

@charmed: My breastfeeding weight loss didn't really happen until 7-11 months last time. When I weaned I gained about 5 lbs back before getting KU again.

22. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@keepcalmcarrie: Oh totally getting bizzaayy It wasn't as bad at all lol

@charmed: Breastfeeding has definitely stopped making me lose weight for sure! I also am team eat all of the things which is why I know I have to workout lol I'm always hungry.

@Radish: It's only because I eat so much

23. keepcalmcarrie

persimmon / 1096 posts

@HappyBaker: Haha, nice LO! Out of the mouths of babes. J points to his tummy, pats it, and says "ho, ho, ho," so I'm just waiting for that to backfire when he does it to an adult.

@Radish: Yeah, H isn't really a bad sleeper either (well, except last night when he was up FOUR times). I just really, really need a solid night. I don't know how parents get by with kids who won't STTN for a year or so! J was sleeping a solid 8 hours at 10 weeks. Clock is ticking, Henry.

@MrsHansen82: Ugh, I'm the opposite - my drive is pretty much nonexistent. I don't know if it's the BFing or what, but I have zero interest in sex-ing. And DH is a hot dad, so it's not him. I would just rather get a really hot shower and then sleep in flannel PJs

I'm so sorry about your grandfather. Thinking of you

@mfa_lady: SO jealous of your sleep stretch! I hope she cooperates tonight too. I can't wait for that moment - waking up totally engorged and a little panicked because "OMG how long has he been asleep?!," but just feeling amazing because you finally slept longer than 4 hours.

Also, I'm a SAHM now, but I had great luck with Mothers Milk herbal tea giving me a huge boost in supply when I went back to work with LO1.

@SleepyMonkey: H goes to sleep around 7 pm, dream feed at 10 or so, up at 1 or 2 if I'm lucky, up at 5 or 6, and then usually sleeps on me in our bed until 7 or so. Like I said, we're a hot mess!

@charmed: I'm of the opinion that, until sometime between weeks 6-8, you let baby sleep where baby falls asleep. For H, that was usually the sling or on me until the last week or so. I laid him down for his second successful crib nap today. He sleeps every night in his own crib, but naps are very touch and go still. Usually on a blanket on my coffee table, actually, while J plays in the family room. He still won't nap in the swing, and won't nap for very long in the bouncy seat. He hates the rock and play. Ugh.

24. keepcalmcarrie

persimmon / 1096 posts

Two things tonight:

I ordered the Magic Sleep Suit this afternoon. I'm having it overnighted, actually. Last night was so, so bad - FOUR wakeups. He was doing better recently, and then last night was just a disaster. FX this thing is actually magical. He doesn't like being swaddled, and he wants to stretch out completely when he sleeps (hence hating the RnP and barely tolerating the swing and bouncy seat). He doesn't do that froggy-legged newborn thing. So I'm thinking the sleep suit will actually be great.

AND

He rolled over tonight. Not by accident. He did it probably 10 times! The first was clearly a total surprise - he was just doing tummy time before his bath on his little play mat, and he turned his head and the rest of his body followed along. But we clapped and made a big deal, and I put him back on his tummy knowing it was a total fluke - and then he pushed with his arm and leg, turned his head, and did it again with a HUGE smile. He actually laughed when he ended up on his back again. He kept doing it after that, and rolled to his right and his left. I am super shocked - J didn't roll until probably 4 months?! I guess our coffee table naps are over.

Hopefully his newfound athleticism tires him out during the day and he starts conking out for longer stretches overnight.

25. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@keepcalmcarrie: Impressive! LO1 took forever to roll, so I have low expectations for LO2.

I'm a little sad with how quickly B is growing. I just got on the scale with her/without her and she is around 11.5 lbs! LO1 was so much smaller at this age.

26. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@MrsHansen82: My midwife checked for me at my postpartum appointment and showed me how to feel it. She pressed three fingertips vertically into the middle of my upper belly, like right under my bra. (I was laid back on the reclined table.) Then she had me curl my head/neck up, and she could feel the slight separation that way. She had me stick my fingers there to feel it, too. She said it was very slight, and that with exercises it should go back to normal. I really hope it does...I feel really good but it's so annoying to have this belly poking out.

27. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

L slept 9:30-5:30 last night and DD didn't wake up either! I know it will probably not happen again until they are in high school but wow it was amazing! (And made me hate pumping since I had to do it at 4 anyway)

28. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@HappyBaker: Awesome! I wish you could have enjoyed it more without the pumping.

29. charmed

persimmon / 1177 posts

@keepcalmcarrie: rolling over already! That is so great A tries to roll over during tummy time, but she isn't close to actually doing it.

@HappyBaker: that is wonderful!!

I'm looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow (or at least going back to bed after the first feeding). DH and I decided to each take one weekend morning so the other one can sleep in or just enjoy some time without the baby. I probably won't be able to sleep too late, but just know I could has me giddy

30. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@HappyBaker: So amazing! Boo to the pumping, though.

@charmed: Enjoy your morning, lady. Soak it up! (Sounds like you guys have a great plan worked out. Good for you!!)

31. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

Any mini-pill takers experience spotting/weird CM after starting it? I started taking it this past Sunday night and the past few days have had pink and brown-tinged CM. I'm assuming it's the pill, because nothing else has changed. Any ideas?

32. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@charmed: hope you enjoy your morning sleeping in! DH and I always did that when we had just DD and it was so nice.

I'm solo parenting tomorrow until Monday night late and am so nervous about bedtime and MOTN wake ups. It seems they always wake up around the same times. DD has a pretty set bedtime routine and I think she might not be happy to have L there for it, especially since that's his fussy time! Any tips appreciated!

33. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@HappyBaker: i just did bedtime by myself for the first time tonight. It went well actually. Dd1 and i took a shower together while dd2 watched us from her bouncer. Then i had to nurse dd2, so i talked to dd1 while nursing dd2...dd1 seemed content. Then i read stories to both and put dd1 to bed. I basically had to hold dd2 the whole time since she is so fussy during this time of the day. I think it helps dd1 if i talk her through everything first, like explain what is going to happen and that she has to wait and she has to be patient.

Dh will be back home later tonight so he can deal with dd1 motn wake up though. I won't have to do solo nights for another week or so, then it'll be a full week of it while dh is on a business trip. I will be turning to you for advice then!

34. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

The thought of solo overnight terrifies me. They take turns having bad nights, so no matter what nights are rough. DD2 was up every 3 hours a few nights ago and it has gradually gotten to be longer stretches to where she did 7 1/2 hours last night so of course DD1 wakes up twice. Good luck!

@SleepyMonkey: A whole week of it - I'd die. Is your older daughter in daycare all week?

35. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@SleepyMonkey: thanks this makes me feel so much better! The MOTN wouldn't be so bad but I feel like as soon as I start pumping they both start going nuts haha. Tonight I'm alone with just L and he has been sleeping like a champ so hopefully he'll do this tomorrow too!

36. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@Radish: @HappyBaker: hah well as soon as i wrote that, the night went to shit! Dd2 was crying about something and dd1 woke up screaming. I had to tell 1 to get into bed with us and she was wide awake because 2 was crying...10 mins of chaos, i had no idea what to do. I pretty much wanted to kill dh because he was out at the bar. Fortunately he came home at that point and i gave him a death stare and he took dd1. Just a little preview of my full week without him.

37. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@Radish: yes thank god we have a nanny who takes her out all day...

38. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

So for motn wakings, she eats for like 3 mins and falls asleep. I spend 10 mins trying to wake her up multiple times. Should i just let her fuss it out instead of feeding her? Its so annoying and frustrating. Im like....oh no you didnt just wake me up at this hour and now youre just snoozing instead of eating. Wtf.

Sigh. Im having a bad night.

39. turquoisemama

persimmon / 1481 posts

@SleepyMonkey: maybe try a binky? I was just reading @mrsblue post about dropping a night feeding by using a pacifier.

http://www.hellobee.com/2013/06/11/the-magic-drop-a-feeding-pacifier-trick/

40. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@SleepyMonkey: oh no I'm so sorry! I agree with @MrsHansen82 to try a binky, but it also might be that she just doesn't know how to self soothe yet and nursing is what helps her. Maybe she can be tricked with a binky!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee