Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

New Year, New Babes - January 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@mfa_lady: I had bleeding for 6 days or so during my second week. I've read it's a common side effect.

2. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

I'm so hopelessly behind again.
    And now we're on a new page...ugh.

Had baby sister's two month this week. She's 12lbs 10oz and 24.5" same height as big sister but a pound smaller. Things have settled down and we're in a nice routine.

And it won't be below freezing this week!!! SPRING!!!!

@Espion: how was your conference?

3. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@SleepyMonkey: C is a very efficient nurser in MOTN. I've gotten her to drop a feed with the pacifier trick. Hope it work for you too!

4. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@charmed: your sleep in sounds so nice! C like to nurse every 1.5 hours between 6&9 and is just kind of ornery there's no way DH could manage that. I'm totally jealous!

5. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@MrsHansen82: I'm sorry about your grandfather. I lost mine when I was 32 weeks with DD1, two years later and it still make me cry thinking about how much he would have loved her. Big hugs.

6. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@keepcalmcarrie: yay for rolling!! I love when they're proud of themselves! C started rolling yesterday. I surprised to find the milestones just as exciting the second time around. I thought I'd be jaded but it's still awesome.

7. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@namaste: Thank you! This makes me feel so much better! It turned into light bleeding overnight so I really appreciate the info. I SO wish there was a better, easy option for BC that wasn't hormonal. Blah!

8. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@oliviaoblivia: What a big girl! We have our two month this week but we were unfortunately at the ped's office for a bad rash on Friday and little gal is 10lb 11oz. Although she woke up twice to nurse last night (between 11 and morning) for the first time in ages, so I think there might be a grown spurt happening. It'll be interesting to see what she weighs on Tuesday.

9. turquoisemama

persimmon / 1481 posts

@oliviaoblivia:

10. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

Anyone that is exclusively breastfeeding enjoying it yet? We are at 7 weeks and I'm still bleh about it. I guess we still have bad nursing sessions from time to time and i think its been several days in a row where i am struggling to wake her up and get a full feed in so that is frustrating and making me feel annoyed by it. Its all a phase right.

11. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

So, vacuum white noise is like black magic.

@SleepyMonkey: I'm pretty happy with breastfeeding. My only annoyances at this point are the fact that she doesn't have the neck control and bigger mouth to just latch on all of her own and that I still have to use the boppy or it is really uncomfortable.

12. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@SleepyMonkey: I'm kind of like you. At 9 weeks, I sometimes love breastfeeding, but my girl is kind of restless and sometimes fussy when feeding, so I often wonder if I'm going something wrong or if there's not enough, etc. But, she's going the appropriate time between feeds and seems to be gaining weight, so I think all is okay. I'm pumping a good amount, too, so I think I'm worrying about nothing. I think it's just so hard to really enjoy at first (at least the first time around!) because there so much to wonder about.

13. turquoisemama

persimmon / 1481 posts

@Radish: @SleepyMonkey: @mfa_lady: I only enjoy it when she gets down to business and doesn't get distracted. Also the ease of just popping her on is really nice. I don't know why but she absolutely hates taking a bottle. I've been trying to give her one a day so she will get used to it but she just freaks out. Hopefully we'll figure it out before I go back to work in a month!

14. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@Radish: @mfa_lady: @MrsHansen82: i guess i like it when it is an easy session - no distractions and no fussing and unlatching/latching all the time. I hate it when there is all of that nonsense and i she snoozes and doesnt nurse. I think that will change and the efficient sessions will become the norm. But still not loving it even when it is a good session.

I think we both caught dd1s cold. All the hand washing and sanitizing was for naught! Of course dh who didn't do any of that is healthy. Hoping it is not as bad as dd1s cold...she had monster snot rockets and now a bad cough

15. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@MrsHansen82: aw she loves the boob! She will learn to take the bottle when you go back to work. It will suck and be stressful but she won't starve herself. We went thru it with dd1. She basically didn't take the bottle until the day i went to work even though we tried for 10 weeks prior to that.

16. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@SleepyMonkey: hope you feel better quick!

17. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@HappyBaker: thank you!! Motn feeding?

18. turquoisemama

persimmon / 1481 posts

@SleepyMonkey: This makes me feel better!

19. charmed

persimmon / 1177 posts

Sleeping in yesterday morning was great! And thankfully A was good for DH, so he had an easy morning too.

@oliviaoblivia: Wow, 12 lbs already! Glad you're settling into a routine.

@SleepyMonkey: Breastfeeding is a lot easier than it was a few weeks ago, and I enjoy the cuddles/closeness. But since A is such a slow nurser, I get frustrated with how much time I spend breastfeeding. It would be quicker for me to pump and then give her a bottle than to nurse.

20. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@charmed: Liv was 13lbs 9oz....C feels tiny to me!

21. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@SleepyMonkey: hope your cold is a short one.
    BFing is going well for us, it helps that C is very efficient and is done in six minutes.

22. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@SleepyMonkey: BF is going a lot better than I planned. I was thinking I'd be EP by 4 months but A is a champion nurser. She's always done in 10 minutes and enjoys the bottle as well so DH gets his fair share of feeding time.

I need to reschedule her 2 month appointment! We got a call that they needed to reschedule last week which is a bummer. I did the holding her while I was on the scale trick and she's definitely up to 9ish pounds or so. I'm glad she's getting bigger!

23. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

So we barely survived last night, being alone with 2 at night is so hard! L screamed through DD's entire bedtime routine, then he slept pretty good and she woke up 5 times throughout the night. This morning I was able to get them up and out the door without too many tantrums from DD so that was a win…not looking forward to tonight though!

Also just a PSA - double check your medical bills / insurance before paying them. I had a feeling we had met our deductible already but we were still getting bills, I just added them up and if I paid this last batch we would have been $3000 over the deductible (and on our insurance once we meet the deductible its supposed to be covered 100% by them). I just called my health insurance and their system is all messed up…it will take them 60+ days to figure out what is going on. So annoying!

24. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@HappyBaker: oh man, that sounds really rough, i am sorry! Hoping tonight is better

25. turquoisemama

persimmon / 1481 posts

@HappyBaker: Sounds awful! Last night was rough for us too. K didn't fall asleep until 1:30am and I finally had to put her in the swing.

26. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@HappyBaker: Sorry it was so rough. Wish I could send you some strength and energy to get through tonight! That is also frustrating to deal with the insurance issue!

27. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

Since I know it is hard to keep up with the board for some, I hope that a little status update will catch some of us up.

Name:
    Clothing Size:
    Most Recent Milestone(s):
    Current Struggle(s):
    Loving:

28. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

Name: B
    Est Weight: 11 lbs +
    Clothing Size: 3 month
    Most Recent Milestone(s): More eye contact and awareness.
    Current Struggle(s): Balancing two when they both need me. The occasional witching hour. Accepting how big she is already. It is hard to complain about much because so far she is a relatively easy baby.
    Loving: Longer stretches of night time sleep. She usually gives us 5-7 hour stretches each night. The limited time she is awake we are starting to see a personality. Big sister loving on her.

29. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

Name: C
    Est Weight: 12lbs 10oz
    Clothing Size: 6 months she's long but slim
    Most Recent Milestone(s): rolling front to back
    Current Struggle(s): she has a slight preference for looking left so we're doing some neck exercises
    Loving: the giggles. She's such a smiley happy baby.

30. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@HappyBaker: So sorry! Sending positive vibes that tonight will be better

Name: A
    Est Weight: 9 lbs or so!
    Clothing Size: She can still fit in some NB but she's moving into 0-3.
    Most Recent Milestone(s): She laughs all of the time now and won't stop squealing.
    Current Struggle(s): Getting her to sleep in her crib. She won't sleep for longer than 5 minutes in it but she's too long for her bassinet. So unsure of what to do!
    Loving: Having little "conversations", getting her on the mat for mommy/baby yoga time, and having a soft structured routine.

31. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

Thanks guys! Last night was just as bad but at least I knew what to expect going into it. DH is home now so tonight will be back to normal. Whew!

Name: L
    Est Weight: no idea, Dr today!
    Clothing Size: 0-3 months
    Most Recent Milestone(s): Sleeping in his room in the RNP, starting daycare tomorrow!!
    Current Struggle(s): Still won't nap unless on me, but he'll have to figure it out at daycare
    Loving: Smiles and he is sooo close to laughing!

32. Happygal

pomelo / 5000 posts

@Radish: thanks for starting a catch up conversation. I've been reading this thread, but not consistently, and then I feel badly if I can't reply to everyone so I just lurk along!

Name: Baby girl J

Est Weight: Hoping for close to 11 pounds. I thinks she's fallen behind in weight (which has happened two times now), but I was trying not to obsess and told myself it's a first time mom worry. But then I caved and called to see if I could get her weighed so I can know for sure!

Clothing Size: this really seems to vary based on clothing brand, which drives me crazy since almost all of our clothes are hand me downs! I guess mainly 0-3 month clothing.

Most Recent Milestone(s): coos and smiles--not consistent, so it's still super exciting and we'll say, "Did you see that one?!" I also realized that when I get out my boob to nurse, she'll stare at the nipple and get happy. She's also spent the last three nights in her nursery in the bassinet, which has allowed me to get better sleep b/c she's a noisy little baby!

Current Struggle(s): Hmm. Nothing seems huge right now. Nursing still isn't as seamless as I would like--oversupply issues are annoying and a hassle. Makes me hesitant to nurse in public as well.

I am starting to dread going back to work and my feelings about things (such as sleep) will likely change when I'm having to be at school and functional. Like I was up with her from 4 to 6:30ish this morning, but I got to sleep to almost 8 and am still in pjs.

Loving: She likes snuggling and nursing. She does really well in her car seat and seems to like riding around. I love holding her, staring at that face, and trying to get her to smile.

33. Happygal

pomelo / 5000 posts

@namaste: Did you see Mrs. Blue's post about creating a crib nest? I did a modified version of this in her bassinet b/c she had been in the rock n' play. I didn't elevate anything, but did create a little u-shape for her feet to touch. I think I'll take it out tonight, but might do the same thing when she goes in the crib to give her a feeling of security.

34. Happygal

pomelo / 5000 posts

@oliviaoblivia: what kind of exercises are you doing? I think I see this with my baby as well.

@radish: wow, 5-7 hour stretches sound wonderful! I think the most I'm getting at night is close to 4 hours, and that's not consistent. Our witching hour seems to be getting better, but for awhile it was right at dinner time.

@SleepyMonkey: I'm not bleh about nursing, but I don't think I'm in the moony-so-wonderful phase either. Sometimes J does the sleepy nursing, too. It's the worst. Waking up to feed her, trying to get her to latch on, my milk is spraying everywhere, and she'll nurse for 5 minutes and conk out. Boo hiss to that!

35. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@Happygal: I started putting her to bed facing the other direction so that she has to look the other way to see me. More tummy time. Instead of having her morning nap in the swing I'm wearing her. When I have her on her back I hold her head and gently turn her head to her tighter side. It seems to be working so far.

36. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

Sorry I disappeared on you guys but we spent a week at my parents' house and it got busy.

Here's our update:
    Name: J
    Est Weight: 4,860g (10 lbs 11 oz)
    Clothing Size: 3 months and growing out of some of them
    Most Recent Milestone(s): An early bedtime is starting to slowly appear to be the norm. She goes down for the night sometime between 6-8 pm and will then wake-up once to eat until the next morning.
    Current Struggle(s): while night time sleep is good naps are another thing. But overall there's not much to complain about.
    Loving: Smiles and she is laughing and cooing. LOVE it So much more fun now that she's more interactive.

37. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@Happygal: She gave us 8 hours last night! It was after a 2 hour witching phase and LO1 and the dog were up in the middle of the night, so we are still not getting the best sleep.

38. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@SleepyMonkey: BF is easy for us since she's such an efficient little eater and by that I mean she eats 5-6 times in 24h and hardly ever eats longer than 15 minutes. But it's not like nursing is my favorite activity of all time but I don't mind it either (was the same thing with LO1 though).

39. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@Happygal: Thank you for mentioning this! I might try it! After reading @HappyBaker:'s victory, I just decided to move the PnP in her room. She's been napping for 40 minutes now and it's been great. So perhaps that'll be a first transition?

@Pumuckl: A also likes to go down early now but I have no complaints! She slept from 8:30p - 5a. Went back down around 6 until 9.

40. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@namaste: That is amazing sleep! DH thinks its silly that we moved the RNP into the nursery but it makes me feel so much more sane to not have the baby in my room for some reason.

We just got back from our 2 month check up and L has not gained enough weight :-(. Even the dr was surprised because he looks good / fuller and he eats every 3 hours and has been doing one long stretch at night. So we are increasing his bottles and going back in a month to recheck. Those of you that bottle feed, how many ounces do you give? We'd been doing 3-3.5 but are now going to do 4. I am still EP-ing but I guess I can take the "E" off because we definitely will need to supplement now since I was barely keeping up before.

I also asked her about sleep and she said as long as we move him to the crib by 4 months that is great, 4 months is supposedly when they start remembering / creating habits that are harder to break.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee