Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

New Year, New Babes - January 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@HappyBaker: We just had our two month checkup, too, and our ped said 4oz bottles, too. (I asked because I go back to work next week.) Good luck, lady! I hope that helps the little guy catch up in no time.

2. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

Love these check-ins. We just got back from the ped (2 month checkup) so I've got all the info just in time.

Name:

Est Weight: 11 lb 1 oz

Clothing Size: 0-3 months, 3 months

Most Recent Milestone(s): So much smiling/chatting, and turning her head to watch us move or when she hears us talk! She's also started batting at the toys on her activity gym a little bit. Not consistently, but still adorable.

Current Struggle(s): Getting ready to go back to work next week. I'm part time the first two weeks back, so we're working out family and friend babysitters. She'll go to her in-home daycare starting when I go back full time, and even though I'm so excited about starting back at work, it breaks my heart to think about not seeing her all day.

Also, BEDTIME. This little girl does not like to go to sleep. She'll fall asleep for about a half hour and then be awake and fussing/crying until what's supposed to be her dream feed between 10 and 11. Blah!

Loving: Her sweet personality! Honestly, this sounds dumb, but when she's not crying, she's smiling/talking. It's completely adorable and it just amazes me how much they change and grow so quickly.

3. Happygal

pomelo / 5000 posts

@HappyBaker: I know it's a sad feeling when you find out your baby hasn't been gaining the correct amount of weight. I'm sure the bottles will help to get caught up quickly! How was the rest of the visit?

@mfa_lady: I'm glad you had a good check up! I think our girls look like they could be related. I'm with you on the back to work feelings, although I'm probably leaning more towards "not looking forward to it." How do you feel about your childcare set up?

I realized another milestone today--now she not only likes to be picked up for comfort, but also for socialization. She'll fuss and when I pick her up, she just gives little smiles and wants to hang out. I take her in the bouncer when I shower and saw her looking in the mirror propped up today.

I definitely moved in phases to get her in the nursery. Just pushed the rock n' play away from me to start. Then had her in the nursery for one leg in the morning. I can get to her from my room in 5 seconds flat, but it still seemed like a big step to have her away from me all night long! And potentially more work--no more simply leaning over to soothe. But one morning she made such a ruckus before finally crying to be fed and I realized I could have had 1.5 hour or so of sleep. Into the nursery she went!

4. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@Happygal @mfa_lady: Thanks guys. I just feel really bad/guilty because the whole reason I EP-ed was to avoid all the weight issues we had while breastfeeding DD, and I felt like L has been doing so much better than her / growing great. The rest of the visit was good, he got 3 shots and the rotovirus drink and has been asleep ever since!

5. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@Happygal: They totally do! Their skin tone and hair makes them look almost like twins. I think their noses are similar, too! I'm feeling good about childcare--we're sending her to an in-home place. Our friends' son goes there, too, and we really loved her when we met with her, so it's definitely the best it could be. Won't make it any easier to drop her off, though.

@HappyBaker: I bet you that ounce/half ounce will get him right where he needs to be! E got the rotovirus thing too--she drank it like champ because she's so used to getting gripe water all the time, haha. She got four shots and slept until I had to wake her up to feed her....and she's doing the most lazy nursing right now you've ever seen. Poor little babes!

6. keepcalmcarrie

persimmon / 1096 posts

Yay for check ins!

Name: Henry
    Est Weight: At least 13 lbs. He's a tank.
    Clothing Size: Mostly 6 months now. Kind of sad
    Most Recent Milestone(s): Rolling tummy to back, cooing, laughing, lots of smiles
    Current Struggle(s): BFing. Still somewhat of an oversupply, he unlatches a lot and milk just sprays everywhere. I occasionally cheat with something with a tiny bit of dairy in it, and he gets blow out diapers and terrible gas. I miss cheese!
    Loving: Pretty much everything. He is such a sweet, sweet baby. Also, the Magic sleep suit might actually have special powers. We used it for the first time lash night, and he slept a 6 hour stretch, woke to feed for 10 minutes, and conked right back out for another 4. It was heavenly!!

7. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@keepcalmcarrie: Wow I might be ordering a sleep suit then! That is great!

8. turquoisemama

persimmon / 1481 posts

@keepcalmcarrie: I'm wondering about the sleep suit but it looks like it's so warm. Do they get too hot in it? We live in California and its been in the 70s so I can't really bundle her up and it's hard to swaddle her too.

9. keepcalmcarrie

persimmon / 1096 posts

I think it probably is pretty warm, but that works for us for a few reasons: H loooooves to be warm, and we live in an old house in Ohio that's cool even in the summer. His nursery is usually in the mid 60s overnight. I still dress him in a thin cotton footed sleeper underneath, but I know a lot of people just use a short sleeved onesie and I probably will in the spring/summer too.

He just took a 2.5 hour nap in it this afternoon too. I did replace the binky twice, but still - it must just make them feel very cocooned without being really restrictive like a swaddle. I know not all gear works for every baby, but if this continues I will be recommending this to every mom I know!

10. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@mfa_lady: how is E doing now? Ever since L woke up from his super nap he has been miserable. I just gave him Tylenol and hope this doesn't last long!

11. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@HappyBaker: She woke up miserable, too, and I rocked her back to sleep (took a good while). I just tried to wake her up to eat and she ate for like five minutes and is back to sleep. I can't get her to wake up! I am hoping she'll just stay sleepy through the misery...and not wake up a crazy person in the middle of the night.

12. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@HappyBaker: we only bottle feed occassionally but we give 5oz bottles - but then little miss only eats 5-6 times a day so that probably contributes to it.

13. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@Pumuckl: Thanks! The ped thought that since he only wakes up once at night he is just not getting enough ounces overall, so we'll try 4 for this month and then go up again if we need to I guess!

14. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@HappyBaker: Hey lady. How's L today? My little lady is still not herself. Super fussy, won't sleep (opposite of yesterday post-shots), and just generally curmudgeony. Blah! Hope things are happier in your house today.

15. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@mfa_lady: L is actually at daycare! But I've called twice and they said he is great. I gave him tylenol yesterday and he was back to himself around 6pm and slept normal so hopefully he really is over it. I hope your little one is done with the crankiness soon! My doc said worst case 48 hours and after that they should be normal. Good luck!

16. keepcalmcarrie

persimmon / 1096 posts

Ughhh, no magic last night from the sleep suit. Down at 9, dream feed at midnight, up at 2:30, 3:30, and 5:30. Eating every 2-2.5 hours today too. H has been super fussy most of the day. I think I know the culprit.

I'm pretty sure my period is returning. Brown spotting last night and all day today. WTF?

It didn't come back last time until we weaned. Not even when we dropped to just 2 feedings. I thought I had so much more time!

And my go-to soothing method, nursing, is suddenly causing some of the trouble. He's acting like he's starving.

I think I remember someone else saying AF returned?

17. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@keepcalmcarrie: sounds like a growth spurt perhaps? Hoping its not af!!

18. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

Est Weight: probably close to 12 lbs. Will find out for sure on friday at her 2 month checkup.
    Clothing Size: 0-3 but some of the onesies are getting snug! She still has chicken legs though. I thought i would have more time before going to the next size up.
    Most Recent Milestone(s): smiles....they are kind of rare though.
    Current Struggle(s): she caught her first cold from big sis this week and is having major goopy eyes so we had to get a prescription ointment. She hates it. Lots of snot too. Poor thing. Other struggle is that sleep progress has stalled. She only goes 5 hrs between feeds at night. Hate to compare but dd1 was doing 8 hr stretches by this time. Witching hour still in full force over here too.
    Loving: the smiles, the snuggles, the free time (when the nanny has dd1) because she sleeps so much!

19. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

Does anyone put their LO down for bed without giving them a bottle / nursing right before? L started daycare today and was completely exhausted when we got home. I fed him at 6:30 and feel like he could have gone to bed at 7:30 but wasn't sure if I should feed him again first? So I just let him nap on me and woke him at 9 to eat again and go to bed. I know for my daughter I nursed to sleep the entire first year!

20. turquoisemama

persimmon / 1481 posts

@HappyBaker: A lot of the time I will feed K and she will take so long to go to sleep that it's like I don't feed her right before. Sometimes I'll feed again if sge is really resisting sleep and that usually works pretty good.

21. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@keepcalmcarrie: AF came for me at 5 weeks. (Hello again this week). So over it! Hope it's not the same for you.

22. keepcalmcarrie

persimmon / 1096 posts

@namaste: Boo!

Did/does your LO behave any differently while nursing when you have AF?

23. turquoisemama

persimmon / 1481 posts

@keepcalmcarrie: I thought AF returned for me but I think it was just a little more lochia. It wasn't much and went away after a couple days. I have had more since getting my Mirena yesterday.

24. HeartAbandoned

clementine / 933 posts

Name: C
    Est Weight: if a bathroom scale can be trusted, around 8 lbs (he's a peanut: 5lbs6oz when we left the hospital. )
    Clothing Size: NB
    Most Recent Milestone(s): He has gotten much more interactive over the last 2 weeks or so. He's also doing a great job holding his head up during tummy time & while we hold him.
    Current Struggle(s): Nipple pain. It's not constant, or even consistent really, but when it strikes it's pretty terrible.
    Loving: big, gummy grins! He also just really loves to snuggle, and it's so sweet!

25. sorrycharlie

hostess / watermelon / 14932 posts

@keepcalmcarrie: Yup, AF here. My LO doesn't act any differently but I have heard lots of babies do!

26. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

I survived daycare drop off and my first commute back to work. I'm currently pumping and praying no one walks in, I'm in a random cube on a little used floor! I'm definitely not getting as much milk as normal but maybe it's just stage fright? Also I pumped a bottle of blood this morning, it was disgusting and I have no idea what happened!

27. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@HappyBaker: wow that sounds scary! Could the blood be from a cracked nipple? Glad you survived daycare drop off!

28. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@HappyBaker: Glad things went smoothly for you. And pumping blood is a bit scary, I'm assuming there is no pain?

B slept over 9 hours last night! LO1 only did that a handful of times in her first year.

29. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@HeartAbandoned: Is the nipple pain because your LO has a small mouth still? I am so happy my nipple pain wore off after the first week or so, that is no fun at all.

30. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@HappyBaker: yikes! Do you serve pumped blood? I don't know what I'd do. Hope your first day back goes well.

@Radish: nine is awesome! I hope you got to sleep for most of it!

@HeartAbandoned: sorry about the nipple pain. I had it for six weeks with my first, it was so awful.

31. Happygal

pomelo / 5000 posts

@HappyBaker: was it a full bottle of blood? That sounds horrifying! I'm glad drop off went well. That's a big milestone! I guess I don't always nurse to sleep. If she falls asleep around our dinner time, I might toss her in the bassinet. It is a dilemma--is she going to wake up as soon as I go to bed to nurse? I decided not to over-think it b/c we're not on any kind of predictable routine right now. Dream feeds don't work for us, maybe b/c I have a forceful letdown. She'll just play around on the boob while my milk is spraying everywhere.

My nipples were sensitive for awhile....I couldn't close my bathrobe around my chest b/c it was too uncomfortable. I think it's gotten better, but I would still say they're sensitive. Someone told me that fair skinned people are more prone to having sensitive nipples and issues revolving around that with nursing.

32. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@Happygal: @oliviaoblivia: @Pumuckl: So after googling you can apparently serve them bloody milk since if he was nursing I probably wouldn't have known it happened, but I definitely can not do that, it is so gross! I stuck it in the fridge because I read a few reports that the blood and milk might separate, otherwise I am just throwing it away. It was bizarre, I was pumping in the dark at 4am and went to wipe my nipple off to put a nursing pad back on and there was blood just pouring out and the entire 4 oz bottle was dark red. It didn't hurt at all / my 8am pump was totally fine. I hope it doesn't happen again! ICK!

33. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@keepcalmcarrie: She's the same but I heard that babies can react differently as well. Keep us updated!

@HeartAbandoned: Sorry about your nipple pain. It's the worst. Hope things get better!

@Happygal: I'm definitely not fair skinned and my nipples are still sensitive lol it's gotten better but sometimes I can't even let the shower water run on them because it's so uncomfortable.

@HappyBaker: Oh no! Ugh I pumped blood into a bottle very early on and was horrified so I know the feeling Hope everything is ok.

@Radish: That's awesome! Congrats!

A is doing well sleeping in her room and it's such a relief! I want to get her in the crib eventually but I'll take this small victory. We're playing a lot in her crib so she can get adjusted to it.

34. HeartAbandoned

clementine / 933 posts

@Radish: I'm guessing it is because his mouth is still small. We saw the nurse practitioner 2 weeks ago to try & figure out what the issue is, and his latch is great. He's a pretty enthusiastic eater, and he eats for a long time (usually at least 40 minutes total per feeding), so I think those two things, and the fact that he's still a peanut mean nipple pain for me. Thankfully my nipples aren't cracked or bleeding, just painful while he eats sometimes. I'm crossing my fingers he'll grow out of it...

@oliviaoblivia: Did you do anything to make the pain go away after 6 weeks with your first? I'm treating with prescription nipple cream, nipple butter, soothies and nursing pads. If the pain gets really hard to handle I take some ibuprofen. I'm going to get some breast shields the next time I'm at Target to see if those might help, too.

@HappyBaker: That sounds so scary! I'm glad it was just a one-time thing!

@namaste: I totally relate to the relief of the baby sleeping in the nursery! C has napped in his crib in his room a couple of times and has done really well! Neither DH nor I have to work tomorrow, so I think we're going to try having him sleep in his room tonight. It's a scary thought, but I also feel like it will be liberating once we've moved him in there! The next question to answer is whether I'll go into his room to nurse him for his MOTN feeding, or have DH bring him to me in our room.

35. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@HeartAbandoned: Right now I've brought her into our room for her dream feed . I've been exhausted and recovering from a fall early this week but when I'm feeling better, I'll try to do it in her room. Good luck!

36. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

Had our 2 month checkup today, she is 12 lbs. Got our shots and she woke up screaming from her nap afterwards. Gave her tylenol and warm bath and massaged her legs where she got her shots. She is sooo sleepy.

Dh leaves for his trip tomorrow. Wish me luck ladies, the nighttime wakeups are going to kill me

37. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@Radish: i am supremely envious of B's sleep!!

38. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@namaste: oh man. I am not looking fwd to the transition to crib...glad that the transition is going well thus far.

39. HeartAbandoned

clementine / 933 posts

We survived night 1 in the crib last night! C ate at midnight & at 5 am. Fingers crossed it goes well again tonight!

Anyone dealing with drool yet? We don't have a lot over here, but I am noticing more as of the last day or so.

@SleepyMonkey: Good luck while you solo parent! How long will your DH be gone? My DH takes his first overnight trip on 4/2, and I'm already dreading it...

40. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@HeartAbandoned: nice job on the crib transition! Hope it goes well again tonight! Dh will be gone for 6 nights starting tomorrow. Ahhh help me. I will probably be posting on here to complain this week, i hope you all don't get sick of me!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee