Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

New Year, New Babes - January 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. keepcalmcarrie

persimmon / 1096 posts

1. What time is bedtime? Between 7-8, depending on the day, how smoothly bedtime routine goes with big brother, etc
    2. What is your routine? Bath at same time as big brother (he's in the regular tub, Henry is in infant bath), lotion, Jammie's, nurse/bottle while rocking in the glider, stand up to sway/burp him next to the crib, then lay him down with the binkie and leave
    3. Do you do a dream feed or an extra feed before you go to sleep? Sometimes. If I do, he usually makes it until 3 AM. If not, he'll be up around 1.
    4. Where is your baby sleeping? In his crib in his nursery
    5. Do you help the baby fall asleep (rocking, patting, bouncing, etc) or do you just put the baby down and walk away? I feed him in the glider and sway while I try to get a burp, and I pat him on the back if he fusses when I lay him down, but no, I try not to do too much soothing to sleep. All bets are off on a bad night though!

2. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

Sorry I just saw this today:
    1. What time is bedtime? around 6:30pm, just before big bro goes to bed.
    2. What is your routine? I nurse her while big bro drinks his milk, then PJs and swaddle then off to her crib in our room.
    3. Do you do a dream feed or an extra feed before you go to sleep? no, her night sleep is awesome so far.
    4. Where is your baby sleeping? Crib, in our bedroom. Contemplating to move her into her room once we move to our new house.
    5. Do you help the baby fall asleep (rocking, patting, bouncing, etc) or do you just put the baby down and walk away? no, just put her down with her pacifier and some cuddles before I put her down. If she's having trouble falling asleep I stroke her cheeks and forehead.

3. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

1. What time is bedtime? It varies from 8:30-11 depending on the night and previous sleeping during the day.
    2. What is your routine? I just nurse her to drowsy or asleep, nothing else is involved except swaddling on occasion.
    3. Do you do a dream feed or an extra feed before you go to sleep? Haven't needed to since she's mostly sleeping 7-9 hours without it. I think of have trouble getting her to dream feed because I've tried to get her to eat while asleep during the day before and she's oblivious.
    4. Where is your baby sleeping? Crib, though we have company so she's currently in a pnp in our room.
    5. Do you help the baby fall asleep (rocking, patting, bouncing, etc) or do you just put the baby down and walk away? She does well putting herself to sleep once I put her in the crib. I will sometimes pat her back or bum to get her extra drowsy before setting her down. She likes a heartbeat rhythm or super fast patting.

4. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

I am SO JEALOUS of these babies that just go to sleep after nursing. See below. (ETA: Just re-read this and I sound so sour! But this bedtime business is currently the bane of my existence. Eek!)

1. What time is bedtime? Between 7:30 and 9. Buuuut she's never really usually asleep for good until 11.

2. What is your routine? PJs and swaddle (sometimes bath before), diaper change, nurse in the dark in her room, put her in the crib, she screams and screams and one of us ends up in her room (or, on a good night, in and out) for the next 2 - 3 hours.

3. Do you do a dream feed or an extra feed before you go to sleep? Yes. DH gives her a bottle around 10:30 or 11 and I pump. Most nights, she can then sleep from 11ish until 6 or 7. (Although last night she was having none of that, either, and was awake a ton.)

4. Where is your baby sleeping? Crib in her nursery right across the hall from our room.

5. Do you help the baby fall asleep (rocking, patting, bouncing, etc) or do you just put the baby down and walk away? We've tried it all. We've put her down awake, asleep, drowsy, and no matter what, two second after she hits the crib mattress, she's screaming. What are we doing wrong?!

5. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@mfa_lady: oh no sorry she is giving you a hard time! It will click eventually!

1. What time is bedtime? 7:30 but we probably could go earlier on daycare days, he is exhausted!

2. What is your routine? Sort of pathetic, we just put new diaper, jammies and swaddle. If he hasn't eaten in the last hour we give him a bottle, then just put him down awake with a binky and he falls asleep. I still don't believe this really works as DD I basically did a ridiculous 45 min - 1 hour routine for her first entire year, and even then sometimes she didn't go to sleep!

3. Do you do a dream feed or an extra feed before you go to sleep? Nope, he has even done a few crazy long stretches of 7:30-5:00ish but usually he wakes up between 1-3am.

4. Where is your baby sleeping? Rock & Play in his room. I just got a merlin sleep suit so may try that next weekend to get him in his crib.

5. Do you help the baby fall asleep (rocking, patting, bouncing, etc) or do you just put the baby down and walk away? Nope I just walk away, and I check the monitor eleventh-billion times because I don't believe he really is going to just go to sleep!

6. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

@mfa_lady: don't worry, that's pretty much how LO1 was (actually still is). I would find something that seemed to work then she'd be immune to it the next week. It's so frustrating, but somehow survivable.

7. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

Love all these answers. We did 2 nights of earlier bedtime and the first night worked really well. Asleep by 9, in her bassinet, slept until 2:30. Then shr woke up at 430 with a burp and poop and then at 6 just because...so i brought her into bed with me and she slept for 2 more hours. Last night was a disaster. I missed her window so i just brought her into bed with me. She slept 6 hrs then 4 hrs. I think i am struggling with her eat/sleep schedule during the day because it is not consistent from one day to the next. It depends on what time she gets up in the morning and how much she naps. So how can bedtime be the same every night if her eating and sleeping differs every day?

I think it is going to be hard to transition her to a crib. She loves sleeping with me. I actually love it too but it is so different than what we did with dd1 and it just feels like i am doing something wrong by cosleeping. Sigh.

Also for those with 2 kids, how do you manage bedtimes? Does baby go down first or does your older one go first? What does your older do while you are putting the baby to bed if you are by yourself?

Sooo many questions. Why do i feel like ive never done this before?!

8. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@mfa_lady: i feel the same! I think we are in the same boat, so i totally hear ya on all the "sourness"!

9. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@SleepyMonkey: I totally feel like a first time mom again too, it's crazy how much you forget! If both DH and I are home we each take a kid and do bedtime separately but at the same time. DH did bedtime alone Saturday and said it went really well, what he did was put L in the Rock and Play and brought it in DD's room while he read her her stories and did her routine, then he swaddled and gave L a bottle. When I did it by myself a few weeks ago it was a disaster though, so I'm sure it depend on the night how cooperative they are!

10. turquoisemama

persimmon / 1481 posts

@mfa_lady: @SleepyMonkey: DD is the same...needless to say it's getting old!

11. Happygal

pomelo / 5000 posts

Sleep--my current obsession! I'm also jealous of others' easy going babies. DD is 8 weeks and here's how it's going for us:

1. What time is bedtime?
    Aiming for 7, but may need to tinker with this. She has been losing her baby mind at bedtime the past 5 nights or so. Yesterday she started acting ready to sleep around 6, so I went with it. However, I don't think she conked out until 8 or so. Lord have mercy.

2. What is your routine?
    Trying to establish this now. Bath, diaper/pjs/lotion, nurse, sing song, into the crib.

3. Do you do a dream feed or an extra feed before you go to sleep?
    No. I've tried, but ended up sitting there with my boob out and her still asleep in my arms. For those who do this, how do you make it work? Does your baby just latch on without much prompting?

4. Where is your baby sleeping?
    For nighttime, in her crib since Friday! (She has been in her bassinet in her nursery for a few weeks or so.) For day time naps--wherever. She really likes her car seat and it's almost a guarantee that she'll sleep for awhile in there, but I obviously don't want that to be her go-to spot.

5. Do you help the baby fall asleep (rocking, patting, bouncing, etc) or do you just put the baby down and walk away?
    I leave my hand on her chest for a little bit, maybe stroke her forehead, put in a paci if she's rooting around. But I'm having to go back and forth for a bit right now. Maybe it's the crib transition?

I haven't been a dedicated swaddler and wonder if it's too late to reconsider this. She kicks her legs in the air like crazy. Anyone else have a kicker? The other day her legs got out and I looked in the baby monitor--it looked like she was mooning me. Maybe it's b/c she in her crib now, or maybe she's always done it and I haven't noticed!

I'm so ready for some longer stretches of sleep and easier night time transitions from feedings-back to the crib.

She did one glorious 6 hour stretch of sleep one night, so I know she has it in her.

12. Happygal

pomelo / 5000 posts

@SleepyMonkey: I have been bringing her into bed with me in the morning, around 4-5. I also feel like it's wrong and creating a bad habit, but it kind of works for now. I just don't have a lot of fight in me at that point and it's also sweet to have her close by.

13. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@Happygal: YES to the kicking! (Do we have the same baby?! Seriously.) E is a maniac, even when she's swaddled. She kicks like crazy and also does this thing where she balls herself up (kind of on her side, she's crazy strong for a little thing) and explodes out. She can seriously do it so much overnight that her head ends up on the opposite end of the crib from where it started. She'll do a complete 180! She definitely hates GETTING swaddled, but once she's all wrapped up she sleeps better for sure. It's a fight to get there, but worth it in the end for us. Good luck!

14. Happygal

pomelo / 5000 posts

@mfa_lady: Yes to the amazing feats of strength! The kicks are so strong. The other night I went to pop a paci in her mouth and found it half way across the nursery. How did she throw that thing that far?! Sometimes I wonder if she's playing tricks on me. Mwahahaha. How is work going? Are you back full time this week?

15. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@Happygal: I kid you not, as of this past weekend, E has started lifting her head and shoulders up off the back of the Rock-and-Play while she's laying in there! Which is fine, I guess, except she also gets super ticked that she can't sit up. It's going to be a long few months if she stays that mad about not being able to sit up on her own.

Work is going great! It's actually really nice to be back. Even though I really miss her during the day, being a working mama is definitely the best situation for me right now. I go back full time a week from today, and that'll be a new hurdle--I have to take her to her daycare lady's house instead of just leaving her at home with her grandma/aunt/friends! I might be feeling differently about loving being back at work after that.

16. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@Happygal: A is a huge kicker. She just falls asleep eventually lol there's never any crying!

1. What time is bedtime? 8:30-9
    2. What is your routine? Food/diaper/jammies/story/bed
    3. Do you do a dream feed or an extra feed before you go to sleep? No but we're still doing a MOTN feed which is fine for me!
    4. Where is your baby sleeping? She slept in her crib for the first time last night!
    5. Do you help the baby fall asleep (rocking, patting, bouncing, etc) or do you just put the baby down and walk away? Nope! She's usually either extremely sleepy or asleep by then so she doesn't need any help. The other night she fell asleep in mid play with a "toy" a friend made in one hand lol

17. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@mfa_lady: So glad you're enjoying being back at work! I'm sure next week will be fine.

18. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

So B just got back from her first sick visit (a congested cough that started Saturday morning and worsened throughout the weekend) and she tested positive for RSV and Flu (B). No meds as of yet, we are on a wait and see approach since she really isn't all that bad. Also, big sis has strep and RSV.

19. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@namaste: Good for you for getting A into the crib! Hope it was a smooth transition.

20. Happygal

pomelo / 5000 posts

@Radish: Oh no! That's serious stuff. I'm so sorry. How is she doing? How are YOU doing?

@mfa_lady: J lifted her head high at the doctor's and it reminded me of E.T. She also pushed up on her arms and lifted up her head, something she rarely does during tummy time at home. I think she was showing off for her doctor!

@namaste: It sounds like you're part of the January Easing Going Baby club! Lucky bunch here. Maybe it's all the yoga you did while pregnant!

21. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Radish: oh no, hope the girls are feeling better soon!

@namaste: yeah for a successful transition to the crib.

22. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@Radish: oh no, I hope they feel better soon! When L had RSV he didn't get drugs because he was only a month old, and he was still better within a week or less. But I'm not sure if they warned you it's like day 3 or 4 that is the worst and after that it seemed to get better rapidly. There has been crazy strep going around our daycare too! Hope everyone is healthy quick.

23. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@Radish: Oh no! I just saw this (we must've been posting at the same time earlier. Hope your girls feel better in no time.

24. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@Radish: oh my goodness, poor B! And poor A. And poor mommy. I hope everyone is better soon. Sick kids are no fun.

25. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@mfa_lady: i really liked going back to work too! Although I am enjoying this maternity leave more this time around, i still feel like I would not be a good sahm. Glad it is going well for you. I am sure she will love daycare too.

26. charmed

persimmon / 1177 posts

@Radish: hope your little ones feel better soon!!

I am envious of you all with early bedtimes!! If I put A down before 9, she is up again at midnight, then again at 2, 4, etc.

1. What time is bedtime? 9-10pm
    2. What is your routine? Diaper change, jammies, swaddle, nurse.
    3. Do you do a dream feed or an extra feed before you go to sleep? Nope, I go to bed when she does.
    4. Where is your baby sleeping? Rock n play next to our bed. Hoping to transition back to the bassinet this week, then the crib after that. (She was in the bassinet for awhile, but then she got a cold and I thought the incline from the rock n play would help with congestion)
    5. Do you help the baby fall asleep (rocking, patting, bouncing, etc) or do you just put the baby down and walk away? She usually passes out when she's done nursing, so I just lay her down and leave.

27. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@Radish: Oh no Sending healing thoughts to your home!

@Happygal: Hah! She definitely has her moments. She's extra clingy today which is a little difficult to navigate with my deadlines.

28. Radish

nectarine / 2079 posts

Thanks, everyone, B is about the same and we are on day 4 so I'm hoping that means we are in the clear for anything more serious.

29. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

Question from a FTM over here. How much/how often are your kiddos eating? We've been doing every three hours for the most part, but more and more often she's screaming when I try to feed her. Honestly, I think she's just not hungry yet when that happens! She'll take a pacifier and stop crying, so I know she's content or at least able to be. And sometimes she still latches on absolutely no problem (aka it seems when she's actually hungry), and she's taking bottles fine when I'm at work.

She's 12 weeks old tomorrow, so is it okay to stretch her to 3.5 or 4 hours between feeds? That would sometimes mean only 5 or 6 feeds a day! I'm so terrified for some reason of her not getting enough.

30. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@mfa_lady: i usually do 3.5-4 hrs between feeds. when i try to do 3 hours, she doesn't seem to be very hungry. i only do 6 feeds in a 24-hour period (one wakeup overnight).

one thing i don't get is how to not have a fussy baby before bedtime. she can only be awake 1-1.5 hrs before she starts getting really fussy, and i usually cannot time her naps right so that her bedtime happens during a non-fussy period. anyone know what i'm talking about or have any advice?

31. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@SleepyMonkey: Man, this makes me feel SO much better. I feel like it was just recently that I was stretching her to three hours--but really, it was a month ago! And a month ago is a lifetime when your lifetime isn't even three months long. Ha!

As for the bedtime fussiness, I think it's VERY normal. I joke and say E gets grumpier as the day goes on, but...it's actually not a joke.

32. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

We have been doing 5 nights of 730 bedtimes. It has been hit or miss. Tonight was a miss. Tried to put her down 4x and she woke up every time. So now i am in bed with her and she is sleeping soundly. I am afraid we are going to have to do CIO to get her to fall asleep on her own. She seems to be so sensitive about her sleep!

@mfa_lady: ok glad i am not alone!!

33. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@SleepyMonkey: Definitely not alone. Honestly, I think we'll end up having to do CIO, too. I'm just not quite ready yet. I'll feel better about it when she can soothe herself a little better. When she's not swaddled and in her RNP, she's already getting good at using the pacifier and her favorite teddy bear to calm herself down. But when she's swaddled she's still kind of helpless, so for now we're doing lots of rocking. I know it's bad, but you know...mama's gotta do what mama's gotta do. And for now, it's rocking her to sleep so I can then at least have the tiniest bit of my evening back.

34. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@mfa_lady: im not ready at all! CIO is so so painful. It worked like a charm with dd1 but it sucked majorly. This one doesn't have any self soothing mechanisms yet. She doesnt take a paci and she hasn't quite mastered hand movement so she cant suck on that either. So i am scared to do cio! But i cannot rock her to sleep every night, my back is crap and can't handle it. Sorry i am being a total downer and dramatic right now!

35. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@SleepyMonkey: If this is dramatic, I think you're doing just fine, mama! This sleep business is tough with these little monsters in the house. I'm going back to work full time next week and am dreading how it's going to go. I love being back at work, but I've felt totally drained by my drive home this week--which has been at 2PM because I've only been part time the last two weeks. Sheesh--I know I'll survive, but dang.

36. keepcalmcarrie

persimmon / 1096 posts

@SleepyMonkey: @mfa_lady: OMG, the bedtime fussiness is insane. H is usually a happy guy most of the day, and he loves bath time, but as soon as that's over at 6:45ish, it's like a switch flips. He is super grumpy about the last feed, fights falling asleep, wrestles around in my arms, etc. The fussiness has been going on for a few weeks, but the fighting sleep just started a few nights ago. We've also switched him entirely to bottles and formula (confirmed MSPI, and I'm pumping to keep up my supply for the moment but not planning to completely eliminate everything from my diet) so I think he's confused/bummed about that

37. keepcalmcarrie

persimmon / 1096 posts

Oh, also, H is almost 15 freaking pounds. 14 lbs 10 oz at his 2 month appointment on Monday, and 24 inches. These kids are beefcakes (DS1 is 24 months and 33.5 lbs) My poor back!!

38. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@mfa_lady: don't worry! Its tough the first week back but you adjust and it gets easier each day. I found it all very overwhelming when i went back to work with dd1 but you find your routine really quickly and then it is just second nature. I really like being a wohm. I appreciate the time with my kids more and I'm a better mom to them as a result.

39. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@keepcalmcarrie: I'm so sorry to hear about the MSPI--I know that's tough on you (and it sounds like H isn't making it any easier!). But it sounds like the switch will be better for you guys in the long run! I hope the fighting sleep is a phase for your little guy. Unfortunately once it started it hasn't seemed to stop over here...but I wish you much better luck than we've had.

40. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@keepcalmcarrie: WHOA! My friends have a 4 month old who weighs 16 pounds! Clearly you have nothing to worry about in the feeding arena, mama. No matter what you're doing, that little dude is getting what he needs!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee