Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

November 2017 Moms!

1. snarkybiochemist

nectarine / 2180 posts

@mrsbubbletea: I've been spending lots of time doing skin to skin it's great. Some times her latch feels better then other times. I have only pumped twice so far for about 20 min at a time, her other supplentation has been formula, she typically takes .5oz-1oz after nursing

2. mrsbubbletea

nectarine / 2821 posts

@snarkybiochemist: that sounds great! I️ think 20 min is a long time, if you want to try a little shorter. But if it’s not bothering you, it shouldn’t hurt (unless it does hurt!). Hang in there mama.

3. snarkybiochemist

nectarine / 2180 posts

@mrsbubbletea: I think I might need different sized flanges, but I'm not 100% sure

4. snarkybiochemist

nectarine / 2180 posts

She gained 5oz!!

5. mrsbubbletea

nectarine / 2821 posts

@snarkybiochemist: nice!

6. shellio

pear / 1614 posts

I love reading everyone's baby updates and will have to check out the birth stories (and share my own) soon! We welcomed baby boy Odin last Wednesday at 2:39am, we had a repeat C section scheduled for Thursday but I was having more regular and intense contractions Tuesday evening and we went in to triage and ended up having the C section later that night. We were team green for the first time, this was our fourth and last baby, and it was so much fun to find out and share the news with everyone that it was a boy. We've been home 3 nights so far and they've all been different, we are getting in our breastfeeding groove and his big siblings (ages 2, 4, 5) are always looking for their next turn to snuggle baby Odie.

7. mrsbubbletea

nectarine / 2821 posts

@snarkybiochemist: how you guys holding up?

8. snarkybiochemist

nectarine / 2180 posts

@mrsbubbletea: thanks for checking in, we are breast feeding and then supplementing with either formula or breast milk. My breasts literally never feel full or consequently empty after she eats and I've never experienced the let down feeling.

9. mrsbubbletea

nectarine / 2821 posts

@snarkybiochemist: it took me a long time to experience the let down feeling, possibly not till i went back to work, but the full/empty thing is a different story. Before I nurse, if it’s been a while, they will feel slightly firmer and sort of lumpy, and after they feel much softer. Can you do a weighted feed?

10. periwinklebee

grapefruit / 4466 posts

@shellio: Thread crashing to say that I'm so, so, so happy to see your update Congrats!!!!!

@snarkybiochemist: I hope the feeding continues to improve - great that she's gaining well!

11. mrsbubbletea

nectarine / 2821 posts

@shellio: i forgot to say congratulations!!!!! I️ love his name.

12. snarkybiochemist

nectarine / 2180 posts

@mrsbubbletea: I'm hoping that when I see an lc they will do a weighted feed.
    @periwinklebee: Thanks, I just had to get over supplementing since she really did need it

13. MsMini

grapefruit / 4056 posts

@shellio: Congratulations!
    @snarkybiochemist: I’m sorry you guys have been struggling. I know breastmilk suppky is a common issue with PCOS (which if I remember correctly you have) but lots of people have good luck using domperidone in that situation). Pumping after feeding is one of the best things you can do though! Keep telling your body it needs to make more and hopefully it will listen!

14. snarkybiochemist

nectarine / 2180 posts

@MsMini: yea I have PCOS and hypothyroid and both can cause low supply. I am doing the best I can while also cutting myself some slack about needing to use formula. I'm meeting with a lc either tomorrow or next week and I will talk about my options then.

15. MsMini

grapefruit / 4056 posts

@snarkybiochemist: I have used some formula with all 3 of my kiddos. I tried this time to avoid it with expressing colostrum beforehand but still ended up needing formula (Spencer stopped peeing while on phototherapy). You know what, my kids are still as awesome and weird as my friends with EBF babies! I hope you guys can figure out a way to cut the supplements, but even if you can’t, any amount of breastmilk you provide is awesome, and your kid is bound to be awesomely weird anyways (they are all weird eventually 😉)

16. periwinklebee

grapefruit / 4466 posts

@snarkybiochemist: My understanding is that the scientific evidence indicates that the main benefits of breastmilk - that is, passing along some immunity and reducing the risk of intestinal infections - are equally transmitted with combo feeding, even when only a modest share of the calories comes from breast milk. I think it's awesome that people EBF - and I can see how it can actually be more convenient not to deal with bottles for people who have great supply - but I feel like the stigma around combo feeding is more about society's discomfort with women moving out of traditional gender roles and not about anything that affects the well-being of babies.

17. shellio

pear / 1614 posts

@periwinklebee: @mrsbubbletea: @MsMini: Thank you! Picking a name got harder and harder with each kid

@snarkybiochemist: Good for you for working so hard but especially for cutting yourself some slack. I know many capable and healthy adults and don't know whether any of them was breast or formula fed. (To put it in perspective )

18. snarkybiochemist

nectarine / 2180 posts

@MsMini: @periwinklebee: @shellio: thank you all for both allowing me to be frustrated but also reminding me that I'm doing a good job and that fed is best. The health benefits are the main reason I wanted to breast feed, followed by cost. But really I just want my daughter yo grow up being an awesome little weirdo which will happen regardless of food type since I'm a grown up weirdo who was combo feed.

19. snarkybiochemist

nectarine / 2180 posts

The lactation consultant appt went really well. The lc was super nice and didn't make me feel bad for needing to supplement with either pumped milk or formula. Evelyn latches great and does a good job removing milk from my breast the problem is my supply and it's likely I will always need to supplement. She takes about an oz through breast feeding, so we have a plan to try and increase my supply and keep up the supplementing. My insurance covers unlimited lactation visits, so we can keep going back to evaluate. They also have weekly group sessions and allow you to use their scales during those times. So we have a plan and support and it's all good.

20. mrsbubbletea

nectarine / 2821 posts

@snarkybiochemist: So happy to hear how well it went! You are awesome! Why do I feel like Evelyn and Eleanor need to be friends based on their names alone?

On a totally other random note, just had a weird peanut gallery experience at trader joes. Tons of sweet people were making comments, asking how old, etc. Then this middle aged man asks "How old?" Followed by... "Thank you for choosing life!". Like what the heck do you say to that?

21. helloperidot

cherry / 236 posts

@mrsbubbletea: "Eew." That's what I would say, but I have the same reaction to "Namaste". I also might have given him a polite FU smile and said "well, you know, my body my choice" but I have very little patience with people these days.

Ladies, I'm so bummed and frustrated. Had my cervix checked last week (1cm, 50% effaced, baby at -2), then today had another check along with my membrane sweep-- I'm at 1.5cm, 25% effaced and baby is back up at -4! I started bawling in the office because I am so done with being pregnant. I also really wanted to avoid spending the holiday in the hospital. I have another membrane sweep on Monday so here's hoping for some progression by then...I'm only a 3 on the Bishop scale for elective induction, and you have to be at least a 6 or more.

And my hormones are out of control so right now everything just sucks.

22. snarkybiochemist

nectarine / 2180 posts

@mrsbubbletea: I'm happy too. Evelyn and Eleanor do sound cute together

23. shellio

pear / 1614 posts

@helloperidot: I love that response! (My body my choice.) And @mrsbubbletea: what a bizarre comment. So many people need to just mind their own business.

24. mrsbubbletea

nectarine / 2821 posts

@helloperidot: boo. The end of pregnancy is so frustrating! I think those checks are so subjective. Don’t let it discourage you too much (easier said than done I know!)

25. mrsbubbletea

nectarine / 2821 posts

@shellio: I know right?? What a weirdo.

26. chenergized

olive / 55 posts

Baby Eleanor arrived on Monday, 11/13 (her due date) at 4:05 AM! Long labor, but quick delivery! I had to be induced on Saturday night and labored for 28 hours. I pushed her out in about 30 mins though, which the nurses were impressed by, considering it was my first. We even sat around waiting for the doctor to show up because no one expected me to push her out so quickly 😂

We are so in love with our little nugget 😍

27. snarkybiochemist

nectarine / 2180 posts

@chenergized: welcome Eleanor glad to hear you are both doing well

28. Bea

kiwi / 578 posts

Baby boy came on Thanksgiving. We are doing well. My last appointment was Wednesday at 40+5 and I was still completely closed but cervix was soft. I was set to be induced on Friday (41 weeks). At 10:30 that night I had a painful contraction then one more six minutes later then they came every 2 minutes 30 seconds. We headed to the hospital after only 30 minutes of these and when we arrived at 11:45 I was at an 8. Blew our minds! Baby was born a couple hours later. 💙

29. mrsbubbletea

nectarine / 2821 posts

@chenergized: yay! Welcome baby Eleanor!❤

@Bea: wow! How amazing and intense! Glad you avoided an induction.

30. helloperidot

cherry / 236 posts

I'm still pregnant. 40+3. Induction scheduled for Tuesday, doing an NST in the doctors office right now.

So. Over. It.

31. mrsbubbletea

nectarine / 2821 posts

@helloperidot: how are you holding up?

32. helloperidot

cherry / 236 posts

Not very well? Hahaha. DH says I'm being great but I'm super crabby at everyone and everything. I'm dilated to a 3.5, having random contractions, but nothing doing. I keep telling people I'm like a car battery; just need a little jumpstart. We've tried everything and it's like little girl is just snuggled in there laughing.

On the bright side, about half of the Christmas decor is up, so there is that. And no matter what it's all over tomorrow. At least I'll get one more night of relatively restful sleep?

33. snarkybiochemist

nectarine / 2180 posts

@helloperidot: good luck tomorrow, soon you will meet your little girl

34. helloperidot

cherry / 236 posts

They just called and my induction has been bumped to Wednesday, of course. I'm going in this afternoon for a 3rd membrane sweep and then I'm going to eat ALL the damn pineapple I can find and my husband is getting some special times and baby better decide to get here after that!!!

35. snarkybiochemist

nectarine / 2180 posts

@helloperidot: oh no that sucks I hope baby gets the message today to come out on her own

36. mrsbubbletea

nectarine / 2821 posts

@helloperidot: omg! I am so mad for you.

37. helloperidot

cherry / 236 posts

I finally had a baby!!!

Isobel Quinn was born November 28th, 2017 at 10:49pm after I snagged an earlier induction appointment due to dumb luck. She's 19.75 inches long and weighs 7lbs 4oz. She is perfect and also looks like a grumpy Walter Mathieu. 😂😂😂

Her birth story is kind of crazy. Otherwise we are happy, healthy, and home. Also, big sister says "My love you, baby sister! My your big sister!"

38. snarkybiochemist

nectarine / 2180 posts

@helloperidot: yay I'm so glad she is here

39. mrsbubbletea

nectarine / 2821 posts

@helloperidot: yippee! Welcome isobel! And you for no more prego! I wonder if anyone is still pregnant? I hope you update the birth story thread, I still mean to as well

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee