Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

October 2015 Moms!

1. babycanuck

pomegranate / 3105 posts

Tomorrow is the dreaded glucose test...hope all of you ladies are doing well

2. NovBaby1112

grapefruit / 4066 posts

Woo hoo! Passed the 3 hour with flying colors, thank freaking god!

3. babycanuck

pomegranate / 3105 posts

@NovBaby1112: awesome!

4. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

@NovBaby1112: yaaaayyyyy!!!!!!

5. cranberry

apricot / 305 posts

@Charm54: My iron levels are low too. They suggested I take iron supplements twice a day, but I think I'm going to start with eating more iron rich food, taking an iron supplement once a day, and making sure I take my prenatal vitamin (which also has iron in it). I think I've been forgetting to take it a lot lately. oops.

@Mrs. Goose: Beautiful photos! That looks like a great trip.

@NovBaby1112: Congrats on passing!

I have my 3-hour glucose test on Wednesday. I'm not looking forward to having my blood taken that many times. They tend to have trouble finding my veins and I often end up with bruises. Usually I just try to make sure I'm hydrated since that seems to help, but that's not an option this time since I can't have any water after midnight. Oh well. Just hoping I'll pass.

6. Charm54

cantaloupe / 6885 posts

@NovBaby1112: that's great news!!!

@cranberry: I'm being more diligent with my prenatal vitamin too...I was pretty scatterbrained about it for the past month. The nurse said taking the vitamin with juice will help the iron absorption

7. Rainbow Sprinkles

eggplant / 11287 posts

WARNING: LONG POST!

So I am officially 30 weeks (+2) and I had an appointment last week. I am just now getting over here to share, though! It was an interesting appointment.

I had an ultrasound, and baby was measuring REALLY big. I wasn't too surprised, because my DD2 was 10 days early and still weighed 8 lbs, 9 oz. However, OB wasn't thrilled. She said the baby's stomach is measuring in the 95th percentile, and their belly is really the only thing that can be "controlled" in utero (everything else like length, head size, etc. is genetic). So she said that excess fat depositing on baby (chubby belly) usually means impaired glucose tolerance in the mama (aka GD). I found this really strange because my glucose screening numbers have always been on the low side of passing. Sure enough, I passed my glucose screening this time, too. With flying colors!

But doctor starting bringing up all the things that can go wrong when your baby is too big, like shoulder dystocia and broken arms/collar bones, dislocated shoulders, etc. That totally freaked me out, and I told her that if it comes down to it, I would way rather have a c-section than deliver a baby with a broken bone! She told me that even though I don't have GD, she wants me to watch my sugar and carb intake and basically eat as if I do have gestational diabetes, and hopefully that will slow down the baby's weight gain and and allow the rest of her body to catch up with her belly!

All of this is quite confusing to me, because I am wondering if I am not even close to having GD, maybe what I am eating is not affecting baby and it's just her genetics? Maybe I am destined to make big babies? I also am a bit skeptical of how accurate those ultrasounds are at measuring weight. I know countless people who were told their baby was going to be 9+ lbs and they came out at 7 lbs! As of last week, the baby was measuring just under 4 lbs, which is pretty big for 30 weeks.

Also, my iron was really low (levels were at an 8 and she wanted to see them at a 12) so I got some iron supplements. Hopefully they give me some energy and I get the levels up quickly. I have been completely wiped lately!

I have another ultrasound 3 weeks from now to check in on baby's size. I really hope things look more "normal," because if anything about my pregnancy is considered out of the ordinary, I won't be eligible for a waterbirth. I really want to have one!

Oh, and one last thing. I was up 23 lbs at 30 weeks and my doctor said she wants my weight gain to slow down. She even said "I wouldn't be mad if you lost weight." 23 lbs is definitely more than I had gained at this point with previous pregnancies, but it doesn't seem too far from the norm to me! Even if I go to 40 weeks and gain 1 lb per week, that's still only 33 lbs total for the whole pregnancy! Sometimes I feel like my OB is really extreme.

Where are you ladies at with your gain? Has your doc said much to you about it?

Anyway, sorry for the super long post! I love reading every single one of these updates. I've read every last word!

8. MamaBear87

nectarine / 2288 posts

@babycanuck: good luck! Mine is tomorrow too. Trying to keep off the carbs today.
    @NovBaby1112: Yay! Glad you made it thru! @Rainbow Sprinkles: my gain was super low until 20 weeks. Then I gained almost 10 in 4 weeks. No good! It's tapered off a little but I'm still cringing at the scale. My doc just wanted me to pay more attention to what I was eating, she also said if you start slow sometimes it springs up a bunch in the second. I'm trying not to obsess about it too much.

9. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@babycanuck: good luck! Mine is Wednesday.

@NovBaby1112: yay! I'm so glad it was worth it!

@Rainbow Sprinkles: weird. My lo's belly measured a week ahead of the head (or at least a few days I can't remember) at the anatomy scan. Big sis has/had a small head measurement (no neuro problems) so I wasn't worried but I wonder what will happen next time. What was the ultrasound for to start with? 33 lbs seems normal to me but I'm no doctor...

10. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@MamaBear87: do it do it! I think there are other animals too if you're into them.

11. Rainbow Sprinkles

eggplant / 11287 posts

@2littlepumpkins: It wasn't for anything in particular, just a growth scan! My office gives me a growth every 6 weeks or so just to check in on baby!

12. MamaBear87

nectarine / 2288 posts

@2littlepumpkins: my pet name for hubby is bear so I'll probably stick with the teddy. But of course now I'm going to go look at the adorable other options

13. Mrs. Pickle

blogger / wonderful cherry / 21628 posts

@Rainbow Sprinkles: that sounds really confusing. Hopefully your doctor is satisfied with baby's measurements at your next scan. I'm up 16 lbs at 29 weeks. I didn't gain in the first tri and have been putting on about a pound a week since early in the second. I'll probably end around 30 pounds total, which seems normal to me. My doctor hasn't mentioned my weight at all. Yours does sound pretty strict to me!

14. Mrs. Goose

pear / 1737 posts

@cranberry: iron plus stuff with vitamin c for absorption! I got them to test my level again at 24 weeks because I was having some tired days and it was just borderline to where they suggest you take something or eat more foods with iron. I am taking a vitamin c and an iron pill at night before bed because I thought it would be too hard to add that into my diet as well, especially being a vegetarian. And the only vegetarian foods she suggested were cream of wheat cereal (which has it added to it) and molasses. She did also say avoid calcium with it because that makes iron absorption more difficult.

@Rainbow Sprinkles: hopefully your next scan shows a more even distribution of size! I have you beat for weight gain. I think I am up about +28 now. It kind of seems to correspond with my weeks pregnant and has been that way since about 26 weeks for me. I had only gained 5 at 12 weeks and then it went kind of out of control...through no fault of mine because at no point have I just let loose and binge eaten or eaten a bunch of junk food. It seems to have slowed down a bit now, which I am thankful for because I was freaking out about my weight gain because of all the risks to me/baby- GD, overly large baby, pre-e risk, etc. My midwife hasn't said she is concerned about it. I started at a normal weight for my height and her response to my weight has just been that's fine and said I can walk more if I want to and am personally concerned. 33 pounds up seems a-ok to me. I think weight gain is one of those things that everyone has a different opinion about and sometimes they are basing their opinion off different information than other medical practitioners. It sounds like you are a big baby maker! Which to me is positive as your baby comes out healthy and sturdier than some of the smaller ones!

15. Mrs. Pickle

I spent the weekend obsessing over baby movement. She wasn't giving me the big kicks that I've come to expect. It made me really anxious that something was wrong. My logical side was saying that she probably moved into a position where I can't feel her as well. Last night she got really squirmy again and today she's been kicking me almost non stop. So I was worrying for nothing.

I had a baby shower on Saturday and it was really lovely. I received some sentimental gifts as well as a few things off my registry. I had fun yesterday putting things away.

We finished baby's crib last week and it's in her room now!

16. cranberry

apricot / 305 posts

@Charm54: @Mrs. Goose: Thanks for the tips! I wasn't aware that vitamin C and/or juice was helpful for iron absorption. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

17. Mrs. Goose

pear / 1737 posts

@Mrs. Pickle: I did the exact same thing a few days ago. I was about to take myself to the hospital to check. I lay down with no noise or distractions to count them and it ended up being okay. I told my pregnant friend it is hard because you wait to feel the movements and then feel relieved and then you worry all over again about frequency of movements and how they feel. I get less kicks now and more big body shifts. And I can feel a hard lump that is a head or a bum I am guessing and it sticks out a bit sometimes. Everyone mentions you can miss movements while busy or moving around a lot, but I feel like even when I am out and doing stuff or up and about I am always paying attention to them so I do feel anxious if I don't feel as many as on a previous day.

Crib pictures!!! Glad you had a nice baby shower.

Last week I had this weird dizzy episode at night time while lying in bed. The room was spinning and I was just lying there on my side. I got up to pee and had a hard time walking properly because of being dizzy. I mentioned it to my husband as he fell asleep, but I thought it would go away. Anyway, I thought about calling the midwife, but it was nearly midnight and I had no other worrying symptoms off the list they have where you should call and at that point I could feel the baby moving quite a bit. When I called the next day she said that it didn't sound related to my pregnancy and could have just been a one time thing. I do also have low blood pressure at every appointment so far. It didn't happen again yet thankfully. She had suggested going to my regular doctor if it does though because it isn't due to my pregnancy. It was just a really disconcerting experience to be dizzy while lying down. When I was talking with a pregnant friend a few days later she mentioned extreme dizziness she had experienced. Hers was worse than mine though and lasted a bit longer. She said she thinks hers was due to heat over a camping weekend.

18. MamaBear87

nectarine / 2288 posts

@Mrs. Pickle: I make myself crazy over the movements too! I think my lo has also just moved so I don't feel her as much but it's nerve racking! Glad your shower was fun!
    @Mrs. Goose: dizzy is no good! Hopefully it doesn't come back

19. NovBaby1112

grapefruit / 4066 posts

@babycanuck: @hellobeeboston: @cranberry: @Charm54: @MamaBear87: @2littlepumpkins: thanks!! Super relieved!

@babycanuck: good luck tomorrow!!

@cranberry: good luck on Wednesday!!

@Rainbow Sprinkles: hmm that's strange your OB wasn't satisfied with your weight gain- that seems normal to me! I was up 17lbs at 27 weeks, not sure what I am now at 29 weeks. Hopefully everything is ok with the baby and your ob is just being super cautious. Hopefully your next growth scan will be good, I don't necessarily think they can tell totally accurately how big the baby is either though.

20. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@NovBaby1112: woo hoo! I hope I have the same result!@Rainbow Sprinkles: I was up about 15-17lbs at 26 weeks and 33 lbs total is basically what I gained with Lo1 and what I hope to stick to this time!

21. NovBaby1112

grapefruit / 4066 posts

@hilsy85: hoping you pass too! When is your test?

22. Charm54

cantaloupe / 6885 posts

@Rainbow Sprinkles: total commiseration over here! I am up 20lbs at 29 weeks and my Dr gave me a pamphlet on exercising during pregnancy, eating smaller portions etc. I don't think 20lbs is crazy though?! I was up more at this point with DD and I had a total 35lb gain .... Maybe it's because I've gained 12lbs in the past 2 months that she gave me extra caution....though I'm SO exhausted this time chasing after a toddler I admittedly am not taking care of myself as well as I should. Hugs !!

23. jodyblair

kiwi / 611 posts

I have my glucose test on Wednesday as well as an ultrasound to check the location of my placenta. It was low lying at my anatomy scan so I'm really hoping it has moved up and won't cause any issues with a vaginal birth.

I was up about 17 pounds at my 24 week appointment. It seems like a lot to me, but it was right after vacation and I haven't been walking as much because it has been SO hot out. I'm a little nervous that I'll end up gaining a lot more than I did with LO1

24. jodyblair

kiwi / 611 posts

Oh and does anyone know what position their LO is in? I can't tell at all! Another reason to look forward to my ultrasound on Wednesday

25. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@jodyblair: head down at my last appt! Doc always does an ultrasound, I had guessed she was head down since I was feeing her tush in my ribs!@NovBaby1112: have to go sometime this week, ugh.

26. MamaBear87

nectarine / 2288 posts

@jodyblair: mine is currently breech. I think she maybe turned in the last couple days based on movement changes. Won't know for sure til my next ultrasound Aug 4th

27. babycanuck

pomegranate / 3105 posts

Waiting to see the Dr...I didn't finish the whole drink, I tossed a little out and I don't feel guilty. They gave me five minutes and t took almost 20 and almost puking so whatever!!!

My mom is concerned that I might put too much weight on in this last trimester. My theory is as long as I'm healthy. The good news is I put 15 of the 30 I lost back on.

28. babycanuck

pomegranate / 3105 posts

Ok so come back in a week for results. He said no more juice and only eat fruit with a meal, not snacking on it. So weird. They were so concerned about my weight loss with Hg and now they say I've put on too much.

29. Mrs. Goose

pear / 1737 posts

@babycanuck: that is really weird! I thought it would be positive that you have been able to gain back a good amount.

30. Mrs. Pickle

@babycanuck: I'm glad you got it down! And that is weird. It seems like they'd be happy you're gaining weight again. Fifteen pounds in the second tri doesn't sound bad at all. That's what I gained and my doctor is fine with it.

31. MamaBear87

nectarine / 2288 posts

@babycanuck: glad you made it. I'm currently doing mine. 30 min down hour and a half to go.
    I'm convinced the weight thing is super subjective. I'm really trying to just focus on eating decently and not obsess about my weight. And especially with your hg I'd think they'd be happy your gaining

32. babycanuck

pomegranate / 3105 posts

Ok so update: I was so upset about the convo with the doctor I spoke to the dietician at the hospital I've been dealing with for my HG. She said the doctor probably doesn't realize I'm still below my pre-preg weight and called me to say I passed the test (THANK GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and to continue eating whatever I want. She's going to talk to the OB so next week my convo with him may be different. I hope he's not upset with me going to her, I just felt so confused.

33. BelugaBean

pomegranate / 3516 posts

Yay for everyone who passed their glucose test and good luck to those who have to take it/are waiting for results!

@Rainbow Sprinkles: I gained 38 lb at my highest point with my it at pregnancy, I was up 34 the day I gave birth. This time, I'm up about 24ish at 28 weeks (the doctor measured me at a 19 lb gain at 27 but I feel like it's a little more). I'm more active this time and I enjoy sweets, but I'm eating much better. I actually asked about the gain at one point because I was already technically overweight prepregnancy (by like 5 lb) and I was hoping to gain less. I'm on track to only gain a couple of pounds less though. They told me to not worry about it, do what I can and that's all I can do. I gained 6lb in a month where they wanted me to gain 4 and the midwife told me it was only 2lb more and it wasn't worth the stress. I'm surprised you were out on a diet but maybe my office is just laid back about it?

34. MamaBear87

nectarine / 2288 posts

@babycanuck: I would have gotten a second opinion too! Glad you got some clarity and I would keep enjoying food

Fingers crossed I passed the test. Because if I have to take the 3 hour on top of the 2 hour I will be really not happy

35. Mrs. Goose

pear / 1737 posts

@babycanuck: good for you for going to see the other person and get clarification. Kind of crappy that the doctor wasn't potentially up to date on your whole situation.

36. NovBaby1112

grapefruit / 4066 posts

@jodyblair: so exciting you have a US tomorrow! Hoping for good news re your placenta moving! Good luck on your GD test too

@babycanuck: yay for passing!!! That's so strange they said that to you, but glad your dietician straightened it out!!

This is a total complaining post and I apologize in advance, I feel bad complaining when I know others have it much worse and I feel very thankful everything is okay with baby so far...but omg I have just reached the point of being DONE...annnnd I still have 11 weeks left. I'm just so so done. Sleeping has been awful lately, I feel like I can't breathe and sciatica pain has kicked in. My belly just feels huge, at that point where it's a pain to get up. Thank the dear lord I can sit all day at work, I have no clue how I would do this at home with a toddler...I really give all you SAHMs so much credit in this heat! I swear, once I hit 37 weeks I am going to do every old wives trick in the book to get things going!

37. babycanuck

pomegranate / 3105 posts

@NovBaby1112: I've been done since about 6 weeks ago so it's not just you!

38. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@NovBaby1112: @babycanuck: I'm right there with you ladies. I honestly thought pregnancy was so much easier than newborn hood with lo1 but I am so ready for this little guy to be out!

39. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@NovBaby1112: also there with you!! It is just all of a sudden really hard to move around, and I am uncomfortable a lot. And I am just ready to meet this little girl...but I still have a whole!

Currently getting ready for blood draw 3 of the 3 hour glucose test blah.

40. natalie403

grape / 91 posts

Hi ladies! Im back on the grid I think I was a month behind but just finished reading! I'm 28 weeks today.... I can't believe it!!! Had my glucose test yesterday, no word yet (did people just get called the next day? I have an appt next Friday with my OB).

As for symptoms: my hands and feet keep going numb and swelling... I'm assuming thanks to this lovely heat. I'm normally a size 6.5 shoe.... I had to get size 9 flip flops..... way to make me feel like I'm slowly turning into an elephant lol!! I also get this lovely cramp in the upper right (literally under my boob). It is so hard to get rid of cause I can't stretch it out or anything, I brought it up to my doc and he said it's probably because I'm petite (I'm only 5 ft) and there's nowhere for my liver to go.... still gonna be a long 3 months....

I survived a camping trip, slept on an air mattress cot... fresh air was nice but still was not the most comfortable trip! I'm also in a wedding the first week of August.... that's gonna be a LONG day!!!! Husband is in it too.

Can't wait to see how people's nurseries are coming together!! I love seeing pix so please post them as you do them!!! We are finally finished registering, now to get that spare bedroom cleaned out is going to be a whole diff project....

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee