Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

September 2014 Mummas - Come out where ever you are!

1. gingerbebe

cantaloupe / 6131 posts

@tequiero21: I have a family history of diabetes and my brain surgery caused a hormonal imbalance in my kidneys that caused me to feel thirsty all the time, so perhaps that's why. I had supplemented with synthetic hormones for a while but stopped needing it last fall, but perhaps baby is putting more demands on my system.

2. psw27

pomelo / 5220 posts

@tequiero27 @gingerbebe I've been doing a lot better with water in 2nd tri. I've always drank a lot - probably about 100 oz a day. I'm definitely still drinking a lot but I do feel dehydrated and thirsty often. Water isn't bothering me anymore luckily so I'm working on it, it just is hard to drink a lot in the evening since I know I will be up all night going to the bathroom!!

3. Mrs. Jump Rope

blogger / coconut / 8306 posts

@gingerbebe: I drink a LOT too and someone did mention the possibility of diabetes to me. I'm hoping there isn't a correlation!

4. gingerbebe

cantaloupe / 6131 posts

@Mrs. Jump Rope: I know right? I have to take the 3-hour glucose test again at 28 weeks so we'll see. My doctor asked me how much water I drank at my last appointment and it was about a gallon a day, sometimes more, plus other liquids (tea, coffee, juice, etc.) which sorta seems like a lot, but he wasn't concerned so I guess I'll just keep an eye on it.

5. Pancakes

nectarine / 2180 posts

@Gingerbebe: @Mrs. Jump Rope: I thought you were supposed to drink a lot of water when pregnant? I've never heard of it being a bad thing.

6. Mrs. Jump Rope

@Pancakes: you are supposed to increase your water intake, which is why the comment made to me was a bit confusing.

I'm not diabetic so I don't have any experience, but someone mentioned to me that a sign of diabetes is frequent thirst.

7. gingerbebe

cantaloupe / 6131 posts

@Mrs. Jump Rope: I do think there's something to the water and diabetes thing - it was one of the first symptoms my dad had when he finally got diagnosed. But I think just being pregnant makes you thirsty in general, so its hard to tell.

I was just surprised there were people here who were feeling dehydrated is all. I just get so thirsty if I don't have a sip of water every few minutes that its hard to imagine not drinking enough. I did go through a phase where cold water made me feel queasy so I drank lots of hot water, but I was always thirsty.

8. Mrs. Jump Rope

I suddenly feel very overwhelmed with everything that needs to be done to prepare for baby.

Our to-do list has a domino effect: in order too be anything from the nursery (storage room right now), we have to finish clearing out the basement. In order to install the new floors in our bedroom & Chloe's, the nursery has to be emptied (only place for us to put the furniture while the floors are done). I can't do anything nursery related until the bedrooms are finished, and that also means moving Chloe to a regular bed so we can use the crib for baby. I haven't even started to look for beds or mattresses..

It all feels like a lot of work, and I'm frustrated because I can't pitch in. It's all falling on my husbands shoulders and I'm starting to get impatient. It isn't his fault; obviously he works and isn't home until 5:30, and at that point it's dinner + play before Chloe goes to bed at 8.

Our weekends have been shot for months. In spur of the moment fashion, he might do our bedroom this weekend. We are literally busy every weekend through June.

I'm starting to regret RSVPing yes to everything and almost want to cancel my bday dinner so we have an extra day of "work".

9. tequiero21

honeydew / 7968 posts

@gingerbebe: I'm rarely thirsty, ugh. I have to force myself to drink. I'm only thirsty when I eat food.

@Pancakes: never said it was a bad thing to drink lots of water. Just that it was a major sign for my bil that he had diabetes. He was always thirsty and always needed like a 20 drink with him, or whatever the biggest slurpy size drink is.

@Mrs. Jump Rope: things always get done! Just focus on one thing at a time. And don't forget to breathe!

10. gingerbebe

cantaloupe / 6131 posts

@Mrs. Jump Rope: Same boat! We have a huge list of things we need to do too and DH is just so busy all the time...AND we have a ticking time clock going because it gets to like 110 degrees here in the summer, so we really should be getting started on some of these projects while its cooler. Sigh.

We have a huge garage hoard we have to get figured out, then swap out our winter clothes and summer clothes in storage somewhere IN that hoard, and deeeeeep clean our bedroom before moving ALL our furniture around (Cal King bed and mattress set, two dressers, a recliner, and all the clothes) so that we can get a baby nook started in our master. We ALSO have to steam vacuum the whole house (rental house carpet) and we have a lot of furniture and rugs that have to get moved around to do so. Plus our master bathroom's shower floor is cracked and we have to get that fixed so that we can use it again (just been using the guest bath).

Sigh. My parents live about 8 hours away and they want to help with baby stuff but really can't from afar, so I'm reallllly tempted to ask them to help DH do some of this stuff. They would totally jump on it (and try to fix stuff whenever they visit anyway), but I just feel bad.

11. Mrs. Jump Rope

@gingerbebe: I've stopped fein bad asking for help. I used to have a real problem with it (and my husband would say I still do) but I ask for help a lot more now than I ever did before. It's especially hard since I'm not allowed to lift anything.

I did call and ask my parents for help today. I talked to DH this morning and we decided to go ahead and do our bedroom this weekend. My parents are going to let Chloe and I sleep over Friday night then keep Chloe for a bit on Saturday so my husband can do the floors without anyone in the house. I think my mom and I are going to go bed shopping on Friday. It's one less thing for my husband to have to do, and with my moms help I can get it done. I'm considering an IKEA bed because they're so inexpensive. We plan on moving in the future and want to get the kids nice furniture and larger beds, so we will just go the twin bed route right now.

12. gingerbebe

cantaloupe / 6131 posts

@Mrs. Jump Rope: The IKEA toddler beds are so cute. They are nice and low to the ground so they don't have far to fall if they roll out or something. I like really bright colors, so their kids section always slays me.

13. Mrs. Jump Rope

@gingerbebe: I'm thinking a regular twin bed. She needs one eventually, and the toddler bed seems like a waste of money for us.

But she told me today she's a baby, she likes her baby crib (it's converted to a bed right now, and she doesn't want a big girl bed.

Who knows what we will end up with. I'd like her to have some say in choosing the bed. I am hoping that it will get her excited.

14. psw27

pomelo / 5220 posts

@gingerbebe I just feel dehydrated, I don't know if I actually am. I just never feel like I can take in enough water! I've always sort of been like that but its worse now. I drank extra water last night before bed and I actually slept better and had less BH so I think you guys were right!

@mrs. jump rope I totally hear ya on the to-do list. My DH and I can't even agree on what color nursery furniture so nothing has been ordered. I guess once we know gender maybe we can make a decision! I'm glad you are going to be able to check a few things off the list this weekend! My goal is to maybe go look at strollers and a few things to add to the registry (which we still haven't started) on Sunday but it's my birthday so I don't know if I will feel like it!

15. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

DH brought me home flowers at lunch time yesterday, and took the rest of the afternoon off to help me with unpacking (we did finally move into the new house this past weekend, yay!). So he's at least taking good care of me during all this stress.

Also, baby has a marked preference for my right side (though I've felt him/her on the left, and found the heartbeat there a couple of times, so clearly s/he CAN go over there), and now I'm noticing that my belly is lop-sided enough that my belly button is off center. Awesome. Pregnancy is weird.

16. gingerbebe

cantaloupe / 6131 posts

@Torchwood: Awww, that's so sweet. Good to know you're getting good support during this time.

I still haven't felt the baby, although sometimes I get shooting pains on one side or another, which makes me imagine baby stretching out or something. Boo anterior placentas. We check with the doppler and he/she is still pumping away in there at around 150bpms, so I guess we're good. I always find the heartbeat on the right side, so perhaps they like that side more.

On a random note, I'm having this silly, yet annoying situation with DH that reminds me of what it was like when we were wedding planning. Lately, DH just says "whatever you want, honey" to anything I ask him about the baby. Its not that he doesn't care, but he's taken the "whatever she wants, she gets" approach to this pregnancy like he did when we were wedding planning and while that's SUPER sweet of him, I feel like I don't have someone to curb any potential excess! As funny as it sounds, I kinda want him to lay down the law especially because I know he is totally is fine with going 100% minimalist on this baby! We're both pretty conservative about spending in our daily life and we hyper budget for everything, so its sorta driving me crazy that I theoretically COULD go overboard with our money on the baby and DH would be fine with it. With our wedding, I definitely feel like we got a lot of bang for our buck, but I definitely splurged here and there on some frou frou things because I knew DH would be like "whatever you want!"

Literally this is what our conversations are like:

Me: Dude, these Bugaboo strollers are legit over $1000! I can't believe that. (This would be where I want him to say "wow, that's insane!" but instead he says...)
    DH: Do you want one?
    Me: Its very nice, but don't you think it seems like a lot for a stroller? I think its a little much.
    DH: Well, if that's the one you want, we'll get it.
    Me: Uh, no I don't think I can justify that kind of expense.
    DH: Shrug, well whatever you want.

GAH!

We have our anatomy scan tomorrow and I'm literally telling myself that a major pro to having a boy will be having a natural barrier to going nuts on spending. Not that there isn't cute boy stuff to be had, but there's SO much more adorable/senseless girl clothing that one could get carried away with. DH could not care less what our babies wore, but if I showed him some adorable frilly dress that I thought was cute, he'd be like "You like it? Get it." And Lord knows how he'd act towards an actual daughter whining for stuff. We'd be bankrupt.

17. Pancakes

nectarine / 2180 posts

We really haven't done any baby shopping/nursery planning/anything. We did buy a new monitor because Target was having a good sale a few weeks ago, and after almost 3 years, DD's monitor was pretty much done. DD didn't know it at the time, but she did us a huge favor a few months ago when she decided she wanted the guest bedroom to be her room. So she transitioned herself out of her crib (the rail had been off for a loooong time) into a full-sized bed and we've been working on her big girl room for the last few months.

I was very practical when I was pregnant with #1 and bought gender neutral crib bedding, but DD chewed the sh*t out of her crib (as in, even gnawed on the back/headboard piece). The crib (a Graco Lauren) is still functional, but it doesn't look very nice, so I wouldn't mind getting a new crib but we definitely don't HAVE to. We're probably not going to buy a double stroller since DD will be 3.5 in September and we don't use a stroller often anyway. So I guess I just don't feel pressed to do much to prepare. I'm sure we'll get some new clothes, new bottles, etc, but that can all wait.

18. tequiero21

honeydew / 7968 posts

@Torchwood: awww sooo sweet. Glad your hubby is treating u well.

@gingerbebe: haha at least he is not nixing everything u want! I'm like u though. I like to look, but if it's too expensive, I'm like, I don't think I could justify the cost. I think it's nice to splurge on certain items. But other items are just not practical.

@Pancakes: yeah, my kids definitely chewed their cribs, which sux cuz it's a convertible to full size bed. I was imagining them taking them to college lol.

19. gingerbebe

cantaloupe / 6131 posts

HOLY CRAP

I HAVE TWO HUGE STRETCHMARKS RIGHT BELOW MY RIBS RUNNING PARALLEL VERTICALLY DOWN MY FRIGGIN TORSO!!

AND I AM DEVELOPING A LINEA NIGRA!!

HOLY CRAP

20. tequiero21

honeydew / 7968 posts

@gingerbebe: my linea negra never really disappeared.... Yeah.

21. psw27

pomelo / 5220 posts

@torchwood I'm so glad your DH is pampering you and you finally moved into the new house! Is it feeling like home yet?

@gingerbebe my DH and I are kind of in the same boat - except he thinks I am "being cheap" about certain things. For example, he is obsessed with uppababy vista's - which are of course, very nice - but we haven't even researched or seen them in person. I am unsure about spending $1k on a stroller system and he's like its the best one, lets go for it. Argh! I want him to be a little more financially conservative, but he's like your DH - eh whatever, lets get whatever you want and like!
    Good luck at your anatomy scan! woohoo!

22. gingerbebe

cantaloupe / 6131 posts

@psw27: We tried out the strollers at Buy Buy Baby (worst name for a store ever by the way!) and it was a really interesting experience. The Bugaboo was very nice, but it was actually a little more complicated to figure out than I expected! We then looked at the Vista, but surprisingly both actually really liked the UP Cruz more! I didn't even know the Cruz existed until we got there and the employee recommended it as his favorite. We don't live in the city, so the Vista seemed like a lot more stroller than we needed. For us, a stroller would mostly be for church, shopping, and walks on sidewalks. We wanted it to be easy to get in and out of the car too, so weight was a consideration.

The Cruz was lighter, still had foam core rubber wheels that don't get flat, had front and rear suspension for a smooth ride, was easy to collapse and fold, and allowed for easy snap n' go with their Mesa car seat. The basket is huge too - I think its bigger and more accessible than the one on the Vista. We don't think we'll need the bassinet either, so it seems like for the same price as the Vista system we could get the Cruz plus the car seat (which is rated highly and apparently one of the easiest to install). So that's where we are on it. We may go back again another time just to make sure that's what we want, but I think we're going in that direction for now. (Also, my BFF works for Nordstrom corporate and gets an employee discount, which is why I'm considering this system at all!! Otherwise, I think we'd be grabbing a snap n' go stroller frame with a car seat and add on a Britax or City Mini later on like the rest of humanity.)

Long story short: definitely try them out! Its actually pretty fun.

In other news, the anatomy scan went down this morning. We wont get the results for a few days AND I have to go back to get extra images because our baby was face down the whole time and refused to flip over to get their heart measured.

HOWEVER, we can finally confirm that we are having a BOY!! Unlike the private ultrasound place, we got several VERY clear potty shots that showed a very large and healthy set of genitals that left no doubt. Yay! Now we know! Let the shopping commence!

23. Mrs. Jump Rope

@psw27: we ended up not using our stroller nearly as much as we thought we would. It didn't become particularly useful until spring time (Chloe was a fall baby), and it is bulky and hard to get in and out of my trunk (I had an SUV now and it's much easier). It doesn't even fit in my husbands trunk!

I wish we'd have taken size and weight into consideration. That's really the only thing I would have done differently on a stroller!

@gingerbebe: congrats on your boy!!

24. Littlebit

nectarine / 2932 posts

@gingerbebe: aw yay! Congratulations I can't wait to start shopping! Do you mind if I update the September Mamas gender thread?

25. Pancakes

nectarine / 2180 posts

@gingerbebe: congrats on your boy!

26. gingerbebe

cantaloupe / 6131 posts

@Littlebit: Nope, update away!

27. Mrs. Jump Rope

20w appt was today. HB was 153... It's always all over the place! It was 135 at my anatomy scan.

I'll have my 24 and 28 week appts them start the every two weeks. That seems so soon!

Tentative section date for September 2!

28. psw27

pomelo / 5220 posts

@gingerbebe @mrs. jump rope thanks for the advice! I think we will go see them this weekend maybe. We live in the city and do not drive except on the weekends so I think our stroller will be used every day to get LO to and from daycare (we will be walking most likely). Weight is definitely a concern, we have an SUV so it might be tough for me to haul it up into our trunk since I am on the shorter side.

@gingerbebe congrats on baby boy!! woohoo!!

@mrs. jump rope hooray for a good appointment! I have my 20 week tomorrow morning, crazy we are almost to the every 2 week appointments... time flies!

29. Littlebit

nectarine / 2932 posts

@gingerbebe: wohoo! Just updated.

@Mrs. Jump Rope: Ah! It's crazy to already be seeing tentative dates!

30. tequiero21

honeydew / 7968 posts

@gingerbebe: congrats on your boy!

@Mrs. Jump Rope: yay for tentative date. Got mine too... Aug 29!!!

@psw27: mrs bee wrote some reviews on strollers.... She lives in Brooklyn, so a bit city-ish.

31. Boogs

hostess / papaya / 10540 posts

I need to do A LOT of catching up in this thread and I promise to next week, this month has been crazy busy including a stomach flu in my house this week with LO's birthday party this weekend. But in better news, I FINALLY find out the baby's gender tomorrow and I couldn't be more excited to share with you all!

32. Pancakes

nectarine / 2180 posts

@Boogs: I'm so excited for everyone's scans! I could've booked mine tomorrow, but Monday ended up being better for us since DD will be in school...boo to waiting a few more days!

So, my mom wants to take a girls + tots road trip to see her family in July. I'll be 30 weeks at that time, and it's a 12-hour drive. My doctor said, "It doesn't sound fun, but it's fine medically speaking." Part of the trip would be to see my 80-year-old grandfather who hasn't seen DD since she was 3 months old, and who isn't comfortable driving here any longer. I don't know when we'll get a chance to see him again so that would be nice. But I just wonder if I'm going to be miserably uncomfortable on the trip...

33. SweetiePie

honeydew / 7463 posts

@Pancakes: I'm taking an 8 hour road trip for my shower somewhere between 29 and 32 weeks. Mine is without tots though, so probably a bit more bearable I plan on my husband driving and just relaxing as much as I can.
    How much time will you spend down there? Will you at least have a nice break in between the trip there and back?

I actually started a thread asking other moms if they took any road trips and how bad it was. Like anything with pregnancy, the experiences were mixed!
    http://boards.hellobee.com/topic/did-anyone-take-a-long-road-trip-in-the-third-trimester#post-1538908

ETA: I also have a good friends wedding across the country (5 hr flight) at 33 weeks. My doc said the same thing - medically speaking it should be fine (as long as I follow a few guidelines) but she thinks I'll be miserable. Especially since it's just a weekend trip, so 5hrs there and 5hrs back within a 72 hour period. So I'm not going. Bummed but I'm pretty sure she won't want me there if I'm a miserable cow anyway.

34. SweetiePie

honeydew / 7463 posts

@Boogs: Good luck! Can't wait to hear!

35. gingerbebe

cantaloupe / 6131 posts

@Boogs: Good luck on your scan!

I'm having some delayed worry about my anatomy scan. I don't have any of the results yet, and we have to go back for the heart measurements because baby was on his tummy asleep the whole time, but DH and I were talking about how every time we've seen our baby, he's just passed out asleep or not moving much.

At our NT scan they could NOT get him to move for the longest time to take his measurements. Then at the elective, they could not get the baby to move to get a clear look at his genitals. And then yesterday, same deal. Legs are always crossed, moving his arms a little, but just not moving very much. Everyone tells me that my baby is just perfectly curled up in a ball, content to sleep.

The heartbeat is right on target in the 150bpm range, and he LOOKS fine on camera (at least I think so), but between not feeling him move and how he wont move around in the ultrasounds, I started wondering if something was wrong with his legs or something. I realize I have an anterior placenta so I wouldn't feel him as much anyway, but its just something that started bugging me last night.

On the flip side, perhaps he's just a mellow baby that likes to sleep a lot and will be a good sleeper once he's born! Fingers crossed.

36. Boogs

@Pancakes & @SweetiePie: They called me at 7am to reschedule because someone called in sick, I was like I can't! I have 50 people coming over tomorrow to find out with us!

37. Boogs

@gingerbebe: Are your appointments usually around the same time? I could just be that you're going during his normal sleeping time.

38. gingerbebe

cantaloupe / 6131 posts

@Boogs: They have been between 830am and 1pm so I suppose it could be during his sleepy time. Who knows!?

I did just get an email from the NP who said that from what they've seen so far, the baby looks good but that I still need to get those heart images. DH had a nice chat with baby last night and told him that we really needed to look at his heart so we could get him help if something was wrong, so it would be really great if he could roll over.

In shopping news, yesterday I was tweaking my baby registry a bit more now that we have a gender, which was fun. I also went NUTS at Drugstore.com blowing through our FSA.

We maxed out our FSA this year because we thought we'd have to pay for infertility treatments and I have an HMO that covers almost everything aside from $15 copays, so we needed to find things to spend it on. We've used the FSA for copays and Rxs and some contacts, but we're definitely not going to get anywhere near the max unless we spend it down so I went to town on breastfeeding supplies. Drugstore.com makes it super easy because they have a whole section of FSA approved goods and it includes things like Nose Fridas, breastpumps, breastpump bras, breastmilk storage bags, lanolin cream, condoms, pregnancy tests, fertility monitors, prenatal vitamins, and even baby sunscreen. So I just stocked up on everything we use on a regular basis, and anything I could snag for baby. I will probably get some new glasses too and leave the rest for later in the year once I figure out what breastfeeding products work for us and then stock up.

39. LatteLove

apricot / 441 posts

@Boogs: OH no! So were they able to squeeze something in? Can't wait to hear your news!

@gingerbebe: COngrats on the baby boy!

40. Pancakes

nectarine / 2180 posts

A brief letter to my unborn child:
    Dear baby,
    I'm so sorry I just ate that whole chocolate Easter bunny in one sitting. If it makes you feel any better, I feel sick now. I'm sure one day you'll understand how hard self-control is.
    Love, your (queasy) mama

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee