Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@ALV91711: That's great! R still likes to sit on the potty but isn't going. I think Sat we are going to let her run around naked in the morning and see if she starts to connect the feeling to pee, holding it, and going on the potty.

2. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@ALV91711: Exciting about him pooping in the potty!! I think Xander's getting closer... the other day when I was giving him a bath, he told me he had to poop, so I took him out and put him on the potty and he farted, haha. And then was all "All done!" But at least he's recognizing some feelings!

So Xander's a peanut. Roughly 33 inches tall and 26 lbs. We had an appointment with his allergist this morning about his asthma. No change, but no ER/hospital trips since our last appointment, so our asthma action plan is working!!! We have another appointment in November, which is when we'll probably test him again for his milk allergy.

3. Adira

Oh my gosh girls, Xander is so sweet with his brother. I'm usually not around in the morning because I leave for work before anyone else gets up, but I had to take Xander to the allergist, so I was there this morning. So I'm downstairs getting ready and I hear Logan upstairs start whining. And then I hear Xander from his room shouting "It's okay, baby!" Sooo cute!!

4. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: Heart melting cuteness! Isaac is about the same height and 27lbs! That sounds like a good appointment. Hopefully the testing in the fall will go good and maybe you'll get to introduce some milk.

5. Adira

@ALV91711: That's my hope too! He'll be almost 3, so depending on how the blood test goes in the fall, we might do a baked milk challenge I think.

6. Adira

Conversation with Xander in the car yesterday:

Xander: Gapes (grapes)... amano (tomato)... waffle...
    Me: Are you saying what you're going to have for dinner?
    Xander: Yeah! Chisen noo-noos (chicken nuggets)... saw-saw (sausage)... baby...
    Me: Baby?? Logan's not for dinner. We don't eat babies!
    Xander: Me eat the baby! (while pointing at Logan)

WTF???

7. Smurfette

@Adira: kids are weird

8. Adira

@Smurfette: haha, agreed! Once we got home, I put Logan in his high chair at the table and Xander came over and pretended to nibble on his feet while saying "Me eat the baby!" and laughing.

9. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: What a crazy kid!!

10. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

The other night DH and I were talking about Isaac and I mentioned that I was pretty impressed he could count to 11 with only a little help. DH's response was well they are counting to 20 at daycare, it says so on the sign on the door of their daily activities.

I had no clue since I never read this paper of the weekly plan. I'm impressed that DH reads it!

Anything your lo's are doing that are impressing you?

11. Adira

@ALV91711: haha, I'm jealous your husband pays attention to anything going on at daycare! Mine doesn't!!

Xander's getting pretty good with the alphabet, though he can't do the whole thing. It goes something like this: "A B C D E F... L M N O P... S T U... W X Y Z!" Just missing a few letters in there!

How's everyone's LOs doing with bedtime? I'm not sure if last night was a fluke or not, but Xander was soooooo whiney and just kept crying for an hour after he went to bed! No fever, so I don't know what was going on!

12. Smurfette

@ALV91711: @Adira: I read the lesson plans every Friday for the next week, but that is it. I don't think she can count to 20 though. Most of the time, she won't even count to 5 for me. And she doesn't know her ABC's that I know of. But she does things at day care that she doesn't do for us.
    @Adira: R cries/whines every single night. She takes 30+ mins to fall asleep as well. It is super annoying.

I am annoyed, day care increased their rates $53 a month, starting in Aug. Makes me sick how much we already pay.

13. Adira

@Smurfette: OMG!!! I can't believe they increased their rates by that much! They were already soooooooo expensive!!! I'm sorry!! (where's the angry emoticon when you need it??) Bummer R whines going to bed too... maybe it's their age.

I meant to ask you! Did you end up bringing R to the reception this weekend?

14. Smurfette

@Adira: I know it is ridiculous. I am not getting a raise this year, so we aren't even breaking even with the two.
    We didn't take her. My sister came and picked her up. I am glad that we did that. The reception was really low key, good music (band) but no one was dancing, so she would have been bored and a terror to entertain. Not to mention she wouldn't have eaten anything they served.

15. Adira

@Smurfette: Ugh, that SUCKS. I really hope they don't increase their rates every year...

Totally agree with you about the reception! Without dancing, R probably would've been bored! Hope you and your DH had fun at least.

16. Smurfette

@Adira: We did! It was nice catching up with friends that we don't see much.

17. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: Bedtime the last couple weeks has been terrible, it must be the age. He doesn't want to get into his crib and then when he does he demands milk!

@Smurfette: That is such a big increase! I'm sorry. It sucks that you don't even get a raise to offset the cost. Sounds like a nice night at the wedding. R looked so cute!

18. blackbird

wonderful grape / 20453 posts

@Smurfette: what?! That's a big increase!

I must have the lone weirdo who loves bedtime and rarely protests. Or maybe we haven't hit that stage yet! Eep!

19. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

My LO isn't protesting bedtime but her new favorite fit throwing tactic is whine-shouting "I go night night" and hurling herself at the floor or flopping on the bed. Works for me kid.

I started maternity leave today. I have big plans for long-procrastinated baby prep and odds & ends. Unfortunately I'm pretty disappointed with how tired I actually am, even with LO in daycare. I was planning to be superwoman.

Here's hoping LO doesn't notice that I weeded out her toy and book collection today.

20. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

This weekend hitting started and full on ignoring.

I'm just hoping for a good nights sleep tonight after a 3 hour nap.

@Corduroy: Enjoy your mat leave and get some rest as well as being super woman.

@blackbird: How is it going for you. I stalked the May board the other night and saw that you had your little guy. Congrats! How is the adjustment to two and how is E handling it?

21. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

Okay, we're finally settling in at our new place and B's back at daycare. So I think I can jump back in.

@Adira: sleep and especially going to sleep is a mega issue here too. Yesterday he was hardly able to keep his eyes open let alone stand on his feet but he just kept getting out of bed. Finally we gave up and DH sat next to him until he was asleep. Bedtime takes over an hour every day! Say what!? luckily little lady is just swaddling, popping pacifier in and of to sleep she goes on her own.

@Smurfette: wow that is a pretty major increase. B's old daycare also increased their fee by 100€ but it was only applicable to new contracts.

@Corduroy: Enjoy mat leave! Maybe after a couple of days of rest the energy will be back.

@blackbird: Congratulations on your son! Hope E is adjusting well and things are going smoothly.

@ALV91711: how did the night go? We had a terrible night here. I think it's due to the daycare change. Poor guy, today was like maybe the second or third time ever that I left a crying child at daycare. It didn't help that he had slept too little and the little he slept, he slept bad. Really hoping tonight will be better.

Other than the above mentioned sleep and settling in issues he's been doing well. He still loves his sister to pieces. Every morning he climbs into her crib (yup not only can my kid climb out of cribs he can climb in too) and plays with her. Too bad he's always waking her up. Still it's adorable to see them interact that way. His language is really exploding and his words are getting better and better to understand. He's also mainly trying to speak in sentences now.

22. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Adira: Bedtime takes a long time every night. 30-60 minutes, depending on whether or not he napped that day. And he's back in our bed a few hours later. We are failing miserably with sleep over here! Hope you have better luck than us!

@ALV91711: Pete's not hitting but he did start intentionally throwing objects for a response this weekend. I started putting him into a time out right away and that seems to have had an effect for now...

@Smurfette: She looked so beautiful in her little dress!! Sorry to hear about that increase. Child care is just ridiculous. I try to imagine what I'll do with all the extra income in 10(?) years when all my kids are in public school.

@blackbird: Congratulations on #2!! Hope the transition is a smooth one for you guys!!

@Corduroy: You must be exhausted! I hope you can use some of this time to relax! When is your little one due to arrive?

@Pumuckl: They sound so sweet together!! Happy that the move has gone well. I'm sure he'll get adjusted to the new daycare soon. We are in a similar situation with crap sleep!

23. Adira

@ALV91711: Ugh, sorry about the hitting! Xander does that when he's frustrated and immediately goes into timeout. It's been getting better though, so hopefully it's just a phase.

@Pumuckl: @QueensBee: Last night was a little better, but it still took FOREVER to get Xander down. I think the fact that it's still light out isn't helping...

24. Smurfette

@Adira: what time is his bedtime? Maybe he is ready to move it.

25. Adira

@Smurfette: 7:30, though last night it was more like 8:00.

I really REALLY don't want to push it back... If he goes down later, that just means less (or no) time to ourselves before we (me really) go to bed.

26. Smurfette

@Adira: Oh I know. I try and put her down 745 or s0 but it still feels like I get no time to myself. Last night it was 845 before she fell asleep. So "my time" was really watching the monitor, listening to her talk to herself, and telling her it is nite nite time. Not relaxing anyway. She really does better when I put her down later. Girlfriend just doesn't like to sleep much

27. Adira

@Smurfette: That's how our other night was, except we put him down at 7:30 and he cried/whined until 8:30. I kept going in to check on him because he usually doesn't cry! Last night, no tears, but still took a while to convince him to go to bed. Ugh!

@blackbird: Xander used to not mind going to bed either. This attitude is very recent, so you might hit it soon!

28. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Pumuckl: Last night he slept great, me not so much. That is so adorable that he wants to be with his sister and climbs in her crib. They are going to be close, or end up driving each other nuts! Good to hear you are settled in.

@QueensBee: I keep wondering where all this money we spend on daycare went before, it baffles me. I daydream of all the things we can do when it comes time to stop paying.

@Adira: I've noticed that when he gets mad he will also hit whatever is close to him (wall, table etc) instead of us. Does Xander do this too? Does he get a time out for that as well? I'm not sure what to do about that.

@Smurfette: Is she still napping? Do you think if she took less of a nap she'd go to bed earlier? Although I'm not even ready to think about dropping the nap yet.

29. Adira

@ALV91711: Xander USUALLY just hits us or throws things. He gets timeouts for both! I guess it would depend on what he's hitting though - if he was just hitting his crib mattress or pillow or something, we probably wouldn't give him a timeout. But if he was hitting his stuffed animals... that's a little too close to being a person or an animal to me, so he'd probably get a timeout for that (after warnings of course).

You guys, last night was ROUGH. I have nooooo idea what demon possessed my kid! We were having a great night until it was time to read books. Then he refused! I offered him choices (bed now or stories first) and he just kept saying no. And then he hit me!! Warning, hit me again, timeout, hit me again, timeout again, hit me again! Finally I just put him in his crib and told him it was time to go to bed. I offered to read to him in his crib ("No!"), offered to sing a song ("No!"), offered him a hug ("No!") and finally I just gave up and said goodnight and left and he just wailed and wailed. Hubs took over for me at that point because I was frazzled and he was able to get him to calm down and go bed. Gahhhh!! Where'd my sweet toddler go who liked bedtime???

30. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

Ahhhhh catching up here! L is doing OK. He's definitely in the terrible twos and has started hitting when he has a tantrum. He is hitting others at school too but only when I go to pick him up. So frustrating. I've been solo parenting for a week while my husband is abroad and I'm NOT used to that- especially while newly pregnant (I'm 7 weeks and in the throes of morning sickness)

On the positive side, he is sleeping better- goes down super easy and usually sleeps through the night. He's eating great and learning lots. He also can count to 10, sometimes 11 and 12. And knows most/some of his ABCs. He sings constantly. Makes up songs too. So funny. And he's really fascinated by babies and animals.

31. Smurfette

@ALV91711: Yes, she is still napping, but I am not ready to give that up! DH and I need our nap/break on the weekend!
    @Adira: Rough. I would just walk out next time he hits you. Give him some time to call down. Then go back in and tell him it is nite nite time. I wouldn't do stories or songs though. Maybe then he will start to realize if he hits then he doesn't get those things. If he keeps this up, I would really try pushing bedtime 30 mins and see if that helps.
    @travellingbee: so happy that you have morning sickness:)

R is obesssed with her baby doll. We bought her another one this weekend and she brings it with her everywhere. At least she is good about baby has to stay in the car while she goes to school, so I don't have that battle.

Last night was rough, she was in the bed by 745 and it was 9 before she was finally asleep. Then of course I had to wake her up. This is why you need to go the F to sleep!

32. Adira

@travellingbee: If I haven't said it before, congratulations on your pregnancy!!! So excited for you, especially after how much you've gone through to get here! But UGH being in the midst of the first trimester and having to care for a tantruming toddler on your own. Sounds like a recipe for disaster and you can't even have a glass of wine at the end of the day. Awesome about him sleeping though!

@Smurfette: I actually WAS pushing bedtime back last night because I thought maybe he just wasn't tired and that's why he was having issues. We normally start stories around 7:00, but I pushed it back to 7:20 last night and he just had a complete meltdown. Then I was wondering if maybe I should've put him down earlier?? I can't figure this kid out! I actually did walk out at one point, but it didn't really help. Plus he kept getting down from the chair he was doing his timeout in. Ugh!

So cute about R's baby!! So frustrating about the sleep though. Maybe this is part of the reason the twos are supposed to be so bad? Because these kids stop sleeping well and then are just super cranky? Booo.

33. Smurfette

@Adira: Bummer! They are so hard to figure out. Knock on wood, outside of bedtime and some naps, she isn't that bad.

34. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: That sounds like a rough night. When Isaac is being terrible at bedtime we give him a couple warnings and if he keeps it up we take away story time. Usually his attitude will change after 1 warning since he doesn't want to lose story time.

@travellingbee: How much longer is your hubby gone? Congrats on your pregnancy!! Solo parenting is exhausting, I can't imagine with morning sickness too.

@Smurfette: Why can't they just sleep. I'm with you, the break in the afternoon on the weekends during nap time is much needed. So cute that she loves her baby doll.

Last night Isaac had a tantrum for the whole neighbourhood to enjoy. DH worked late and after dinner I took Isaac outside to help water the garden, which he loves to do. We were out there about 10 minutes past bath time which I thought was no big deal. When I told him we had to go in he just flipped right out and lost it. That lead to a time out.

I kind of almost hate the longer days, I think that he thinks it is still play time since it is light out.

35. Adira

@ALV91711: I think the longer days are messing us up too. It's still light out at 8:00 p.m., so I think that's part of why Xander's rebelling and doesn't want to go to bed! Ugh. Sorry you had some tantruming last night too.

36. Smurfette

@ALV91711: @Adira: We have blinds and curtains in her room. We always keep them closed. So even at 730 is it dark in her room. Maybe try to make it as dark as you can.

37. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

@ALV91711: He's been gone a week and he comes back tonight (YAY!) but I'm sure he'll be exhausted from travelling for 15 hours and jetlag.
    @Adira: Thanks. I'd say I missed wine but the idea kind of makes me gag

38. Adira

@Smurfette: Yeah, the problem with Xander's room is that it has this big giant window and we only have blinds/curtains for the lower part of it. Here's an old picture of it so you know what I'm talking about.

@travellingbee: haha, I hear that!

39. Smurfette

@Adira: Home Depot makes paper blinds. I bet you could find something that works for the top part. It isn't the best thing but it would help and it won't look horrible on the outside. Found it!
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Redi-Shade-White-Fabric-Arch-Window-Shade-72-in-W-x-36-in-L-2302719/202617595

40. Adira

@Smurfette: Oh wow! That looks awesome! I had no idea that was a thing! I will definitely look into getting something like that. Thank you!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee