Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Yikes ladies, we leave on vacation at the end of the week. 12 hour drive! I'm excited to go away but nervous for the drive. Our plan is to do most of it through the night so we can just get there.

How was everyone's weekend?

2. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

@blackbird: @ALV91711: thanks! Hopefully it ends sooner than that this time...

3. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: good luck with the drive I will keep my FX that all will work out just fine.

4. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@ALV91711: Eeeeh! Good luck on the trip! I think it's a good idea to do the driving at night. I hope it works out! Hope you have a fabulous vacation!

Our weekend was fun. My parents came over on Saturday to help us haul some stuff to the dump (they have a truck) and Xander was thrilled to have his favorite playmates over. Not much else went on, despite it being Father's Day. Mostly just relaxing.

Xander was especially trying last night... I have no idea what his issue was. He just kept crying all through bedtime and freaking out until finally Hubs just took over from me because I was at the end of my rope. Ugh!

5. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@ALV91711: good luck with that drive! Lots and lots of movies/shows on the ipad for sure. Does he sleep good in his car seat? R doesn't so driving overnight wouldn't work for us.

We are still chugging along with potty training. She doesn't seem to be getting popping.

6. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Pumuckl: @Adira: @Smurfette: Thanks ladies. I'm sure it will be fine and he'll sleep good. He has never had a problem sleeping in the car seat before.

I hope not to jinx it but he's finally sleeping 10 hours a night again. It is so nice to not be waking up super early every day.

@Smurfette: I hope she figures out pooping on the potty soon. That has got to be frustrating.

7. Adira

@Smurfette: Random question: what was that diet you were doing that you were having good success on? I think you had to eat their meals or something? Are you still doing it? Would you recommend it?

8. Smurfette

@Adira: I will wall you!

9. Adira

@Smurfette: Thanks!

10. Adira

Xander's tantrums seem so unpredictable lately. Usually when we get home from daycare, I let him hit the button to close the garage door, so last night, I hand him the remote to do it and he just says "No, Mama close garage door" and I kept asking "Are you sure? You can close it!" but he kept insisting that I do it, so I did. Cue tantrum! Total FREAK OUT with tears, rolling around on the floor, and screaming. WTF??

11. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: yikes! They get so mad over the most random things.

We made it. Left at bedtime and he didn't fall asleep until after 10:30. Crying off and on in his sleep the whole way. Up at normal time and only a 2 hour nap but he is pretty happy. He's having fun getting spoiled by his grandma.

12. Adira

@ALV91711: What a bummer that he didn't just snooze well through the whole trip! Glad you all made it!!

13. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: Even though it was exhausting to travel at night it would have been worse in the day. It was 35C here today which I think equals close to 100F. Plus we could rest since Isaac was having so much fun with gramma.

14. Adira

So I successfully cut some of Xander's hair yesterday!!!! He still had to be held down by Hubs while I trimmed around his ears and did his bangs, but there wasn't nearly as much crying and struggling as there had been in the past! And then when I was giving him a bath and realized I missed a couple long strands, he let me cut them with no fuss! Success!

15. travellingbee

@Adira: I feel like I'm losing my mind with the tantrums lately. It's constant and unpredictable like you said.

16. Adira

@travellingbee: Seriously, the tantrums are the worst. Especially when they aren't avoidable. Like I KNOW me closing the garage door and not having Xander do it was going to set him off, but he wouldn't do it himself and he told me to do it! What was I supposed to do??? We would've sat there forever. So frustrating!

17. Smurfette

@travellingbee: @Adira: Last night R was crying so loud cause I wouldn't turn on Bubble Guppies. I said no we are going to eat dinner. She sat in her seat crying for a good 5 mins while DH and I finished up dinner. Then says Mama, I happy. And is smiling and starts laughing. How she goes to crying to saying she is happy in 2 secs I can't understand.

Maybe cause she realized we were just ignoring her and she wasn't going to get her way. She threw a fit this morning cause her feet grew and she needed to wear the next up sneaker and they weren't pink like the other ones.

18. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@travellingbee: The tantrums are crazy! Today he was mad because I wouldn't let him plug in my phone. Then even more mad when I took away his book after he threw it at me. I don't know how you are doing it being pregnant.

@Adira: You are so brave cutting hair yourself. I'd be so afraid of slicing off an ear.

@Smurfette: Their moods change so fast. Isaac has just discovered bubble guppies and loves them. His grandma bought him books today and this is what he chose. Then when I put him to bed tonight he was talking about the one we watched in the morning and knew everything that happened. Crazy!

The heat is killing me! I'm not used to it. Poor Isaac had heat rash. He refuses to go in the water to cool off, won't even take a bath.

19. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: sorry the drive was miserable. We had a 3-3.5h drive at bedtime last Thursday turn into a 4.5h drive due to traffic with screaming/nagging kids in the car. Fun times...

@Adira: @travellingbee: @Smurfette: I second the ughh tantrums and the whining - OMG the whining...

@Smurfette: LOL on the pink shoes. Hope she'll get used to her new shoes soon.

20. Adira

@ALV91711: haha, I wasn't worried about cutting his ear because Hubs had his head in a death grip and there was no way he was moving on me! Ugh, such a bummer about Isaac's heat rash!! Hope you can convince him to go into the water!

21. Smurfette

@ALV91711: really? R loves loves the water. They have water play on Friday at school. She is going to be bummed to miss it since they are closed on Friday. She loves the water table and little pool on our deck. She even loves swimming lessons now.

22. Adira

@Smurfette: I can't WAIT for swimming lessons!!! Ours start on the 11th!

23. Smurfette

@Adira: It was really cute last week, I asked if she was excited for swim lessons and she said Yes and kick kick. She started kicking her feet. She then kicked her feet the whole way there.

24. travellingbee

@Pumuckl: @ALV91711: @Smurfette: @Adira: glad we're not alone! His tantrums feel so extreme, sometimes I worry. But it sounds like he's normal.

25. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

Hey everyone! I've definitely fallen way behind on this thread!

Pete also has wild and unreasonable tantrums. But, thankfully, they've been less frequent and slightly more manageable lately. I'm actually a bit worried that he's going to be one of those kids who really ramps it ups once he turns three! @Adira: I totally know what you mean by the unavoidable ones. That happens to us too and it's so incredibly frustrating! You're damned if you do and damned if you don't!

Today we had a rough morning. We were making blueberry pancakes together and he accidentally leaned his little hand onto the edge of the hot pan. In the end it was fine, a minor burn that didn't require any real medical attention, but he screamed and cried for a long time. It was so sad and hard to see him in pain.

In other news, Pete is going to be a big brother to a baby girl in January! We're very excited! First trimester was a bit hard because I was working and exhausted but everything feels much better now that I'm 12 weeks and home for the summer.

Our bedtime situation has been a bit of a disaster lately. I'll type of longer post later but we are going to need to make some major changes before #2 arrives!

@ALV91711: Impressed you survived that long road trip! I hope it cools off a bit, or that Isaac will learn to enjoy the water more!

@Smurfette: You are reminding me that I want to sign Pete up for the next session of swimming lessons! So nice to hear she loves them!

@Adira: So awesome that you can cut Xander's hair now! Pete has a ton of hair and I think it would be a mess if I tried it myself. But I sure wouldn't mind saving the extra $!

26. Smurfette

@QueensBee: Congrats!! Bring on the bows!! Poor guy! I am sure that was really hard on you and him this morning. Hope the bedtime situation gets better soon.

27. Smurfette

This comment has been deleted by the original poster.

28. travellingbee

@QueensBee: hey we're almost due at the same time again! Ours is another boy. What's your due date? Congrats!!

29. Adira

@QueensBee: Ahhhh!!!! Congratulations!!!!! So exciting!!! Sorry about poor Pete's burn though. That sounds rough. Glad he's okay!

30. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@QueensBee: congrats! A girl will be fun!!

31. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Smurfette: @Adira: @ALV91711: Thanks!!!

@travellingbee: January 11! What is your due date? I'm excited we can be part of the Winter 2016 thread together!

32. travellingbee

@QueensBee: Jan 4th

33. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@travellingbee: I didn't know you were having a boy, brothers will be so much fun!

@Smurfette: He loves to splash at water tables but for some reason he doesn't like getting in the water these days.

34. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@QueensBee: Congratulations! So excited for you guys! Little girls are loads of fun too! Bedtime over here is a disaster as well. We have to sit next to his bed until he is asleep and that can take up to 1h. So cool you're on the same EDD thread with @travellingbee: again!

I have another water maniac here. Whenever there is water involved he just has the biggest smile on his face. They'll have their first water day at daycare on Thursday, he'll have a blast. I'm kind of sad I won't see him because J and I will travel for my work.

35. Adira

Thank goodness for child-proof covers! I'm nursing Logan and can hear Xander trying to get into the Tylenol. Click click click!

36. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Today we tried the water park and he wouldn't go near the water. The one time he hot a bit wet he freaked. He had fun watching kids, going on the big swings and playing on the playground.

DH's dad said that DH went through a couple months around this age were he gated water and refused baths too. They waited out and eventually he liked it again.

I'm kind of hoping seeing his cousin this weekend and playing in water and bathing together will help him.

37. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: hope Isaac's cousin will make him forget about his water ambivalence.

It is insanely hot here, temps are in the high 90s to 100s and since we don't usually have temps this high we (and really nobody else as well) have no a/c. This will be some terrible days... I think we might move the kids to the basement for sleeping. We'll see how it goes.

38. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Pumuckl: Thanks! It's kind of funny to switch gears a bit. I've considered myself a "boy mom" for almost three years and it feels funny to looking for girl things now! But we're super thrilled and I think Pete will be a very sweet big bro to his little sister.

That heat sounds pretty terrible, especially with no AC. Do you have a pool or beach or mall where you can cool off during the day? Hope it ends soon!

@Adira: Oh my, it gave me anxiety just reading that! Yes, thank goodness for those childproof covers!

@ALV91711: Fingers crossed the cousin pressure helps him get back in the water!

39. Adira

@QueensBee: Yeah, he claimed "My belly hurt. Need medicine!" and then went to get it. I hear the clicking in the bathroom and then he's coming back into Logan's room and banging the bottle on the floor, trying to get it open! Guess I should probably keep it somewhere else now too.

40. Smurfette

@ALV91711: hopefully he gets over it soon!
    @Pumuckl: It has been 90+, but with the humidity it feels like 100+. I can't imagine having no AC. You are a stronger woman then me. We usually don't get those high temps till Aug and Sept. I am scared for the rest of the summer.

R has a new fascination with band-aids. Wants one all the time.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee