Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

Hi ladies, I've been reading along the past month but I was too stuck in the newborn haze and parade of grandparents to post. DS was born 6/11. His birth was so easy compared to DD.

Z's been doing really well as a big sister. Lots of really cute moments. DS is a pretty easy going guy as long as I am nursing or holding him. I just can't set him down except for a 2.5 hour stretch at night. Z is getting sick of that. I am so glad we kept her in daycare for maternity leave.

It took a few weeks but potty training regression hit. I think daycare is more frustrated than I am. I'm too tired to care. Luckily her night sleep is good ::knock on wood::, except the waking up at 5am since birth thing but we're used to that. We have a door knob cover on the inside of her door that helps us keep her in her room during the falling asleep period.

DH is starting to adjust to his role of doing most of the things for Z. He had a little freakout in adjusting to the workload. I felt bad because I couldn't muster much sympathy. Lack of sleep & sore nips makes me pretty bitchy. I know the bitchiness is counterproductive. I hope I get control of it soon. He deserves to complain. Toddlers are so hard. I know this.

2. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@Corduroy: Congratulations on your new baby!!! And HUGS girlfriend. I know that intro phase of having a newborn and a toddler is HARD. Xander acted out a bunch and it was really rough. It took about 6 weeks before things started to get better, so hopefully you'll see a change for the better soon now. And I totally hear you about DH. My husband would pick up Xander from daycare and then try to take a nap and leave me with both of them, even though Logan was nursing non-stop! I found it VERY annoying!!! But it does get better and easier!!

3. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Corduroy: Congrats! Glad everyone is adjusting well.

I change my mind, Isaac isn't easing back into routine. Yesterday morning drop off at daycare was a little tough but mostly he just wanted extra hugs. This morning was terrible. He started tantruming at home when I said to get his shoes on. He ended up in a time out. Now we were late and he was still freaking so I shoved his shoes in his bag, gathered everything and scooped him up. I had to force him into the car seat. Then at daycare he started to freak out. Myself and his teacher had to pry him off of me and he was screaming when I left. Poor little dude. Put him to bed early tonight.

Then tonight when I got home he said sorry and gave me a hug. Melted my heart. I'm hoping drop offs get better next week.

4. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Corduroy: Congratulations! Seems like everyone is adjusting well! Are you getting the baby for longer stretches at all? We are keeping Pete in daycare 3 days/week when our LO2 arrives and I think it's going to be a lifesaver! Ha, I can definitely see myself lacking sympathy for DH after delivering #2, although I know it's a big workload for him too. You'll all get in a groove eventually!

@ALV91711: How are drop offs this week?

Pete is a terror this morning. He crawled into our bed at 6:30am and started pulling and pushing and hitting me. After a few verbal warnings, I left the bed to go into the guest room because I couldn't take it anymore. He had a total meltdown with my husband and is still screaming now, an hour later. It also happens to be my birthday. I tried to tell him that's going to be a fun day because we are going to go to the beach today and Aunt Meg (his favorite person in the world) is coming over later to celebrate, but he just cried "No mama! No beach! No birthday!" Thanks, kid! Maybe he'll change his tune when he realizes he gets to eat cake later...

In more positive news, he had a great weekend at the lake with my friends. He was such a sweetie to the other baby there, sharing his toys, hugging her, and helping her around. He was on great behavior and had everyone laughing with his silliness.

5. Adira

@QueensBee: Ugh, sorry to hear about your rough morning!!! Hopefully he'll get this tantrum out of his system and be good for the rest of the day. Fingers crossed! And happy birthday!!!

6. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@QueensBee: Happy Birthday!! Hope that Pete's attitude changed and you had a fun day.

This week has been back to normal. Today he got sent home sick though.

7. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Ugh, two nights in a row of the middle of the night wake ups. I'm not used to this anymore and feel so tired this morning.

8. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@ALV91711: @Adira: Thanks for the birthday cheer! The morning was rough but the day got a lot better after 9am and overall, was great.

@ALV91711: Sorry to hear about the MOTN wake-ups. Has it gotten better? How do you put him back to sleep? Hope you caught up on some rest!

9. Adira

@ALV91711: Ugh, middle of the night wake-ups are the worst! Hope things are better by now...

10. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@QueensBee: @Adira: Yes it is better. It was only the two nights he woke up and I think just because of being sick. This morning he actually slept in over an hour, I was 5 minutes away from waking him up! I wish that would happen on weekends. I turn on his glow worm and give him a quick rock or cuddle and he will go back in his bed. The one night he demanded milk, so I got him a tiny bit in his sippy and gave it to him in bed.

@QueensBee: Glad your birthday day got better!

Our plan is to try potty training this weekend since we have a long weekend and I'm getting nervous. We've been talking about it a lot, and he does sit on his potty every night before his bath. His Grandpa made him a really cool potty while we were there and I think he is excited to use it.

11. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

I went through and tagged everyone who was posting in the first few pages. Just thought I'd see how everyone is doing? How are the LO's? What new skills are they learning these days? Hope everyone is enjoying the summer.

@cmomma17: @Arden: @Baby Boy Mom: @Munchkin: @tororojo: @Purpledaisy: @Pumuckl: @sheskrafty: @travellingbee: @jodyblair: @NavyRN2012: @keepcalmcarrie: @silver1: @dojo: @twobee: @Mrs. Blue: @Silva: @AprilFool: @blackbird: @Mrs. High Heels: @shopaholic: @Adira: @QueensBee: @Corduroy:

12. Adira

@ALV91711: Yay! A massive update! I'll make a random template, haha.

LO: Xander

Molars: Appear to be in! Although I haven't actually gotten a good look at the top, his bottom ones are in and he doesn't seem to be teething anymore, so I assume the top ones are in too.

Vocal Skills: Xander talks up a storm and seems to learn new words everyday. He basically can hold regular conversations now, though he'll leave our verbs at times. He still refers to himself as "My" instead of "I," but I think that's normal at this age? AND he's learned his full name! "My Alexeno" (Xeno is how he pronounces Xander).

Physical Skills: He's been learning how to pedal his trike! And we just taught him baseball, though he can only hit the ball if he's the one tossing it up and then hitting it (and not doing a correct swing or anything). We're also taking swimming lessons!

Food: Xander's been expanding what he will eat! Although he's on a veggie strike unless they are in a pouch. He LOVES fruits, of course. And is usually willing to TRY something once, although he often claims he doesn't like something without even trying it (like steak).

Potty Training: Still not doing it!

ETA: Fixed his age because I can't do math!

13. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

OK I'll update too.
    LO: Lukas

Molars: I don't think they are in at all!

Vocal Skills: He never stops talking. He's fully conversational and says things daily that we are like, where did he get that?! Yesterday he said, "You've got to be kidding me!" What a nut. He is a little word sponge.

Physical Skills: We haven't done a lot out side in the past couple of months because it is over 100 degrees but he can use his scooter very adeptly and balance on either foot well. He is obsessed with baseball and hits a ball well from a tee. He can sometimes catch a bigger ball.

Food: He's gotten pickier and I have gotten lazier as I am having a rough second pregnancy. He still eats pretty well, but if he doesn't like it, he won't eat it at all. He's definitely longer and thinner and less cute chub

Potty Training: He is in underwear except for naps and night (and wearing a diaper to sleep makes him upset but he can't hold it all night) No accidents- he's very good at telling us or just running to the potty himself.

@Adira: Isn't Xander 28 months too?

14. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

LO: R
    Molars: All in.
    Vocal Skills: She is talking so much more. She seems a little behind the other kids in her class still but I don't think she is behind for her age. She is starting to tell us more about her day and what she did, ate for lunch, etc. Her favorite thing to say is What are you doing Mama/Mommy/Daddy? Last Sunday, I counted 15 times during lunch. Not at all annoying R.
    Physical Skills: She LOVES swim lessons. Sad this Sat is her last one. She was asked to join the next session, a teacher has to invite you, but it is during nap time. So we will just pick it up next summer when she is in a class by herself, parents aren't in the water with them. She is taking Playball at school and it is her favorite part of the week. They teach sports skills, how to skip, etc. I don't know exactly what they are doing right now though. She loves to run in the yard. We are getting her a baseball set cause she keeps asking to go do a baseball game. We are going to sign her up for gymnastics on Saturday's this fall.
    Food: Still will not touch a veggie to save her life. Will eat fruit and is really into meat, mostly chicken nuggets lately.
    Potty Training: I think this is, hands down, the worst part of parenthood so far. I hate hate it. She started off doing great. Then lost interest. She was staying dry at school, and now they are taking her less often so she is just going in her pull up. I got Oh Crap Potty Training, so I am going to read that and we are going full force Labor Day weekend. We are remodeling her bath, then I am gone for a weekend, and then vacation. So I think it will be a good time to go for it. Her teacher, just one, thinks we should send her in panties now and go for it. But I am going to wait till we do boot camp that weekend. But then yes, I know she knows the feeling, pee and poop, I think she is just lazy and stubborn.

15. Adira

@travellingbee: Umm... I don't think so? haha, he was born late February, so he's 2 years 5 months. That's 27 months, right?

ETA: Okay, I can't do math AT ALL! He's 29 months!!!

16. Smurfette

@Adira: um 24 + 5 = 29..........end of Aug is 2.5, so that is 30 months.

17. Adira

@Smurfette: haha, yep, just realized I can't do math.

ETA: But I did learn how to do strikethough (wheee) and that makes me happy, so something good came from my math fail.

18. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@Smurfette: We have the constant, "What are you doing, Mom/Dad?" on repeat too. Same thing I was doing 10 seconds ago. It makes me question how I'll handle the why phase.

19. travellingbee

@Adira: lol

20. Adira

@Smurfette: I forget, did R take swimming lessons last year too? I'm wondering if Xander will be ready for parentless lessons next year, but I'm thinking he might not be... I was also thinking of signing Xander up for gymnastics this fall too! Although I'm not sure they offer Saturday lessons... I'm waiting for the brochure to come out.

21. Smurfette

@Corduroy: we have found if we ask her right back, what are you doing, sometimes helps. But not all the time. She is so cute though, she always replies when I tell her what I am doing "Oh, ok!"

Does anyone else's LO have a boyfriend/girlfriend at day care? R has a boyfriend. They have to sit next to each other for all the snacks and lunch. They want to hold hands when they are walking down the hall together. Play together most of the time. If you ask either of them, they say the other is their boy/girlfriend, no kiss, just hug! They are having their first play date on Sat. She is going to be so excited!

22. Smurfette

@Adira: Yes. She did swim last summer too. Where we take them, they do it by age, so she will be too old to take the parent/child class.

23. travellingbee

@Smurfette: so cute- no, L doesn't have many girls in his class though. He mostly talks about the boys.

We didn't take swim lessons this year because they were still all parent and child at this age and he's already really comfortable in the water. Next year we'll do parentless. He's been doing a gymboree class over the summer and likes it but it isnt strictly gymnastics. He's very physical and likes anything like that.

24. Adira

@Smurfette: Ours is by age too and the 3 year old class is normally parentless, but they have another option to do the same class WITH parents, so I might think about doing that, depending on how the rest of the summer goes.

25. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

LO: Z

Molars: No clue. Her pediatrician asked me a few months ago and I told myself to keep an eye on it. Oops.

Vocal Skills: She speaks well and constantly. She thinks adding the word poop to every sentence is The. Funniest. Thing. Ever. 'Penus' is another favorite topic of conversation. She has demonstrated that she's picking up some Chinese from daycare which is cool. She parrots a lot and we can tell if she got something from home or daycare based on the accent/cadence she uses.

Physical Skills: Is nose picking a physical skill? If so, she's a master. She's been on the slow side with her physical milestones but she's starting to get a lot more adventurous. Lots of running, climbing, hanging and spinning. Still isn't jumping though. In terms of fine motor skills, she blew my mind the other day while coloring. Amidst her straight line scribbles she drew a totally recognizable happy face with hair. Here I was impressed she had just drawn a tiny straight line.

Food: Loves it. Her favorite is any meat with a bone. She's not great with her veggies but she eats them at daycare. At home we put them on her plate her plate and she may eat them she may not.

Potty Training: Highs and lows. DS is 7 weeks old today. Z's potty strike regression happened about 3 weeks ago. She's been using it some but DH got frustrated and put her back in diapers this week. She is back to pooping on the potty at home. Yesterday she even told me she had to poop at a school playground. I said sorry, there are no potties (I stopped carrying her potette because she stopped using it). On her own she said, "Ok, mom. Let's go home to go poop. Goodbye park." Isn't it funny when they blow your mind with some unexpectedly good behavior? She made it the 10 minute walk home and went. She asks to go pee occasionally now and will sit on the potty but since the regression she doesn't actually pee.

26. Adira

@Smurfette: Xander doesn't have a "girlfriend," but he definitely has a girl who is his best friend! They do everything together and when I pick up Xander at the end of the day, they always hug and say good-bye to each other. It's so sweet!

@Corduroy: Ummm... soooooo impressed your LO can draw a face!!! Mine still just scribbles lines (violently usually)! Also impressed she had to poop and was able to hold it until you got home! Amazing!

27. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@Adira: The happy face is on a big sheet of paper surrounded by violent black scribbles. The happy face is the only recognizable thing she's ever drawn. She shows me that she draws lots of things: rocket ships, airplanes, helicopters... but those are all single teeny tiny dots. Funny girl, I guess that is how she sees them in the sky. Sadly, when she drew the happy face my first thought was how much time I'm missing with her because I'm so busy with baby.

28. Adira

@Corduroy: Don't worry, it gets better! Logan is 8 months now and I'm able to spend a lot of quality time with Xander, especially on the weekend during Logan's naps. And once the baby is older and more interactive, your older LO is going to love him!

29. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@Adira: Thanks for the support, it has been a rough week.

30. Mrs. High Heels

blogger / eggplant / 11551 posts

@ALV91711: Hi hi! Oooh I'm enjoying reading everyone's updates. This thread moves so fast, I need to be better about keeping up!

LO: Jaren
    Molars: Most are in, and his top left has poked through but not fully sprouted (hee hee I just poked around his mouth).

Vocal Skills: He's talking so much, but sometimes it's still hard to understand him because he has a major lisp! Him and DD can actually have decent conversations with each other now - so cool to see!

Physical Skills: Hahaha @corduroy - J's expertise is nose picking too! He also insists on doing EVERYTHING himself, from climbing into the carseat, to taking off his own shoes and socks, etc. He is super active, loves to jump and run and stomp and zoom around. I have a little bulldozer on my hands.

Food: Sooo picky! But daycare assures me that he eats a TON there, and loves fruit... so at least there's that. DD went through a picky phase like this but grew out of it, so I'm just trying to stay consistent, keep offering (even though I hate seeing food get wasted... sighhh), and hope he expands his palette more in the future. It's frustrating bc he doesn't even like things most kids love - like mac and cheese or quesadillas! As for pizza, he'll pick off and eat only the cheese and leave the whole crust. There are some things he reliably loves though - oatmeal, applesauce pouches, soba noodles, chicken nuggets, and soup & rice.

Potty Training: Working on it, but taking it easy and trying not to stress. He asks to sit on the potty, but half the time I think he just wants to copy his sister and doesn't go at all. The M&M incentive does nothing for him. Le sigh.

Hm what else? The last two months were one of the hardest stages with him - he was super clingy and moody... and I was exhausted. But suddenly, this past month he has been great - really independent, happy-go-lucky, and just all-around back to his fun silly self. I am going to blame the two year molars on my last two month's of "omg get me out of this stage!!".

He also took his very first plane ride ever back in June (2.5 hrs) to the PNW. He did great, but I think any longer and we would've had a meltdown on our hands. He also watched his first movie (Minions!) a couple weeks ago! Gosh, our kiddos are getting so big.

@Smurfette: Aww so cute that R has a boyfriend!! Jaren doesn't have a girlfriend, but he has a posse that he hangs out with at school. The teachers call them the fantastic four! Potty training is also my least favorite parenting duty of all. Why can't they be born potty trained?

@Adira: When is Xander's bday again? I forgot he was an end of Feb baby too! J is 2/22.

31. travellingbee

@Corduroy: Just tonight, L was coloring and he said, Look Momma, a heart! and it was! Then he drew a triangle, a circle and a square and told me what they were. I guess they've been working on shapes at school. Then he drew a line coming off of the triangle (off one of the points) and said, Now it's a kite! I haven't done much drawing with him so that is all school.

32. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@travellingbee: That's so cool!

33. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: Template, good idea!

LO: Isaac

Molars: Still no sign of the 2 year ones. I could have sworn a couple times they were coming in but still nothing.

Vocal Skills: He talks up a storm and will try saying any word. Definitely our little parrot. I love that we can have little conversations. Lately his favourite thing to say is 'what's going on?'

Physical Skills: He is trying so hard to learn how to jump. He is starting to do the stairs on his own more often and he just started to throw over hand. Also climbing. He's never been a climber but is starting to get braver and get himself up on things like the dining chairs.

Food: He eats everything and anything. There are some things he doesn't care for. If he tries something and doesn't like it he'll just take it out of his mouth and put it on his plate.

Potty Training: We are giving it a go this weekend since it is a long weekend. His Grandpa built him a potty earlier this month and he was sad that he wasn't potty trained and couldn't use it.

34. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: I'm hoping I can get him into swimming lessons this fall, but if that doesn't work out then I'm thinking gymnastics.

@Smurfette: What are you doing drives us nuts. He will ask us and we will answer and then ask 2 seconds later while we are still doing the same thing!

@Corduroy: The why phase may be the death of me.

@Mrs. High Heels: Do it myself like a big boy is a phrase we hear a lot around here.

I can't believe how big all these LO's are getting!

35. Smurfette

@Mrs. High Heels: yes, the I do it is frequent around here.
    @ALV91711: that is what kills us. Clearly kid you can see I am still sitting next to you eating! Stop asking!

What is everyone's LO favorite toy? Thing to do? We need to clean out the playroom, too many baby toys still. She loves play-doh these days.

36. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: His favourite toys are puzzles and thing to do is colouring. But most of the time he likes to play with things that aren't toys. He loves to sweep, mop & vacuum. He's also been really into helping with the garden.

Mostly the toys are untouched! I feel like we are going to have to do a clean out soon, definitely before Christmas.

37. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@Smurfette: LO likes coloring, Little People, building (duplos, magnatiles, and train tracks), and anything princess or Frozen related.

38. travellingbee

@Smurfette: He likes his kitchen and his ride on train. He plays with his baseball bat and tee a lot. Other than that... He doesn't play much with his toys unless someone else is over playing with him. Then he loves all of them.

39. Adira

@Mrs. High Heels: Xander's birthday is Feb. 26th, so he's only a couple days younger than J! How'd J do with the movie? I feel like Xander doesn't have the attention span to watch a movie. He can barely get through an entire 10 minute episode.

@ALV91711: Good luck with potty training this weekend! I can't wait to hear how it goes.

@Smurfette: Xander's favorite toys are his Megabloks, matchbox cars, basketball and hoop, and his other little balls. He likes pretending to play baseball. And I think hide and seek is his favorite game.

40. Mrs. High Heels

blogger / eggplant / 11551 posts

@ALV91711: J is always saying "what's going on?" too... or "what happened?"... I've also gotten, "mama, come here RIGHT NOW" a few times. Oh boy.

@Smurfette: His absolute favorite is Magnatiles, but he combines it with shopkins and his rescuebots. He makes towers and houses out of the magnatiles, and plays pretend with the shopkins and rescuebots.

@Adira: Oh they're really close in age! J did surprisingly well... I wasn't sure about taking him either, but we went with a bunch of friends and their LO's so tried it out. He sat through about an hour of the movie and then got restless so we didn't watch the last 20 minutes, and got a voucher for next time (they wouldn't give us a refund). I took N for the first time around 2.5 too, and she lasted about the same amount of time.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee