Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@ALV91711: I'm afraid to leave the crib too!

@QueensBee: I'm sorry bedtime and sleep has become such a nightmare! My only idea is maybe doing CIO??? I know he's not in a crib anymore, but if his room is safe enough for him to be left alone, maybe you just need to lock him in there... Really hoping you see an improvement soon.

2. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@QueensBee: I agree with @Adira: I think CIO is your only option at this point. You can't stay in there for an hour once #2 is here. I would make sure his room is toddler proof. Tell him he needs to stay in his room till the morning, when you come get him, and close the door. Lock him in or put a baby gate up. We just started an OK to wake clock cause R was starting to just come out of her room. It seemed to work this morning. She was up and yelling for us but she stayed in her room till we went and got her, when we knew it was green. R also is wanting her door propped open at night as she is falling asleep. I tell her that if she gets out of her bed or room, then we shut the door. Could something like that work?
    Potty training sucks. R hasn't wanted to pee all week at school. We aren't even taking her at night. I hate that she has lost all interest. I want to be done with diapers and pullups!

3. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

Thanks for the feedback to my woeful post!

@travellingbee: Sorry to hear you're facing the same thing. DH thinks sleep has regressed because our summer schedule has been so crazy. DH is in the middle of switching jobs so his schedule is very different, I am home for the summer, and we travel at least once a week. It's hard to find a routine. Maybe it's a teacher summer problem?

@ALV91711: We didn't have great sleep in the crib either, so I don't think we ever stood a chance! Hopefully Isaac will keep up the good sleep habits when you move him. And hooray for success with the potty! I hope it goes well at school!

@Adira: @Smurfette: Like I wrote above, DH thinks it's due to having a wacky summer schedule. We are probably going to deal with it for a few more weeks and if it doesn't improve, we will have to try CIO when I go back to work. You're right- he won't be able to do this once there's a newborn around so we have to find a way to make it work! His video monitor broke months ago and I feel uncomfortable shutting the door for the night without one so I just ordered a new one. Once we have that, I'll feel better if we decide to go that route.

The good news is that we've had much more success with the potty today! 2 pees, 1 poop, and 0 accidents thus far. Feeling so much better and hopeful that we're making some progress.

4. Smurfette

@QueensBee: that's great!
    @travellingbee: Is L pretty much trained now?

I am beginning to think R might be the last one trained!

5. Adira

@Smurfette: Don't worry - we haven't even attempted potty training with Xander! You're in good company on the potty training front.

6. Smurfette

@Adira: but she knows what to do and gets it. Lazy!

7. Adira

@Smurfette: She's probably just not ready. She'll get there eventually.

8. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

@Smurfette: Seems like it. He hasn't had an accident in a week and all his nap and night diapers are dry. He wakes up at night to pee. He has both peed and pooped in public. So, unless he regresses, I'd say he is! I'm worried about regression...
    We didn't do anything special, so I can't take any credit. He was just super ready I guess. We used the Lucie's List recommendations based on Oh Crap! His teachers are totally floored that he (the 2nd youngest in his class) was the first fully trained. But we basically say that we didn't potty train him, we just took his pants off and he did the rest. Sorry it isn't going great with R. She'll get there soon.

9. Smurfette

@travellingbee: That's awesome! I am so jealous. I have Oh Crap, so I need to start it. She will do great one day and then the next nothing.

10. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

He peed on the potty again tonight. They put him on the potty a couple times at daycare today but nothing. I told him tomorrow he could wear a pull up if he will try to pee on the potty and keep the pull up dry.

@Smurfette: I hope she gets interest in the potty again soon. I was sad to have to buy another box of diapers and wipes.

@QueensBee: Glad using the potty went better, I hope he keeps it up. I agree that having a crazy schedule could be the source of bad bed times. I hope things get better once your routine starts back up.

@travellingbee: That is awesome that he is potty trained and staying dry at night!

11. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@travellingbee: Wow! It's pretty amazing that he basically trained himself! I guess they are really ready when they're ready!

@ALV91711: Great, hope it continues to go well!

@Smurfette: I read Oh Crap! last weekend. I liked the author's writing style so it was a pretty quick/easy read. The fact that she says Block 1 can take 1-3 days, on average, is the only reason I stuck it out a third day and now I'm so glad that I did! Hope R picks up interest again. Even though today was a success, I have a feeling that we're going to hit some major bumps as we tackle clothes, underwear, daycare, and public outings.

Pete didn't nap today was completely exhausted at bedtime. He had a major overtired meltdown when I took him to pick DH up from the train station around 6pm, but then didn't cry at bedtime and went to sleep without a fuss. I guess he had gotten all the crying out of his system earlier! Hoping he stays in his bed tonight...

12. travellingbee

@QueensBee: Yes, but it means now he wakes up at night to go pee and won't go by himself.

13. travellingbee

@ALV91711: Oh I replied to Queensbee but I meant it to be in response to you.

14. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@travellingbee: Middle of the night wake ups are hard. Hopefully it won't last long. Does he drink lots close to bed time?

15. travellingbee

@ALV91711: Nope, not at all. He doesn't even drink very much at dinner and nothing after dinner. I don't know why he has to go but he definitely goes. I'm amazed because before we potty trained, he was waking up with a full diaper every morning. Sometimes peeing out. I don't know how his brain switched gears so quickly.

16. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@travellingbee: That is a quick change. I'm assuming he goes pee before bed. I guess it is just a matter of time. And hopefully he stops soon so you can get a full nights sleep.

17. shopaholic

bananas / 9973 posts

Hi Mamas! I can never keep up with this board, but checked in because we've been having some bedtime issues, I figured it was normal for this age. Sorry @QueensBee: , but I'm glad to have someone to sort of commiserate with! K has increasingly been stalling on going to bed and finding lots of excuses and reasons not to fall asleep, whereas it was SO simple before! Now I have to go into her room multiple times before she settles back down. It's making me dread the bed/room transition we have planned.

Figured I'll jump in with our update as well!

LO: Kaitlyn

Molars: Noticed the bottom back molars were starting to come through a couple of weeks ago. The pain/irritability seems to come and go. Some nights she is just a chewing machine, chewing her lovey, utensils, straws, like crazy. No signs of the upper 2-yr molars yet.

Vocal Skills: Very very vocal and opinionated! It amazes me every day how much MORE she can say at once, things she can recall, and describe in such detail now!

Physical Skills: Very physical and adventurous. Not very timid. I think we need a rock-climbing wall and trampoline - she wants to climb and jump everything. Seems to have and endless supply of energy.

Food: Always picky. She mainly loves Asian carb-loaded foods. Meats and veggies, even some fruits, are hard to convince her to eat. We rely on an embarrassingly high amount of fried chicken nuggets for meat. Milk intake is on the up and up, but only if it comes in a flavor, or in the form of squeezable yogurt.

Potty Training: Going on Month 3 successfully, but I'm scared to jinx myself. I still prefer to put her in Pull-Ups for overnight and long drives, but she fights them so she's gone many a nights in just undies. We also survived 2 road trips with just undies and potty breaks. We're about to move her into her big girl bed/new room in a couple of weeks. And with baby #2 on the way, I know I can probably expect some regressions.

As for other developmental skills/milestones, I'm trying to work on the alphabet, numbers, and counting. K's had very little interest in learning them until about a month ago. She can recognize her own first initial for sure now and slowly more and more letters in her name. I think she is interested in numbers and letters, but quickly loses the interest and focus. Wondering how far along are everyone else's LOs doing with these and what has helped? Especially if your LO is SAH and not learning from daycare/preschool?

18. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@shopaholic: So lucky that she is potty trained. And amazing that she can go on a road trip in undies! I'd be so nervous about that.

Alphabet puzzles and fridge magnets. We have them at home and I think it has helped him a lot. At daycare they do flashcards to learn new words. I think at this age just keeping it fun helps them learn and not putting pressure.

19. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@Smurfette: You're not alone in the potty training set back. We're totally backing off and letting LO take the lead again. She usually goes on the potty about 2x a day now. I am.encouraged that she A) knows when she is wet vs dry B) can hold her pee quite a while. So I optimistically think once she decides she's really going to use the potty she'll do well.

20. Adira

So we spent the weekend at Hubs' grandparents' house this weekend. We got a Shrunk Toddler Bed for Xander to sleep on. We put it at the foot of the bed we were sleeping in and all go to bed. In the morning, we hear Xander start to whine, look up, and he's THREE FEET from his bed and is curled up against the wall on the floor!!!! Hubs goes "Xander! Why are you way over there??" Xander looks around and just starts laughing and then crawls back over to the toddler bed and climbs back in! Kids are crazy.

21. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@shopaholic: So nice to read your update! Can't believe she's been potty trained for three months- that's amazing! I'm a little jealous of all the delicious asian carb-loaded food I see her eating on IG! Pete knows a lot of his letters and numbers, but he's at school 4 days/week. We don't do much at home except follow his lead. I think the best thing you can do is read, read, read to them all the time, and try to incorporate counting or numbers into everyday activities.

@Adira: I love that he just laughed it off and crawled back into bed! Pete's a wild sleeper and he has been flopping out of his toddler bed each night too. I just ordered him a twin sized mattress today and I'm hoping that may help him stay in his own bed a little longer.

We went to the lakehouse this weekend and potty training regressed. So we're back home today, with a 100% success rate so far. He's even been wearing shorts this afternoon (as opposed to bottomless) and making it to the potty in time. I'm going to try to send him to school on Wednesday and see how he does.

22. Adira

@shopaholic: Jealous of your potty training success!! As for letters and numbers, Xander's in daycare, so he's probably learning a lot there. He's pretty good at counting to 20, although he misses a few after 10 half the time. I think part of that is because he gets his inhaler every morning and night and we count to 20 while we do it, so he's just getting exposed over and over again. As for the alphabet, he can also recognize X and that his name starts with it, and he can sometimes say the whole alphabet. What we've found helpful is this alphabet chant:

Super Simple Songs has a ton of alphabet videos that Xander loves and we watch them all the time after dinner and I think that's really helped him learn his letters.

23. Adira

@QueensBee: haha, yeah, maybe Xander just needs a bigger bed! Bummer about the potty regression at the lake, but sounds like he's back to having great progress!! I'm jealous.

24. shopaholic

bananas / 9973 posts

@ALV91711: I do need to get some fridge magnets for her. We do have alphabet and number puzzles, but she loses interest really quickly and usually just telling ME to put them back in place. So I guess I get lazy with playing with them with her.

@Adira: That's hilarious! I have a friend whose daughter sleeps on the floor every single night by the door without fail. She finally gave up and just pulls blankets and pillows there so she has somewhere soft and warm to lay on like a nest. Thanks for the video! Will show K in the morning! I'm impressed with up to 20! K still counts like "1,2,1" but can repeat all the numbers up to 10 after us.

@QueensBee: Thank you! Unfortunately, she pretty much ONLY likes Asian carbs. Veggies and meats are still such a hard sell! We have been pointing out more and more letters during reading - she gets interested in the cover/titles. And she wants to be read to constantly, so I'm thinking that'll be a good sign with letters and words eventually. Glad his potty training regression was only minor and you're back on track!

25. Adira

@shopaholic: hahaha, kids are crazy! Yeah, I think Xander's only good with his numbers because of his inhaler and the fact that we count to 20 every morning and night. We used to just count to 10 twice, but once he was good at counting to 10, we expanded to counting to 20. He still gets caught up on 11-20 though, and usually skips 13 and 17 for some reason! Good luck with the alphabet!

26. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Corduroy: 2x a day on the potty is better than none. Sounds like she is almost there.

@Adira: That is so funny that he just started laughing when he was out of the bed. Did he do good sleeping in a bed?

@QueensBee: So awesome that he got back on track with the potty when you got home. You are going to be done with diapers soon!!

@shopaholic: Half the time when Isaac does puzzles he demands we put the pieces in. So then I just ask him what every piece is and if he doesn't know I tell him.

27. Adira

@ALV91711: I don't know how much of the night he was actually in the bed (air mattress really), but yeah, he did great! We let him stay up late, so I think that helped, and he slept 9:30 - 6:00.

28. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

Ugh, LO has had a couple of particularly nasty poop blow out accidents in the last few days. Combined with the 2 month old we're u to our elbows in poop and doing a lot of laundry. I told LO last night that her poo poo is too big and doesn't fit in a diaper anymore. Must go in potty. She's obsessed with 'big poo poos' so I hope that gets her back on the pot.

29. Smurfette

@shopaholic: ha, R counts like K, 1,2,1. I know she can count to 5 at least. Just like everything else she only will do it when she feels like it. We just try and make counting apart of playing. We have an alphabet puzzle and I will ask her what letter her name starts with, then the friends in her class, and she can find them. I know they are working on it there. Otherwise we just read a couple books with letters and try and sing it with her. Usually she tells me no sing Mommy. Also she loves the Endless Alphabet app. We need to buy the numbers one.
    @Corduroy: Urg, I hope that works!

30. travellingbee

@Smurfette: L can count to like 15 and say te while alphabet but he doesn't recognize letters or numbers visually (correctly) at all. All letters are QRSTUV. And numbers he often thinks are letters too.

31. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Major melt down at pickup today. He has pretty much mastered walking down the stairs not holding anything. So when we leave I let him walk down the couple steps then tell him that he has to hold my hand in the parking lot. He doesn't want to so I carry him to the car and he freaks. It took about five minutes to get him in his car seat, he just kept stretching out and sliding down. Then proceeded to scream the whole way home.

@Adira: That is good. Does that give you hope for when you take him out of the crib? We've decided that unless he starts trying to climb out he is staying in the crib until 3.

@Corduroy: That is awesome and I love it. I'm going to have to keep it in mind.

@Smurfette: I've heard the endless alphabet is good, I might have to get that one for him.

@travellingbee: 15 is good. We an get to 11 most times but a lot of the time he just likes to skip between 11 and other numbers. I can get him to count to 20 if I say each number first.

I can't believe how smart all our LO's are getting. Where did the babies go?

32. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Corduroy: Oh man, that's a lot of poop. Hope she picks it up again soon!

@ALV91711: Gah, that's always extra rough after a day of work!

I know I've been complaining about Pete's sleep recently. And I can't say we've made a ton of progress (but it is slightly better this week!). So instead of focusing on that, I thought I'd share some sweet things he's said while we've been home this week in potty boot camp...
    Today, as we were playing, he said, "Mama, I'm glad you're here." Cue, my heart, melted on the floor. He's also started saying, "I love you, mama. To the sun and back" unprompted. And just being super affectionate with hugs and snuggles in general. He's definitely a mama's boy. Even though this week of pee accidents and cabin fever has been long, it's also been really sweet bonding time.

He'll be trying the potty at school tomorrow and I'm super curious to see how it goes. I just have no idea what to expect!

33. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

Oh boy we were on vacation and I missed the update round. So here comes ours. Better late than never, right...

LO: B

Molars: They have all been in since Christmas. Yay for no more teething. Although he was never a bad teether to begin with.

Vocal Skills: Definitely not as vocal as most of his peers. But it is improving everyday and it is so much fun actually having little conversations with him. Since his receptive language is way above average no one is worried and so we’re not stressing over it.

Physical Skills: He is a ball of energy. He can walk for miles if he feels like it and often does on daycare outings. Not so much for us because he sees his sister’s stroller and then wants to sit in one too. He is crazy strong he can easily lift his 16 lbs sister and carry her around. He’ll also roll our suitcases and carry groceries. It’s crazy, we always joke that we have to be careful not to be caught by CPS because it can look like child labor.

Food: He eats like a teenager. Seriously sometimes his portions are larger than ours. But then that kid is above the curve on weight and still extremely tall (we’re at about 3ft 2in) so yeah… He’s still not very picky although he shows normal toddler behavior like not eating something one day and then devouring it the next time. Overall he’s quite the foody and the higher quality the foods are the more he likes them.

Potty Training: He goes to toilet in the mornings, after naps and in the evening but is still in pull ups or diapers. He’s been completely dry at daycare often. He doesn’t like pooping on the toilet yet and before that isn’t happening we’re not pushing it. If he isn’t out of diapers when he’s 3 maybe we will but until then we’ll let it happen on his terms.

Sleep has been a lot better over here since we pushed bedtime back an hour to 1.5 hours. He now goes to bed at 8:15-9pm but sleeps until 6:45am most days. Since he still takes 1.5-2h naps at daycare that's not loads of sleep but seemingly enough. Everyone is happier with a 6:45am wake-up than a 5am wake-up though so, whatever. Now that he's sleeping longer little sister is loving to get up at 6am though... Seriously can't we just all sleep until at least 6:30am? Getting him to bed is still annoying since we still have to sit with him but then we won't have to do so forever so I guess we'll just see for now.

34. Adira

@ALV91711: They really try to exert their independence at this age! If I don't let Xander climb into his car seat on his own, we have a meltdown here too. But you've gotta do what you have to to keep them safe! I've had to manhandle Xander into the car before too when he wasn't listening to me and tried to run around in the parking lot after daycare pickup.

@ALV91711: I'm hoping since he slept so well on (or near) the air mattress, that means he'll do okay out of the crib! Although he'll probably sleep on the floor somewhere, haha. I'm not taking him out of the crib anytime soon though!

@QueensBee: Oh my gosh, Pete sounds soooooooooo sweet!!!!! The unprompted "I love yous" and snuggles are the best!! It makes the other stuff worth it.

@Pumuckl: Wow! B is so strong! Xander's tried to pick up Logan before, but quickly claims "He's too heavy!" Also, holy crap! I can't believe how tall B is!!!! Xander's not even three feet yet!! He's only 33 inches (2 ft 9 in).

35. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Pumuckl: So glad to see your update! I still can't get over how big and strong he is! Ha, I have a feeling that as soon as we get the hang of Pete's sleep, Baby #2 will be the one keeping us up all night too. Can't win! But sounds like everything is going well!

36. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@QueensBee: Such a sweet little boy.

@Pumuckl: B is such a big strong boy. Good to hear sleep is going better.

37. shopaholic

bananas / 9973 posts

@QueensBee: Oh! What a sweetie pie! Makes me look forward to the sweetness of a mama's boy!

@Pumuckl: Wow! He is SOOO tall! And sounds so strong!

38. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Isaac woke up this morning again with a soaked through diaper that required a pj change. This is the second time in the last couple weeks. Should I be sizing up his diapers? He never has any leaks during the day.

39. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: I would size up and have done that for B. He only ever leaked during the night. I just nowadays never know how many diapers to buy because I don't want to be sitting on 200+ diapers when he finally decides to be done. Since little sis is such a peanut I'm pretty sure we'll never need the same size diapers for her.

@Adira: @QueensBee: @shopaholic: @ALV91711: He is such a strong little guy. But he is also so caring for others and it makes me insanely proud of him They call him "daddy" at his daycare because he helps the other kids when the're struggling, picks up there hats, bottles etc. All the other parents at daycare know him since he brings them their kids' lost possessions

40. Adira

@ALV91711: How much does he weigh and what size is he currently in? And what brand? Xander was constantly soaking through his diaper until we switched to the Huggies Overnites (and we still have issues with them sometimes...). Any chance his penis wasn't tucked down?

@Pumuckl: That is so sweet!!! I think Xander tends to be a bully when he's bigger than the other kids in his class... he does better when he's one of the smallest/youngest!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee