Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Mrs. High Heels: What happened, that is another popular one here!

@Adira: I stopped and bought underwear for Isaac on the way home tonight and he was so excited. He insisted on wearing them right away and in less than half an hour had 2 pee accidents. I'm hoping tomorrow will go good and I don't lose my mind!!

2. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@ALV91711: In case it helps you, I found that my LO always goes again within 15 minutes of having an accident. So we still encourage a potty trip after the accident.

3. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Corduroy: That is good to know.

4. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

@ALV91711: I so t know how far you into potty training but with L, he did better commando at first than with underwear. They felt too much like a diaper. With just pants he had no accidents.

5. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Underwear on and within 5 minutes he peed on the floor.

6. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

I've loved reading all of your updates today! So nice to hear from everyone!

LO: Pete

Molars: All of the bottoms are in and the top ones are starting to peek through. They seriously take forever though. At least he is now old enough to say, "Mama my teeth hurt. I need medicine!" instead of crying all night before I figure it out.

Vocal Skills: He is also talking up a storm. A few weeks ago, he had a bruise on his face. My dad asked him how he got the bruise. Pete said, "I was walking with my ice pop. I tripped and fell. I hit my face and got a bruise" (pronounced "bwooze"). I had no idea that he could recount such a complete story!

Physical Skills: He's a cautious but sturdy kid. He is an excellent climber up and down stairs, hiking trails, and playground equipment. He still hasn't mastered pedaling his tricycle so we're going to work on that next.

Food: He's gotten pickier this summer. He is still fairly adventurous, but also tries to demand treats likes cookies and chips at every meal. But he'll eat undressed lettuce when it's on his plate so it's easy enough to get in some veggies. His favorite food is probably bacon. He also ate a whole slice of NYC-style pizza with one hand last week. This seriously impressed his 7 year old cousin, who still asks for his pizza to be cut up.

Potty Training: Officially starting on Thursday! I want to give it a try this summer, while it is warm out and I'm home from work, but we travel every weekend and he is switching to a new classroom at school after Labor Day. But this is the week we are going to give it a go!

7. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@QueensBee: I love his little story. It is crazy how much they know and understand.

Potty training today was disastrous. I think we went through 5 pairs of underwear before nap time. I was putting him on the potty regularly and he kept saying he had to go and running to the potty but never went. A few minutes after being on the potty he'd have a small accident. Then getting close to nap time I could tell he had to go but he was holding it in and super upset. I decided for an early nap, put a diaper on him and he filled it up right away.

Then nap time was a disaster, it took 2 hours to get him to go to sleep. Finally DH put him in our bed with me and he fell asleep. So this afternoon we decided to step back from underwear and get out of the house.

8. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@ALV91711: sorry it didn't go well! It seriously sucks.

9. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@ALV91711: Sorry to hear it was a frustrating day! I have a feeling that we're going to have a rough go of it too. Hope today went better!

10. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: @QueensBee: We didn't even try today. He was so mad at his potty that we thought we'd give it some time.

11. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@ALV91711: Sorry to hear the potty training was a bust! Maybe he's just not ready?

@QueensBee: Impressive vocal skills!! And good luck with potty training.

OMG, girls, Xander recited the entire alphabet this weekend!!!!! I was seriously impressed - I had no idea he knew the whole thing! He just started going and Hubs and I looked at each other when he got to around "Q" and we were like "Holy shit, he's going to do the whole alphabet!"

12. Smurfette

@ALV91711: just keep the potty out, and try to get him to sit on it at night.
    @QueensBee: Good luck!
    @Adira: Impressive! R can't do it yet, at least for us. She might at school.

13. travellingbee

@Adira: awesome!! L sings the whole song but mispronounces a few letters.

14. Adira

@travellingbee: Oh yeah, Xander mispronounces a bunch of letters too. And "L M N O P" comes out all jumbled, haha.

15. travellingbee

@Adira: right L's sounds like "M and M O P" ha ha

16. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: Awesome that he said the alphabet. Isaac says it but L M N O P is a bit of a jumble.

@Smurfette: We have a potty upstairs and downstairs so we plan on keeping them out. He always sits on it before his bath. We figure if he asks we will put him on it but that is it for now.

So we decided last night we are going to go with gymnastics for the fall and winter. Going to have to call tomorrow and sign him up. I'm curios what class he'll be in since there is one for 1.5-2.5 and one for 2.5-3.5 and he'll be 2.5 in September. The only difference is the times and length of class.

17. Smurfette

@ALV91711: I would go with the older class if you can. R is 2.5 the middle of Sept but they let us sign her up for the 2.5-3.5 class that starts 8/22

18. Adira

@ALV91711: @Smurfette: Jealous you guys are signing up for gymnastic classes already! I'm still waiting for our YMCA to put out their brochure so I know when the classes are. The fall class doesn't start until September 8th though.

19. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Adira: Way to go, Xander! I love their little singing voices!

@ALV91711: Awe, hope he isn't mad at the potty for too long!

Pete has a new obsession with jigsaw puzzles. He is doing a 30 piece Thomas and Friends puzzle by himself on our deck, while I sit here and type this. He is laser focused! I just ordered two more puzzles off amazon because I love the independent play, and the evening peace and quiet that comes with it.

20. Adira

@QueensBee: Oooh, I need to try puzzles with Xander!

21. Smurfette

@QueensBee: R loves puzzles! Try the magnetic ones where they fish for the pieces. I got it on amazon, Melissa and Doug.

How do yall get your LO to play independently? R will not. She follows us everywhere

22. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Smurfette: Oooh, I'll take a look for the magnetic one. Pete plays independently with puzzles (but only since last week), train tracks on the deck, and digging dirt in the yard. He mostly follows us everywhere too.

23. Adira

@Smurfette: Xander doesn't play independently very much. He will for a little bit if I'm nursing Logan, but more often than not, he's just bugging me until I'm done. Sometimes he'll play with blocks or his play dishes independently, but it's pretty rare and he doesn't do it for very long.

24. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: Isaac mostly follows us around but will play by himself for short spurts. I find if he can still talk to us and tell us what he is doing he will play alone longer.

Today he wanted something from his room and wanted me to get it, I was busy and asked him to wait a few minutes but instead he just went and got it himself. That was awesome.

25. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: Signed up today and they are fine with him being in the 2.5-3.5 class. Ours starts September 5.

@Adira: Does Xander try to play with Logan? It will be so awesome when they can actually play together.

26. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@Smurfette: DH has always had much better luck getting LO to play independently than I do. When I'm around she needs to be right on top of me.

Occasionally I'll read a book to LO and when she goes to get the next book she'll get distracted, sit down and read it herself. Freedom!

27. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Corduroy: I love it when they get distracted and you can just walk away.

Are the other LO's starting to use their imagination more for play? This weekend Isaac was playing and said he was going shopping for pizza. Then he said he needed a shopping cart, so he grabbed his chair and started pushing it around. Too cute!

28. Adira

@ALV91711: He does!! Not all the time, but occasionally Xander will interact with Logan and it's AWESOME. The other day, the boys were upstairs in the office with Hubs and I was downstairs and all I could hear was just Logan and Xander giggling! Hubs said they "played" together for about 20 minutes entertaining each other! Apparently Xander was just playing peak-a-boo or something with Logan, but they both thought it was a riot.

@ALV91711: Xander's big into pretend! His biggest thing seems to be pretending there are mini versions of us that he carry around, throw across the room, and eat! It's very bizarre, but he seems to think it's hysterical, especially when we participate. And last night, we probably spent 20 minutes pretending there were an unending supply of matchbox cars in an empty diaper box and just taking them out and then eating them, lol. I have no idea why we're always eating things!

29. Adira

So our daycare is trying out a new photography company and they had school pictures a few weeks ago. Well, the pictures are in and I just blew $$$ because they ended up doing sibling photos and the picture of Xander and Logan together is sooooooooo adorable!!!! I had to get it! I purchased their pricey package, but it includes the digitals, so as soon as they mail them to me, I'll show you guys.

30. travellingbee

@ALV91711: yeah that's like all L does anymore is pretend play. His favorite is baseball. He pretends to hit an imaginary ball (with a bat or whatever object is around that most closely resembles a bat) that we've pitched and then runs around crazy and slides into "home". He also likes to pretend make a picnic with his kitchen toys. Those are his favs.
    @Adira: yesterday L was pretending he was eating dog poop. Um....

31. Adira

@travellingbee: ... at least it was just pretend?

32. travellingbee

@Adira: he of course thought it was the funniest thing ever...

33. Adira

@travellingbee: haha, yeah, Xander seems to think it's hysterical when he pretends to eat mini-Mama or mini-Dada and we act horrified.

34. Smurfette

@ALV91711: She is getting better at it. Like the other day she made me soup. Which I find hilarious since we have never given her soup and I don't think she has ever had at school either. Then last night she made a bubble milkshake in the bathtub.

35. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

He peed on his potty before bath time tonight!! He was so excited. Then after he flushed he sat back on his potty and kept saying "I need more pee", "Help me get more pee mama". He was getting kind of mad that he was done.

@Smurfette: Pretend food is the best!

@Adira: That is hilarious that he pretends to eat you guys but also a little creepy. Can't wait to see the pictures of your boys. I bet the pics are worth every penny spent.

@travellingbee: I'm starting to learn that anything gross is funny to little boys.

36. Adira

@ALV91711: Yay for potty progress!! Totally agree that Xander is a little creepy...

37. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@ALV91711: Yay for potty progress! We started yesterday and it's pretty frustrating. I'm trying to celebrate the small victories and not feel totally depressed by how long I think this is going to take!

Pete has also started a lot of imaginary play and I think it's coincided with his very recent uptick in independent play. Yesterday he used a cardboard box to be a bathtub for Elmo, a digger truck, and a walking bridge. He found a small piece of clear plastic and pretended it was a band-aid and a horn. It's really cute to watch!

@Adira: I can't wait to see the pictures!! Xander's pretend play sounds hilarious! Sleep with one eye open.

38. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

I feel like a broken record on this board but bedtime has been SO BAD this week. It's taken over an hour of crying every night to get him to sleep. He absolutely won't let me leave his bedside. When I try to go wait outside the door, like we had been, he jumps up and starts screaming. And even when I do stay by his bedside, he isn't able to relax and drift off to sleep. He twists and turns and makes all sorts of demands. "Rub my back!" "No blankets!" "Give me my blankets!" "I don't like blankets!" "Sing more songs!" I've tried moving it earlier, later and nothing seems to make much of a difference. Tonight I started at 7:45pm and finally had to ask DH to come help at 8:50pm because I was losing my patience.

Oh, and he's been climbing into bed with us by 12:30am. At that point, I don't have energy to move him back into bed, and all his kicking and twisting keeps means that I haven't gotten much sleep.

Also, potty training was a bust today! He ran around naked all day, had the potty follow him to every room, and had a little reward system in place, yet he had 5 accidents on the floor and no pees on the potty. He did one poop on the potty so at least we had that. I'm going to give it one more day or else back to diapers.

Sigh, I guess I am feeling like a flop today!

39. travellingbee

@QueensBee: we're in the exact same position Sleep-wise. Wants us there with him again every night to fall asleep and then awake and in our bed by midnight. That is partly due to him wanting to get up and use the potty but then he won't go back in his bed afterwards... Grrr...

40. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@QueensBee: I'm sorry the sleep is so bad, I wish I had some suggestions. This is what scares me about leaving the crib since we've finally got a good thing going the last few months.

I'm hoping potty training goes better for you tomorrow and that he gets some pee in the potty.

I told Isaac's teacher tonight when I picked him up about peeing in the potty and she told Isaac that tomorrow he can use the toilets at school. He is very excited.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee