Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: oh no! Hope he feels better soon!

2. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@ALV91711: Sorry it's been a rough week! I hope he feels better soon!

Pete is at his first swim class with dad right now! I'm so excited to hear how it went. He's taking the class with his neighborhood friend and her dad too. I'm hoping it will help that he has a friend there!

3. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@QueensBee: I hope he has a lot of fun swimming.

I'm looking forward to gymnastics starting next week.

He's starting to feel better and slept a lot better last night but still woke up early.

4. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

I realized today why his sleep has been so bad this last week. The top two 2nd molars are in. I hope the bottom ones will come in right away to get it over with. He did sleep longer last night but still cried out a couple times waking us up but not himself.

5. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@ALV91711: It always feels so good when you realize there is an actual reason why they won't sleep! Hope those teeth come in asap!

Pete LOVED swimming class! One of our neighbors is also in the class so DH, Pete, and our neighbors all went out for a diner breakfast afterwards. Pete loved spending his whole morning with dad, especially eating silver dollar pancakes with chocolate chips. Can't stop talking about it. I think it will be a really nice Saturday morning tradition for them. And I loved the peace and quiet too!

6. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@QueensBee: I think swimming lessons were so fun for her cause they were with Daddy. I always went to watch but they did it together. I did one lesson this time.
    @ALV91711: molars suck! R only has had one gymnastics lesson so far but DH said she loved it. We missed this Sat so I am taking her to a make up class tomorrow.

We just got back from a long weekend away. R loved swimming all afternoon in the pool and lake. She jumped in over and over again. She had on a puddle jumper but she would kick her feet and move her arms like she was really swimming. Makes me can't wait for lessons next summer. But the time just the three of us, no errands, no yard work, etc was awesome. She had so much fun.

She started having an interest in the potty again. Doing good. We still have to tell her to go most of the time but she is telling us she needs to go as well. I told her next weekend the pull ups are going bye bye and going to a baby's house that needs them, and she said ok. We shall see!

7. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@Smurfette: Glad to hear she's interested in the potty again! So jealous of your weekend get-away.

8. Adira

I'll probably take this down later, but here's that picture of Xander and Logan that I had to spend $$$ to get the digital copy of, haha.

ETA: Removed picture

9. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: I missed the pic Did you put it anywhere else?

Well this morning Isaac slept in, go figure. He didn't get up until 6am. Crazy kid. I wish he would do that more often.

@Smurfette: That sounds like a fun weekend. It is nice to be able to relax and just have fun.

@QueensBee: Sounds like a great boys morning.

10. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@Smurfette: Yay for renewed potty interest! Good luck with getting rid of pull ups.

Daycare decided they wanted DD to try underwear last week. She's had some dry days and two throw the clothes away days. I'm pleased with how she's doing. DH pointed out that we introduced the potty a year ago. I didn't believe it but I found a pic with the potty from Oct 1st so it was darn close.

In melt my heart news, I finally got an 'I love you' from LO.

11. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Adira: Oh no, I missed the photo too

@ALV91711: So glad you found a reason for the crappy sleep. Hope he continues to sleep well for you. Things here have been okayish.

@QueensBee: Yeah for another little swimmer. B would be in the water all day if we let him.

@Smurfette: @QueensBee: Swimming classes were also a dad/son thing in our house before we moved. They both really enjoyed it and we plan on getting back on the bandwagon once the summer is over. (so soon ).

@Smurfette: Yeah for renewed potty interest! Hope it goes well for you. We had to promise B this morning that on the weekend he'll be allowed to go without a diaper since he didn't want to put his pull up on this morning. Also I asked at daycare yesterday and they told us he is usually dry in the mornings. We'll see how things look on the weekend and then see how it goes.

@Corduroy: Unprompted showing of affection is simply the best! I love when I get slobbery little kisses. And yeah for another potty trainee!

12. Smurfette

@Adira: I missed the pic.
    @ALV91711: at least you got one morning to sleep in!
    @Corduroy: Glad she is doing better! Aww!! I am still waiting for the I love you on her own. She always says it back when I say it but not on her own yet.
    @Pumuckl: Good luck to you this weekend too!

13. Adira

@ALV91711: @Pumuckl: @Smurfette: Are you all on IG? I'm going to be putting it there later today. I'll also post it here again, but probably remove it before my 3 hours are up.

@ALV91711: Yay for sleeping in!

@Corduroy: Oh wow! Glad to hear the potty training is going well. And OMG, "I love you" is the BEST!!!

14. Adira

@ALV91711: @Pumuckl: @Smurfette: Posting this pic again for you ladies, but I'll be removing it before my 3 hours are up. If you miss it, it'll be on IG later!

ETA: Removed image - will post to IG tonight

15. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@Adira: So cute!

16. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Adira: I saw the photo when checking HB on my phone earlier.... adorable! Worth every penny for that shot!

@Smurfette: Sounds like such a lovely weekend! And hooray for renewed potty motivation, just in time for Labor Day!

@Corduroy: I you= best sentence ever!

This is my first week back at school and Pete has been doing great on the potty with his sitters this week. He's definitely on his best behavior for everyone but me! We have a new sitter watching him two days a week. I asked him how he liked her yesterday and he said, "Great. She's a good teacher." I thought that was cute!

17. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: That picture is worth every penny. Your boys are so adorable together!

@QueensBee: That is good that he likes his new teacher and thinks she's good.

@Pumuckl: I hope no diaper goes good this weekend.

@Smurfette: I'll take one day of sleeping in. And getting up at his normal time is better than early like last week.

@Corduroy: I love you is the best. Once in a while Isaac says it on his own but mostly it is just after we say it to him.

Last night I was going out and Isaac grabbed my face in both hands and asked for a kiss. Melted my heart.

18. Adira

@QueensBee: Yay for potty training! Glad it's going well and that he likes his new sitter.

@ALV91711: Ahh!!! So sweet!!

19. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

First day of gymnastics today went ok. His first freak out happened when we took his socks off. Then the three of us waited for his class. I took him and for the first 10 minutes he clung to me crying, then he just clung to me and was really apprehensive about trying anything. Finally the last 15 minutes he started to warm up and have fun and even let the coach help him. Gymnastics and Miss Joyce were all he could talk about for the rest of the day though and he says he liked it.

20. Smurfette

@ALV91711: glad that he finally warmed up to it!

21. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Today Isaac slept until 6:30 and he went to bed at his normal time of 7:30pm. I hope he keeps up with the good sleep.

22. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@ALV91711: Just saw your gymnastics update, glad he warmed up to it! Hopefully he can use the excitement to feel better about taking his socks off at the start of next week's class! I'm thinking about signing Pete up for gymnastics this winter. He's still loving his swim class and tells me that he wants everyday to be a pool day.

23. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: yay sbout the good sleep and gymnastics! We also had a freak sleep day again were DH had to wake us at 8am

24. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Pumuckl: I can't believe both your kiddos slept until 8! That is awesome.

@QueensBee: I think gymnastics will be good since it is a bit more structured and they have to follow directions, do things in a certain order. I think for it being his first class it was good. Sounds like next weekend DH is just going to take him. I can't even tell you the last time I had the house to myself.

25. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Oh yes, and the why stage started this weekend. Save me!!

26. Adira

@ALV91711: Glad to hear he warmed up to gymnastics! We start ours this weekend!!

27. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

Way to go on the sleep this week! Hope they keep it up for you!

Pete started hitting this week. It's not terrible but I don't want it to get any worse. He only hits me and he doesn't do it very hard. He gives a small hit and then looks right at me for a reaction, so I know he knows it's bad. I've been following the Janet Lansbury approach of staying unruffled and not giving the action power. I calmly and directly say, "you're feeling mad but you can't hit. I won't let you hit me," and then block his hands and/or walk into a different room. However, sometimes he follows me and tries to hit again, so i don't know if my method is working! I'm not a huge fan of time outs but I guess we'll have to
    move in that direction if it doesn't stop over the next few days. I'm also going to order the book Hands Are Not for Hitting. He's very aware that he has the feeling to hit when he's mad about something because sometimes he says, "I want to hit you" after I tell him no. Sigh I hope it passes quickly. He is such an affectionate little boy most of the time and this hitting is making me sad! Did anyone else face a hitting stage at this age?

More positively, I think he is 99.9% potty trained! He hasn't had an accident in 7 days and keeps his underwear dry overnight. He still won't use public toilets but will use his portable potty in public bathrooms when we're out of the house. I'm hoping we can master the public toilet in the next month.

28. Adira

@QueensBee: We do time outs for hitting and they seem very effective! Xander's definitely hit us (he did a BUNCH after Logan was born, but not nearly as much anymore). Sorry you're dealing with this. But yay for potty training success!

29. Smurfette

@QueensBee: we haven't been through the hitting stage yet. But the Teeth Are Not for Biting really helped her during that stage. So the book will hopefully help! That is so awesome about PT. R still wets a lot overnight. Not getting rid of that diaper for awhile.

First back to school after potty boot camp and she just had a poop accident. So that went better then expected.

I got my first unprompted I Love you!

30. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Adira: Thanks, I think I'll give it a few more days before we move to time-outs. Like Xander, I can see him doing this more often when the baby arrives. I think he also needs to get back to his regular routines. He's been home with me all summer and definitely acts up way more with me. Today I was finally back at work and he was a happy little joy when I got home. Maybe we just need some time apart and the hitting will cool off? "Distance makes the heart grow fonder..."

@Smurfette: Just ordered the book tonight! hearing "I love you" in their little voices. Your heart must have melted! And so happy that the potty bootcamp has been a success. I think one poop accident is amazing for the first day at school! She is on her way!

Pete starts at his big kid classroom tomorrow. It's the same school as his daycare from last year but he's at a different location now. Because it's Montessori and they do mixed age classes, he'll be in a room with kids who are 3, 4, and 5 years old. I think he is going to love being around the older kids and the more challenging work. However, I fear the worst for drop-off tomorrow since he's been crying at drop-off at his old, familiar classroom. We've been prepping him a lot for the change but I just have no idea how it's going to go.... We shall see!

31. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: I love you is the best. Glad potty training went well this weekend. I hope she sticks with it.

@QueensBee: Sorry you are going through hitting. Isaac will hit if he gets mad, and he gets this scowl on his face to go with it. I usually hold his hand and tell him we don't hit and ask him to say sorry. This usually leads to him hitting again and a time out. Time outs are most effective for his bad behaviour.

I'm sure getting back into a routine will be good for you guys and hopefully you won't have to resort to time outs.

32. Adira

@Smurfette: Glad things are going well on the potty training front. And YAY for an unprompted "I love you!"

@QueensBee: Xander still cries at drop-off half the time, and he's been going to the same daycare with the same teachers forever! It's normal.

33. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

@QueensBee: we are having trouble with hitting too and he also reserves it almost exclusively for me. Maybe we should get that book too.

34. Adira

@travellingbee: I found Xander started acting up more and more when I was pregnant. It was like he knew a change was coming... wonder if that might be part of the issue you're dealing with?

35. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

@Adira: probably part of it.

36. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@travellingbee: Same. Must the be the "special" relationship mamas have with boys! I'll let you know how the book is when it arrives. I also ordered a Daniel Tiger episode called "Daniel Gets Mad" that Pete watched today. Hoping that Daniel's strategies will help him too...

@Adira: Good point! I wonder if it has something to do with the pregnancy.

I am so relieved- Pete had an amazing first day at his new school! For the first time in MONTHS, he didn't cry at drop off and had a great day. He used the potty there, made new friends, and his teacher said he "led the discussion" about the book they read aloud. I'm not sure what that means, lol, but she said he was very outgoing and chatty. Fingers are crossed that Day 2 goes this well on Friday.

37. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@QueensBee: What an awesome first day. I hope it continues to go good.

38. Adira

@QueensBee: That's awesome he had such a good day!! And yay for using the potty! I'm so behind on the potty training...

39. Smurfette

@QueensBee: that's great!
    @Adira: You aren't behind at all! Kids are ready at different times. Is day care doing anything there? There are kids older then R in her class and they aren't trained or much interest in it. I wouldn't worry about it.

40. Adira

@Smurfette: I don't know if/how many in Xander's class are potty trained or not, but they do consistently take him to the potty. He sits, but doesn't do anything yet.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee