Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@Adira: then I wouldn't worry about it. I think most kids are trained closer to 3. You have time!

2. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@Smurfette: That stupid Oh Crap book has me all paranoid because it says to potty train between 20 and 30 months and Xander's already older.

3. Smurfette

@Adira: I wouldn't worry about it. The book also said to keep them commando for weeks and R is already in panties and doing great. Find what works for you. If he isn't showing signs of being ready, then the 30 months doesn't matter.

4. Adira

@Smurfette: Yeah, that's true. I think he's probably ready - he can tell us if he needs a diaper change and has a passing interest in the potty and can take his pants on and off. We just need to bite the bullet. I think we're planning on doing it Columbus Day weekend.

5. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Adira: IRL a lot of people are surprised that Pete's already trained, since he's not even 2.5 yet. I think people on HB might start earlier than most. You have plenty of time and it sounds like he's really starting to show readiness. I think Columbus Day will be the perfect time to give it a try!

6. Adira

@QueensBee: Thanks! That's true about HBers potentially being ahead of the curve.

7. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: I wouldn't worry about not being potty trained. I think even having him introduced to the potty is a good step. Isaac has mild interest in the potty but not enough care to use it. They will get there. I'm thinking of making a reward chart and getting a bunch of dollar store toys for next time we try. This kid works well for rewards.

8. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Isaac got his first birthday part invite at daycare this week. His girlfriend is turning 3!

9. Adira

@ALV91711: How exciting!!! Love that these kids are making friends at this age!

10. Adira

@Smurfette: R is in gymnastics, right? How do you handle that now that you've gone through the potty training boot camp? Are you worried about her having an accident during gymnastics at all?

11. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: That's such a big milestone But wow, how can our babies be turning 3!!! already?

12. Smurfette

@Adira: Yep! She did fine on Saturday. They were closed Labor Day weekend. I took her potty right before class and then right after. The class is 45 mins, so I wasn't that worried. I did keep her panties on verses just having her wear the leotard.
    @ALV91711: fun!

13. Smurfette

@Adira: you could get some of the Gerber training pants. They are more absorbent then regular undies.

14. Adira

@Smurfette: Glad to hear everything went well! I'm planning on skipping a gymnastics class over the weekend we start potty training, but then I wasn't sure what to do after that. Hopefully after a week, it'll be fine and I can just do what you did.

Also, Xander had his first gymnastics class on Saturday and I'm so sore today!

15. Smurfette

@Adira: Why are you sore?

16. Adira

@Smurfette: I think because we did a couple activities during gymnastics where I had to lift Xander (including some backwards crunches when I had to flip him over my head), so I think that's why!

17. Smurfette

@Adira: oh wow! We (the parents) don't do much. Mostly follow them through the routine but the coach is there to help with the big flips. Did he like it?

18. Adira

@Smurfette: He loved it!! Though he was afraid of the parachute (at the end, they had a big parachute and all the kids were supposed to walk on it and under it while the parents lifted it up and down).

19. Smurfette

@Adira: we do the parachute at the beginning as part of the warm up. R loves it!

20. Adira

@Smurfette: I'm hoping Xander will warm up to it! The beginning of our gymnastics is "circle time" where we do songs and stretches.

21. Smurfette

@Adira: yeah we do the parachute, songs, and stretching. Then go out in the main room and do everything else. R has no interest in the stretching, she wants to go out in the main room and jump!

22. Adira

@Smurfette: haha, yeah, I believe it! Xander didn't mind circle time, but we've only had one class so far, so I think curiosity kept him interested. I suspect next time, he'll just want to go play on the equipment.

23. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: Sounds like he had fun at gymnastics. I was thinking the same thing on Saturday about potty training. Our class the parents are very involved in helping the kids. Isaac loved it so much on his second week. They were doing things like walking backwards on the balance beam, of course 100% helped by the parent.

@Smurfette: Parachute would be so much fun. I'm glad she didn't have an accident during class.

@Pumuckl: We still have 6 months until 3, but his room at daycare goes up to 3. This little girl has been in the daycare since before Isaac started, so her and Isaac go way back, lol!

24. Adira

@ALV91711: Walking backwards on the balance beam!! That sounds advanced, haha. Xander needs help walking forward.

25. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: Well with backwards I held his hands and the coach moved his feet. She said it takes a few times for them to be able to do it on their own.

26. Adira

@ALV91711: Oh okay, that makes sense. I wonder if we'll eventually try backwards. Our class is pretty big though, so helping every kid do it might be too time consuming.

27. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: She didn't have to help many. But Isaac is the youngest and one of the only ones who's never done gymnastics. The coach said they do this type of stuff so that once they hit preschool classes they can do it on their own. And they were doing the low balance beam too at the same time, so we were never waiting.

28. Adira

@ALV91711: Oh, I see. I wonder if you're in a more "advanced" class than ours. Ours is called "Discovery Gymnastics" and is for 1-3 year olds. I think most of the kids haven't taken any sort of gymnastics before. I could've enrolled Xander in the next class for 2-3 year olds, but I thought he should do the intro one first.

29. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: Ours is parents & tots for 2.5-3.5 year olds. Isaac is definitely the youngest in his class.

30. Smurfette

@Adira: @ALV91711: R's class is 2-3.5 yr olds but it for the whole year. They said by Jan the parents will most likely be out in the waiting room watching.

31. Adira

@ALV91711: @Smurfette: Ohhh, interesting! Yeah, ours is just an intro class for 8 weeks I think. If he really loves it, I might do the next level in the Winter or Spring session.

32. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: @Adira: Ours is only 8 weeks but there is another 8 week session right after that I have to remember to sign him up for.

33. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: That will be awesome when you can just watch! If we continue on with gymnastics then the pre-school class is just the kids. You have to stay and watch until your kid is able to go to the washroom by themselves, at that point if you want you can just drop off and pick up.

34. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

He peed at daycare today for the first time! I'm so happy about this. Yesterday morning he packed underwear in his backpack and when I told his teacher she said it was probably because she is giving stickers to all the potty trainers who stay dry all day.

Going to make him a reward chart in the next few days and try and get this kid using the potty.

35. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@ALV91711: Yay, that's awesome news! Pete had his first bm at daycare yesterday and I was so proud, lol!

He's at swim class now and it's nice having a few quiet mornings on a Saturday morning to spend on HB with a cup of coffee...

Two updates from the week:
    Unfortunately, the hitting is getting worse, not better. I have to assume we are in the throes of the terrible 2s. He seems to unravel when he gets tired. Then he hits, kicks, and headbutts whenever he doesn't get his way. We've been using time outs in his room this week but they don't seem to be helping. I can only hope that if we keep at it, this phase will have to end soon. Alternatively, he is the sweetest boy with all his other caregivers and friends. He is absolutely thriving at his new school. He definitely saves his worst behavior for mom and dad at home! So exhausting!

Also, he had a major pee accident in his carseat on a long drive last Sunday. I tried to clean out the seat but realized that, after two years of daily use, it was just disgusting and decided to buy a new one. I installed it on Thursday and made an appointment with a certified car seat technician for Friday. I had read the whole car seat manual, read online installation reviews, and watched the installation videos so I was feeling pretty confident about it. Nope! Apparently I had the whole thing wrong and his old seat had been installed incorrectly too! I was so shocked! The technician told me that, even though I had followed the seat manufacturer's manual correctly, the set up they recommended wasn't the best one for my particular car (2014 Subaru Outback). He took everything out and completely reinstalled it. So this is my PSA to always have your car seats double checked by an expert!

Hope everyone is having fun at their Saturday morning swim and gymnastics lessons!

36. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@QueensBee: Isn't it kind of crazy how exciting them using the toilet is! What a nice quiet morning. DH is taking Isaac to gymnastics today. I'm going to use that quiet time to clean my car! That is crazy about your car seat, good thing you had it checked.

This week was crazy at daycare, three kids in Isaac's room had birthday's and each one brought cake. Cake 3 times in one week! I don't mind him having cake but each of those nights he was a mess from the sugar high. A couple times parents have brought in goody bags for the class and it is all candy & chocolate, yesterday at least there was some stickers and a pony along with the candy.

37. Adira

OMG, I think we are potty training! Xander refused to put his diaper back on after gymnastics...

38. Adira

@ALV91711: That's awesome he went pee at daycare!! Hopefully he continues to do well with potty training! And all that sugar is crazy. Yikes!

@QueensBee: Ugh, sorry you're still dealing with hitting. It's rough. We went through the hitting phase for a while with Xander. We always do time out in the kitchen usually - just sitting at a kitchen chair. Nothing to do, so he gets sick of it pretty quick. We've done it in his room too - also sitting in a chair. Hope he gets it soon!

39. Adira

So this morning was interesting. We had gymnastics and when we came back, I had to feed Logan. While I was feeding him, Hubs tried to change Xander's diaper and Xander didn't want to put a new one on! So we were like "Umm... guess we'll try potty training?? We went downstairs and rolled up the rug in the living room to help with messes. Xander almost immediately peed on the floor, but then after that one accident, he peed on the potty 3 times! AND went poop on the potty!! He's down for a nap now and back in a diaper, so who knows what the afternoon will bring...

40. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: Spontaneous potty training! Hopefully this will just be it and he'll do it. That is kind of what happened yesterday morning, he didn't want a diaper, so I got him in a pull up to go to school.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee