Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Corduroy: I hope she's feeling better soon. It is no fun being away with a sick kiddo.

Tonight after dinner Isaac wore underwear with no accident and peed in the potty before his bath! We had the same thing as you @Adira: I was changing his diaper and he didn't want to put another one on.

Guess it is definitely potty training this weekend.

2. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@ALV91711: That's great! It definitely sounds like he's ready!

3. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@ALV91711: awesome!
    @Adira: How's Xander doing?

4. Adira

@Smurfette: He's doing great! Hubs was good and put him in undies yesterday morning and he had NO ACCIDENTS!!! He did go poop in his nap diaper though, but still, I'm very proud of him!

5. Smurfette

@Adira: That's great!

6. Adira

@Smurfette: Saturday will be the big test because we have gymnastics so we'll be trying to use a public restroom for the first time. I'm nervous!

7. Smurfette

@Adira: He will be fine. Reagan has never had issues with going in public bathrooms. But she doesn't use a small potty, just the regular at home, and no insert. She didn't like it.

8. Adira

@Smurfette: Ahhh, yeah, Xander has a potty chair at home, so I'm not sure how he'll do on a regular toilet. I did buy a travel insert to use... who knows!! I'll just bring extra changes of clothes to be on the safe side.

9. Smurfette

@Adira: what does day care have?

10. Adira

@Smurfette: They have like smaller versions of regular toilets... they are low to the ground and everything - very weird looking!

11. Smurfette

@Adira: that is what she has too. Maybe that will help since it isn't like he isn't exposed to a regular one. Or try it at home tonight and tomorrow night.

12. Adira

@Smurfette: Yeah, good idea! We'll have to practice at home and then I'll feel a little more confident about using a public restroom.

13. Adira

Today was a disaster: three big accidents before noon. He had to go back into a diaper because they ran out of pants to put him in. And his shoes got soaked and he had to wear his rain boots the rest of the day (I don't know what happened to his crocs...).

14. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: Yikes! Hopefully tomorrow is better. Couldn't he have gone shoeless instead of boots? Lots of the time Isaac and the kids in his class go shoeless while inside.

We had a pee on the toilet again tonight!

@Smurfette: Public restrooms will be our biggest challenge. Isaac is scared of them and has been for a long time, it is the noise of the toilets and hand driers that freak him out.

I'm so pooped and ready for the weekend to be here. We have a busy weekend but not having to be out the door early is the best.

15. Smurfette

@Adira: those days are going to happen. Just start fresh tomorrow. And send like 6 pairs of pants.

16. Adira

@ALV91711: I don't think they are allowed to go shoeless. They aren't even allowed to wear flip-flops!

@Smurfette: Yep! I packed so much stuff for today! Pants, undies, a couple shirts, socks, and even an extra pair of shoes!

17. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: Hopefully today goes good.

Has anyone decided on Halloween costumes? Isaac is going to be a minion, bought his costume a couple weeks ago at Costco. This is the first year we are taking him trick-or-treating.

18. Smurfette

@ALV91711: Yep. She picked Molly from Bubble Guppies. Working on maybe getting costumes for DH and I to wear too. She would think it is the best thing if we did.

19. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@ALV91711: Pete is going to be a train. It's the only thing he would consider! I ended up using a gift card to buy a train costume from Pottery Barn Kids. He likes looking at it but won't put it on yet. I'm going to be annoyed if he refuses to wear it on Halloween! Hopefully, he'll be enticed by the idea of collecting candy and walking around with his friends who will also be in costume.

@Adira: There will be ups and downs with potty training. Sorry yesterday was a bad day. We are currently having a crappy week of potty training and we've been at it for 6 weeks now!

Ladies, I am having one of those days when I'd like to trade my kid in! He is being so difficult this week! He's decided that he doesn't want to use the potty and has been having lots of accidents. This morning, I had a 9am appt with my ob/gyn and we had to be out the door by 8:30am. We were up at 7:30am. He refused to get dressed or use the potty for an hour. I tried to lure him to the potty with licorice and the promise of a tv show. No dice. Finally, at 7:55am I had to wrestle him into a diaper and clothes because I didn't want him peeing all over the doctor's office. The whole week has felt this way. From the morning potty to the evening bath, everything seems to be a battle.

I will say that he was quite well behaved once we were at the doctor's office. As we were walking out of the exam room, he said, "Is the baby out of your tummy now?" and had all the nurses laughing!

But then he screamed and cried bloody murder at school drop off. Sigh.

20. Smurfette

@QueensBee: Aww! Hopefully next week will be better. I wonder why he doesn't want to go on the potty now. R had a freak out like that when we first tried to train her. Would cry when we told it was time to go, had accidents in her panties, would only go in the pull up not the potty, frustrating.

21. Adira

@ALV91711: He's going to be Thomas the Train. I've been working on his costume all day today!!

@QueensBee: Ugh, we've been having a really rough week with Xander too! This morning he wouldn't go potty and then he wouldn't put his undies on and he had to be manhandled into the car to go to daycare. And on Wednesday when I picked him up, he refused to come home with me! I had to drag him out to the car and then manhandle him into it, the entire time he's screaming and putting up a fight! AND I had Logan, so it was really difficult dragging a toddler while carrying a baby!! UGH, what is with these kids??

22. Adira

So far today has been good, potty-wise. We even got two poops on the potty!

23. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: That would be awesome if you guys dressed up too!

@QueensBee: So cute asking if the baby is out! I hope that you had a better weekend and he's been less frustrating.

@Adira: Sounds like a good day, hopefully he'll keep it up this week.

Isaac went to his first birthday party for a friend today. He had a lot of fun. Took him a bit to warm up but then he didn't want to leave. There were only 4 other daycare kids there so it wasn't too crazy. The rest of the evening he said he needed to go back to her house to play, so cute!

I found it interesting that the dad's brought the kids to the party, I expected it to be all mom's.

24. Adira

@ALV91711: Yeah, I feel like he's doing really well!

So fun about the birthday party!! Xander was invited to one last winter, but we weren't able to go. Sounds like Isaac had a blast!

25. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

Thanks for the commiseration and support! I moved the whole bedtime routine up by about an hour and that seemed to help this weekend. It's just SO HARD getting him out the door in the morning. He's a slow moving guy and it's nearly impossible to convince him to use the potty...

@ALV91711: Glad he had a blast at the party!!

26. Adira

So we're making good progress with potty training! Only one accident all weekend and then ZERO accidents yesterday!! Yay!!

Also... if anyone is wondering... I was successful at cleaning dried poop off underwear... so I have tips if you want some...

27. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

@ALV91711: L is going to be Cookie Monster. He picked it and is excited about the costume, but we don't really watch much sesame street so it was a left field kind of choice. He's kind of obsessed with the idea of monsters though. So maybe that's why...

@QueensBee: I feel like we have the same child. He is so so difficult lately!

28. Smurfette

@QueensBee: As soon as R leaves her room in the morning, we make her go potty. She isn't allowed TV, milk, nothing until she sits on the potty. Sometimes she doesn't go, esp if she is awake for 30-45 mins before her clock turns green and can leave her room, but we try. Have you tried making him go first thing? R can drink a whole sippy of milk but then not need to go for over an hour still.
    Jealous you got bedtime moved up. We have been trying to put her to sleep earlier. She still won't go to sleep till after being in bed 1-1.5hrs. So she is barely getting 10 hours at night. I woke up at 630 today and she was already up and reading books in bed. So frustrating cause I know she is tired.
    @Adira: You have fun with that! The $1 for a pair of panties isn't worth it to me. But we haven't had any accidents lately. Glad that he is doing great!

29. Adira

@Smurfette: haha, yeah, I only had to clean one pair so far and it wasn't too bad. If there's more, it might not be worth it!

@travellingbee: @QueensBee: I feel you ladies. Xander's been so difficult lately too. Every little thing sets him off. And he never wants to go anywhere! It's a fight to get him in the car to go to daycare, and then it's a fight to get him in the car to go home!

30. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Smurfette: Some mornings, like today, he'll come running into the bathroom while I shower yelling, "I need the potty!" and he'll go first thing. Other mornings, he will do anything to fight and avoid the potty. Occasionally, he'll even start leaking a little bit of pee because he's holding it so badly. It can't be healthy and it drives me nuts! I've been encouraging him to go first thing- we talk about how mommy, daddy, and even our dog, Louie, go to the bathroom as soon as we all wake up. I made and laminated a little "Morning Routines" chart where he can put a sticker next to each part of his morning routine after he completes it (potty, breakfast, brush teeth, get dressed). But he is still so stubborn about it on some days, usually the ones when we all need to be somewhere important!

I spoke too soon about bedtime! Last night, he didn't fall asleep until 9:45pm! I was at a work event, and actually relieved that I wasn't the one home to deal with it. DH said they started bedtime at 7:45pm but he was just wired and took 2 hours to fall asleep. He was restless the whole night too, so I think something was off.

@Adira: Haha, I'm like you and wash out the undies! As long as I catch the poop quickly, it's easy enough to dump into the toilet, rinse the underwear, and then put them in an "extra soiled" laundry cycle! We're hoping to cloth diaper #2 so I figure this is good practice!

@travellingbee: I'm hoping they get out all the bad behavior now, before our January babies arrive. Wishful thinking, right?!

31. Smurfette

@QueensBee: when she poops at school and it sits in her cubby all day. No way! I just told day care to just throw them out. At home I will wash but when it sits all day, no way no how.
    I would try and just as soon as he comes in your room in the morning, to say, ok let's go potty. Don't give him a choice. R comes and wakes us up on the weekends, and I give her a hug and kiss and say ok potty time. It sucks cause sometimes I really have to go but she has to go first!
    At least you missed the bedtime struggle. I am so over it. At least she usually is fine by herself. I just hate she isn't getting the sleep she needs.

32. Adira

@QueensBee: @Smurfette: The poopy undies I cleaned had been from daycare and I washed them the next day, so definitely dried out! I mean, daycare had already scraped most of it out, but there were definitely still a couple... chunks... But I got them clean! So I'm proud of myself, haha.

I don't usually handle mornings, but on the weekend, the first thing we do is go potty after his nighttime diaper comes off. I go myself too and I think that helps. I just get him up, take his diaper off, and go "It's time to go potty!" and then I go to the bathroom and start going on the big toilet and Xander usually follows me and goes (or at least sits) on his potty chair. Of course, if you don't have a potty chair, that probably won't work!

33. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Smurfette: Omg I would definitely not clean underwear that had been sitting with poop for hours- yuck! Pete has only had one poop accident at school and they laundered the clothes there so I didn't have to deal with it, thank goodness!

@Adira: You are a real trooper for cleaning out the dried... chunks!

Pete is kind of weird about the morning pees. Sometimes the forcing works (believe me, I try!) and other times, it's better if I just try to chill out and pretend I don't care about it. A total power struggle and mindgame that I can't seem to win!

34. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

I made a potty chart tonight to start this weekend. Got some little toys from the dollar store for prizes for filling up a row. I'm hoping this will help with some consistent potty use.

@Smurfette: I don't blame you for throwing the undies out after sitting all day. @Adira: you are brave for cleaning them out. What was the trick? I'm going to have to ask tomorrow what they do.

Today Isaac wanted so badly to wear underwear so I convinced him to wear them over his diaper.

@QueensBee: Rough nights like that it is nice to not be home for the bedtime struggle. I hope that these struggles end before the baby is here.

35. Adira

@ALV91711: The trick was soaking them for a little bit! I put some Tide detergent in a toilet and just dropped the undies in there. 30 minutes later, I came back, held the undies, and flushed the toilet a few times. Then I put OxyClean stain remover on them and let them sit for a couple days until I did laundry - washed in HOT water and done!

Good luck with potty training this weekend!

36. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

Wow so many potty trained toddlers around here. B's not quite there as he doesn't like pooping on the toilet and we're still going with a hands-off approach. He's using the diaper and the potty both during the day so I am sure he'll get there.

Has any of your LOs also decided that naps are for babies and not for 2.5 year olds? B doesn't nap at home anymore. He still does at daycare with no issues and sleeps for 1.5-2h every day but we haven't gotten him to nap at home in 3 weeks or so. We were visiting with family last week and he wouldn't nap either. Often we took him out in his stroller and he would fall asleep in there or in the car but noway to get him to sleep in bed. Oh well, I guess I knew the day was coming but I sure hoped he'd nap a little longer. Oh and surprisingly he does pretty well on the weekends with no daytime sleep. It does mean an earlier bedtime which is nice!

37. Adira

@Pumuckl: We haven't dropped the nap yet, but he definitely fights it! He does NOT WANT TO NAP! But whenever he does, he always sleeps for 2 hours, so I feel like he still needs it! We skipped it once when we were out and about and he was totally fine though - just went to bed early. I'm not sure I'm ready to lose the nap though - it's my only break during the day on the weekends! Sort of... because there's the baby who doesn't nap at the same time...

38. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Pumuckl: The last 3ish weeks have been a struggle for weekend naps. He has no problems at daycare though. At home he will not nap in his bed but will sleep in the spare room or our bed. I'm not quite ready for naps to end.

@Adira: That's not too bad for cleaning. I'll keep it in mind. Underwear are not as cheep here, so I won't be able to just throw them out all the time.

39. Smurfette

@Pumuckl: It just depends on the day. Sat she went to sleep no issues and even slept 2.5 hrs. But then Sun it took her over and hour to fall asleep and slept just an hour. She usually does 60-90 mins total, even at school. She has skipped it on occasion, she will again on Sunday due to plans. Some times she is fine to skip it and other times she is a mess.

40. Adira

@ALV91711: Yeah, I had to order Xander's underwear on-line to get him Thomas underwear. Otherwise he wouldn't be excited to wear them!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee