Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: @Adira: I have cleaned out poo from undies way more often than I'd like to admit. He seems to have a thing for going in them... I just scrap everything out as best as I can and the washing machine does the rest. But then I guess undies aren't so different than cloth diapers which also come out clean from the washing machine so...

B fights the nap soooo hard we usually give up. I mean I don't want to spend 1h+ on the weekend getting him to sleep when he is fine and in exchange goes to bed at 7pm instead of 8:30pm.

2. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@Pumuckl: do you make him have quiet time in his room? That is our plan, fine if you don't want to nap, then you have quiet time in your room till we tell you to come out.

3. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Smurfette: no we don't. We've thought about it but it would just lead to whining. Usually my DH takes him on a grocery run and I "watch" the sleeping baby. Since he doesn't act up in the evenings etc. we're fine with him not sleeping/resting.

4. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Pumuckl: We're in a similar place. Pete naps for 1-2 hours at daycare and even with his nanny at home. But he just refuses to nap for us on the weekends or when we have family watching him. I've stopped stressing about it. If we're going on an outing, we try to schedule it for midday and he'll sleep for about 45 minutes in the car on the way home. Sometimes he's fine with no nap and other days he has late afternoon meltdowns. The bright side is that we no longer have to stay home and make plans around his naps and he gets an earlier bedtime on weekends. But it can be a long day, that's for sure!

Lol- He's been a little sensitive to the sound of the vacuum lately and asks me to turn it off. This weekend, after a day of no napping, I found myself saying to him, "I know the vacuum is loud for you. I try to do it when you're not around.... BUT YOU'RE ALWAYS AROUND!"

5. Smurfette

What's everyone thinking for Christmas gifts? We are thinking about getting her a dollhouse. We don't think she will play with it a ton right now but by summer she would. We aren't saving it for her bday cause her big girl room is going to be her gift. We are hopefully starting to finish the basement in January, so we will move her into the now guestroom/office.

6. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

I need to go over my Christmas ideas with Hubs, but here's what we're thinking:

From Santa: Thomas the Train wooden trains
    From us: Train tracks, Thomas puzzle, Hot Wheels track, a couple books, some clothes, and some stocking stuffers.

7. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

From us:
    Land of Nod Executive chair for his new room
    Tegu Magnetic Blocks
    http://www.amazon.com/Tegu-Original-Magnetic-Wooden-Natural/dp/B003UNRBPG

From Santa:
    stocking stuffers
    new puzzle

He gets so many gifts from friends and family that we're trying to keep our purchases to a minimum. I also want to do that 25 Books of Christmas activity, where we open a book each day in December. I think a few of you gave me that idea last year!

@Smurfette: Have you decided which doll house to buy yet? There are so many beautiful ones out there!

8. Smurfette

@Adira: @QueensBee: Last year we didn't say what was from Santa and what was from us. I guess maybe we need to do that this year. I grew up with everything just from Santa. Then we got one family gift, game, movies, etc.
    @QueensBee: we have a set of those blocks for at restaurants. She loves them! I give it as gifts all the time.
    maybe this one
    http://www.amazon.com/KidKraft-Chelsea-Doll-Cottage-Furniture/dp/B003ADVR3S/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0V8AJW7QTQ6CW4EWRGZA

9. Adira

@QueensBee: Those magnetic blocks look awesome!!

@Smurfette: That doll house looks AWESOME!! I want it for ME, haha. We decided last minute that the table/chair set we got Xander last year would be from Santa and to both kids. We only did that in case our niece/nephew asked about it. We didn't want to have to explain to anyone that Santa didn't show up to our house!

10. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Smurfette: So happy to hear R likes her Tegu blocks! They are a bit pricey but I'm hoping they'll provide a few years of entertainment.

Love that dollhouse! So many cute little details!!! I think she may take to it right away! We'll see!

11. Adira

I'm so proud of Xander! He let me cut his hair during his bath tonight with zero fuss! He just kept saying, "Don't cut my ear, Mama." Guess he was nervous about my scissors weilding skills.

12. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Adira: That is so cute! And a valid concern!

13. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Today was the first day of no nap. He just wouldn't settle down and go to sleep, so after 45 min of rolling around I let him get up. He did pretty good and was sound asleep at 7pm. I hope this doesn't mean an early wake up.

@Smurfette: I haven't thought of what to get for Christmas yet. That dollhouse looks awesome!

@QueensBee: Those blocks look good. They would probably last a long time.

@Adira: Have you ever cut his ear? So cute that he was concerned and great he let you cut his hair.

14. Smurfette

So now we are thinking no dollhouse. The more I think about it, I just don't want to spend close to $100 on something I am not confident she will play with a lot. But now I have no clue what to get her.

15. Adira

@ALV91711: haha, I definitely have NOT cut his ear before!! Though now that I think about it, maybe I've warned him about it. Like "If you don't stop wiggling, I might cut your ear!" Ugh, I'm not ready for no nap, although Xander probably wouldn't mind skipping it. Hope he didn't wake up early for you.

@Smurfette: What about a table and chair set? Or does she already have something like that? This year, we're just getting Xander lots of little things - train tracks, Thomas toys, puzzles, books, clothes, etc.

16. Smurfette

@Adira: She got one for her bday from my parents. We got a roll of stickers and Magic Clips (little princesses) already. Maybe it will just be all little stuff this year. I thought about a train table but really I just don't want another big item like that in the playroom. I don't think she would play with a ton either. She can play with the one at gymnastics before lessons start

17. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

@QueensBee: They have those Tegu blocks on groupon goods for a big discount! He has a small set that he loves and we are expanding his set for Christmas too.

ETA: Ugh I just went to look for the link and it looks like they ended the sale today. I just bought them last night!! They only had a small set still for sale.

18. Adira

@Smurfette: Yeah, I thought about a train table too, but I don't want something big either. He can use his regular table and put his trains on that or just put them on the floor like I did as a kid!

19. Smurfette

@Adira: well if you get a lot of tracks the table would be worth it. I just don't think she would play with it enough to justify the space. The kitchen is the only toy she plays with regularly. We have a small train track from Ikea that someone gave us and she plays with it for like 10 mins a time and then moves one. Then I am stuck with the track all over the floor.

20. Adira

@Smurfette: Yeah, it might be worth it. I'm not sure. He does love trains! And I could see him playing with them with Logan once Logan is older. I probably won't get it for him this year though.

21. travellingbee

@Adira: @Smurfette: Things I have thought of for Christmas:

An easel
    A basketball hoop and ball (for outside)
    Tegu magic blocks expansion set
    remote control car
    puzzles that are more like a jigsaw than just the chunky block kind

22. Smurfette

@travellingbee: She has an easel and never uses it. I thought that she would love I did tell family to get her jigsaw puzzles after I saw her do one in 3 mins at day care on Friday. But I should pick up a couple for her. Remote controlled car is a great idea. DH will love it too.

23. travellingbee

@Smurfette: bummer about the easel. Maybe she'll grow into it?

24. Smurfette

@travellingbee: that's what I am hoping. I also don't keep crayons/markers out, so maybe if I did that she would use it more.

25. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@travellingbee: Thanks for thinking of me! Let me know if you see them pop up on sale again. Our babysitter is a photographer/videographer by trade, and she just spent a week in Honduras filming the Tegu annual company outing there for a marketing campaign. After visiting the production site, she said that they are a great company with extremely sustainable, ethical, and responsible business practices, so that helps me feel better if I end up having to pay full price!

@Smurfette: Pete is a big fan of jigsaw puzzles. He is currently loving this one, which is two puzzles in one box (alphabet train and number train).
    http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Journey-Puzzle-Doubles-Giant/dp/B001EY72Y8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1444071893&sr=8-2&keywords=number+train+jigsaw+puzzle
    He is obsessed with counting right now and just loves the number train...

26. Adira

So I forgot to mention this earlier. I don't usually get up with Xander because Hubs does daycare drop off in the morning, but I got up with him on both Saturday and today and his overnight diaper was DRY!!!!!!

27. Smurfette

@QueensBee: Thanks! I think that she would like that one. Added to my cart.
    @Adira: Awesome! I don't understand, R will wake up dry when she drank more then usual. Then wakes up with a full diaper when she hardly drank and didn't eat dinner.

28. Adira

@Smurfette: haha, okay, so there's probably not rhyme or reason to it. Maybe eventually they'll just stay dry overnight regardless.

29. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: He slept until 6am, so 11 hours straight and had a 2 hour nap today.

@Smurfette: I don't think we are going to do one big thing. We are thinking lego set, night light, craft things, books and a few other things. I think one or two of the things will be from us and the rest from Santa. We are getting him bunk beds in the next few months, so no big ticket Christmas item. Plus they are still so young they don't realize about one big thing and he will be excited by lots of presents.

@Adira: A train table would be a good present next year for both the boys together.

@Smurfette: We keep crayons and pencil crayons out but not markers. He has drawn on other things than paper but is generally pretty good about only drawing on paper.

@QueensBee: That looks like a fun puzzle.

30. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Not this weekend since DH will be away, but the weekend after we are taking the side off Isaac's crib and trying out being in a bed. We are planning on bunk beds in the next few months but want to try out not being in a crib first. He is really hating going to bed, so hopefully this will help.

31. Adira

@ALV91711: Good idea to give a train table to the boys together next year! Good luck with the crib transition. We are thinking of doing that soon here, but I'm nervous it will make bedtime impossible if he can just get out of bed!

32. Adira

So we started Xander on a calcium supplement. I'm bummed we feel the need to do that, but he just doesn't drink enough hemp milk during the day and he's started refusing yogurt, so he's just not getting enough calcium.

33. Smurfette

@ALV91711: @Adira: It isn't that bad at all when you switch them. They learn fast they have to stay in bed.
    @Adira: Don't be bummed. We all take vitamins so it is just an extra one he needs. I take a calcium one and I still eat a lot of cheese.

34. Adira

@Smurfette: That's true - I also take a calcium supplement, so he's in good company, haha! I'm just worried that the reason he's so short is because of the lack of calcium... hopefully this will help!

35. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: We are super nervous too and that is why he is still in a crib!

It is after 8:30 and I just had cereal for dinner. Hubby is getting sick, Isaac is sick. Finally got Isaac to sleep in the spare bed after he threw up all over his room and me. I think it will be a long night.

36. Adira

@ALV91711: Yikes! I hope your night ended up not being too bad!

37. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: Not horrible. DH slept the first half the night in the spare room with him, then I went in around 4:30 for a couple hours. We are definitely staying home today. Isaac is laying across my lap on the couch and I'm not sure if he is awake or asleep.

38. Adira

@ALV91711: Poor little guy! I hope he feels better soon.

39. Smurfette

@ALV91711: hope he feels better!

40. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Adira: You're reminding me that i haven't taken my calcium supplement this week! Don't feel too badly- poor guy has a milk allergy. There's only so much you can you do! Calcium supplements are perfect for this.

@ALV91711: Hope it's a quick bug and that everyone is feeling better soon!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee