Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@QueensBee: That is so cute that he thought he saw Santa flying.

I'm kind of glad daycare is back to be open today and we can get back to our routines. As much as I love the holidays and the extra days off everyone is getting a bit antsy. It was nice though that I worked last week and DH stayed home with Isaac, I think it was some great bonding time for them.

2. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

So Xander is moving on to Preschool... how is he old enough for that already????

3. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@Adira: they are getting so big!

Anyone else thinking about bday party yet? I think we are going to do a friend party this year. She is already talking about her birthday. Tells me all the time when it is. I don't think she realizes it is 2 months away. But it very excited for a class mates party next weekend. We are going to have it at her gymnastics place. It like $200 for a set amount of kids, which I don't think is bad at all. I will bring in a couple decorations, get some cupcakes, and favors, done. Then will do a family party at home on Sunday. But I won't decorate for that as much since she will have two parties this year. But I found a bunch of cute decorations at Target in the dollar spot, so at least all that is bought now. At that price I figure I couldn't make it for cheap. No theme just fun colors.

4. Adira

@Smurfette: I haven't really been thinking about a party yet... I was originally thinking just family like last year, but we were invited to a daycare friend's party this month, so now I'm wondering if I should do a friends' party instead? And if I do friends, should I have it somewhere fun since we can't go outside?? There's an inflatable playground place near us that does parties, which would be fun... but I'm not sure how expensive it would be.

5. Smurfette

@Adira: Given the time of the year, I don't want to have a party for friends at home. While it has been great weather on her birthday parties the last couple years, I know the one time I plan on it, it won't be. Till we get our basement done, we don't have the indoor space for all the kids. Not to mention, I don't know how I would entertain them.
    Can you look at where he does gymnastics? Or does day care have extracurricular activities places that come in? Our has a place called Playball and they have their own building so they can do parties and classes for kids outside of day cares. I would start looking now. I was told I probably need to book her party this month so I get the date and time that I want cause it fills up fast.

6. Adira

@Smurfette: He does gymnastics at the Y, so I don't think they host parties. And OMG, you are freaking me out that I need to look into booking places now! Ahhhh! I'll have to talk to Hubs about it tonight.

Briefly looking at it, the inflatable playground place is $50 + admission, but that's only for 20 people. I wonder if I can just double it and pay $100 + admission for 40 people? I guess I'll have to call them and ask.

ETA: Nevermind, their website specifically says you can only do the $50/20 people. If you want more, you have to book a private party which is $310. Ugh.

7. Smurfette

@Adira: Don't freak out! The party we are going to next weekend, just booked it right before Christmas. I think her gymnastics place is harder cause they only have so many times to do the parties cause they have regular lessons on Saturdays as well, so they can only do them late afternoon.
    40 people! Don't you only have to pay for the kids? $50 party fee is cheap! Does it give you a room for cake time?

8. Adira

@Smurfette: Well, I was thinking of still inviting family because I know our nieces and nephews would enjoy the playground too, but maybe I should just limit it to friends? Are you doing a family party and a friends party? Or just friends? I feel like our family would be bummed if we didn't include them somewhere... so I was thinking of just doing both at the party? So that's why it would be so many people...

9. Smurfette

@Adira: Oh if you do both that makes sense. But it seems weird at a kid's jumping place you have to pay for adults. I don't think we have paid to get in when we have taken R. But we haven't been in so long, I could be wrong.
    We are going to do separate parties. The gymnastics has a kid limit, or you have to pay another fee per kid to add more. We have 30-40 (adults and kids) just with family alone, but most of the kids are older, so I don't think it would be a good mix with her friends and the gymnastics. They prefer the kids around the same age since the skill level is about the same. Plus I think the adults would be bored and my family wants beer at parties. So friend party on Sat and then Sun will be the family party at home. Will do it around 1, so no nap, but just order pizza or do a taco bar. Something easy and semi cheap.

10. Smurfette

@Adira: Just saw your nevermind. I would do a private party, that way the kids play and then you get a room for cake and the room will store the gifts.
    CFA does parties as well. Do you have one near you?

11. Adira

@Smurfette: Hmm... maybe I could do a friends party and then family party. We only have two niece/nephews, so they'd miss out, but oh well. Then I could do the $50+attendance (and yes, we only have to pay for the kids). Though doing the private party would be fun - you can a private little gym area to play in, plus the room. But $310 is probably too expensive for us... maybe I'll do that when they are a little older and both can enjoy it and do a combo party.

12. Smurfette

@Adira: how would that work with cake and gifts? but yeah I agree your niece/nephew would be fine to skip out. Maybe just get a fun craft thing to do at the family party, if you decide to do the friend party.

13. Adira

@Smurfette: No idea. Maybe we would do cake and gifts first at our reserved table and then we could put them in the car and go play?

14. Smurfette

@Adira: oh you at least get a reserved table. Then that would work for sure! Or you could always bring the grandparents and they can sit with the gifts and cake while the kids play, till it is time.

15. Adira

@Smurfette: Yeah, I'll have to look into it more. The $50 gets you two reserved tables and you can have 8-10 kids and 20 people total. My problem is I want to invite too many people, haha. I want to invite his best friend, but that's a family of four (2 kids, 2 adults), and then his friends from his class (4 kids, but some have siblings, so that might be 14-16 more people), and then with our family (4), we're already over the limit! Unless only one adult comes, but I'm assuming both will.

16. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

I'm planning DD's party but the play places are already booking up. The biggest one around here just closed and we're in CA so there aren't that many indoor options. The earliest I can get the place I want is two weeks after her birthday. I don't want to invite everyone from daycare to our house and I'm also scared it will rain. I'm thinking of having a party for her friends at a play place and a princess party for family friends at home but I might be nuts.

This morning when I asked DD what she's doing at daycare today she told me she's getting married. They grow up so fast, don't they? She told me the boy she's going to marry pushes her a lot. I told her that he might not be ready for commitment yet. She told me she would find another boy. I think I'm in trouble.

17. Adira

@Corduroy: OMG, that conversation you had with your daughter about who she's marrying has me dying over here!!! These kids are hysterical!

18. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

I think we are going to do three small "events" for the birthday this year. We are going to host a friends party and invite his 4 best friends, who are all from our neighborhood. It will basically feel like a glorified afternoon playdate with cake and some decorations. Then, we're planning to take a trip to FL to get some warmth and visit the grandparents at the end of March. So we'll probably do a little cake celebration there too. And, my folks live locally so I'm sure they'll want to take him out to a fun dinner at a local diner or pizza parlor.

Last year, we had a big party with about 40 people and he was totally overwhelmed. He spent most of the party in his aunt's lap and cried when everyone sang Happy Birthday. He acted the same way at a recent birthday party we attended in November. That experience, plus the fact that we'll have a 2 month old at home, makes me want to avoid the big bash this year! I hoping we can plan a big activity party at a fun location next year though!

@Corduroy: She's so sassy! The conversations at this age are hilarious!

19. Smurfette

@Corduroy: that is hilarious!
    @QueensBee: 3 parties are better then 1! How are you? Arne you due soon?

20. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Smurfette: I'm doing okay, thanks! Due on Sunday, scheduled for a c-section on Monday. So, there's a chance she could be born at any moment but definitely by Monday! Mostly excited but slightly freaking out.

21. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@QueensBee: Getting so close! Hang in there mama.

So I talked to DCP today about DD's plans to 'marry'. It sounds like she has a boyfriend! DCP said they sit together and hold hands. She has to remind them all the time to keep their hands to themselves which includes holding hands. They also tell each other they are best friends repeatedly like they are sweet talking. She's not even 3! I'm not really worried about it, especially now that I know daycare isn't encouraging it, but it seems so soon.

22. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Corduroy: So cute! Isaac and one girl always hug at the end of the day, blow kisses and say I love you. Breaks my heart a little that they are growing up so much.

@QueensBee: Enjoy these last few days. I hope you have a smooth delivery however it happens.

@Smurfette: We are going to do a party with friends. I'm thinking a couple hours at our house with snacks and cake. Isaac already told me he wants a white cake like last time.

Since we don't have family here it will just be one party. But my mom us flying out and bringing my niece who will be 2 in April. Isaac is going to be so excited. My sister can't come since she is due at the end if Feb with #2.

@Adira: We've only gone to one party of a daycare friend and only one parent came for each kid and none of the siblings came. Picking a venue is hard, that is why in doing it at home. Plus I don't want to spend tonnes of money when he's this young.

23. Adira

@Corduroy: haha, that's funny. The best friend talk is normal, I think. Xander tells me all the time about his best friends!

@ALV91711: Yeah, I'm actually leaning more towards having it at home to save money. Maybe as a family, the four of us can just go to the inflatable playground for his birthday, but then have his party at home. I don't really have $$$ to throw a nice party somewhere.

24. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: I'm taking his birthday off so I figured that day we will do something fun and special with his cousin. Going and doing the inflatable park as a family would be fun. I just wish we had better weather here in March so we could have the party outside, but that will never happen.

25. Adira

@ALV91711: Yeah, same here with regards to the weather. We'll have two feet of snow and it'll be miserable. We'll be lucky if it doesn't snow the day of his party!

ETA: Actually, that's another good reason not to book a venue... I'd hate to shill out some $$$ on a place and then have a blizzard occur and no one come!

26. Smurfette

@Corduroy: Well R isn't even 3 yet and has already "broken" up with a boy. She told boy A isn't her boyfriend anymore, boy B is. oh Lord!

@QueensBee: So exciting! Soak up last minute with just P this weekend. Good luck. Can't wait to meet your little lady.

@ALV91711: Sounds fun! That's great your Mom is going to bring your niece.

27. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

Thanks for all the well wishes! Grace Evelyn was born 1/8/16 at 2:30pm! Yesterday was a little rough but we are both feeling much better today. And we can't wait for big bro and baby sis to meet!

28. Smurfette

@QueensBee: Congrats! Love her name!

29. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@QueensBee: Congrats!

30. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@QueensBee: Congrats! What a beautiful name. I hope the meeting goes great.

31. Adira

@QueensBee: Congratulations!!! I love her name!!!

32. Adira

So Xander passed his Baked Milk Challenge!

33. Smurfette

@Adira: That is great news! Bring on the cookies!

We booked the gymnastics place! They only had one spot left for that day too. Crazy.

34. Adira

@Smurfette: Yay cookies! Except he still can't have chocolate chip cookies unless they use non-dairy chocolate chips. The new restrictions are even more complicated than just not having dairy at all!

35. Smurfette

@Adira: R won't eat CC cookies. She only likes sugar, weirdo.

36. Adira

@Smurfette: haha, that's funny. Xander doesn't like sugar cookies! He only likes chocolate chip (we make them with dairy-free chips). Kids are funny.

37. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: So awesome. I hope this means one day the allergy goes away. Why do chocolate chips have to be dairy free?

So we decided tonight to do a Lego theme party. We are hopefully getting Isaac a Lego table for his present.

@Smurfette: How many kids are you inviting?

38. Adira

@ALV91711: I'm not sure the process involved in making milk chocolate, but I guess it doesn't cook the milk thoroughly enough. And baked chocolate chip cookies only melt the chocolate, which isn't enough to reduce the allergen.

39. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: That makes sense.

40. Smurfette

@ALV91711: Right now we have 10 on the list plus her. I am sure I will add a couple more incase some can't come. We get 10 plus her included in the price and then after that it is $10 a head.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee