1. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Adira: sounds great! Glad you all had fun

2. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@Smurfette: @Pumuckl: Thanks!

3. Mrs. Blue

blogger / pomelo / 5361 posts

@Adira: Sounds like it went great! I can't quite decide how I feel about taking our kids on a cruise while they're little v. waiting until they're quite a bit older. I always feel like beach or mountain vacations are the easiest with toddlers and preschoolers. I think because we went on a cruise with adults only, I just can't imagine it with kids. What cruise line did you guys sail? Did you use the kids' program at all?

4. Mrs. Blue

I just got back from the boys Pre-K Parents Meeting. They got into that school I referenced a while back on the thread. It's a magnet program for our local school district (pre-K through first grade) so we won't have to pay anything other than for the extended-care program. I'm so excited for them to start because it's a really neat place and I think they will learn so much more and have more fun than at their current half-day 3 yr old pre-k/daycare, which hasn't been awesome, but it felt a little weird that they'll be starting at a "real" school. I know next year is still just pre-k, but it's all day with certified teachers and real curriculum and rules and everything, and it just seems crazy that they're old enough.

5. Adira

@Mrs. Blue: So we sailed Royal Caribbean, only because we were going with friends and they had already booked them. I think if we do it again, we might try Disney. We didn't use any of their kids' programs though because it was only for 3+, and I didn't think Xander would want to do it without Logan and Logan was too young. My friend has an 8 year old and she did a BUNCH of the kids' programs, which was great for her (the 8 year old) and my friend because she got a ton of kid-free time, whereas we didn't really get any.

But it was still a ton of fun! It was fun cruising with our friends and the kids seemed to have fun going to different beaches, playing in the splash pad on the boat, and just running around taking in the sights. It wasn't exactly relaxing for us adults, but it was still a lot of fun and I hope I can convince Hubs to do it again.

6. Adira

@Mrs. Blue: That's awesome they got into the program you wanted! But it's crazy to think of these kids in a "real" school!!! They still feel so young to me!!! Xander starts pre-K in the fall, I believe, but it's just going to be at our daycare, so for us, nothing will really have changed. I'm not ready for real school!!!

7. Mrs. Blue

@Adira: Yeah, Disney would be nice since younger kids can participate in the kid programs, but it's just sooo expensive! I keep looking at it and then thinking about how many regular cruises or beach vacations we could take for the same price! Everyone I know that has done a Disney cruise seems to think it's worth it, though. We cruised on Royal Caribbean last summer and the kids splash pad area looked so fun. I think my boys would all spend a lot of time there.

8. Adira

@Mrs. Blue: Yeah, the splash pad was fun on our cruise! Xander really liked it, but Logan seemed nervous about the jets. He wanted to go into one of the pools that was only about 6 inches deep, but he wasn't allowed to with a swim diaper, which was a bummer. If we had waited one more year, it might've been better!

9. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: Sounds like it was fun and manageable. Glad you all had a good time!

@Mrs. Blue: That is so awesome that they got in. Sounds like it will be a good program. Hard to believe they are big enough for real school.

We've been thinking of what schools we want to look into and tour for kindergarten. But we don't have to do that until next Feb/March for kindergarten in fall 2018. We are leaning to either a private or christian school over the public school district. But we will see what we find is the best fit.

10. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Mrs. Blue: @ALV91711: We've been thinking about schools too. We really like the private school that is run by our kids current daycare provider but that also means we'll have 4 tuitions/daycare payments for an additional 4 years. That is quite the cost factor and frankly quite terrifying. The other option would be the public elementary school but that would leave us with having to pay for aftercare. So not sure what we'll do yet.

11. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

@Mrs. Blue: Yay that they got in! L starts at pre-K at the regular elementary school in the fall too. It feels so weird that he will be in a school with all these big kids. He will also take the bus after school over to daycare for afterschool care. Freaking me out!

12. Mrs. Blue

@travellingbee: Right?!?! Several of our friends' kids have gone to this school, and when they started Pre-K, the parents all had the first day of school pics and sob stories about how they couldn't believe they were starting school, etc. I remember thinking, "C'mon, it's just pre-k." But now I'm eating my words because it really does feel like they're going to "real" school for the first time. And those first graders look GIANT.

13. Mrs. Blue

@Pumuckl: Yeah, four adds up! I'll be the first to admit that one of the huge perks of this school is it saves us a year of having four in daycare.

14. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@travellingbee: @Mrs. Blue: I went to the elementary school a couple weeks ago to vote and watching all the kids get dropped off made me so sad. She is going to pre-k at day care but still I can't imagine in less then a year and half I will just have to drop her off and she walks into school for K by herself. Like I got tears about it.

15. Mrs. Blue

@Smurfette: Same. That's why I'm freaking out a little bit about the timing of this kiddo's arrival (due date is Aug. 15). I know in my head that if someone else has to take them to the meet the teacher night (Aug. 11) or the first day of school (Aug. 16), that it will be fine, but my heart says I HAVE to be there for all the stuff!

16. Smurfette

@Mrs. Blue: oh gosh. I would be balling if I missed it. Let's hope baby girl comes a week or so early!

17. Mrs. Blue

@Smurfette: I'll have a c-section, so as long as she follows her brothers' leads and I don't go into labor on my own & my OB's schedule works for this, I'm hoping to be able to schedule it right in between the meet the teacher and first day of school, so I'll be out before their first day. Fingers crossed! Or she could do her mama a favor and just come at like 38 weeks, but considering my cervix is the bodily equivalent of Alcatraz, I doubt she's going to make an early appearance.

18. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Pumuckl: 4 fees is quite a bit. Hopefully you can find somewhere that you and the kids will be happy with without breaking the bank.

No matter which we choose we will need out of school care not only for before/after school but for summer break/spring break etc. If it wasn't for that we could probably swing the school year without any extra care. So looking at private schools could add too much of a cost.

@travellingbee: That is crazy that he will be going on the bus, that is so grown up!

@Mrs. Blue: I hope you are able to schedule your c-section so you don't have to miss the boys firsts.

19. Mrs. Blue

@ALV91711: thanks! I have to schedule it for the 8th, so I'll only miss the Meet the Teacher thing. I can live with that!

20. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Mrs. Blue: That is good. I'd rather miss meet the teacher than the first day. How are you feeling with this pregnancy?

21. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

How is everyone doing?

I'm excited that summer is here along with good weather. Isaac is looking forward to the summer months for daycare field trips and fun activities.

Last week we had our summer vacation. I took the week off and my sister came out with her two girls. It was a crazy, fun and tiring week. Her two are 3 and 16 months.

Isaac and his cousin look a lot alike and are pretty much the same size and I got asked if they were twins when we were at the zoo!

What are everyone's summer plans?

22. Adira

@ALV91711: How'd Issac like the zoo?

We have a few trips planned for the summer. Last weekend we went to a kids' amusement park with a couple of our friends and their kid. That was sooooo much fun! Xander's into roller coasters now, so he had a blast! Next weekend we have a long trip to Maine to visit my in-laws. I'm not looking to the four hour drive... Xander's limit seems to be an hour in the car, so the trip is probably going to have to include multiple stops and some breakdowns.

We also signed up the kids for swimming lessons. They're in the same class now, which is cool.

23. Smurfette

Things with us are good. She got a fish last weekend and it is adorable to see her hug and kiss the tank every night. She remembers to feed it twice a day too. She is in the summer camp program at day care and loving it. They get to go on field trips and she thinks the school bus is the coolest thing. I need to order uniforms for Pre-k. Which I think is so stupid since it is the same day care but I guess now she can't fight me on what to wear. No summer plans for us. I started a new job so I have no vacation time now. We are going to try and just do a lot around town. She starts swim lessons on the 8th. So Sat mornings will be gymnastics and swim. At least the baby is easy going and will sleep on the go.

24. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: Isaac loves the zoo. He's been a few times now. I'm sure we will go again this summer.

Swimming lessons will be fun, we haven't done that yet. Hopefully your drive goes good. I'm kind of happy we are sticking close to home this summer and not having to do any long road trips.

@Smurfette: She is going to sleep good on Saturdays. Seems young for uniforms, but I love the idea of them. Will definitely make things easier. Did she have to earn getting a fish?

25. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@ALV91711: Sounds like a fun week! I bet the kids had a blast!

@Adira: Xander is brave! Pete will barely tolerate a carousel. I'm not sure how he would do on a real rollercoaster.

Do you ever give Xander an ipad in the car? We reserve ipad time only for long road trips or flights, and Pete loves it. He wears headphones and could drive for days without complaining as long as his ipad is working!

@Smurfette: Congrats on the new job! I hope you post pics of R in her uniform next year. She will look so grown up!

We had a bit of a scare this weekend. Pete was running around at a friend's house on Sunday night. He fell on some stone stairs and got a big cut above his eyebrow. It was really deep and I thought I could see bone. I totally freaked out and called 911/ambulance. In the end, he needed to spend about 5 hours in the ER and get 20 stitches with a plastic surgeon, but the ambulance ride was probably an overreaction. He cried a lot but overall was a champ. The surgeon was super sweet and gentle with him. And he's been showered with cards, balloons, and treats from his pals, so I think he's rather pleased about the whole thing now!

Unfortunately, he has to stay home from camp this week and isn't allowed to swim for two weeks. Once we get past these stitches, he'll be at camp from 9-12 most mornings, and we hope to spend afternoons at the pool.

We're spending three weeks at my parent's place in Vermont while we undergo a kitchen renovation at home. I wouldn't call it a "vacation" exactly (we'll be squished in a two bedroom condo with 6 people) but it's a free place to stay with running water while demolition goes on!

26. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@QueensBee: Ouch, I'm glad he's ok.

Z has been in swim lessons for a few weeks now. I've mastered keeping my just turned 2yo occupied with books and bubbles for the 30 minutes. Her lessons end Thurs and then I hope to get to the pool for free swim a couple times a week after work. It's so hard with two kids. I'm not sure if I'll be able to figure that out by myself.

We made plans today to visit my in laws in August. DH's family is having a campout for the eclipse. It will be nice to see everyone and cool to be in the path of the eclipse. We haven't been camping since we had kids and we'll be flying halfway across the country to do it. I'm sure we'll figure it out but I only see to-do lists when I think about the trip.

27. Adira

@QueensBee: We actually bought our tablets specifically for the long car rides and then I haven't given them to him in the car! You can be sure I'll be giving it to him this weekend when we have a four hour drive ahead of us! Hopefully it helps!!

Yikes!! Sorry to hear about Pete's injury!! Xander banged heads with another kid a couple years ago and had a similar injury, though not quite as bad as Pete's. He got liquid stitches and couldn't go swimming for a week. Poor Pete! Hope he's feeling okay now.

28. travellingbee

@Adira: I bet he'll do great on the drive. We do 3-5 hour trips fairly frequently with the boys and it's easy. We let L watch movies on the iPad or our portable DVD player and little L just sleeps. He's a great car napper.
    @QueensBee: oh wow! That sounds like a really nasty injury! I'm sorry!
    We took a week long trip to NM a few weeks ago and it was meh. Everyone was sick with a stomach bug so that certainly put a damper on things. No other big plans except a long weekend to see friends in July. L is in daycare 3 days a week (for my sanity but also for me to tutor and do professional development) and in Tuesday and Thursday we have "mommy field trips". We've done the pool, splash pads, children's museum, indoor play place, and the movies. It's been fun.

29. Smurfette

@ALV91711: Yes. She got a sticker for every night going to bed easily and staying in her bed all night. She now is working towards a new book.
    @QueensBee: Oh that is so scary. I am so glad that he is ok.
    @Adira: 4 hours isn't that bad. We haven't had issues with R and a drive that long. Just snacks, toys, and screen time and she is fine.

30. Smurfette

And the fish died. Of course when DH is gone.

31. travellingbee

@Smurfette: oh no!

32. Adira

@Smurfette: Oh no!!

33. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@QueensBee: Poor guy and what a scare for you. Hope that he is feeling good.

@Corduroy: The campout sounds like fun. Hopefully it won't be too much work and you'll get to enjoy the family time.

@travellingbee: Mommy field trips sound like a lot of fun. Good idea to get out and see/do different things.

@Smurfette: That is crappy. How did R handle it?

We just got the daycare summer schedule yesterday. They have lots of fun activities planned and every Wednesday is a field trip. This year they are going to either splash parks or a bigger park somewhere in the city. Isaac was a little disappointed that there was no trip to the zoo like last summer. The only thing I don't look forward to is every Wednesday when they go on a field trip we have to send a lunch.

34. Adira

Hope everyone had a fun 4th of July!

35. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: Canada Day for us and we had a lot of fun. Did you have a good 4th?

Last night we were outside and Isaac says look at me. I turn just in time to see him throwing a small metal garden shovel above his head. It hit him but luckily only a small cut that only bled a bit.

@Smurfette: I've been thinking about you this week. DH has been away for a week and gets back tomorrow. I don't know how you do so much solo parenting. I'm exhausted! I've barely accomplished anything this week.

36. Adira

@ALV91711: It wasn't terrible. We drive the 4 hour drive to see my in-laws and then hardly saw them, so the drive sucked and the whole trip seemed pointless, but our family had fun together.

OMG! Poor Isaac! Kids have to be more careful!

37. Smurfette

@ALV91711: Oh I'm so glad he was ok. These kids get into everything.
    Ha! I guess I am just used to it now. I will say I broke down in tears A LOT while on maternity leave when I was solo with both. But it is much better now!

38. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: Oh wow, glad Isaac is okay! These kids sometimes really do have sucidial tendencies.

@Adira: Glad your 4th of July went well and at least you had fun.

@Smurfette: Glad to read you've got into a groove when you are alone with the kids. Same thing here, while I most definitely don't enjoy being alone with all 4 (especially if it's for more than 2 or 3 days) we manage and somethings are actually easier (like not having to wait to cook dinner etc).

Is anybody's elses kid soooo much into puzzles currently? B loves puzzles right now and can easily finish puzzles with more than 60 pieces by himself (I'll have to get him a 100 piece one so he can try that).

39. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: How did the boys do on the drive?

@Smurfette: Glad it has gotten better. I'm sure it will get easier as they get older.

@Pumuckl: I couldn't imagine 4 so young for multiple days. Isaac loves puzzles. He has a few 50 piece ones that he is getting good at. He usually prefers to have help though.

Sleep has been an issue here the last couple weeks again. Isaac has been awake super late, like 10pm or later some nights. At least he is pretty good at staying quietly in bed. This weekend I didn't let him nap and he was in bed by 7:30 and asleep almost right away, sleeping for almost 12 hours. Today I asked his teacher how much he is napping and told her about him not going to skeep. She said he barely naps, mostly just lays quietly and if he does sleep it's not for more than an hour. She figures it is because dad was away. I hope that she is right and he goes back to going to bed. I'm tired from being awake so late every night b

40. Adira

@ALV91711: Ummmm.... it wasn't horrible?? The 4 hour drive took us 6.5 hours because we had to stop multiple times (once for lunch). Anytime we'd been in the car longer than an hour, Xander started whining or full-out crying. He did have his tablet and was watching shows, so I don't know what the issue was. Our drive back was slightly better - we left at bedtime and they both fell asleep, but Xander woke up about an hour 15 minutes into the drive and just started crying uncontrollably and then Logan woke up crying and then they were both crying non-stop for 20 minutes until I finally found a place to pull over. I think they were too hot. So after that, we blasted the A/C until Hubs and I were freezing, and they both ended up falling back asleep and the rest of the drive home was fine (except cold).

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee