Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@ALV91711: That's awesome!

Well, hot dogs were a bust last night. Xander was NOT happy I wasted his time even giving them to him! I'll try again tonight, but I think he only likes sausage!

2. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@ALV91711: I love how your daycare teacher gives you such specific and positive feedback! It must have made your day to hear about his sweet manners!

Ladies, Pete is still in his crib! He's not completely asleep because I can hear him rolling around and talking to himself, but total 180 from yesterday morning. I think it's because he can find his pacifier. That damn thing. Now I'm left wondering if we keep him in the travel crib forever (seems ridiculous), buy bumpers for his real crib to contain the paci (is that safe at this age?), or wean off paci at night (I'm terrified of this). For now, I'm just thankful that we all got a good night of sleep!

Hope everyone else had a decent night of rest and enjoys the day!

3. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Corduroy: How is Z feeling now that it's been a few days? Any more fever spikes?

4. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Adira: I'm so surprised because they are quite similar to sausages! Have you tried a bit of bacon? Pete lovvvves bacon.

5. Adira

@QueensBee: Wow!!! I can't believe how well the travel crib worked!!! You could always get mesh bumpers for his regular crib - that might work! Or wean from the pacifier, but then I think you'll have a few nights (or longer??) or torture. Not sure though!

I suspect the issue with the hotdog was partly the flavor. The sausage we give him is maple flavored, so very sweet. I don't think the hot dog tasted as sweet to him. Plus the texture is a little different. And I haven't tried bacon yet, but I should!

6. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@Adira: Keep offering other things, that is all you can do. What if you go to a restaurant, will he eat then? Have you tried other sausage?
    @QueensBee: Too funny! I would get bumpers and see if that helps. At this point I think he will be fine. But use the travel crib till you get the bumpers. Unless you are ready to be done with the pacifer. Going to have go down that road at some point, might be easier while you are home and don't have to work the next day. I personally think by 2 they should be weaned anyway.
    R is back to waking at 6, so not fun. This is after not going to bed till 745-800, so she is not getting enough sleep.

7. Adira

@Smurfette: Hmm... haven't tried going out to a restaurant since he started eating finger foods. So I'm not sure! I've tried different sausage at home, but he refuses to eat it. He's had sausage at daycare though that he eats and I'm pretty sure it's different than the one I serve, but maybe it still has that maple flavor. I'm not sure! I'll keep trying!

Ugh, sorry to hear about R waking up early again after going to bed late!!! She just doesn't know what's good for her! R, you need SLEEP!!!

8. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: I'm sure he'll come around to hot dogs.

@QueensBee: Glad he had a good sleep. I'd try bumpers in the crib to see if that helps.

Today I was told Isaac was lonely since his best bud wasn't there. Crazy since there are other kids. So after most of the kids in his room left they brought over one of his toddler friends to play.

@Smurfette: I hope this is short lived and she starts sleeping longer again.

9. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Smurfette: Oh no, how was her sleep last night? I hate the feeling of sending them to daycare when they haven't had enough sleep. And yet it's totally out of your control!

@ALV91711: Sounds like Isaac has some real friendships forming! I don't think Pete prefers any one child as a playmate yet, he kind of just parallel plays with whoever is around.

Pete slept great in his travel crib again. I will probably try the bumpers although I hate to spend money on them.
    @Smurfette: I agree, I really want him weaned sooner rather than later. We were going to try this summer but now I'm chickening out! Perhaps my next break, around Christmas. Definitely by 2! I can't stand that he has gross plastic in his mouth all day long!

I took Pete on the commuter train yesterday for the first time, so we could visit DH at his office. He was little squirmy and fussy on the ride in, but luckily I happened to sit next to a retired Kindergarten teacher who has a 3 year old grandson. She did such an amazing job helping me entertain and wrangle him for the 45 minute trip! Once we were in the city, Pete was completely mesmerized by the crowds, buses, and trucks. He kept pointing to some of the city's more interesting characters. He ran around DH's office for about 20 minutes and then DH took him back on the train home so I could meet friends for dinner. I think the trip was sensory overload for Pete because DH said he was totally exhausted on the train ride home and fell asleep as soon as they got home.

10. Smurfette

@QueensBee: She fell asleep around 745 and woke up at 650. So much better. I want her to get 11 hours at least. Hopefully she has a good nap today.

What time does every one's LO wake up from their last nap and then go to bed? R naps till 2-230 at school, and 230-300 at home. Then doesn't go to sleep till 745-800 lately. We put her in the crib 7-715, depending on how late her nap is. I wonder if we need to just start keeping her up later. Maybe start doing family dinners and push her dinner time back.

11. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

Right now, Pete wakes from his nap between 2-3pm, and then is ready for bed between 7-8pm. They sound like they are on a similar schedule! Sometimes we do a dinner at 5pm and other days I give him a snack at 5 and then dinner around 6pm. DH doesn't get home until 7:15pm at the earliest, so we never have family dinner on weeknights. It makes me sad!

12. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@QueensBee: That is so awesome that he slept good again in his travel crib. I hope he keeps it up.

@Smurfette: At daycare he has been napping 11:30 - 1:45. He goes to bed about 6:30. At home he naps a bit earlier and goes to bed at the same time. He is up for the day between 5-5:30.

13. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

@Smurfette: L wakes up about 2:00- 2:30 from his nap and we put him down at 830 but he often is awake until close to 9:00 in his crib. He wakes for the day at 8:00am.

ETA We do a family dinner at 6ish.

14. Mrs. High Heels

blogger / eggplant / 11551 posts

@Smurfette: J is on one nap, and his nap usually ends somewhere between 2:30-3 pm, and we put him down around 7-7:30 pm. If R can handle the later bedtime, it sounds like a good plan to do family dinners together and hangout a little longer! Maybe it'll help her sleep in?

Hasn't worked for J though - regardless if we put him down at 7 or 8 or even 9 at times, he still wakes up like clockwork at 6:30 am. This morning he was up at 5:30 am! Why why why...

15. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Smurfette: We have been having a horrible time with night wakings lately. We moved H's bedtime from 6:30 until 7 and she has been sleeping through the last 4 nights. I try to end her nap at 2 so she is up for 5 hours between nap and bed time.

16. Adira

@QueensBee: Could you just partially wean off the pacifier? Maybe only let him have it at naps and bedtime? Then hopefully he'll still sleep okay but won't have it all the time?

The day in the city sounds so much fun!! Glad you had some help on the ride and he enjoyed seeing all the sights! Hopefully that means he slept amazing too!

@Smurfette: At daycare, Xander's naps are all over the place. Anywhere from 10:00 - 12:00 and 12:00 - 2:00 (although almost never actually two hours). Regardless of his nap at daycare, he usually goes to bed around 6:00 unless he miraculously takes a second nap and wakes after 3:00. At home, he usually takes two naps and his last one, he wakes between 3:00 and 4:00. On those days, he'll go to bed at 7:00. And regardless of when he goes to bed, he'll wake up around 6:30 a.m.

17. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: So cute on IG sharing an ice cream.

Isaac sure likes his sesame street. Usually on the weekends we let him watch one episode in the morning. This morning I didn't put the tv on as he was happily playing. Later on in the morning he came up to me and grabbed my hand and took me over to his chair. He then sat down and asked to be picked up. So I picked him up and he pointed at the tv and said cook. That is his word for cookie or cookie monster. I couldn't say no to all that effort. He was clapping and dancing he was so excited that I put it on. Then 10 minutes later he was back to playing with his toys.

18. Adira

@ALV91711: Awww, that is so cute!!

19. Smurfette

Thanks everyone!! I think that we are going to stick with the same schedule for now. She was asleep by 730 twice this weekend. It helps that I would see her on the monitor rolling around like a Mad woman, I would say R got to sleep! It was funny seeing her look around like where is Mommy/Daddy. But it helped her settle down and go to sleep!

20. Adira

@Smurfette: Yay!! Glad to hear she's finally getting some decent sleep! I just hope that that carries through during the week while she's at daycare! And that's too funny about you talking to her through the monitor and her looking around!

21. Smurfette

@Adira: Yeah she is still getting closet to 10.5 hours and not 11, which I would like. Oh well, she has been in a good mood. We will see what this week brings. Day care has a teacher work day on Friday, so DH is taking off and they are spending the day together. They have an year of summer party Thursday, so I need to leave work early for that. Hopefully work is going to be ok with it.

22. Adira

@Smurfette: Yeah, at least she was in a good mood! Maybe 10.5 is all she needs? That'll be fun for R to spend the day with Daddy on Friday! And hopefully your work is cool about you leaving early on Thursday. Mine is usually pretty flexible, but it all depends on what we're working on at the time.

23. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

Good morning, everyone!

@ALV91711: Yes, you definitely have to reward all that effort to see Cookie! I love that he dances and gets all excited. Totally adorable!

@Smurfette: Haha, I would never in a million years have thought that saying, "R go to sleep!" through the monitor would have been the winning strategy! So funny! And happy that she's on a better schedule for you now!

Pete's been chatting up a storm this week. Still no "Mama" but that's okay! Right now he says up, woof, moo, meow, uh-oh, O's, burp, eat, go, and stop. I can't believe he says burp before mama!

We are going to meet a possible new family member this afternoon, a dog named Lulu Lemon. She's an 8 year old beagle, rescue, and she's supposed to be a super sweet family dog. I'm so excited to meet her!! I just hope our current dog, who is a real grouch, will get along with her...

24. Adira

@QueensBee: That's a pretty good vocabulary, even if it doesn't include Mama! Does he really say "burp" correctly, because that would be VERY impressive!

Good luck with the dog meet! Hopefully the two dogs get along okay!

25. Smurfette

@Adira: They usually are good. I would have taken off Friday but it is the first of the month, so no time off for me, my busy time. Plus we each take 1 of the 2 days, so I did the May date this year.
    @QueensBee: I figured it would make her upset, but DH tried it and it worked. Crazy!
    R is starting to talk a lot more too. Still mostly babbles, but starting to understand more. Bubbles is currently her favorite word.
    Good luck with the dog!! R has been around them a couple times, but FLIPPED out Sat at friend's pool. All 3 dogs, if they were near her huge tears.

26. Adira

@Smurfette: Sounds like how Xander has been with dogs sometimes. When we visited our in-laws, they have a big dog (lab) and a little dog (no idea what kind) and every time the little dog came near him, he started screaming and clutching me and begging to be picked up! He's actually better with big dogs, surprisingly! I think because the ones he's been around tend to be more mellow and this little dog was very hyper.

27. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Adira: There's a poem I sing to him about a frog who burps in the bathtub. He repeats "burp!" when I say it in the poem. His version sounds like "bup." I don't think he actually knows what a burp is in real life though!

@Smurfette: @Smurfette: Thanks! Dog meet up got canceled for this afternoon. The foster mom had a bit of an emergency at home and can't do it. Hopefully tomorrow.

Pete loves dogs, which is why I'm interested in getting another. There are lots of dogs in our neighborhood who come by to visit our dog. He loves to throw balls for them and to stick out his hand for a lick. He is definitely still learning to be gentle though and often goes out of his way to rile our dog up, sigh.

28. Adira

@QueensBee: haha, that's cute!!

29. Mrs. High Heels

@Smurfette: Haha, we talk through the monitor too..! It's funny how they actually listen.

@QueensBee: Aww what a good lil' talker! So cute that he likes the animal sounds. I bet hearing "uh-oh" is really fun too!

J has been imitating more and more words lately. Today, he strung his first two word phrase together - it was "get down". He was just imitating what I said, but said it a few times. At first I wasn't sure I heard correctly. I'm excited for him to use his words more.

30. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Mrs. High Heels: Wow! So awesome that he's already started on two words phrases! The words and signs make it so much easier keep them content during the day. I had no idea how opinionated Pete was until he started using them!

31. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: That is so cute that she was looking for you when you talked through the monitor. Glad that it worked.

@QueensBee: What a lot of words. Hopefully you get to meet the dog tomorrow.

@Adira: Isaac likes dogs if they stay still so he can pet them. If they start walking around he gets a bit iffy.

@Mrs. High Heels: I can't believe he said a phrase. That is so awesome.

Isaac's new word today is Lila, that is one of the girls in his daycare that he likes to play with. It was so cute, he said her name a couple times then walked over to her to say bye bye.

32. Adira

@Mrs. High Heels: That's awesome that J has strung together two words!! We definitely don't have that here yet.

@ALV91711: OMG, that's adorable that he says her name!!

33. Smurfette

@Mrs. High Heels: two words together! That is awesome!
    @ALV91711: so sweet!

34. Adira

So Xander's latest thing is to point to his tray when I'm serving him food. I'll cut up sausage, bring it over to his tray where he's eating, and he'll just point his finger down at the tray and tap it a few times like "Here, put it right here." It's so stinkin' cute!

35. Mrs. High Heels

@ALV91711: that's adorable! Soon enough he's going to have his very own BFF.

@Adira: Awww!! It's like he became a foodie overnight!

36. Adira

@Mrs. High Heels: Except he's now boycotting sausage, which was the only meat he'd eat! Ugh!!!

37. Mrs. High Heels

@Adira: my kids are the same way. One day they'll loove a certain food, then the next day look at me like I'm trying to feed them poison! I'm sure he'll come around again! I mean, it's sausage - yum!

38. Adira

@Mrs. High Heels: Yeah, I hope so!! He won't eat any other meats, so I'm like "You LOVE sausage! EAT IT!" haha

39. Smurfette

@Adira: welcome to toddler pickiness. One day they love it and the next day it is the devil's food.

40. Adira

@Smurfette: I guess I should just be thankful he's eating finger foods at all! And when I DO give him jarred baby food, I can just put it in a bowl and give him a spoon.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee